ADVERTISEMENT

Respot after missed field goal

Oct 23, 2010
I though in HS football the ball was respoted at the 20 after a missed field goal. But, at a game I attended Friday night A reached B's 6 and missed a FG and the ball was respoted at B's 6 instead of B's 20

A field goal try is exactly the same as a punt, except it can score. If the ball only makes it to the 6, that's where it goes.

So if the FG is missed the ball goes back to the point from which it was snapped on the kick?

No. It goes wherever it ends up. If it is missed but breaks the plane of the goal line, it is a touchback, same as a punt or kickoff breaking the plane of the goal line.

If it doesn't make it to the goal line, all the same rules apply as if it were a punt. The defense (Receiving team) can pick it up and run. If it goes out of bounds, it will be placed at that spot. If it comes to rest with no player in pssession, it will be placed at that spot.

I think NCAA and NFL move missed FG attempts back to the line of scrimmage or spot of the kick (NCAA might not, I'm not sure) but in high school football, that's never an option. It's either a score, a touchback, or a funny-looking punt.

Appreciate you guys responding to posts and keeping us informed on the rules! We had a xp kick Fri night into a howling wind that cleared the goal by about 20 yards, kept ballooning into the wind, went backwards and then dropped onto the crossbar and fell over the bar. They called it good and my thought was that once it passed through the goalposts and over the cross bar it would be good regardless of what the wind did to it afterward.

Spartan, you are correct. Once it goes between the uprights and over the crossbar, it'sgood, even if blown back.

Question for Gridiron Guru: I just reread your original question and I think I misread it the first time. I took you to mean that the kick only made it to the 6, but as I reread it, team A made it to the 6 and that was the line of scrimmage, so the missed FG attempt likely made it across the goal line. Is that right?

My answers above are still the same, but I can see where it would be confusing. Sounds like the crew on your game erred in placing the ball back at the line of scrimmage.

If the kick was unsuccessful but broke the goal line, it's a touchback. 1st & 10 from the 20.

As White Hat said, an unsuccessful FGA is treated exactly like a punt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT