ADVERTISEMENT

Riverheads at George Wythe

Aug 4, 2015
Why is it that so many people are surprised to see GW in this game. I talked to so many people this week that said GW would be getting ready for b ball this week. GW and Radford always play a good game against each other. I think if I am not wrong the last few times they have met. The team that wins the regular season game loses the play off game. Not sure if this is right. GW deserve to be in this game they have won 12 games in a row. And I will say this riverheads better bring their A game. Now I hope that I got this right iam going with my MAROON in this game 21 to 20. I think its going to be another close one. What does everyone else think. ROOMS FOR EVER I BLEED MAROON AND GRAY

The numbers said you guys would win regardless of the first game. I am not sure there were "many" people that were surprised. I think both teams will need their A game but since GW is at home they will be the slight favorite. I guess by around 4:30 we will know who moves on to Salem. I know personally I can't wait until Saturday.

On a side note, what is the mashup GW comes out to? That was a very cool entrance.

I had so many people from town and surrounding areas say the same thing GW is going to get destroyed by Radford again. Well I hope they all love the taste of crow and I think the surprise comes from how young we have 7 kids starting for the first time this year and we have still winning. Plus I don't know if it is surprise or hate cause the hate is strong towards GW. Now to the battle of GW vs Riverheads we have 2 teams on 12 game winning streaks in this one. Riverheads lines up and runs it at you and says here we are stop us if you can GW spreads you a bit and uses our size to move you. And our D is a run stopping D so this game should be a true football fans dream 2 teams who play smash mouth football in the trenches. I gotta go with MY MAROONS 28-21 good luck and congrats to all still playing.

Not s
The numbers said you guys would win regardless of the first game. I am not sure there were "many" people that were surprised. I think both teams will need their A game but since GW is at home they will be the slight favorite. I guess by around 4:30 we will know who moves on to Salem. I know personally I can't wait until Saturday.

On a side note, what is the mashup GW comes out to? That was a very cool entrance.

Not sure what it is it sounds cool. But iam old school. But it really gets the fans fired up. And also when the team comes down the steps to the field. Get the blood pumping

Regular season and playoff meetings between GW and Radford in the same season since 2000

2000- GW-12 Rad-3 Playoff Rad-3 GW-0
2002- Rad-26 GW-21 Playoff GW-33 Rad-7
2003- Rad-24 GW-14 Playoff Rad-23 GW-22
2009- GW-21 Rad-19 Playoff Rad-33 GW-28
2010- Rad-36 GW-35 Playoff Rad-26 GW-0
2011- GW-10 Rad-7 Playoff GW-22 Rad-10
2015- Rad-55 GW-27 Playoff GW-35 Rad- 28

Jorgen Odegard's remix of Led Zeppelin's "Black Dog". The first 10 seconds or so is looped so that voice overs of the players saying their name, number, year, and positions can be heard.

They've just switched to that song in recent weeks, but have doing something similar for a little while now. I liked the updated version that you heard Saturday 100 times better lol

This game should be the state championship game. Two hard nosed teams getting ready to battle it out. Both are rushing teams that can gain an edge very quickly by controlling outside runs. Can Riverheads cover the pass if we have to bring it out? Can Riverheads maintain control of the various trap plays? Who gained more momentum off of their win? In my opinion GW and the entire fan base will be pumped out of our minds. Not sure which win in the past 8 years was bigger. 2007 GW vs Giles Region C Championship. 2012 GW vs Honaker State Championship. Saturday's game vs Radford. I said the Radford game was going to be close but this one is hard to really predict. I see some big plays and I think one by either team will decide this. If harner comes out swinging unlike he did Saturday I see this game going big in score. 38-35 GW. Blaster I will see you Saturday. We are gonna have to sit and watch this game up on the hill.

Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
For you and me GDUB I think that 2007 win over Giles holds a special place lol. And this weeks win over Radford is huge for our momentum the kids are finally hitting the stride we knew they could. And ill see you Saturday on the HILL to watch a WAR the easy games are over everyone left doesn't have talent they are talent WHO WANTS IT MORE?

Thanks gw_loyal, I like when teams "own" their entrances like that.

And I am not sure where all this scoring will come from? If we excluded the Page County game( points scored against our subs),we are averaging under 10 points a game on D and I have a feeling your D is right there as well. I just don't see a huge scoring game but I could be wrong. As for style of play, Waynesboro, East Rock, Lee and Lunenburg all play a form of spread so we have played against something kinda of like you guys run. I think line play will be A key but not the only one. Missed tackles will kill whichever team commits them in this game. Being behind the chains is another big no-no in a big game like this. Again, we can talk circles around this game because it is truly a test for both teams. I am ready to see the field from the other side this week, lol.

Good lord willin and the creek don't rise I'll be at the game Saturday. One thing I have figured out about Riverheads do not sleep on them. And no I'm not implying that anyone on here is what I'm trying to say is when looking at them for the first time they will not impress you or at least they didn't me. They are not flashy at anything they do. What they do is line up on offense and run the ball right down your throat. You will know it's coming but most can't slow them down. I wouldn't call their offense very sophisticated but the run it to perfection. Defensively they are so well coached that you won't get them out of position you just have to out execute them to have success against them. Just my opinion on them with that being said GO SWVA!! GO MAROONS!!!

GW has only walked down them steps a couple times and it has always been in big games. I can't remember what year it was when I played but we walked down them to enter sandman and I believe we got a bigger pop from the crowd. It really surprised me that the turn out was not at capacity. You can ask Blaster. That was pretty lackluster for the importance of that game. I hope Riverheads travels well.

riverheads fans travel really well, should be a great game between 2 great teams and 2 great football programs, what time does the gate open cause we usually get there real early so we can get great seats GO BIG RED

It should be open at least an hour before the game and like I've told many others eat at CJ's Pizza at the top of the Hill or at Skeeters Hotdogs on Main st. And yeah that was a shabby size crowd to what we usually have the RR game was a good bit bigger this year can wait to see this game Saturday.

we should all meet somewhere at the game and see who we r talking to on va preps, I know a few from riverheads but there is a few I don't know and am trying to figure out who they are, u can find me with all my cowboys stuff. we will prob try out cjs pizza u cant go wrong with a good pizza.

I'm down with meeting up. Blaster and I will be at the top of the stadium on the home side. Most likely to the left of it as soon as you enter the gates.

Blaster just let me know where to be! I'll be the guy with a $10 dollar bill taped to my forehead holding a bottle of coke and a hotdog!!

Blaster, may I offer my congratulations to you and to the GW Maroons for making it to the final four in D1. I am not going to tell you that you have more than surprised me at times this year. The GW win over Radford was something special. I would have posted earlier but I have been under the weather, and still not at 100%. Best of luck against Riverheads.
Just a couple of things. Way back in the day, when the VHSL adopted the playoff format of divisions, Chilhowie was the first VHSL Champ in 1970. For several years Chilhowie ruled region C in the early 70's. I am not sure of the exact year, but Chilhowie met up with Riverheads in the Region C finals, played at Riverheads. I recall the game, as it was a night game and very cold. The most remembered thing that I recall was Chilhowie had a very sad situation that week that sadden our entire community. The father of one of our best defensive player passed away suddenly, like on Tuesday of the week. The whole community was upset. Our thoughts turned to this young man, and his family. Our coach told the player to take as long has he needed to be with his family. I recall the funeral was on Friday afternoon, the same day as the game that night at 7:30 at Riverheads. The player made it through a very though situation that week.
The remarkable thing was the player insisted on playing in the game. The coach tried to say no, but nothing would do but for the player to be with his team. So, how on earth was he going to get to Riverheads in a short time after the funeral. Welcome the VA State Police. Yes, be it good or bad, just so happened, I'll call my friend Gene, said Don't Worry, he will be there! Well you know that Gene and the player got in that cruiser and away they went, up I81. No one to this day knows just how fast that Plymouth Hemi Cruiser was going, but Gene, well let's just say got there in time for kick off.
Oh, by the way Chilhowie took care of business on the field that night as well, and was Region C Champs again. I hope my memory didn't fail me much in recalling this event, but that is the way everything went down.

Oh, on a much different note, I was in a store in town a couple of weeks ago, and ran into a very good friend of mind who I had not seen in several years. I was asking about his family, and I ask about his son. Well, as things would have it, his grandson is a big strapping fellow about 6'3" 260lbs Soph who just happens to play right smack dab in the middle of that Big offensive line at GW! By the way, his dad was big time player at Chilhowie back in the day.
You got some good blood lines at GW, My Friend! That is my story, and I am sticking to it!

Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
Blaster, may I offer my congratulations to you and to the GW Maroons for making it to the final four in D1. I am not going to tell you that you have more than surprised me at times this year. The GW win over Radford was something special. I would have posted earlier but I have been under the weather, and still not at 100%. Best of luck against Riverheads.
Just a couple of things. Way back in the day, when the VHSL adopted the playoff format of divisions, Chilhowie was the first VHSL Champ in 1970. For several years Chilhowie ruled region C in the early 70's. I am not sure of the exact year, but Chilhowie met up with Riverheads in the Region C finals, played at Riverheads. I recall the game, as it was a night game and very cold. The most remembered thing that I recall was Chilhowie had a very sad situation that week that sadden our entire community. The father of one of our best defensive player passed away suddenly, like on Tuesday of the week. The whole community was upset. Our thoughts turned to this young man, and his family. Our coach told the player to take as long has he needed to be with his family. I recall the funeral was on Friday afternoon, the same day as the game that night at 7:30 at Riverheads. The player made it through a very though situation that week.
The remarkable thing was the player insisted on playing in the game. The coach tried to say no, but nothing would do but for the player to be with his team. So, how on earth was he going to get to Riverheads in a short time after the funeral. Welcome the VA State Police. Yes, be it good or bad, just so happened, I'll call my friend Gene, said Don't Worry, he will be there! Well you know that Gene and the player got in that cruiser and away they went, up I81. No one to this day knows just how fast that Plymouth Hemi Cruiser was going, but Gene, well let's just say got there in time for kick off.
Oh, by the way Chilhowie took care of business on the field that night as well, and was Region C Champs again. I hope my memory didn't fail me much in recalling this event, but that is the way everything went down.

Oh, on a much different note, I was in a store in town a couple of weeks ago, and ran into a very good friend of mind who I had not seen in several years. I was asking about his family, and I ask about his son. Well, as things would have it, his grandson is a big strapping fellow about 6'3" 260lbs Soph who just happens to play right smack dab in the middle of that Big offensive line at GW! By the way, his dad was big time player at Chilhowie back in the day.
You got some good blood lines at GW, My Friend! That is my story, and I am sticking to it!

I do my best to be as accurate as I can when it comes to making my predictions and honest to a fault. And thanks for the congrats means a lot to have the respect of a gentlemen like you who has a great deal of knowledge not just about football but life. And that young man is Gavin Gray he is a load I was his first sandlot coach and was the first one to teach him how to snap the ball. He is a bull on the line with great smarts to read the D his speed strength and size don't hurt either lol. Again thanks for your positive posts and insight.

Chilhowie dominated all the schools from the old Alleghany-Highlands district back in the early-mid 70's; knocking of Natural Bridge in 1970, Parry McCluer in 1971, James River in 1972, Rockbridge in 1973 and Riverheads in 1975. In fact, I think that 1975 game was the last time Riverheads had to travel south of Radford for a game.

GW is about twice the size of Riverheads from what I have seen . So I hope they don't hurt our little guys ! Riverheads does not match up with GW . IMO . Might just be best to forfeit and save gas money !

Size means noting if we cant stop the run game Riverheads will be bringing this is going to be a war lol and I cant wait.

To clarify one point and ask a question about another............

The game that Riverheads lost to Chilhowie in 1975 was actually not played at Riverheads. It was moved into Staunton and played at Staunton Memorial Stadium, which is also the home field for RE Lee. The Gladiators played there both in 1975 and again in 1976 when they lost a 7-6 heartbreaker to Parry McCluer. Therefore our win over Lee in this year's season opener was our first win ever on that field. And by the way, both of those playoff games were cold beyond belief, but I think the PM one was colder.

As for how far south Riverheads has ever played, that would either be Radford or Giles, whichever one of those is further south. We played a regular season series with Radford a few years ago, so therefore we played them there in one of those games. We won both by the way. We have never had to make a long trip deep down into SW Va.

Now for my question....can someone post or direct me to where I could find GW's regular season scores? I always like to see what I can make of those. Thanks.

Reactions: mmqp
My bad! I was thinking Riverheads had to travel for that game. And VHSL-Reference.com should help you with the scores.

You can see all of our scores on max preps and a few highlights of some games. And I will say the Holston game looks like we didn't show up to play but it was 45-0 when we took the starters out and it was our second team jv Holstons varsity. A lot of the games this year the varsity didn't play a lot.

VHSL-Reference.com has the scores up to the Twin springs game so its missing the Bland game it was GW-56 Bland-12 they scored on our jv also. And it doesn't have the Radford score from Saturday.

This game should be the state championship game. Two hard nosed teams getting ready to battle it out. Both are rushing teams that can gain an edge very quickly by controlling outside runs. Can Riverheads cover the pass if we have to bring it out? Can Riverheads maintain control of the various trap plays? Who gained more momentum off of their win? In my opinion GW and the entire fan base will be pumped out of our minds. Not sure which win in the past 8 years was bigger. 2007 GW vs Giles Region C Championship. 2012 GW vs Honaker State Championship. Saturday's game vs Radford. I said the Radford game was going to be close but this one is hard to really predict. I see some big plays and I think one by either team will decide this. If harner comes out swinging unlike he did Saturday I see this game going big in score. 38-35 GW. Blaster I will see you Saturday. We are gonna have to sit and watch this game up on the hill.
So your forgetting Essex and how they have been to the ship many years now?

Now for my question....can someone post or direct me to where I could find GW's regular season scores? I always like to see what I can make of those. Thanks.

George Wythe

vs Radford (L 55-27)
@ Fort Chiswell (W 61-20)
vs Marion (W 57-20)
@ Galax (W 28-27)
@ Honaker (W 21-3)
vs Northwood (W 41-6)
vs Chilhowie (W 35-0)
@ Patrick Henry GS (W 38-33)
@ Holston (W 45-19)
vs Rural Retreat (W 29-28)
vs Twin Springs (W 49-0)
vs Bland (W 56-12)
vs Radford (W 35-28)

Last edited:
To clarify one point and ask a question about another............

The game that Riverheads lost to Chilhowie in 1975 was actually not played at Riverheads. It was moved into Staunton and played at Staunton Memorial Stadium, which is also the home field for RE Lee. The Gladiators played there both in 1975 and again in 1976 when they lost a 7-6 heartbreaker to Parry McCluer. Therefore our win over Lee in this year's season opener was our first win ever on that field. And by the way, both of those playoff games were cold beyond belief, but I think the PM one was colder.

As for how far south Riverheads has ever played, that would either be Radford or Giles, whichever one of those is further south. We played a regular season series with Radford a few years ago, so therefore we played them there in one of those games. We won both by the way. We have never had to make a long trip deep down into SW Va.

Thanks longtimershfan, for your info on those Ole games that took place about 40 years ago. I remember some of the things that took place, but obviously I got the place wrong. My bad. It is good to reminisce about those days of football. I don't have any written knowledge, just what is stored in this Ole head, and sometimes it gets a little fuzzy trying to member things in the far ago past. But thanks, My Friend!

I do my best to be as accurate as I can when it comes to making my predictions and honest to a fault. And thanks for the congrats means a lot to have the respect of a gentlemen like you who has a great deal of knowledge not just about football but life. And that young man is Gavin Gray he is a load I was his first sandlot coach and was the first one to teach him how to snap the ball. He is a bull on the line with great smarts to read the D his speed strength and size don't hurt either lol. Again thanks for your positive posts and insight.
Blaster, his father is Lee and his grandfather is Paul. I remember when Lee played football. He was a beast of a lineman. Paul was in the Touchdown Club, and we would watch Ole game films on reel to reel 16mm b/w film. It was pretty grainy and flickered a lot, but that was the technology back in those days, sort of like the family films that Chevy Chase watched in the attic in the movie Christmas Vacation, I think, or was it another one were he got trapped in the attic? Any way, it sure was good fellowship to gather with a bunch of guys and view the Ole films and talk about the games, Great times, My Friend!

Thanks Blaster for taking time to coach kids in sandlot ball. That says a lot about you as a person who cares about our youth, and now look today were the young man is! Just Great, My Friend!

OCboy you realize I'm speaking as a fan of my high school. This is an opinionated board. This game has the feelings and the makings to be a state championship game. Show me where at any point in time I downed Essex for any wrong reason. Keep in mind though the last time GW played a team from that area (Franklin 2012) everybody talked about GW not coming within 40 points of the Broncos and GW controlled that entire game. If you want my honest opinion Galax will beat Essex this Saturday and Essex will be very surprised when they do. You should read some more of the posts on here before you show up out of nowheres and start posting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT