ADVERTISEMENT

Riverheads Chilhowie

I started to make the trip since its on a sunday..but had flat this a.m..boy oh boy..dodged one from the looks of it

Listened to the radio coverage, he got blitzed and sacked multiple times and was also unable to run the ball. Pretty sure hw had his best game last week. IMO i don't think the second best team in 1A in the state was at Salem today. Just my opinion.

I think everyone with eyes could tell you that the three best teams in 1A came from out East.

1). Essex
2). RH

A lot of distance between these two and #3.

3). Sussex

I realize the cost/travel, but it's a travesty to see these "Championship" games so lopsided.

Reactions: the___kid07
Listened to the radio coverage, he got blitzed and sacked multiple times and was also unable to run the ball. Pretty sure hw had his best game last week. IMO i don't think the second best team in 1A in the state was at Salem today. Just my opinion.
agree

As many said before the season, leave the State final four set up as it was -

East #2 goes to West #1, West #2 goes to East #1

winners go to Salem

Heck, the whole playoff system for 1A should have remained the same (as was said months ago).

Few fans but the die hard Riverheads or Chilhowie fans went to this one I would assume...

(Riverheads was once a Western team...so I do not see it at all as a West v East issue)

Last edited:
Essex fans must feel sick-

1) Essex was the #1 seed yet forced to play an away game v Riverheads

2) Essex was penalized 15 times for a season high 168 yards (killing countless drives or giving Riverheads favorable field position).

Essex did not handle many situations well (nice provoking job by the Red Team (hey, the one who reacts/responds almost always gets the penalty right? lol). Either way, gotta have and play with composure.

3) Essex went 1-8 on third downs.

4) Essex lost two or three turnovers including one pic at end of 1st half, led to a Riverheads TD and their TD lead.

Essex only lost to Riverheads 17-14 (Essex defeated Sussex by 1 point the week before.)

Riverheads got it done. Essex did not. Maybe there will be a rematch....

Galax a complete different team with peoples. As far as east and west criss-crossing is better but I was told vhsl lost a lot of money doing crisscrossing- so money comes first :)

Master- What has RH done to stop QB.? Or did he just play his best game against Galax
RH played fundamentally sound defense a few good Blitz packages to get pressure and disrupt timing. Sacks helped a lot to but it was a little of both D and he played bis best against Galax.

Galax a complete different team with peoples. As far as east and west criss-crossing is better but I was told vhsl lost a lot of money doing crisscrossing- so money comes first :)
Peoples may have made a difference last week against Chilhowie but don’t think he would made a difference today against Riverheads score may have been closer but outcome would have been the same chilhowie never in the game today

If the true state title game was Essex vs Riverheads, then Essex didn't get the job done and lost. It's easy to compare apples and oranges and I agree, Essex is better than Chilhowie, but Chilhowie played the hand they were dealt and they beat Galax who is a tough out and in fact, did play for a state title and that's a great accomplishment. I still don't buy into the Sussex argument. I watched them this year and I just don't think they are much better or really better at all than Chilhowie after seeing them today. There's separation with Essex as the 2nd best team, but I'm not sold on Sussex. I think Sussex, Galax, and Chilhowie are all very close. Great win for Riverheads and congrats on another fine season, and congrats to the Warriors on one heck of an accomplishment getting to a title game.

Reactions: Optimal62
Peoples may have made a difference last week against Chilhowie but don’t think he would made a difference today against Riverheads score may have been closer but outcome would have been the same chilhowie never in the game today
Peoples and Coach Dickson. Could have been a good one. but we will never know.

Reactions: MT2023
I think everyone with eyes could tell you that the three best teams in 1A came from out East.

1). Essex
2). RH

A lot of distance between these two and #3.

3). Sussex

I realize the cost/travel, but it's a travesty to see these "Championship" games so lopsided.
Sussex best Essex once this year and lost to them by 1 point in the regional championship game. Sussex was a two point conversion away from winning.

How do you figure there was “a lot of distance” between 2 and 3?

Glad to hear the refs didn’t let a bunch of unsportsmanlike conduct ruin the the game!!! Sounds to me like the refs DID let the kids dictate the outcome of the game so to speak... act like a fool and u get a prize. Just so happens the prize is a bright yellow flag. Gotta blame somebody so it might As well be the refs.
I blame riverheads...they got under Essex players skin by being a well oil machine. Give em a little credit for what caused Essex to loose their heads. Don’t blame the refs for throwing Flags when a penealty was committed.
No guessing about it, it was the state game & unfortunately the refs didn't let the kids dictate the outcome of the game

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT