ADVERTISEMENT

Richlands vs. Appomattox

Don't hold your breathe on that buddy, we bring back some key pieces
I know you lose Ragland, and he is an absolute monster player, but do you keep some of those defensive linemen? I feel like Ragland's all around ability, combined with that very strong defensive front, is what made this Buckingham team so tough.

Reactions: kevtodd5
Richlands already lining up

Reactions: RichlandsRyan
Wish I could be there with you guys today Ryan..........make a little extra noise for me !
GO BIG BLUE !
By the way, the last person out of town forgot to lock the door......but I got it....

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
You should see it when these 2 teams play each other ( Richlands vs Union ) . Gate City also has a fan base like this.
I'm sure Appo will have their side full also though, it should be a whale of an atmosphere at both games !

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
Many schools over on this side of the state have good followings. Heck, a Lee High/Powell Valley season opener back in the day would rival some of the biggest. Lee/Union now still brings some great crowds.

As for 12th man it dont get no better than it did that night. Stil wish i had video of it. As far as comebacks it will be notorius in my opinion. However the state game against Lee will also standout to show how tenacious the Raiders are. The Raiders kept that alive this year when you take into account the youth of the team as a whole.

As for 12th man it dont get no better than it did that night. Stil wish i had video of it. As far as comebacks it will be notorius in my opinion. However the state game against Lee will also standout to show how tenacious the Raiders are. The Raiders kept that alive this year when you take into account the youth of the team as a whole.
That Appo/Lee Championship had my nerves tore up the whole game lol...So did Richlands and Raiders.

I don’t care what anyone says, that game was the 2015 State Championship!

Totally agree! Appo completely destroyed the others after that.
Some will say the game against the state game against Clarke Co was not a blow out and score wise it was close for awhile but there was no question who the bully on the field was if you were there.

If Richlands and Appomattox play 10 times that year I say Appo wins 6 and Richlands 4 (only give us the advantage since we turned it over twice inside their 10.
Teams were VERY even!!!!

Last edited:
Winning close games is a sign of great coaching. The 2016 Appo team wasn't touchable at the 2A level. But, it wouldn't be far fetched to say Appo very closely only has one state title. If Richlands in 2015 gets 1 more, maybe 2 more (2 would have done it for sure, maybe even 1) first down in the late fourth, then Richlands would have won the game and ran out the clock. Last year, Lee led for much of the game and 1 play here or there and Appo is beat and only has one title.

The above are what could have happened, but they didnt happen. They didn't happen because Appomattox made it not happen. Appo iis extremely well coached and they are winners in every sense. That is the reason they won three in a row. Making a key play here or there or getting a key stop here or there is part of what makes a team a champion. Whether Richlands in 2015 or RE Lee in 2017, Appo was able to make one more play late to seal the deal.

Reactions: moto138
Totally agree! Appo completely destroyed the others after that.
Some will say the game against the state game against Clarke Co was not a blow out and score wise it was close for awhile but there was no question who the bully on the field was if you were there.

If Richlands and Appomattox play 10 times that year I say Appo wins 6 and Richlands 4 (only give us the advantage since we turned it over twice inside their 10.
Teams were VERY even!!!!
Clark got desperate near the end and took chances and tried to lay it on the line. Cant say that was wrong, will say i respect their coach to try like he did. Forgot his name, i think its Parker he is a great coach with spot on morals and ethics. Love the speech he gave his plsyers after the game. Great man in my eye.

Reactions: HS-SportsFan
Winning close games is a sign of great coaching. The 2016 Appo team wasn't touchable at the 2A level. But, it wouldn't be far fetched to say Appo very closely only has one state title. If Richlands in 2015 gets 1 more, maybe 2 more (2 would have done it for sure, maybe even 1) first down in the late fourth, then Richlands would have won the game and ran out the clock. Last year, Lee led for much of the game and 1 play here or there and Appo is beat and only has one title.

The above are what could have happened, but they didnt happen. They didn't happen because Appomattox made it not happen. Appo iis extremely well coached and they are winners in every sense. That is the reason they won three in a row. Making a key play here or there or getting a key stop here or there is part of what makes a team a champion. Whether Richlands in 2015 or RE Lee in 2017, Appo was able to make one more play late to seal the deal.
2016 was untouchable?! Richlands was a more stacked team in 2015 than 2016..I have always said, 2015 would beat 2016 just on passing game. 2016 didnt have the best secondary compared to 2015. Plus 2015 WRs were GREAT! 2016 had too many dropped passes. that would be another factor. We had 3 seniors on 2015 (perkins, Busta, Deshawn thomas, and undergrad Graves) that just didnt drop the ball. And Page was a more accurate passer than Scruggs. Another thing.....Buckingham was was a MONSTER that only lost to Appo in OT then gave Richlands a hard fought game. I say the top 3 teams in 2A met each other that year.

Wasn't this the game where Richland's offense turned ball over in the end zone on the first play of the game and Appo recovered & got a TD? Sometimes these past games run together, lol.

2016 was untouchable?! Richlands was a more stacked team in 2015 than 2016..I have always said, 2015 would beat 2016 just on passing game. 2016 didnt have the best secondary compared to 2015. Plus 2015 WRs were GREAT! 2016 had too many dropped passes. that would be another factor. We had 3 seniors on 2015 (perkins, Busta, Deshawn thomas, and undergrad Graves) that just didnt drop the ball. And Page was a more accurate passer than Scruggs. Another thing.....Buckingham was was a MONSTER that only lost to Appo in OT then gave Richlands a hard fought game. I say the top 3 teams in 2A met each other that year.

2015 team may have been better than 2016, but that doesn't have anything to do with the competition. The teams to compete with them were further apart than in 2015.

Wasn't this the game where Richland's offense turned ball over in the end zone on the first play of the game and Appo recovered & got a TD? Sometimes these past games run together, lol.
Yes. One of the Kelso brothers made a huge hit and knocked ball out if I remember correct.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT