ADVERTISEMENT

Riverheads@ Draft

Can even Galax play with Riverheads?

And sounds like Draft is good, just not state title good.

No way Draft is no 1 team in 2A. They will be lucky to make it out of the region. Not trying to degrade them just stating fact.

I haven't seen Draft, but suspect their district might be down a touch this year at the 2A level. Glenvar is considered the fourth best team in Region C, and Glenvar trailed on the road at Riverheads 24-21 in the 4th qtr before losing 38-21 at Riverheads. For Riverheads to win this big on the road at Draft does raise questions. I saw Buckingham early on and they looked fantastic and I had them winning this region and I think they are the hands down favorite for sure at this point. But anything can happen and SD has to be a good football team to be 9-1.

I think the largest Gap in margin of victory for the region chamoionships will come in Region B from Buckingham. That's just my guess.

IMO there are several teams that can play with and beat the Gladiators. Galax isn’t alone in that category

No need to be modest. I'm not as well informed on the teams out East, but looks like only team out here that can even compete is Galax. Patrick Henry (GS) and Narrows are both undefeated and both good teams but I can't see them slowing down Riverheads. No slight to them but a compliment to Riverheads. I believe Chilhowie was better last year than PH and Narrows this year and we saw how that went, even if the score was a little deceiving.

Can even Galax play with Riverheads?

And sounds like Draft is good, just not state title good.

Yes, Galax can I think. Galax is a better football team than Glenvar and they won on the road at Glenvar, and Glenvar lost by 17 at Riverheads, but trailed only 24-21 early in the fourth qtr. Right now, CalPreps has Riverheads winning by 10 points over Galax and 10 pts isn't a lot in High School football. Riverheads would be the favorite for sure, but Galax may very well play with them if both get that far. Both will be favored to get that far.

No need to be modest. I'm not as well informed on the teams out East, but looks like only team out here that can even compete is Galax. Patrick Henry (GS) and Narrows are both undefeated and both good teams but I can't see them slowing down Riverheads. No slight to them but a compliment to Riverheads. I believe Chilhowie was better last year than PH and Narrows this year and we saw how that went, even if the score was a little deceiving.
IMO this years team is better than last years team. It was suppose to be kind of a down year with 10 starters on defense lost to graduation but to my surprise they have come together nicely and I think will be a tough out for anyone. Havent seen any teams from C/D so dont know how they would stack up.

I believe the district is down this year also but that being said this is one of the better Riverheads teams we have had and we have had some good ones

I really think that the teams you mentioned along with Essex are still in play. That is a team nobody wants to play in the playoffs

I do think the Gladiators should take care of their business in the Region but Sussex or WC could surprise and do more than some expect. Galax is a beast in their own rights but I still think Narrows can compete with them. Let’s be clear that PH has not been healthy but the first 4 games of the season so if their senior back can get it rolling they are a force as well. This years Chilhowie team is good but may be a step behind PH and possibly even JIB.

Reactions: Optimal62
Yes, Galax can I think. Galax is a better football team than Glenvar and they won on the road at Glenvar, and Glenvar lost by 17 at Riverheads, but trailed only 24-21 early in the fourth qtr. Right now, CalPreps has Riverheads winning by 10 points over Galax and 10 pts isn't a lot in High School football. Riverheads would be the favorite for sure, but Galax may very well play with them if both get that far. Both will be favored to get that far.

I think Galax would be competitive with Riverheads for sure. I was kinda being tongue in cheek, but it does seem like Riverheads is an absolute machine this year. I would like to see them in the 2A playoffs to see how they would fare.

Galax and their destruction of GW really blew me away too tho, so it's no guarantee Riverheads wins. GW is super talented and Galax had their way with him.

But back to 2A lol. Can anyone aside from Buckingham and TJ win the East? Seems like those two are the hands down favorites to meet for a trip to the title game.

I haven't seen Draft, but suspect their district might be down a touch this year at the 2A level. Glenvar is considered the fourth best team in Region C, and Glenvar trailed on the road at Riverheads 24-21 in the 4th qtr before losing 38-21 at Riverheads. For Riverheads to win this big on the road at Draft does raise questions. I saw Buckingham early on and they looked fantastic and I had them winning this region and I think they are the hands down favorite for sure at this point. But anything can happen and SD has to be a good football team to be 9-1.

I think the largest Gap in margin of victory for the region chamoionships will come in Region B from Buckingham. That's just my guess.
We have to get healthy fast.

Everyone seems to be writing off a 9-1 team. They may not win it, but they should still be in the conversation. Riverheads was better, plain and simple, but fortunately for the 2a teams they don't have to play them. Stuarts Draft has home field as long as they are playing

But back to 2A lol. Can anyone aside from Buckingham and TJ win the East? Seems like those two are the hands down favorites to meet for a trip to the title game.

In 2A, Draft can win the East, but I think BC is the favorite. Before tonight, CalPreps has Draft favored by 14 points in a head to head contest and it had TJ as a 7 point favorite of BC. I still think Buckingham comes out ahead and plays for the state title. Two teams to keep an eye. One especially is Poquoson. They may play with TJ in the Region A and Nottoway played Buckingham competitively tonight and they are also in Region A. With TJ and Draft losing the way they did, CalPreps projection will change. Before tonight, TJ was only favored by 9 points over Poqouson. It seems folks have kind of penciled them in as the Region A champs, but I'm not sure they are.

Can't count Draft out. CalPreps is over 90 percent accurate and before tonight, it had Draft favored over TJ and Buckingham.

I would have to agree with Gunz41 here. That is not a bad football team. Home field will matter and not traveling a couple of hours on thanksgiving weekend and or the first week of December will pay dividends. Buckingham is a very good team ad well all you need to see is the Goochland game to understand that. Lots of football to be played

I'm just of the mind that one game doesn't change that.

A few examples, Riverheads got beat nearly as bad last year vs ER, they were still champs.
Salem a couple years ago against Blacksburg, they won.

Or if the scores reversed would RH no longer be the favorite?

Most everyone in playoffs now have earned their spot. And nobody should be taken lightly.

Its not like SD AND TJ lost to middle of pack teams, they lost to undefeated teams

Reactions: Bama1985
I'm just of the mind that one game doesn't change that.

A few examples, Riverheads got beat nearly as bad last year vs ER, they were still champs.
Salem a couple years ago against Blacksburg, they won.

Or if the scores reversed would RH no longer be the favorite?

Most everyone in playoffs now have earned their spot. And nobody should be taken lightly.

Its not like SD AND TJ lost to middle of pack teams, they lost to undefeated teams

One game can change opinions on whether a team in the favorite or not, especially considering the score. A blowout and a loss aren't the same and Riverheads plays in 1A and wasn't facing a team the caliber of East Rock for the entire season. SD will face teams as good as Riverheads at the 2A level if they make it far enough. If Riverheads would have lost by the same score tonight, I think many would have the opinion that.them and Galax would be a toss up game. If SD would have won tonight by the same score, they would be favored to play for the state title.

Salem didn't have it's starting QB in that regular season game. He was healthy in the playoffs.

Reactions: BigWinners
One game can change opinions on whether a team in the favorite or not, especially considering the score. A blowout and a loss aren't the same and Riverheads plays in 1A and wasn't facing a team the caliber of East Rock for the entire season. SD will face teams as good as Riverheads at the 2A level if they make it far enough. If Riverheads would have lost by the same score tonight, I think many would have the opinion that.them and Galax would be a toss up game. If SD would have won tonight by the same score, they would be favored to play for the state title.

Salem didn't have it's starting QB in that regular season game. He was healthy in the playoffs.

To me, had SD won like that tonight they shouldn't be considered an overwhelming favorite. There are a whole bunch of good teams.

And just to be clear, I understand having the opinion changed on being a favorite, I just disagree that the loss means they shouldn't even be mentioned in the discussion. And there is always the positive spin on it, maybe they got this subpar performance behind them and keep clawing

Aside from winning B, they have higher rating than the other 1 seed.

Injuries are a big concern for me right now. Lost a key player last night possibly for the season. Had 4 starters replaced last night. The replacements played well but we went from what looked to be a 1st qtr blowout to a dog fight after the injuries.

Riverheads and Glenvar was second game of season they had two long pass they scored on but other than that not much offense i

I don't think them losing to Riverheads should take them out of the playoff conversation in 2A. Let's be honest Riverheads is a well oiled machine who has a student body count towards the top of the 1A ranks. That greatly contributes to the amount of players they can field. Then take into account that offense is extremely hard to prepare for in a week's time, with a coaching staff that has been around forever. Riverheads would be highly favored against and beat most 2a teams.

I don't think them losing to Riverheads should take them out of the playoff conversation in 2A. Let's be honest Riverheads is a well oiled machine who has a student body count towards the top of the 1A ranks. That greatly contributes to the amount of players they can field. Then take into account that offense is extremely hard to prepare for in a week's time, with a coaching staff that has been around forever. Riverheads would be highly favored against and beat most 2a teams.

But I don't believe they would win a state title. I know it was last season, but when they played a very talented 2A East Rock team, it was 28-0. There are classifications for a reason. Maybe the numbers get fudged a bit and Riverheads could be playing in 2A, they would instantly become a factor in 2A, but they wouldn't roll like they have been rolling. They would be playing schools with bigger enrollments in practically every game, teams that have more depth, more talent across the board, etc.. But in 1A, it's them and Galax and everyone else whereas in 2A, there are 10-12 teams that believe they have a realistic shot at a state title.

Reactions: Optimal62
I wouldn't pick any 2A team over Riverheads this year. I think Riverheads would be 50/50 toss up games with Graham, Appomattox County and Buckingham County. I think they beat teams in 2A like Draft, TJ Nottoway, Poquoson, Gretna, Radford, Union and Ridge view easily. Riverheads is good enough this year to win a state title at the 2A level. Not saying they would. Graham with the wide open offense and speed and first down passing would be a worse matchuo for them compared to Appomattox and Buckingham who are much more run oriented than Graham.

I wouldn't pick any 2A team over Riverheads this year. I think Riverheads would be 50/50 toss up games with Graham, Appomattox County and Buckingham County. I think they beat teams in 2A like Draft, TJ Nottoway, Poquoson, Gretna, Radford, Union and Ridge view easily. Riverheads is good enough this year to win a state title at the 2A level. Not saying they would. Graham with the wide open offense and speed and first down passing would be a worse matchuo for them compared to Appomattox and Buckingham who are much more run oriented than Graham.
Agree 100 %

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT