ADVERTISEMENT

RIVERHEADS @ WEST POINT

MT FAN 91

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 19, 2013
I know little to nothing about the West Point program, how do they match up with the big red machine?

Congratulations to West Point on taking the region this year. But I think it's been said a few times already, this game is not going to be pretty. A young West Point team will be overwhelmed and overmatched on both sides of the ball.

West Point has good line play especially on offense so they may surprise some people. They will need to move the ball effectively on first and second down and stay ahead of the sticks. If they are in 3rd and long and expect to pass it could be bad. That said, I do think Riverheads will win but not by the margin some think unless West Point has trouble with turnovers. I look for a 42-12 game or something close to that. I believe early it will be tight sledding for both but the Casto-T will start to wear on the Pointers and then break a few long plays. I really hope there is no rain but I think I am wishing on a star for that, lol.

Which plays into WP’s advantage more? Wet conditions or dry? I would think a muddy game gives WP a better shot, but I could be very wrong.

West Point has good line play especially on offense so they may surprise some people. They will need to move the ball effectively on first and second down and stay ahead of the sticks. If they are in 3rd and long and expect to pass it could be bad. That said, I do think Riverheads will win but not by the margin some think unless West Point has trouble with turnovers. I look for a 42-12 game or something close to that. I believe early it will be tight sledding for both but the Casto-T will start to wear on the Pointers and then break a few long plays. I really hope there is no rain but I think I am wishing on a star for that, lol.
42--12 sounds like a halftime score to me .

Reactions: Festivus1
We're just glad to be able to play in the game. If we can get the Governor to ease some restrictions, maybe we can line up and get everybody's autograph before the Riverheads bus leaves.

Reactions: Optimal62
@Reecesdad, if I am not mistaken you have a lineman that plays, correct? Watched parts of three games today and I do like the line play. Pretty straightforward power single wing with little to no pulling action out of the guards but plenty strong enough for a front five. Like I said, it could be more interesting than some of my fellow Gladiator fans think since most haven’t watched any of the games.

We're just glad to be able to play in the game. If we can get the Governor to ease some restrictions, maybe we can line up and get everybody's autograph before the Riverheads bus leaves.

Haha go Pointers!

@Reecesdad, if I am not mistaken you have a lineman that plays, correct? Watched parts of three games today and I do like the line play. Pretty straightforward power single wing with little to no pulling action out of the guards but plenty strong enough for a front five. Like I said, it could be more interesting than some of my fellow Gladiator fans think since most haven’t watched any of the games.
23 looks like a bruiser rb, on there facebook website says they will post about buying tickets from go fan, and that u will have to order tickets, dont look like alot of seats on the visitors side, and what time is the game, i have seen 1 and i have seen 2

I can appreciate your loyalty to your kids and I don't blame you for feeling slighted by this talk, but don't give them any more reason to open a can on the Pointers. You have no idea how deep the water is when you are playing the Red team in the playoffs.

But I suspect it will show pretty quick.

Reactions: offmylawn

My boys a Sophomore #75. My son & I are both fans of 4 yards and a cloud of dust. He may get his ass handed to him, but he has spent a lot of time in the squat rack and he's not going to shy away from anyone from anywhere in high school football.

For those inquiring the game is at 2pm. West Point is in the Eastern Time Zone. If you can't get a ticket, park by the elementary school gymnasium off of Chelsea rd and walk the short distance to the Visitors side. The fence is only 3 ft tall and your only 3 or 4 feet from the bleachers. You can easily watch the game from that spot if you can't get in. El Ranchero is my favorite joint in town for an Enchilada and a Margerita.

I'm sure it will show pretty quick and I hope you're right about the Deepwater Saturday. As a matter of fact the deeper the better.

My boys a Sophomore #75. My son & I are both fans of 4 yards and a cloud of dust. He may get his ass handed to him, but he has spent a lot of time in the squat rack and he's not going to shy away from anyone from anywhere in high school football.

For those inquiring the game is at 2pm. West Point is in the Eastern Time Zone. If you can't get a ticket, park by the elementary school gymnasium off of Chelsea rd and walk the short distance to the Visitors side. The fence is only 3 ft tall and your only 3 or 4 feet from the bleachers. You can easily watch the game from that spot if you can't get in. El Ranchero is my favorite joint in town for an Enchilada and a Margerita.
Just got a phone call from the Superintendent. They don't want anybody standing at the outside fence.

smiley is a beast, over 100 tds in his 4 years, and over 5300 yards rushing, he has many records at rhs, his brother is bigger than him and is the fullback and a jr

And his is in a long line of good backs there. It is a direct reflection of the line, and that is a byproduct of Casto.

I think the Freshman may end up passing all of them. He was the most impressive of the large stable against SD.

Reactions: Andersonj829
smiley is a beast, over 100 tds in his 4 years, and over 5300 yards rushing, he has many records at rhs, his brother is bigger than him and is the fullback and a jr
That’s awesome. My son is at 99 offensively for his career. Hoping to break into 3 digits this weekend.

Reactions: MT FAN 91
And his is in a long line of good backs there. It is a direct reflection of the line, and that is a byproduct of Casto.

I think the Freshman may end up passing all of them. He was the most impressive of the large stable against SD.
he is a beast as well, he has a good shot, and u are right about the line and the byproduct of casto,

Reactions: Andersonj829
he is a beast as well, he has a good shot, and u are right about the line and the byproduct of casto,

There have been quite a few really productive backs (I don't know where historically now) that may not have started at other schools. Not all of them, and not a slight on those young men, but they all haven't been super talented.

so he must be the qb or rb, either way 100 tds in high school is a big deal, u have to thank the o line, so maybe both will meet up next week in greenville, it will be the third time in the big dance vs each other, GO BIG RED

Last edited:
Don’t put the cart before the horse fellas. There are two quality teams that are more than prepared to knock either of the “favorites” off this week. Let’s just take care of the present before rushing into a discussion about a game that may not take place. You only need to look at Union taking care of Central Wise ( Central had beat them in the regular season soundly) to see that games aren’t played on paper. Central was supposed to advance and give Appo a challenge according to some.

I wish that were really the case Red Pride. Unfortunately the only chance West Point has to win this game is if there is a COVID outbreak in Greenville. West Point may not even get a first down until garbage time.

I see where people are coming from but the reality is that teams that are favored get beat at times even when you wouldn’t have thought it possible. I specifically remember the Gladiators losing to a good but not great King William team at home in 2014 28-27 on the only missed extra point of the year. To be clear that wasn’t on the final play or anything so I don’t want to emphasize that too much just reference the slim margin. My point is that coming into that game, there was not a thought that Riverheads would not advance past that round. Games sometimes take on a different look/feel than anyone expects. That’s what gets the blood flowing and adrenaline surging. Good luck to all the teams still competing and letting old farts live vicariously through them.

Reactions: oldfool2
I see where people are coming from but the reality is that teams that are favored get beat at times even when you wouldn’t have thought it possible. I specifically remember the Gladiators losing to a good but not great King William team at home in 2014 28-27 on the only missed extra point of the year. To be clear that wasn’t on the final play or anything so I don’t want to emphasize that too much just reference the slim margin. My point is that coming into that game, there was not a thought that Riverheads would not advance past that round. Games sometimes take on a different look/feel than anyone expects. That’s what gets the blood flowing and adrenaline surging. Good luck to all the teams still competing and letting old farts live vicariously through them.

Not that it's expected to happen obviously, but there have been examples of 50 point swings between teams in a few weeks span.

It's not impossible for any game to turn into a game.

Also I remember in 09 I believe we lost to Altavista at home 20-17 in a game we were heavily favored. We had several fumbles in that game that were costly that we never recovered from. I agree anything can happen, but its a Galax/Riv rematch unless Covid takes one of them out. There is just too much disparity between them and their opponents this year. Not trying to knock either team just stating the obvious

Going back a few more years to agree with Redpridenation's point, the year was 2006. The Big Red had one of the best passing attacks we have ever had. Jacob Hutchinson, who would go on to play and start for Bridgewater College, was the quarterback and he had two great receivers in Travis Brake and Jeremy Heizer, plus of course our usual potent rushing game and a stout defense.

We were 9-0 going into Senior Night and here came Wilson with probably something like a 6-3 record. It was naturally "assumed" that we would finish the regular season 10-0. But the Hornets showed up to play that night and threw a long touchdown pass in the final minutes to win 28-21.

The story had a happy ending as we went on to win four playoff games and capture our second state title. But that one blemish made the overall record 13-1 instead of a much more impressive-sounding 14-0. My guess is that game still stings some of those RHS players and gives some of the Wilson players a fun story to tell.

Going back a few more years to agree with Redpridenation's point, the year was 2006. The Big Red had one of the best passing attacks we have ever had. Jacob Hutchinson, who would go on to play and start for Bridgewater College, was the quarterback and he had two great receivers in Travis Brake and Jeremy Heizer, plus of course our usual potent rushing game and a stout defense.

We were 9-0 going into Senior Night and here came Wilson with probably something like a 6-3 record. It was naturally "assumed" that we would finish the regular season 10-0. But the Hornets showed up to play that night and threw a long touchdown pass in the final minutes to win 28-21.

The story had a happy ending as we went on to win four playoff games and capture our second state title. But that one blemish made the overall record 13-1 instead of a much more impressive-sounding 14-0. My guess is that game still stings some of those RHS players and gives some of the Wilson players a fun story to tell.
You indeed may be right but I thought it was a long TD run right up the middle by one of the Fisher boys, either Alex or Matt I think their names were.

Speaking of that, of all of the Championships, isn't it only 2 that have been undefeated?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT