ADVERTISEMENT

respect for Champe now...?

Couple of thoughts on John Champe.

I'm not sure where they are being "disrespected." They're 11-0, for goodness sake! Any disrespect likely stems from the fact that they are only four years old and the state at-large knows little about them.

Champe's facilities are top-notch and so were the people we dealt with. First-class folks. Thanks to them for a fun working environment.

Champe has no obvious weaknesses. Their QB, Burdick, is a superb field general with a VERY quick first step. He is their leader.

Their coaching also seems to be impeccable. They used their off-week to come up with a punt formation that effectively eliminated one of GW's best weapons---CJ Graves on the Punt Return. After they ran a fake in the first-quarter, we had to honor that. Well done Knight coaches!

GW had a starting Wide Receiver thrown out in the first series for what the referee called
"fighting." It was the most uneventful fight in human history. The flag came down in a pile near the tackle and the coaches film doesn't really show anything, since it pauses in between plays. The best explanation we got is that the kid "threw a punch" at someone. The kid says he didn't. Might wanna make sure of things before you eject a kid in a playoff game.

The officiating was fair, but I took exception with a personal foul call on a third-down play from the 20 while Champe was driving for what would turn out to be the game-winning Field Goal. It appeared to be little more than exaggerated pushing and shoving from both sides after the tackle. Again, that's a first-quarter call---not a fourth-quarter call when a team is driving for a win.

All told, I was proud of GW and wish nothing but good luck to Champe the rest of the way!

Last edited:
Reactions: mike salem
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT