ADVERTISEMENT

River Ridge District

Status
Not open for further replies.

VolNation85

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 29, 2013
I think we would all agree the top three team in the RRD (in alphabetical order) are Blacksburg, Pulaski, and Salem. My question is how much separation is there really between those top three teams?

I think they are all fairly even from what I have seen. I don’t think Blacksburg and Pulaski are using their weapons on offense as wisely they should. They have some that are primarily just playing defense and not offense for fear of getting injured which would hurt their teams defensively. In today’s game you need to have best 11 on the field at all times even if that means they go both ways. Teams don’t have the numbers that they once had that could allow players to go one way. I think both teams will have to play these players offensively more consistently if they are going to be successful for the remainder of the year in games against each other and in the playoffs as the competition increases.

Reactions: VolNation85
I think they are all fairly even from what I have seen. I don’t think Blacksburg and Pulaski are using their weapons on offense as wisely they should. They have some that are primarily just playing defense and not offense for fear of getting injured which would hurt their teams defensively. In today’s game you need to have best 11 on the field at all times even if that means they go both ways. Teams don’t have the numbers that they once had that could allow players to go one way. I think both teams will have to play these players offensively more consistently if they are going to be successful for the remainder of the year in games against each other and in the playoffs as the competition increases.

Blacksburg typically plays eight (8) players both ways - Goforth, Mitchell, Gholston, Collins, Mohamid, Mathena, Hairston and Early. Even leading tackler Parker Epperley (Linebacker) often gets plenty of offensive snaps in a game. I don’t think the Bruins could get much more two-way than the already are.

Reactions: VolNation85
I think we would all agree the top three team in the RRD (in alphabetical order) are Blacksburg, Pulaski, and Salem. My question is how much separation is there really between those top three teams?
The easiest way to answer your question is to say I guess we will find out. Blacksburg seems to be more speed then the other two teams, Pulaski seems to be more power, Salem seems to be a pretty good mix of both. But I haven't seen either team in person so this is just a guess based on how the teams have looked in the last few years.

Blacksburg typically plays eight (8) players both ways - Goforth, Mitchell, Gholston, Collins, Mohamid, Mathena, Hairston and Early. Even leading tackler Parker Epperley (Linebacker) often gets plenty of offensive snaps in a game. I don’t think the Bruins could get much more two-way than the already are.

I guess that’s your opinion but I disagree.

Blacksburg is improving week to week. Its hard to replace all the 3 years starters lost to graduation from last years team. The lines are getting better with each game. Defense wins championships, thats Blacksburg football and always has been. I'm very pleased with the hire of Coach Sloss and his staff, Blacksburg job Blacksburg guy as it should be. Onward # 31 Onward Bruins Onward Indians

Last edited:
Blacksburg is improving week to week. Its hard to replace all the 3 years starters lost to graduation from last years team. The lines are getting better with each game. Defense wins championships, thats Blacksburg football and always has been. I'm very pleased with the hire of Coach Sloss and his staff, Blacksburg job Blacksburg guy as it should be. Onward # 31 Onward Bruins Onward Indians
I agree! From what I have seen I think they are improving each week. They will be tested this week against Salem as with most weeks in the RRD. They are a very good football team. I think Coach Sloss is a great fit and great coach for Blacksburg.

Have not seen Bburg play so not sure about them at this point. I have seen both Salem and PC and they both have solid defenses. I would give the edge to Salem on offense because they have "play makers" and PC simply does not have that or really any identity. The line play for PC is not and has not been good and that was supposed to be their strength this year. They are not fundamentally sound and are big and slow. That is not good a combo when you run a zone read offense. As I have said the last half of the season will be interesting for PC as they start to face teams that are competitive and can play defense.

Have not seen Bburg play so not sure about them at this point. I have seen both Salem and PC and they both have solid defenses. I would give the edge to Salem on offense because they have "play makers" and PC simply does not have that or really any identity. The line play for PC is not and has not been good and that was supposed to be their strength this year. They are not fundamentally sound and are big and slow. That is not good a combo when you run a zone read offense. As I have said the last half of the season will be interesting for PC as they start to face teams that are competitive and can play defense.
A big slow PC offense just won another game 49 to 12

As I have said the last half of the season will be interesting for PC as they start to face teams that are competitive and can play defense.

I'm sure Pulaski will be tough, but other than Northside they haven't really faced a competitive team. I haven't seen them play, but I agree that the 2nd half of the season will tell us more than beating Cave Spring will.

Reactions: Mccoy Bruin
Pulaski has a nice win against North side 14 0. However, the other four wins were against epically bad football teams. Second half of season they play 4 pretty good teams.

Reactions: Mccoy Bruin
Meatchop08 are you a PCHS alumni or just a PC hater? You said your son played on 2008 team which should have won State but did not because of the bone head descision by the coach to go for it on 4th down at the start of the game and not take the points.

Meatchop08 are you a PCHS alumni or just a PC hater? You said your son played on 2008 team which should have won State but did not because of the bone head descision by the coach to go for it on 4th down at the start of the game and not take the points.

You apparently do not know football by making a stupid comment like that. The so called bonehead move you refer too had NOTHING to do with the outcome of that game. A game in which PC controlled for the most part until a late interception and the loss of our best lineman on both sides of the ball (Miller) on that very same play is what changed that game completely. Get your facts straight. I certainly am a PC alum and no I do not care for the current coaching staff. I am just glad my son does not have to play for those clowns that call themselves coaches. They have and continue to systematically destroy the culture and history of what once was a very respected, relevant and competitive program. And unfortunately has not been either since 2008. It is abundantly clear you have no idea as to what was and what is when it comes to PC football. As far as eating crow goes there is no worry with that happening. This will be another year PC will not be relevant come playoff time due to the lack of coaching, discipline and accountability with in the program. That is and has been my opinion and of course you are certainly welcome to yours. While you continue to live in a dream the rest of us will continue to hope for a good house cleaning at PC.

You apparently do not know football by making a stupid comment like that. The so called bonehead move you refer too had NOTHING to do with the outcome of that game. A game in which PC controlled for the most part until a late interception and the loss of our best lineman on both sides of the ball (Miller) on that very same play is what changed that game completely. Get your facts straight. I certainly am a PC alum and no I do not care for the current coaching staff. I am just glad my son does not have to play for those clowns that call themselves coaches. They have and continue to systematically destroy the culture and history of what once was a very respected, relevant and competitive program. And unfortunately has not been either since 2008. It is abundantly clear you have no idea as to what was and what is when it comes to PC football. As far as eating crow goes there is no worry with that happening. This will be another year PC will not be relevant come playoff time due to the lack of coaching, discipline and accountability with in the program. That is and has been my opinion and of course you are certainly welcome to yours. While you continue to live in a dream the rest of us will continue to hope for a good house cleaning at PC.

So what is the problem at PC? Who needs to go and who should they be replaced with?

So you are saying that the no points at the beginning of the game did not matter? If you are so concern about the coaching situation at PC, have you made it know personal to the school or the coaches. Are you talking about some or all the coaching staff? Because I remember some of these coaching was part of Jack staff. If you don't all ready know, they have openings for the current football coaching staff if you want to apply. When did you graduate? I graduated 1973. Go Cougars!!!

I must say I love how on these forums ppl are so quick to use the phrase have you talked to the school or the coaches. I have had that said to me many times and yet I have no power to make these so called decisions and I'm guessing most of you all don't either. the man is entitled to his opinion as are you. get over it

I must say I love how on these forums ppl are so quick to use the phrase have you talked to the school or the coaches. I have had that said to me many times and yet I have no power to make these so called decisions and I'm guessing most of you all don't either. the man is entitled to his opinion as are you. get over it
Just stating if you are so concern with the way the program is going say something. So I guess you would just let it ride! If enough people would speak up things can change one way or the other least you have voiced your concerns and not on a forum where you can hide.

Always with the “hiding behind a keyboard” quips. Do you even message board, bro?

I don’t hide ever because I don’t have to and I don’t get told what to do either especially by someone hiding behind a keyboard. I’ll be at Louisa Friday in a braves jersey see you there

I didn't think they were as good as the team I saw last year. They don't have a lot of size but they do have some pretty nice skill position players. Fr RB Queemar Porter is lightning fast and is going to be a good one.

I don’t hide ever because I don’t have to and I don’t get told what to do either especially by someone hiding behind a keyboard. I’ll be at Louisa Friday in a braves jersey see you there
I am at every PC Cougars games for the kids since Joel Hicks started in 1979 and for the program and I don't agree with everything but where are you getting I am telling you what to do. I would love for PC to play your team Louisa Braves.

No it’s true and is a good indication of the nature of society in general. Blast a COACH and staff on a message board because you either don’t have the balls to do it in person OR don’t have the guts to go COACH yourself. Funny how it doesn’t matter if you live in Loudoun County or Pulaski County how valuable PARENTS think their opinion is.

Lot of tough guys on here. Every opinion is someone with “no balls”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT