ADVERTISEMENT

Richlands vs Appomattox

Man idk... They played Magna Vista, Dan River and GW really really tough. Beat a 5a 42-0 and another playoff team in Tunstall, 50-0. Bro Martinsville isn't a team to take lightly at all.
I agree that Martinsville is much better than folks realize, but citing blowout wins against Tunstall and Halifax doesn't do much to support your point. The bottom teams of the Piedmont District are really bad.

Reactions: VolNation85
I agree that Martinsville is much better than folks realize, but citing blowout wins against Tunstall and Halifax doesn't do much to support your point. The bottom teams of the Piedmont District are really bad.
My money says that they are a lot better than some of the teams Richlands and Graham play.

My money says that they are a lot better than some of the teams Richlands and Graham play.

Allow me to prove you wrong.

Richlands. 9-1. Results:

5-5 Gate City W
9-1 Union W
9-1 Graham W
3-7 Central-Wise W
3-7 Virginia W
4-6 Bluefield W
2-8 Tazewell W
7-3 Grundy W
9-1 Abingdon L
4-6 Lebanon W

That equals 55-45. If you take away the results of the games against Richlands, that comes down to a 54-36 combined record.

Graham. 9-1. Results:

4-6 Bluefield W
2-8 Tazewell W
9-1 Richlands L
7-3 Giles W
9-1 Abingdon W
2-8 Grayson W
8-2 Galax W
4-6 Bland W
7-3 Ft. Chiswell W
6-4 Narrows W

That equals 58-42. If you take away the results of the games against Graham, that comes down to 57-33.

Martinsville. 7-3. Results:

0-10 Morehead W
3-7 McMichael W
6-4 Floyd W
9-1 Dan River L
8-2 Magna Vista L
2-8 Halifax W
7-3 George Washington L
5-5 Tunstall W
1-9 Bassett W
1-9 Patrick W

That equals 42-58. If you take away the results of the games against Martinsville, that comes down to 39-51.

Martinsville may play some bigger schools, but they don't play better TEAMS than Richlands or Graham.

Who cares? You care. You just posted your opinion on the subject. What relevance as to whether or not Giles or Appo is guaranteed to play the following week have? I would love to see Giles and Appo and I do care. I do think Appo IS in fact, guaranteed to make it two round two. They will blow their first round opponent out. As for Giles.....they need to worry about game one. But as fans, we can talk about round four and the semis if we want. It's a beautiful thing and fun.
U just made my argument for me, that's my point. Why worry about a horn two weeks from now when there is a game to be played this week first. Sure Appomattox will win big but Giles is not guaranteed a win Friday.

Is this Giles horn everyone talks about that loud? Hahaha even if it is who cares I don't see what that has to do with what's going on with the game. I think you should be able to blow it the whole time. I know when I played against Nelson many many moons ago their announcer would call out wether it was a run or pass during the play over the loud speaker.

Actually that horn is LOUD. Louder than the one we got (we blow ours on scores only & its on the field near endzone, not in crowd). We came to Giles in 2013 and they blew it during huddles, qb cadences and other inappropriate times. Yes, it changed that game in what was the worse reffed game I have witnessed in my lifetime. I had players tell me they jumped offside because that horn was blowing during our qb cadence counts. Our TE jumped 3 times cause he said he couldn't hear qb due to the horn. They blew it more & more when we had them on their heels. Im glad they got a taste of own medicine when Glenvar bought one this year. Giles is disrespectful with theirs and it can disrupt a game. Our players was not prepared for that environment when we was there. I kept saying, that cannot be permitted, but eventually I was like, "I guess that is the norm here."

That's such bull crap and u know it. I won't even comment what a referee would do if that happened. Still sore loser over that lose in 2013. Get over it already. I see u cry more then anyone on this board. I say u should be enjoying yourself, your team is great and is my pick to win it all. I have a feeling next year u will have a reason to cry, until then enjoy it.

Lol, I'd be embarrassed to say we got beat by a horn. Grow up pal. The horn may be blown some in huddle but never while qb is under center. I assure you if we make it past Marion we won't cry without our horn. You got a great football team and I think everyone expects you to be there in the end. Good luck to you

No disrespect to any of y'all but the ONLY team that will come close to beating Appomattox is Dan River. I've seen Martinsville and I believe they will make some noise also but I have my money on Appomattox and Dan River to come out of the West.

The Graham High School G men have more athletes than either of those teams. They are young and that could be their downfall. Graham will probably play Martinsville in round 2. We will see.
Richlands, Union and Giles are as physical and well coached as they come. They could beat anybody on any given night. I don't buy Appi and Dan River being heads and shoulders above any of those teams. Spartans may pull the upset in round #2 and I wouldn't be surprised at all.

I

Last edited:
I, quite frankly, would be stunned if Giles won that one. Happily stunned.

Also, not quite sure about the whole "Graham has more athletes" claim either.

Reactions: VolNation85
The Graham High School G men have more athletes than either of those teams. They are young and that could be their downfall. Graham will probably play Martinsville in round 2. We will see.
Richlands, Union and Giles are as physical and well coached as they come. They could beat anybody on any given night. I don't buy Appi and Dan River being heads and shoulders above any of those teams. Spartans may pull the upset in round #2 and I wouldn't be surprised at all.

I
My man Graham plays Tazewell, Narrows, Grayson County and Martha Stewert's powder puff team lol seriously though Martinsville's schedule is 5x harder than that with GW, MV and Dan River alone. No comparison. You got it though big guy!

I'm not sure that is what he is saying.

Youre right. He was saying Martinsville is better than SOME of those teams on their schedule. I believe him and we will find out Friday. But Graham and Richlands are better than some teams on Martinsville's schedule as well. Lets see how they handle Grundy, which i believe they will beat comfortably.

What I'm saying is that Martinsville's record is not as good as Graham and Richlands because the teams that they played are way better than the teams that Graham and Richlands played. I'm not trying to be disrespectful but I feel like Martinsville is way more battle tested. Tunstall, Halifax, and McMichael are all better than Narrows, Tazewell, Grayson County, Grundy, Lebanon, etc. To make a long story short, don't sleep on Martinsville. They've played the big boys all year and they won't go down as easily as you think.

What I'm saying is that Martinsville's record is not as good as Graham and Richlands because the teams that they played are way better than the teams that Graham and Richlands played. I'm not trying to be disrespectful but I feel like Martinsville is way more battle tested. Tunstall, Halifax, and McMichael are all better than Narrows, Tazewell, Grayson County, Grundy, Lebanon, etc. To make a long story short, don't sleep on Martinsville. They've played the big boys all year and they won't go down as easily as you think.

Cmon man lets be real here. Richlands and Graham played some BIG BOYS too. The only difference among them and Martinsville is they actually won some of those.
Richlands played now 9-1 Graham, 9-1 Union and 9-1 Abingdon and won 2 of those. All close games. Graham played now 9-1 Richlands, 7-3 Giles, 8-2 Galax and 9-1 Abingdon and lost only one of those.
Martinsville played 8-2 MV and lost soundly giving up 51 points. Played 7-3 GW and lost soundly. Lost to 9-1 Dan River in a close game which says something about them. Not saying they are bad. But theres no logic in your argument.

Last edited:
Cmon man lets be real here. Richlands and Graham played some BIG BOYS too. The only difference among them and Martinsville is they actually won some of those.
Richlands played now 9-1 Graham, 9-1 Union and 9-1 Abingdon and won 2 of those. All close games. Graham played now 9-1 Richlands, 7-3 Giles, 8-2 Galax and 9-1 Abingdon and lost only one of those.
Martinsville played 8-2 MV and lost soundly giving up 51 points. Played 7-3 GW and lost soundly. Lost to 9-1 Dan River in a close game which says something about them. Not saying they are bad. But theres no logic in your argument.
Cool. Ignore the fact that most of these wins are against some of the worst teams in the entire state. I guess that's still not enough logic for you huh? Let's be real for a second. Most of the teams that all of these teams you mentioned played are some of the slowest, low numbered, and undersized teams in the state. I'd take a 7-3 schedule that Martinsville plays over a 10-0 schedule any team out there plays. Now this is a really dumb argument and I'm out. Whatever Graham does, Martinsville has seen with GW and Magna Vista. If Martinsville loses it won't be because of talent like in the past.

Cool. Ignore the fact that most of these wins are against some of the worst teams in the entire state. I guess that's still not enough logic for you huh? Let's be real for a second. Most of the teams that all of these teams you mentioned played are some of the slowest, low numbered, and undersized teams in the state. I'd take a 7-3 schedule that Martinsville plays over a 10-0 schedule any team out there plays. Now this is a really dumb argument and I'm out. Whatever Graham does, Martinsville has seen with GW and Magna Vista. If Martinsville loses it won't be because of talent like in the past.
I'll take a 5-5 Gate City or Bluefield over top of Patrick Co or Bassett. Period.

If Graham and Martinsville meet in the 2nd round. That would have to be the best matchup for that week. Just because teams are from SWVA doesn't mean they don't have Athletes.

Danville, thanks for sticking up for the Dogs but we know our place in the football hierarchy. We had a good year against bad teams. MV game was a 1 score game 44-37 with less than 3 minutes to go and we were driving but an int returned deep into dogs territory and a score with less than 1:30 to go made the final 51-37. I guess that's getting beat soundly. GW is the only game where I didn't think we could win because we got down 2 scores early and we had a rash of injuries that week. But it is what it is. Just waiting on bball I guess. But we ain't going to be strong in that either. Our schedule is too weak in basketball also.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Richlands has played 5 games against teams from the Piedmont District over the last 12 years, including games against Magna Vista and Martinsville. They won all 5 ... by an average margin of 38-13.
I forgot to mention they were all playoff games.

D*mn right! Richlands has had teams in the past that I'd put against some D2 college teams and so has Graham during the Bradshaw days. No way am I insinuating that these two programs are inferior, but I'm not sold on the competition they play. Martinsville may very well play a weak schedule in your eyes, but IMO it's no worst than the schedules the best teams in far SWVA plays.

You guys are all over the reason I think the points system is flawed.

This is all complete speculation, but here's an example. I firmly, without question, my opinion believe that a 3-7 McMichael squad would go every bit of 7-3 (or maybe even 8-2) against the same schedule as a 4-6 Bland.

I think I'll just worry about our Friday night date with Grundy first though.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
You guys are all over the reason I think the points system is flawed.

This is all complete speculation, but here's an example. I firmly, without question, my opinion believe that a 3-7 McMichael squad would go every bit of 7-3 (or maybe even 8-2) against the same schedule as a 4-6 Bland.

I think I'll just worry about our Friday night date with Grundy first though.
Thank you Mayberry!!! I'd say even an 0-11 Morehead would probably be .500 or better.

Let's just see how these teams match up against each other before questioning strength of schedule. Most likely it will be Martinsville at Graham and Union at Dan River. Let's just see what happens. The outcome of those two games should settle.

Everyone is going to get to see the matchups they wanna see. All the top seeded teams will blow out their opponents. Martinsville will handle Grundy with ease in my opinion.....and Richlands, Graham, Union, and DR will roll to probably a 40-45 pt margin of victory between all those games combined.

The whole talk about playing a tough schedule against 3A, 4A, and 5A schools is all relevant....providing those schools arent as porous as a minnow bucket. When they have awful losing records.....the size of the school is irrelevant and makes it hard to make any sort of point at all. I think Martinsville is good.....but I wouldnt base it off of who they've played.

Let's just see how these teams match up against each other before questioning strength of schedule. Most likely it will be Martinsville at Graham and Union at Dan River. Let's just see what happens.

Yea, I'm not too caught up in the SOS argument myself other than the skew it can have on the points, which then rewards or penalizes a team by a couple of spots one way or the other. If you are who you say you are, then the cream will rise to the top. It's just tougher make to that happen on the road sometimes though.

Anyhow, I'm a Martinsville guy who is fully aware of the G-Men's program. In fact, they are a lot like the Dogs at the present moment. Both programs had some stellar teams and multiple state championship appearances all throughout the 70s, 80s and 90s, but have had some lean years for the last decade or so. Both programs appear to be on the rise. I feel like if it's the Dogs that come to Bluefield in round 2, they have to be the underdog, but it won't be because of not having seen anything like Graham's athleticism.

Stormcatcher what years did Magna Vista play Richlands in the playoffs since '04? Last game I remember was 04 when a 4-5 MV team came to Richlands and led most of the game and got beat on a late td by I think current Blacksburg coach Thad Wells. Final was 24-20. Had kin playing for MV at the time. Only trip I've made to Richlands for a football game and it was a great atmosphere for hs football.

Stormcatcher what years did Magna Vista play Richlands in the playoffs since '04? Last game I remember was 04 when a 4-5 MV team came to Richlands and led most of the game and got beat on a late td by I think current Blacksburg coach Thad Wells. Final was 24-20. Had kin playing for MV at the time. Only trip I've made to Richlands for a football game and it was a great atmosphere for hs football.
That was the last time they played. Richlands won the Region IV championship the next week by defeating Bassett, and then lost to Salem, the eventual state champion, in the semi-finals.

I can tell yea eveybody playing for 2nd place . Appomattox believe it or not there better then last year . They completely destroyed one of the best 4A schools in Amherst . Size speed nobody can come close . I'm not a fan of Appomattox just witness couple of there games . Just telling eveybody like it is .

I would put Appo as the odds on favorite right now, but I don't think I would hand them the ring just yet. There are some pretty good football teams out there that just might have something to say about that.
I'm sure Appo is very good, but anything can and usually does happen in high school football !

D*mn right! Richlands has had teams in the past that I'd put against some D2 college teams and so has Graham during the Bradshaw days. No way am I insinuating that these two programs are inferior, but I'm not sold on the competition they play. Martinsville may very well play a weak schedule in your eyes, but IMO it's no worst than the schedules the best teams in far SWVA plays.

I believe Martinsville is a good team. But your camparison in schedules made no sense to me. I think their SoS was pretty similar but you made it look like Martinsville had the much tougher schedule which i disagree with. They all played some weak teams and they all played some very good teams. We will see how it works out in the next couple of weeks. It definately sounds like Martinsville has some athletes and could make some noise. Again, lets sit back and enjoy seeing how it plays out.

Appo is the rightful favorite, at least a TD against every 2A team IMO if you were putting up odds, but Graham has the best RB in 2A and its hard to bet against that in most games. Dan River gave Appo a tough fight on the road, and Union sits at 9-1 with only a one point loss at Richlands in OT. Graham is in same boat, but they have better wins (notably Abingdon) and also had a lead on Richlands.

I don't know much about Martinsville, but I seriously doubt many people up that way know much about Graham. Martinsville has played a tough schedule, but they don't have that big breakthru victory. Touting their schedule is nice and all, but when acting as if Graham has played a lesser schedule simply because of the 3 or 4 ahead of the A on some of Martinsvilles teams is really short sighted. Graham has a victory over the #3 seed in 3A (their only L), beat Giles and the top seed in 1A, Galax, who can play with any team in 1-3A.
Graham didn't feast on Twin Springs or Rye Cove, they beat some of the cream of the crop. Their schedule is extremely legit, how else would they be the #2 seed ahead of Richlands, at 9-1 who beat them (and #5 Union) and 9-1 Dan River, who's only loss is at Appomattox?

Appo is the rightful favorite, at least a TD against every 2A team IMO if you were putting up odds, but Graham has the best RB in 2A and its hard to bet against that in most games. Dan River gave Appo a tough fight on the road, and Union sits at 9-1 with only a one point loss at Richlands in OT. Graham is in same boat, but they have better wins (notably Abingdon) and also had a lead on Richlands.

I don't know much about Martinsville, but I seriously doubt many people up that way know much about Graham. Martinsville has played a tough schedule, but they don't have that big breakthru victory. Touting their schedule is nice and all, but when acting as if Graham has played a lesser schedule simply because of the 3 or 4 ahead of the A on some of Martinsvilles teams is really short sighted. Graham has a victory over the #3 seed in 3A (their only L), beat Giles and the top seed in 1A, Galax, who can play with any team in 1-3A.
Graham didn't feast on Twin Springs or Rye Cove, they beat some of the cream of the crop. Their schedule is extremely legit, how else would they be the #2 seed ahead of Richlands, at 9-1 who beat them (and #5 Union) and 9-1 Dan River, who's only loss is at Appomattox?
Everybody says DR played Appo tough. I want to say this, IT WAS POURING DOWN RAINING THE WHOLE TIME!!! I seriously dont think it would be same game on dry land. they minimized our speed on D.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldSchoolRaider
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT