ADVERTISEMENT

Richlands no business playing Glenvar

Nov 4, 2016
Richlands has successfully moved down to play smaller schools. Yeah yeah I'm sure the numbers add up but Glenvar playing Richlands is a joke. Richlands should be playing the Roanoke schools, Salem, Pulaski, Cave Spring, Northside, William Byrd
Richlands can't hang with the average boys anymore? no they actually CAN compete with the above schools they just want to be a big fish in a little pond.
None of those schools I mentioned used to play Richlands at playoff time. None of the schools I mentioned ever play Glenvar, not a game, not a scrimmage, because it's totally unmatched.

With the travel time it should also be a Saturday game, two and half hours yes, on abbot buses maybe a little longer.
Glenvar is Roanoke County but lovingly a part of Salem so you obviously know why I don't like Richlands.

My parents even graduated from Richlands and even they can't stand the football program because they don't play by the rules.

Enjoy your win Richlands when you decide to come back and play some competition come on back to Salem Stadium I dare you.

Do you always cry this much? Perhaps a counselor could help you cope with your obvious troubled past with high school football. Grow up man. Richlands is basically the same size as glenvar now. They have less students than apoattox,goochland, Robert e lee, lee high, Clarke county and I'm sure there's others. They're not even close to the biggest school in
2A. Head off to the beach and drop off all that salt you're carrying around.

Do you always cry this much? Perhaps a counselor could help you cope with your obvious troubled past with high school football. Grow up man. Richlands is basically the same size as glenvar now. They have less students than apoattox,goochland, Robert e lee, lee high, Clarke county and I'm sure there's others. They're not even close to the biggest school in
2A. Head off to the beach and drop off all that salt you're carrying around.

Btw, traveling on charter takes no more time than in a car..imo. Guess it all depends on the driver.

Richlands has successfully moved down to play smaller schools. Yeah yeah I'm sure the numbers add up but Glenvar playing Richlands is a joke. Richlands should be playing the Roanoke schools, Salem, Pulaski, Cave Spring, Northside, William Byrd
Richlands can't hang with the average boys anymore? no they actually CAN compete with the above schools they just want to be a big fish in a little pond.
None of those schools I mentioned used to play Richlands at playoff time. None of the schools I mentioned ever play Glenvar, not a game, not a scrimmage, because it's totally unmatched.

With the travel time it should also be a Saturday game, two and half hours yes, on abbot buses maybe a little longer.
Glenvar is Roanoke County but lovingly a part of Salem so you obviously know why I don't like Richlands.

My parents even graduated from Richlands and even they can't stand the football program because they don't play by the rules.

Enjoy your win Richlands when you decide to come back and play some competition come on back to Salem Stadium I dare you.
josephducreuxmemegeneratorwouldstthoucareforsomecheesewithyourwhine8e7b48.jpg

Two and a half hour bus ride constitutes a Saturday game???? Give me a break, my school of choice has district games that are two hour bus rides and some of the teams in the first round had to drive over four hours on school buses for their first round games. If you don't want to have to travel, it's simple, win more games so you can host.

Yeah, this is a silly thread. The matchups are what they are. Enrollment is what it is. I actually think this will be a better game than many give it credit for.

"The concentration of salt in seawater (salinity) is about 35 parts per thousand. Stated in another way, about 3.5 percent of the weight of seawater comes from the dissolved salts; in a cubic mile of seawater, the weight of the salt (in the form of sodium chloride) would be about 120 million tons."
-per NOAA

The concentration of salitness in oldeSalem is 1000 parts per thousand. Stated in another way, about 100%.

Allow me to disprove this real quick.

"Richlands has successfully moved down to play smaller schools."

2A football is enrollment 475-804. The largest school in 2A? Goochland at 787. Richlands is the 14th largest, at 681. Glenvar is 40th, at 542. So yes, Richlands is a bit bigger than Glenvar, but Glenvar is still well inside 2A parameters, so get over it.

"Richlands should be playing the Roanoke schools, Salem, Pulaski, Cave Spring, Northside, William Byrd."

Salem - 1169. Pulaski - 1389. Cave Spring - 1009. Northside - 1024. William Byrd - 1125.

Richlands is playing William Byrd & Blacksburg (1188) next year. So you'll get your "dream" matchups then. But to say that Richlands is playing down and should be playing teams with sometimes DOUBLE their enrollment is just pain dumb.

"With the travel time it should also be a Saturday game, two and half hours yes, on abbot buses maybe a little longer."

The travel rule states that if the traveling school is less than three hours from the host school, the host school controls date and time. If it is over three hours, the traveling school controls date and time. Since Glenvar High School to Richlands High School is 2 hours and 10 minutes (by Apple Maps), Richlands gets the pick, and we play home games at 7:30 on Fridays. And yes, that is the right time. I interned with the Salem Red Sox this summer and made a periodic drive from Richlands to Salem, it doesn't take any longer than 2:15 unless there's a wreck on 81.

"Glenvar is Roanoke County but lovingly a part of Salem so you obviously know why I don't like Richlands."

That game was TWENTY FOUR F*%^&#$ YEARS AGO. Get over it. The kids on this team weren't even born then.

"Enjoy your win Richlands when you decide to come back and play some competition come on back to Salem Stadium I dare you."

No thanks. You got your "revenge" in 04 when you beat us in the state semis. We'll stick to playing our schedule, and y'all can yours.

Have a nice day. :)

Has Richlands won a title in 2A?

Love the program and the fans have more class than most. Enjoyed when they played at WM.

Not taking a shot at Richlands just trying to prove a point to this loud mouthed Glenvar fan.

Richlands is always a threat but not because of the reasons he names. They have one of the best coaches in the state and are a football town with kids who work hard to achieve the level of play they do.

Since you have so much faith in your team maybe you should just stay at home Friday

Richlands should be playing the Roanoke schools, Salem, Pulaski, Cave Spring, Northside, William Byrd
Nice ...you managed a compliment in the middle of an insult.

. Richlands should be playing the Roanoke schools, Salem, Pulaski, Cave Spring, Northside, William Byrd
- snip -
None of those schools I mentioned used to play Richlands at playoff time.

Are you talking back in the OLD days, when a lot fewer teams made the playoffs? And you had to win R IV to play an R III school?
Or the "not that long ago" period - because the Blues DID play Salem AND Hidden Valley.
Of course, more recently, there was a 4-year run of Cave Spring games.

Glenvar has played cave spring the past two years and they always have at least one or two 3a or 4a games whether it's William Byrd Lord Botetourt or Cave spring and believe it or not that little ole Glenvar holds their own.. As a fan and Graduate of Glenvar I resent the fact that you say Richlands has no business playing Glenvar.. Granted I Believe Richlands has the better athletes this year but that doesn't mean they don't have to play the game.. if Richlands doesnt Bing their A game then they very well could lose tomorrow night.. that's why we play the games.. And just a side note Glenvar played the first 3 games missing 8 starters and that's no exaggeration.. they literally looked like a Rec team.. You better believe little Glenvar has a game plan and they execute well without making the mistakes that beat em.. I'm excited to see this game along with Richlands facilities and Fans it should be a great atmosphere for a Friday night showdown..

Seems like enrollment all through swva is on the decline, I am just glad to see a team with that kind of following have success and be competitive each year. I have only seen them a few times since moving back to Augusta County, but the ones I've met at the games and talked with on here have been good people. Never gave that 'I'm better than you' impression that some fans of good programs put out there. Just passionate about their team. Best of luck In the playoffs Richlands!

I have a feeling this game will be pretty tight. Seems Glenvar has a pretty stout D. If they put in the right gameplan and Richlands doesnt get the ground game going it could come down to the wire. Hoping for a Blues victory. Just a shame i cant watch the Graham game as well.

Reactions: Keith_Stone33
Allow me to disprove this real quick.

"Richlands has successfully moved down to play smaller schools."

2A football is enrollment 475-804. The largest school in 2A? Goochland at 787. Richlands is the 14th largest, at 681. Glenvar is 40th, at 542. So yes, Richlands is a bit bigger than Glenvar, but Glenvar is still well inside 2A parameters, so get over it.

"Richlands should be playing the Roanoke schools, Salem, Pulaski, Cave Spring, Northside, William Byrd."

Salem - 1169. Pulaski - 1389. Cave Spring - 1009. Northside - 1024. William Byrd - 1125.

Richlands is playing William Byrd & Blacksburg (1188) next year. So you'll get your "dream" matchups then. But to say that Richlands is playing down and should be playing teams with sometimes DOUBLE their enrollment is just pain dumb.

"With the travel time it should also be a Saturday game, two and half hours yes, on abbot buses maybe a little longer."

The travel rule states that if the traveling school is less than three hours from the host school, the host school controls date and time. If it is over three hours, the traveling school controls date and time. Since Glenvar High School to Richlands High School is 2 hours and 10 minutes (by Apple Maps), Richlands gets the pick, and we play home games at 7:30 on Fridays. And yes, that is the right time. I interned with the Salem Red Sox this summer and made a periodic drive from Richlands to Salem, it doesn't take any longer than 2:15 unless there's a wreck on 81.

"Glenvar is Roanoke County but lovingly a part of Salem so you obviously know why I don't like Richlands."

That game was TWENTY FOUR F*%^&#$ YEARS AGO. Get over it. The kids on this team weren't even born then.

"Enjoy your win Richlands when you decide to come back and play some competition come on back to Salem Stadium I dare you."

No thanks. You got your "revenge" in 04 when you beat us in the state semis. We'll stick to playing our schedule, and y'all can yours.

Have a nice day. :)
Hey Ryan get this guy some milk. Ugh

I can already hear the complaining about enrollment next year when Poquoson drops to 2A next year. My son (a Poquoson grad) is already talking trash. They have always been competitive in 3A and won state (against Richlands) not too long ago. They will be a force in 2A East, but not because of their size. They have a very good program that feeds off of their well known wrestling team.

Please do at least one of the following:

1) Refrain from making any further comments.
And/or
2) Remove any reference to Salem from your username. You don't represent us.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Most schools seem to be dropping down. Very few 2A and 3A schools playing where they were even 5 years ago. I just wonder where all students are going. I recall where small schools were small schools.

I would say that the Blues have lost around 200 in enrollment over the last 12 to 15 years. My daughter graduated from UVA and then went to law school and had no real opportunity around here so her and her fiance moved to KC and are doing very well there. We need more diverse job opportunities here in far western Virginia. The coal may or may not come back, but most of the younger people are looking for some other type of career and it is just not here right now so they are leaving.

Reactions: kevtodd5
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT