ADVERTISEMENT

Sad world we’re living in: TeeJay @ Huguenot game closed to public

This has really become a sound discussion. Thanks @WP02alum, @gwb16, @DinwiddieProud, and @BoKnowsSports. Each of you have provided different views and food for thought. My daughter, her friends and boyfriends said the same about me @gwb16. I use to tell her I work with knuckleheads all day and I refuse to come home to one. I rarely if ever used corporal punishment, threats, or yelled. It usually just took a quick glance or leer.

True story: Because of my job, we always kept things on the down low, but a kid in my daughters school asked if I was her dad. She hesitated knowing the fragility of answering and the kid blurted out "if he is he's an a$$hole"! According to my daughter she could not resist and replied "I agree. Usually when he behaves like that I have done something really stupid or have said something disrespectful". She told me the boy looked at her puzzled. She finished by asking him a question. So what are you a dumba$$ or a smarta$$? The only time in my life I have ever heard my daughter curse or use any form of wit. I asked her what the boy did and she said nothing, just shook his head and walked away.

DP... that same Principal told me that the parents would blame her and the school for their inability to control their child.
It's a different world, my parents told teachers they had permission to tear my rear end up if I stepped out of line....that action will get a teacher put in jail and free exposure on every major news network.
I can remember my oldest son telling me that someone of his friends were afraid of me...the problem was....there wasn't going to be anything BS going on at my house. My security clearance and job and sense of moral turpitude and the responsibility of having someone else's child under my supervision caused me to play bad cop. Tow the line or hit the bricks...and they only one or 2 chances.
My father worked for the school system. Every year within a few days of a new elementary school year he would “pop” into the class and tell the teacher she had permission to wear my butt out as long as she sent a note home to him so that he could wear me out himself. Needless to say, the teachers never had a problem with me. To tell the truth, my generation were like any other group of kids, we disobeyed to an extent, but we were NEVER disrespectful. My God, if my dad ever heard that I was even remotely disrespectful to ANY adult, my ass would still be too sore to sit on. But, it was never a problem because politeness and respect was so ingrained in me that it was impossible for me to be rude.

Just as a side note, Petersburg was segregated until I reached high school in 1968. My father was Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds, and probably more than 50% of the people that worked for him were Black. My dad treated each and every employee exactly the same. He addressed everyone as Mr or Mrs, always yes sir or no sir, no exceptions. This is the example he not only set for his other supervisors, but for me and my siblings.

I guess this is why I struggle with disrespect by anyone.

NEW HENRICO GUIDELINES IN EFFECT AS OF TOMORROW NIGHT
375751803_10224916095471439_3681287900871803132_n.jpg
375796019_10224916095591442_3507470512375531155_n.jpg
376233457_10224916073310885_1941164943149530924_n.jpg

Reactions: pizzzzza and Senex
NEW HENRICO GUIDELINES IN EFFECT AS OF TOMORROW NIGHT
375751803_10224916095471439_3681287900871803132_n.jpg
375796019_10224916095591442_3507470512375531155_n.jpg
376233457_10224916073310885_1941164943149530924_n.jpg
This is actually for Hanover County too now. I expect other schools around the region other than these two counties will follow suit shortly.

Reactions: pizzzzza
I hate that it is coming to this, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

I hope that it doesn’t come to this at Dinwiddie. Sometimes the “kids” get a little obnoxious, but by and large they behave. Usually all it takes is a couple of deputies to walk over and speak to them. Truthfully, many of the deputies that work security are School Resource Officers. Consequently, they have a personal relationship with many of the kids. That helps to keep things under control.

I hate that it is coming to this, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

I hope that it doesn’t come to this at Dinwiddie. Sometimes the “kids” get a little obnoxious, but by and large they behave. Usually all it takes is a couple of deputies to walk over and speak to them. Truthfully, many of the deputies that work security are School Resource Officers. Consequently, they have a personal relationship with many of the kids. That helps to keep things under control.
small is good
everybody is at the same school.

I know this is a serious topic, but I had to chuckle about concessions closing at end of third quarter. It's sort of like "no beer sales after the 6th inning" at an MLB stadium.

I know this is a serious topic, but I had to chuckle about concessions closing at end of third quarter. It's sort of like "no beer sales after the 6th inning" at an MLB stadium.
that means that the area around the concessions can be cleared out. That is where half the kids at the game hangs out and could not tell you the score if their lives depended on it. The workers can also reconcile and get to go home with everybody else.

I agree with everyone and @DinwiddieProud I hope this doesn't creep our way. I always enjoy seeing folks hanging out after the games chatting and solving all the worlds problems. Dinwiddie is not immune and occasionally has a few dust ups, but it's usually middle school age kids (girls and boys). Nothing violent and as DP said and quickly halted. I have been to a lot of other schools in the 804 and other than one incident at Meadowbrook many years ago the kids and crowds have been well behaved.

Shoot, I've seen batteries, flat tires, broken mirrors.

ETA: Nevermind. I see this stems from something more serious. That is really unfortunate.

Last edited:
This is actually for Hanover County too now. I expect other schools around the region other than these two counties will follow suit shortly.
Hanover, where the school division leadership is so strong, all it takes is a neighboring county to make a decision and boom “US TOO PLEASE”.

No one outside of the Hanover School Board has ever thought of “Dr. Gill” & “great leader” in the same sentence.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT