ADVERTISEMENT

Riverheads Football Again Looking for Head Coach

One of these reasons people are using to try and prove it wasn't all like what was said makes zero sense to me. Saying Casto was still in the building. Exactly what does that prove? It is still the SAME SCHOOL YEAR. What did you guys think that when he announced his retirement that he would leave mid school year?

If you are trying to say about the future, then that would make a little sense, but to insinuate that it was something going on because he was still there... not a bit
The incoming coach knew he was still in the building and knew he was going to continue to teach so I think your right him still being in the building had no bearing on his decision. He seemed like an honorable man so I think we should take him at his word.

I am mildly surprised that no one from Warhill has chimed in here to offer any perspective on this issue. After all, those folks already know Coach Wheeler and would have a handle on what is or is not going on in his life. I know that we are all trying to walk the fine line here between fact and hearsay, but if the situation that we have been told about really exists and really IS the reason for his resignation, then surely the facts would be known there.

The incoming coach knew he was still in the building and knew he was going to continue to teach so I think your right him still being in the building had no bearing on his decision. He seemed like an honorable man so I think we should take him at his word.

I'm going a step further than that. Not just already knowing he would be there, but the ones bringing it up are saying he is still in the building. The current school year isn't over, so how could that be an issue at the moment?

And just so nobody can mistake what I am arguing here overall, I am NOT saying that something shady couldn't have occurred. I don't know that either way. What I am saying is that someone who sounds like is dealing with a big family issue isn't going to use that as an excuse. People would use a lot of things as an excuse, but I can't see that being 1. And that is the ONLY thing I have any issue with from people saying the man is using that, saying the timing is off from that, etc

My references to Casto in the building are simpler than this school year vs. next year. Sure, my original intent was about Casto’s presence being unhealthy for a new coach NEXT school year, but turns out it was just as unhealthy THIS school year if my suspicions are true. As someone who has spent their entire career in HS education, I definitely understand when teachers are in the building. Seems like a weird nit to pick. Don’t think anyone is alleging Casto himsef ran off Wheeler, just that his presence and willingness to listen to Asst. Coach gripes isn’t healthy for the new coach.

Have never heard of someone resigning and airing the actual dirty laundry reasons. Usually it revolves around family (aka something people won’t question). Not to be insensitive to a child’s very real health issue, but was the health issue newly-discovered?

My references to Casto in the building are simpler than this school year vs. next year. Sure, my original intent was about Casto’s presence being unhealthy for a new coach NEXT school year, but turns out it was just as unhealthy THIS school year if my suspicions are true. As someone who has spent their entire career in HS education, I definitely understand when teachers are in the building. Seems like a weird nit to pick. Don’t think anyone is alleging Casto himsef ran off Wheeler, just that his presence and willingness to listen to Asst. Coach gripes isn’t healthy for the new coach.

Have never heard of someone resigning and airing the actual dirty laundry reasons. Usually it revolves around family (aka something people won’t question). Not to be insensitive to a child’s very real health issue, but was the health issue newly-discovered?

A Riverheads person would probably be able to answer that better, and I certainly wouldn't put anything close to the exact health thing if I did know, but from what I have heard, yes it is something new.

But you seem to be missing my point regardless. Its not the fact of airing out the dirty laundry like you said, it's not just saying family reasons, its saying something within the family. So before you question that part, just ask yourself, if I were in that situation, would I be as vague as possible, or give some kind of details? Because if it is like being insinuated, he is kind of being "forced out." So would you makes things sound bad for your family, have people questioning you about your family, etc to cover up for something going against you?

Again, if questions about his motives weren't about the family situation and something being off with it weren't said, I would have not said a thing. Doesn't matter to me if they lose every game. I may have even been questioning it myself, but I think questioning that part is insulting to him and his family.

Maybe there were A LOT of things that went into it? But I can't believe a decent man would say something like this about his family to ease the blow for someone who would have done him wrong.

As far as the in the building thing, I guess that is just a matter of perspective. My view is that I don't know how they connect being in the same year, but I can see your point of view on it too

Let me explain it like this -

Casto in the building and the same long time, set in their ways coaching staff - plus parents and fans used to the same system (very successful), plus the new man loses the only two allies who hired him...

Think of a President (Trump, Bush, Carter etc.) taking office in the White House and the outgoing popular President (Obama, Clinton, Reagan ) remains in the West Wing of the White House and the former President's mostly entire staff also is there advising the new guy.

I don't think so. Not good for the new Head man who is an outsider.

I remember when Coach Jefferson of Sussex Central assumed the Helm from the Legendary Dwight Reagan , Reagan completely removed himself from the school system by retiring, this allowed the new coach to blossom without the added pressure and it sent home the message that it was Jefferson program now.

If Casto returns it will be good for Riverheads for the short term but toxic for the future in regard to the countless questions year after year if he will coach, it's clear his heart isn't in it. I'm still puzzled why no one on staff was promoted ?

Reactions: Arnsparger
Let me explain it like this -

Casto in the building and the same long time, set in their ways coaching staff - plus parents and fans used to the same system (very successful), plus the new man loses the only two allies who hired him...

Think of a President (Trump, Bush, Carter etc.) taking office in the White House and the outgoing popular President (Obama, Clinton, Reagan ) remains in the West Wing of the White House and the former President's mostly entire staff also is there advising the new guy.

I don't think so. Not good for the new Head man who is an outsider.

That makes sense, maybe it was just the way it was written before, or even I read it wrong.

I remember when Coach Jefferson of Sussex Central assumed the Helm from the Legendary Dwight Reagan , Reagan completely removed himself from the school system by retiring, this allowed the new coach to blossom without the added pressure and it sent home the message that it was Jefferson program now.

If Casto returns it will be good for Riverheads for the short term but toxic for the future in regard to the countless questions year after year if he will coach, it's clear his heart isn't in it. I'm still puzzled why no one on staff was promoted ?
I wouldnt say his heart wasnt in it. He had some health issues that have been rectified now. None of the assistants wanted the position is why none were promoted. Anybody that takes the job has no where to go but down. No way I would want that job after 3 straight state championships by the previous coach.

Take this for what it's worth but on the Riverheads High School website under athletics and then football, Robert Casto is again listed as Head Coach where Thad Wheelers name was still there yesterday. The same assistants are listed also.
Its pretty much a done deal. Casto and the assistants are coming back. No public announcement yet. Matt Stevens will be the new principal also.

Its seems the assistant coaches can't carry their weight , that would of been a nice challenge to carry on the legacy. I guess people look for easy ways out, riding on coat tails of others just saying in general.

Its seems the assistant coaches can't carry their weight , that would of been a nice challenge to carry on the legacy. I guess people look for easy ways out, riding on coat tails of others just saying in general.
The assistants have other full time jobs not related to the school. One is a farmer the defensive coordinator who got offered the head coaching job works at a local factory thats working 7 days a week. There is no way they could take on the duties of the head coach and still do their other jobs.

The assistants have other full time jobs not related to the school. One is a farmer the defensive coordinator who got offered the head coaching job works at a local factory thats working 7 days a week. There is no way they could take on the duties of the head coach and still do their other jobs.
Understood !

Reactions: uvacavs1

Coat tails?..... I mean come on man. You have no idea what you are talking about, yet here you are implying knowledge. This right here is a perfect example of why message boards, twitter, and any other social media venue can be destructive. People speak like experts, put it in writing, then that becomes something that can viewed as fact.

Both of these assistants have been a part of Riverheads far longer than Coach Casto. As a complete unit, as a team, their efforts have helped lead the players to rise to the top multiple times. I for one, believed that their continued effort could help the next head coach keep the machine rolling. With their resignations, it showed that they didn’t believe their efforts would be cohesive with the new coach, and fair enough, in my view. The dynamic of a team, including a coaching staff, is important and if it isn’t going to work well, get out of the way so it can. Them stepping out of the way, and relinquishing their role was more of a sacrifice for the benefit of the players and the program than anything else. And, for what ever reason or motivation, they come back to the program, they will again be doing what they think is best for the young men currently in the program.

No Coat Tails are being rode on at Riverheads. Everyone does their part for the whole. If you don’t, you get bumped off the train naturally. This seems obvious for the players, but it is just the same on the coaching staff. That is why this group was so successful for so long, they had a lot of guys that wanted to do their part and were able to keep it in place for the long term.

Yes, speculation has this coming back together, but we don’t know anything for sure. I am sure everyone from all over the state will have their opinions and act like they know something others don’t, but my bet is that it will all be fine and this team will once again have great expectations come August.

The man (Wheeler) tried to ask for input and the assistants were unwilling to give any. Then they all up and quit? Now all of the sudden, they are all rehired? They shouldn't have quit in the first place. My guess is that now that they have a new principal that the coach can tell what to do, he decides on a coup and gets everything back that he wants. The world we live in....

The man (Wheeler) tried to ask for input and the assistants were unwilling to give any. Then they all up and quit? Now all of the sudden, they are all rehired? They shouldn't have quit in the first place. My guess is that now that they have a new principal that the coach can tell what to do, he decides on a coup and gets everything back that he wants. The world we live in....
It wasnt that they were unwilling to give input its not they werent on the same page its they werent in the same book.

I suppose this will be the topic this year but I am pretty sure if you read through all the posts and especially the people closer to the program, you get the a pretty close view of the real picture.

In my opinion, Coach Wheeler had a legitimate cause for stepping aside in light of the personal information that was shared. Also my opinion but the assistants had a legitimate reason to bail if they were not in alignment with the new head coach. The timing of everything is suspect and maybe the latter did affect the former but I don't see why it can be both simultaneously. Turnover in the administration was rumored in the fall so that holds little water with me as well.

I have stated it before but if you were to work somewhere and a new person were to be brought in over you and you didn't like the direction they had laid out in front of you, there are two choices. You look for another job or you follow along. As an adult you get to do that. Its not just about blindly following the next guy up. If you have fundamental differences then you move on and wish them luck.

As for Casto coming back, I would say if any of you had every met the man you would know that he has a heart for teaching and growing young people. No way was he going to let the program wander aimlessly.

I suppose it will be interesting to see if this turmoil has any affect on the team as they defend their state title. Got to say I hope its another Saturday in December at Salem Stadium watching the Red team do what they do.

Goodness, I don't know how it is possible, but it seems like people outside the area know more about the situation than ones close to the situation. I'm not talking about ones in Augusta County, ones from other parts of the state, or maybe even other states.

That is why I wish "someone", and it could be any one of SEVERAL someones, would release something official on this, either on here or in the media. That would go a long way toward clearing up the situation. Granted there were multiple subplots, but the real crux of the matter is that on the day it was announced that Coach Wheeler was no longer coming, a family-related reason was given and that reason circulated through the community grapevine. None of us, myself included, have felt comfortable stating what that reason was on here, but even one of the local papers mentioned it that very same day, which you would have thought should be sufficient. But instead there have been all these posts from all over trying to make soooo much more of it than it really was.

I for one think he made his decision to put his family first, it had nothing to do with any of the assistant coaches, and that we have heard nothing further (officially at least) for the simple reason that there are administrative things that have to be done, discussions to be had, etc. and that Coach Casto cannot simply say "Oh, OK in that case, sure I will come back." So hopefully when a few more hurdles have been cleared, something will be OFFICIALLY announced and finally everyone will be on the same general page. If there are still doubters and haters after that happens, that will be their choice to act that way.

Reactions: Gunz41
The new principal at Riverheads was probably one of the best AD around then he became Assistant Principal and was one the best at that now the Principal he will be the best at that and I don’t think anyone will tell him what to do and I have the utmost respect for him and the job he has done at Riverheads!!!!

That is why I wish "someone", and it could be any one of SEVERAL someones, would release something official on this, either on here or in the media. That would go a long way toward clearing up the situation. Granted there were multiple subplots, but the real crux of the matter is that on the day it was announced that Coach Wheeler was no longer coming, a family-related reason was given and that reason circulated through the community grapevine. None of us, myself included, have felt comfortable stating what that reason was on here, but even one of the local papers mentioned it that very same day, which you would have thought should be sufficient. But instead there have been all these posts from all over trying to make soooo much more of it than it really was.

I for one think he made his decision to put his family first, it had nothing to do with any of the assistant coaches, and that we have heard nothing further (officially at least) for the simple reason that there are administrative things that have to be done, discussions to be had, etc. and that Coach Casto cannot simply say "Oh, OK in that case, sure I will come back." So hopefully when a few more hurdles have been cleared, something will be OFFICIALLY announced and finally everyone will be on the same general page. If there are still doubters and haters after that happens, that will be their choice to act that way.

I honestly don't think whenever it does come out that it will satisfy them. I probably dislike yall more than them, for a good reason (not just because they win), but I think its more about it just being Riverheads. This would not have been a real discussion had it been someone else. Thus it doesn't matter what is said.

It seems to make more sense to some that everyone is hiding something than to go on what has been reported. And then we get to talk about negative things about all the assistants.

I would love to hear, since I still haven't, what ANYONE who doesn't buy the story thinks Mr. Wheeler gains from the talk about his family. Or how about what Casto would gain from retiring JUST to return. You think the other coaches, players, community, etc wanted him to leave in the 1st place? You don't think he already had a great reputation?

What would he gain from publicly bashing the coaching staff who bailed on him without giving him a heads up but have been there for a while? I can see it now, Question - Coach, why did you decide to give up coaching at Riverheads? Well, I had several meetings with the coaches and wanted to adjust some things defensively. Some of the coaches said we shouldn't change anything and keep everything exactly the same. We still continued to meet and even communicate throughout the week about the next time I'll be up at Riverheads and then I find out the next day that my staff quit without talking to me first.

Yeah, that's what he should have done.

I won't post on this anymore. I wish everyone on both sides of the debate well, we have our opinions and won't change anyone's mind. Good luck Riverheads, here's to hoping the new regime can keep you guys under 475.

Reactions: Senex
Take this for what it's worth but on the Riverheads High School website under athletics and then football, Robert Casto is again listed as Head Coach where Thad Wheelers name was still there yesterday. The same assistants are listed also.
Just to add more drama the website changed again today and now says Head Coach TBD They removed Robert Casto. Does anyone really now what’s happening?

Coat tails?..... I mean come on man. You have no idea what you are talking about, yet here you are implying knowledge. This right here is a perfect example of why message boards, twitter, and any other social media venue can be destructive. People speak like experts, put it in writing, then that becomes something that can viewed as fact.

Both of these assistants have been a part of Riverheads far longer than Coach Casto. As a complete unit, as a team, their efforts have helped lead the players to rise to the top multiple times. I for one, believed that their continued effort could help the next head coach keep the machine rolling. With their resignations, it showed that they didn’t believe their efforts would be cohesive with the new coach, and fair enough, in my view. The dynamic of a team, including a coaching staff, is important and if it isn’t going to work well, get out of the way so it can. Them stepping out of the way, and relinquishing their role was more of a sacrifice for the benefit of the players and the program than anything else. And, for what ever reason or motivation, they come back to the program, they will again be doing what they think is best for the young men currently in the program.

No Coat Tails are being rode on at Riverheads. Everyone does their part for the whole. If you don’t, you get bumped off the train naturally. This seems obvious for the players, but it is just the same on the coaching staff. That is why this group was so successful for so long, they had a lot of guys that wanted to do their part and were able to keep it in place for the long term.

Yes, speculation has this coming back together, but we don’t know anything for sure. I am sure everyone from all over the state will have their opinions and act like they know something others don’t, but my bet is that it will all be fine and this team will once again have great expectations come August.
Done Yet ? What you have is a dumpster fire.
No matter how you flip it , the situation is messy no I'm not a expert but dam man it's clear that things stink in Greenville. Just own it man.

Reactions: WP02alum
Fully agree with you

What would he gain from publicly bashing the coaching staff who bailed on him without giving him a heads up but have been there for a while? I can see it now, Question - Coach, why did you decide to give up coaching at Riverheads? Well, I had several meetings with the coaches and wanted to adjust some things defensively. Some of the coaches said we shouldn't change anything and keep everything exactly the same. We still continued to meet and even communicate throughout the week about the next time I'll be up at Riverheads and then I find out the next day that my staff quit without talking to me first.

Yeah, that's what he should have done.

I won't post on this anymore. I wish everyone on both sides of the debate well, we have our opinions and won't change anyone's mind. Good luck Riverheads, here's to hoping the new regime can keep you guys under 475.

Obviously that makes sense, he wouldn't gain anything from that if it's true (and who knows maybe it is).

But that doesn't answer my question. What does he gain from giving even a vague description of family issue? In fact, I would argue giving that could be a negative. Having the constant questions, people now will be wondering exactly how bad it is, etc.

Again, I have ZERO issue with questions about what happened. The truth is probably between the 2 contrasts of yalls argument. But I take issue with people wanting to question someone about their family and/or personal life.

The way I see it is this: maybe there was issues within the coaching staff and what was going to go on. Maybe it was a bunch of different events that added up to all of this. ALL OF THIS IS EXTREMELY POSSIBLE. But when its announced that he was having family issues, which sound pretty serious, to judge him on that and to say ANYTHING about that isnt right in my opinion. There are just some things that should be off limits.

Never met the man in my life, but when you are questioning the validity of that, you are actually questioning his integrity at the very least. And he doesn't deserve that. In the very least, everyone should feel bad for him and his family for what they are going through with that situation. I also feel bad for him and how everything has turned upside down in his professional career in the last 2 weeks.

In my opinion, I just think that everyone should remove their personal animus against Riverheads and think about how they would feel if it was their family. In conclusion, I have zero issue with questions about the football/coaching/professional part of it. But don't question the validity of the personal issues.

If you think questioning the “reason given” (is there a Wheeler quote anywhere?) is questioning Wheeler’s integrity, that’s pretty crazy. People give “reasons” that are only part of the story when leaving jobs like this all the time.

I’m only questioning how those assistants who “resigned” seem to be babies with their inability to adapt to a new leader.

If you think questioning the “reason given” (is there a Wheeler quote anywhere?) is questioning Wheeler’s integrity, that’s pretty crazy. People give “reasons” that are only part of the story when leaving jobs like this all the time.

I’m only questioning how those assistants who “resigned” seem to be babies with their inability to adapt to a new leader.

How can questioning his family issue not be questioning his integrity. Because if you question ANY part of that, then that is saying he would rather protect the real reason or make the family issue seem worse than it is.

I don't know if there is some direct quote about it. But exactly how do you think some vague details about it are out there?

And the exact reason why I think you are making it look bad and because of some disdain for that school is evident in that message. You seem to be picking and choosing what part of the story you want to believe. Calling the coaches babies (also kind of fitting since in this story is talk about his personal life about a baby) is juvenile.

So please enlighten us. You seem to know exactly what happened in the last 2 weeks. You know what happened from another county, you know more than those Riverheads fans, parents, players, etc. You were privy to the conversations. You know so much about it you even know which parts of the story are true and what arent.

Give me a break. This story would have had a single digit number of posts if it weren't about Riverheads. And I can all but guarantee that in any other situation/school that people wouldn't be questioning the story.

Again, every part of the story can be true. I just think it is wrong to be questioning ANYONE about family issues. Especially that what is being said is about a child, and even worse than it sounds like it could be a VERY sad story.

But no, let's not believe that because the timing is off. And because its Riverheads and football is soooooo important that it causes someone who is an outsider to cover things up, make his family out to be worse than it is.

For the millionth time, just because YOU want to make it about me doubting Wheeler’s integrity doesn’t make it so. Just because YOU don’t want people speaking plainly about what seems obvious doesn’t make it law.

I’m not interested in making this about Wheeler. It’s very obviously about Red Team assistants throwing a tantrum to get what they want.

For the millionth time, just because YOU want to make it about me doubting Wheeler’s integrity doesn’t make it so. Just because YOU don’t want people speaking plainly about what seems obvious doesn’t make it law.

I’m not interested in making this about Wheeler. It’s very obviously about Red Team assistants throwing a tantrum to get what they want.

You could be right about the coaches. And maybe it wasn't throwing a tantrum. Maybe it was just a difference in view, which is quite different.

But you talking about that shows your disdain for the program. Because I doubt if you know ANY of their coaches, so to label them as babies and throwing tantrums without knowing the facts and how it went is CLEARLY having a bias.

You can just keep on thinking you are right, and that anything you think is 100% fact, and since you believe it that it couldn't possibly be seen in a different light.

I'll tell you what, I am not even saying you were trying to talk about his integrity. I don't even find it that hard to believe that close to what you are saying happened could have happened. It has never been about that for me, its STRICTLY about the family and what is being said about it. But whether it was you who 1st said it, or just agreed, while there may not have been details, when it was reported that he was leaving for family reasons, if you are under the impression that the timeline is off, or however you want to put it, that IS questioning it. Because if you don't think it was about his family, then what do you call that?

Again, if nobody had questioned the part about FAMILY, I wouldn't have said a word. But to me, questioning the timing of his family issues with connection to his resignation hints at not believing the story of the family issue. I just don't understand why ANYONE would question that part of it.

I don't really care who coaches them. I would still want to beat them whether it was a friend of mine or Nick Saban.

I just believe that family is a no go topic for anyone. If it were a combination of things, then do it without saying the timing of his family issues is fishy. I'll use a completely different situation to show what I mean. Since the "timing is off". Say someone gets a CEO job. Some of the higher ups in the company start to disagree with the direction of the company. The new CEO goes to the Dr and finds out about a health problem. He then resigns. Is the timing of that off?

And I will continue to reject your insistence that I’m focusing on Wheeler’s family in any way. You are the one who keeps bringing up his family concerns. You’re literally arguing with yourself. Every post keeps insisting I said something I didn’t. Quote my words that you take issue with. And try to express yourself more concisely. Your paragraphs of circular logic are too long. Stop repeating yourself as if that somehow makes you right.

And I will continue to reject your insistence that I’m focusing on Wheeler’s family in any way. You are the one who keeps bringing up his family concerns. You’re literally arguing with yourself. Every post keeps insisting I said something I didn’t. Quote my words that you take issue with. And try to express yourself more concisely. Your paragraphs of circular logic are too long. Stop repeating yourself as if that somehow makes you right.

Ask and you shall receive.

"Ain’t no way the long-time assistant coaches announced they were bailing and magically at the same time Wheeler resigns due to family health issues. He saw a situation where the assistants weren’t going to be on his team and he’d have Casto right there in the building for staff/students/parents to vent to 24/7.

Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out what happened here. Assistants were put off by his vision (whatever that may be) and he decided to reverse course rather than fight an uphill battle."

"So it’s what I said, plus the admin who hired him are all leaving. It’s very clear why he backed out & it would be extremely naive to believe it’s a family healthissue."

You see, you seem to have missed the part where I said that it may not have been your intention, but it is how it appears. Or are you the type that thinks that what they say is taken exactly as intended by everyone? You are that articulate, intent comes out.

But anyway, ask yourself this question: Would you have been commenting about whatever happened if it were another school, let's use Stonewall Jackson? And even deeper into that, if you were to have commented, would you have called the Stonewall coaches babies and saying they threw a tantrum.

But back to your post, I will guarantee you won't find a post where I said that any other part of the various reports couldn't be true. In fact, quite the contrary. I have consistently had an issue with the family talk. And I am sure you would have an issue with your family was being talked about. I know I would.

I have no issue believing all of what has been reported. But not all of it should be talked about because some things should be kept private.

Gunz, you’ve consistently said that family should be off limits. Well heck, how dare you guys spread this rumor that he left due to a family health issue. HOW DARE YOU!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT