ADVERTISEMENT

Salem 28- Magna Vista 7. Random thoughts

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
1. Salem did not give up offensive td.
2. Salem is playing a lot of 9th and 10 the graders at defensive back, wide receiver, and running back.
3. Magna Vista just average football team. No threat in D3 playoffs.
4. Salem not explosive (yet). Salem was on the verge of blowing MV out and started to make mistakes. Allowed them to hang around 21-7 half.
5. Salem qb has not found his timing yet. New receivers.
6. D line and linebackers big and strong but lack edge speed
7. Both running backs are nice high school backs. Quick enough, run hard. One is a 10 th grader the other 11th grader.
8. Kicking game good but coverage weak. Mv ran one back. Salem never punted.
9. Salem not in great condition. Lot of kids got real tired.
10. Salem will not score like they have the last five years. But the defense has potential to be good if secondary holds up and improves.
11. Still see them as 7-3. However, could be very very dangerous come playoff time

:confused:Salem's fine. I will say that qb gladden was not sharp. Forced two passes that should have been thrown out of bounds. Salem 7-3.....no way!!!!!!! No way!!!!!!!!!!o_O:confused::eek:

:confused:Salem's fine. I will say that qb gladden was not sharp. Forced two passes that should have been thrown out of bounds. Salem 7-3.....no way!!!!!!! No way!!!!!!!!!!o_O:confused::eek:

Ron I just think it is timing with the young receivers. It will come.

Ummmm, no. I agree with #1. That's about it.
Hope I'm wrong about the 7-3. But for them to be better than that a bunch of young kids will have to mature very quickly. Good teams are not stupid. They will put eight and nine guys in the box and dare Gladden and his new young receivers to beat them. Salem beat a very bad to average Magna Vista team. Offensive line is big enough but still inconsistent. The defensive front and line backer are good .Secondary has young talent. Their best corner is a nineth grader (good teams will go right at him, baptism by fire) . Look for Amherst game to be a toss up, very close. Baring injury, at the end of the year, Salem will be a pretty good football team, but State contender, hmmmmmm. We'll see

A very bad to average Magna Vista? Jeez I didn't think they were going to be that bad this year.

A very bad to average Magna Vista? Jeez I didn't think they were going to be that bad this year.
MV is not a bad football team. If we had to judge Salem off of their appearance against a quality football team (Brookville) they’d be atrocious then. MV will need to go to their sophomore QB this year. Throw him into the mix early and let him work. Their offense is terrible right now. How do you have all that speed and athleticism at WR and only manage a defensive TD? Go to the sophomore!!!

I dont think i would base that game on they are a very bad team. I just dont think they have an identity yet. I mean a new qb was in every series, and even 3 to 4 running backs were in and out.. i think hes just trying to find who goes where. Now when he does get everyone in place they still not gonna be a light the scoreboard up team, but they will win some games.. i think #4 the best athlete, he played really well, except for that fumble near the endzone.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Very bad is a poor choice of words, I apologise. . Average is much more accurate. When I look at teams (including Salem) I compare them to the best Salem teams and the best teams Salem has played. That's a very high standard and maybe a little unfair, but it's the reality here in Salem.

Reactions: ridge98
MV is not a bad football team. If we had to judge Salem off of their appearance against a quality football team (Brookville) they’d be atrocious then. MV will need to go to their sophomore QB this year. Throw him into the mix early and let him work. Their offense is terrible right now. How do you have all that speed and athleticism at WR and only manage a defensive TD? Go to the sophomore!!!
It was special teams td , not defensive Danville.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I saw some improvements from Salem but they still have plenty of issues. They haven't been able to pass protect on the left side of the line for two scrimmages in a row now. Pass protection hasn't been great in general but they have been pretty good up front in the running game. Ferris really stepped up at wide receiver and I think he has a chance at being very good.

Salem started three sophomores and a freshman in the secondary. I thought they were the better players in the first scrimmage and they got a chance to prove themselves against MV. They also have a freshman at running back that I would like to see get more carries.

Last edited:
I saw some improvements from Salem but they still have plenty of issues. They haven't been able to pass protect on the left side of the line for two scrimmages in a row now. Pass protection hasn't been great in general but they have been pretty good up front in the running game. Ferris really stepped up at wide receiver and I think he has a chance at being very good.

Salem stated three sophomores and a freshman in the secondary. I thought they were the better players in the first scrimmage and they got a chance to prove themselves against MV. They also have a freshman at running back that I would like to see get more opportunities.
That freshman is going to be player. Maybe not at running back but somewhere

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT