ADVERTISEMENT

Riverheads Football Again Looking for Head Coach

Oct 13, 2014
Surprising news out of Riverheads as newly hired Football Head Coach Thad Wheeler had resigned this morning due to family health issues, per sources close with the program. I am sure we will hear more. Prayers for him and his family.

Prayers for his family. Now the search resumes. Still have to wonder if someone from the inside would be the most viable option. I have an opinion but will refrain for now.

I think you talk to names that have been on the roster previously first, and you start at the top. That, at this point, would be what is best for the players. Just back up and go with the same system for a year to two. Give the coach a finish line and be prepared for it when you get there.

The players have been in the weight room just the same, so if this is the direction this goes, I would leave the Gladiators outlook for 2019 just as it would have been if Casto never announced his resignation. This program is not built on 7 on 7 camps and spring practice.

IF you can get Casto and/or Norcross back, you pick up where you left off.

All that said, I hope the best for Wheeler and his family. If things didn't go this way, I believe there was a route for him to be successful in Greenville.

Wow I did not see this one coming!!! Best wishes to Coach Wheeler. The best solution to this problem would be for Casto to come back one more year, if he is willing, and let them take their time to find his replacement for the year after.

Well on the bright side, this unexpected development allows the newly hired principal to choose his own head coach instead of inheriting the choice of the previous one.

I think the big news for today anyway is the announcement of the new principal and also that the athletic director is leaving. Lots of hiring to do looks like at RHS

Ain’t no way the long-time assistant coaches announced they were bailing and magically at the same time Wheeler resigns due to family health issues. He saw a situation where the assistants weren’t going to be on his team and he’d have Casto right there in the building for staff/students/parents to vent to 24/7.

Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out what happened here. Assistants were put off by his vision (whatever that may be) and he decided to reverse course rather than fight an uphill battle.

Reactions: dringtuoti
Of course rumors are flying all over the place and as is usually the case, the truth probably lies in the middle someplace. But just about everyone up here has heard about a legitimate reason why he resigned and it is not what you are implying. I am sure it will all come out at some point.

Read the Wheeler news on line, so I thought I would check out the boards ! Someone knows something ! What is going to happen ?

Assistant coaches didn't want the job but wanted to stay. My guess is they didn't want to change anything or were uncomfortable with the new coach adjustments. Probably the "You should just do what we've been doing mentality." Casto still in the building. Principal that hires the new coach retires, AD is bouncing. It's probably a combination of a bunch of things.

The real question is whether or not the new principal/leadership will be able to keep Riverheads below that 475 student enrollment. ;) Much nicer being in the top spot in enrollment than the bottom of the next division.

NO way Casto is coming back ! They best get busy and find someone who can run more than 4 plays . Not sure if there is any talent left anyway ? jmo

Of course rumors are flying all over the place and as is usually the case, the truth probably lies in the middle someplace. But just about everyone up here has heard about a legitimate reason why he resigned and it is not what you are implying. I am sure it will all come out at some point.

So it’s what I said, plus the admin who hired him are all leaving. It’s very clear why he backed out & it would be extremely naive to believe it’s a family health issue.

I suppose I can understand your skepticism, since you are looking at the situation from a distance with limited inside information. But most people around here have heard enough details (even if some of it is second and third hand) to sincerely believe the story. I am not sure if the media will ever completely explain it, even though one newspaper has at least touched upon it already, but if the story does turn out to be what we all believe it to be, and is eventually made public, I hope you will be decent enough to admit that you were wrong.

I suppose I can understand your skepticism, since you are looking at the situation from a distance with limited inside information. But most people around here have heard enough details (even if some of it is second and third hand) to sincerely believe the story. I am not sure if the media will ever completely explain it, even though one newspaper has at least touched upon it already, but if the story does turn out to be what we all believe it to be, and is eventually made public, I hope you will be decent enough to admit that you were wrong.

And to apologize to the coach and his family. It wasn't even reported with the ole "spending more time with family."

Again, just so everyone is clear, I don't care for Riverheads as a rival. But to be pretty far away and talk as if you KNOW, and that everyone knows what is going on is actually insulting.

It's as if he thinks that you guys are trying to hide the "real truth." The man hadn't coached a game, and not one bad word had been uttered about him on here. Yet we are supposed to go with the thinking of someone not even close to the situation that something nefarious went on.

Let's just think this out before making these accusations. The fact is, whether you like them or not, nobody would think or comment on this situation if it wasn't them.

And for the guy who thinks something is going on there, if the reason that is going around from people in the know is true and has a negative outcome, you are going to feel EXTREMELY bad.

And to apologize to the coach and his family. It wasn't even reported with the ole "spending more time with family."

Again, just so everyone is clear, I don't care for Riverheads as a rival. But to be pretty far away and talk as if you KNOW, and that everyone knows what is going on is actually insulting.

It's as if he thinks that you guys are trying to hide the "real truth." The man hadn't coached a game, and not one bad word had been uttered about him on here. Yet we are supposed to go with the thinking of someone not even close to the situation that something nefarious went on.

Let's just think this out before making these accusations. The fact is, whether you like them or not, nobody would think or comment on this situation if it wasn't them.

And for the guy who thinks something is going on there, if the reason that is going around from people in the know is true and has a negative outcome, you are going to feel EXTREMELY bad.
Heard thru the grapevine his wife is pregnant and the baby will have some medical issues when its born is the reason for his resignation. Hope its not the case but if it is prayers for him and his family for a good outcome.

Thanks for the back-up guys. Not only are you in the ball park of the same thing everyone else is hearing, but the administrative changes that have been discussed would obviously have been in the works BEFORE all of this happened and therefore have no direct connection.

I will certainly eat my words if I’m wrong. When will I get my apology if I’m right?

Awfully suspect timing with the RHS assistants letting it be known they were unhappy & resigning right before it was announced.

True, I don’t know the admin situation. I was going off of what was posted on here about new principal and new AD.

Reactions: dringtuoti
I guess we'll find out if Norcross comes back. If he does then that will tell you something. The principal leaving wasn't known at the time of the hire. D-coordinator too old and stuck in his ways to listen to any new ideas or adjustments, then running to Casto and saying new coach is changing everything is my top choice. I got my $$ on WPAlum.

Reactions: WP02alum
Guys who are questioning this, exactly what incentive does ANYONE, certainly the new coach, have to come up with a story about complications of a child? @dringtuoti @WP02alum

That is the part of your guys argument that makes no sense to me. Sure, I can see fans of that school not wanting to look as if something nefarious went on, but I don't think someone would want that out if it were their child. So to say he is actually saying something like that is actually insulting to that coach and his family

Reactions: bulldog1150
Nobody said he's making up the story but he was willing to come and then decided not to after the other mess. All those things are factors, he didn't find out about the family 2 hours after D-coordinator and others made an announcement to not coach. I've got questions - who'd he tell first that he was quitting, the media or the new coach. From what I've been told, the new coach didn't find out from the d-coordinator. Imo he didn't want the head job, had some meetings with new coach, didnt want any changes, pouted, ran back to others and said everything is changing and decided to quit.

About what I had heard, but I wasn't going to put someone else's personal business on here
I see peoples personal business posted on here all the time
I guess we'll find out if Norcross comes back. If he does then that will tell you something. The principal leaving wasn't known at the time of the hire. D-coordinator too old and stuck in his ways to listen to any new ideas or adjustments, then running to Casto and saying new coach is changing everything is my top choice. I got my $$ on WPAlum.
From what I have been hearing the whole coaching staff is back even Casto. I know several of the assistants that resigned were back at weightlifting Thur evening.

Nobody said he's making up the story but he was willing to come and then decided not to after the other mess. All those things are factors, he didn't find out about the family 2 hours after D-coordinator and others made an announcement to not coach. I've got questions - who'd he tell first that he was quitting, the media or the new coach. From what I've been told, the new coach didn't find out from the d-coordinator. Imo he didn't want the head job, had some meetings with new coach, didnt want any changes, pouted, ran back to others and said everything is changing and decided to quit.

Well that actually goes to show you how in the know you aren't. I'm not, and I heard the rumors about the assistants the prior week. Maybe it wasn't made official, and maybe what I heard isn't true?

Either way, to even suggest something shady was going on (which whether that was the intent or not, it is how it comes off when questioning this with the sad story) isnt right and makes no sense.

If the story that came out was: I want to spend more time with family, or another reason, then sure there could be some questions. But with what is reported, I find it very difficult to believe that someone would use that as a reason to leave a job without it being true.

I have read all these comments and honestly (I have zero inside information besides these comments and do not know anyone involved other than by reputation)....

I completely can see both possibilities. I have posted many times I have nothing but respect for Riverheads' success and Casto's system. I love that the Neck has a worthy opponent year after year - kinda of a shared powerful enemy. My favorite teams defeating cupcakes provides with me no entertainment or interest.

If the new guy has family issues that must be taken care of - then absolutely, God and Family are always 1st or at least they should be. To me, Community comes third and he was not invested there yet.

God Bless and best wishes to him and his people.

Good luck to the Champs in this time of turmoil....

However, as I posted before and others had questions from the beginning of this issue-

Never follow the legend, follow the dude who screwed it up after the legend.

Many people think only talent, the coaching staff's x's and o's on game day and practicing hard are the only ingredients that matter for success - obviously they are a vital part indeed, however; there are many other factors that go on that often impact success most fans and outsiders never know about.

A very successful and supportive Principal and essential AD who hired the new guy Both leave before the new guy even starts??? New leaders come on? The old, beloved staff maybe does not like the new guy or will fight his every new move? The legend Casto is still in the building? A rabid fan base with probably excellent boosters are divided?

Run for the hills.....run for your life.....(old rock song)

First off, prayers for what I have heard is a very real situation for Coach Wheeler. From all indications and interactions I have been privy to he is a solid coach and just as solid an individual.
As for the staff deciding not to follow in the direction of the new coach and tendering their resignation, that happens in "real" jobs too so how is this that different? If Casto were to come back then I am sure that they would consider a return. They had at first indicated that they would stay on for the new guy so its not surprising they would come back if they are in alignment with the head guy. As for the running to Casto because he is in the building junk, he had stated that he intended to stay at the school and teach so whomever comes there will deal with him around the kids and football staff.
If the rumors are true then we will again be the most hated 1A school in Virginia and potentially be playing in late November. However if we are still on the lookout for a new coach then I would hope that someone familiar with the program will step in and take the helm. Either way come late August-early September, I will be supporting the Gladiator football program. Its all about the #RedPrideNation...….

Reactions: Bama1985
First off, prayers for what I have heard is a very real situation for Coach Wheeler. From all indications and interactions I have been privy to he is a solid coach and just as solid an individual.
As for the staff deciding not to follow in the direction of the new coach and tendering their resignation, that happens in "real" jobs too so how is this that different? If Casto were to come back then I am sure that they would consider a return. They had at first indicated that they would stay on for the new guy so its not surprising they would come back if they are in alignment with the head guy. As for the running to Casto because he is in the building junk, he had stated that he intended to stay at the school and teach so whomever comes there will deal with him around the kids and football staff.
If the rumors are true then we will again be the most hated 1A school in Virginia and potentially be playing in late November. However if we are still on the lookout for a new coach then I would hope that someone familiar with the program will step in and take the helm. Either way come late August-early September, I will be supporting the Gladiator football program. Its all about the #RedPrideNation...….
Well looks like were going to be most hated in 1A. I hear suppose to be announced today. Guess we will see.

The following was on a website called footballscoop.com then click on high school scoop and scroll down to date of May 6, 2019. It did list email but I didn't. This was three days before news of resignation hit. Kind of strange.

Riverheads (VA):
Riverheads HS, located in Staunton, VA is looking for varsity football coach. Preferred experience in the Wing-T but not required. At the moment no teaching openings but could change. If interested, contact Head Coach Thad Wheeler at

One of these reasons people are using to try and prove it wasn't all like what was said makes zero sense to me. Saying Casto was still in the building. Exactly what does that prove? It is still the SAME SCHOOL YEAR. What did you guys think that when he announced his retirement that he would leave mid school year?

If you are trying to say about the future, then that would make a little sense, but to insinuate that it was something going on because he was still there... not a bit

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT