ADVERTISEMENT

Salem 49. Pulaski 13

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
Workman like game by the Spartans. Salem is still trying to recover from losing their qb. . Chris Martin doing a nice job and should be commended for his efforts, but he's just not a thrower. Looks like Salem has tried to adjust by using a few new formations, but the lack of a passing game is problematic especially going into playoffs.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
I agree with you whole heartedly @southbottomU. Although it may not always be pretty and not what Salem fans are used to your young men keep on winning. Having some form of passing game will be important when the Spartans face a stout defense in the playoffs, but it doesn't have to be fancy. In fact, the running game surely sets up play action.
Just use the play fake and throw to an intermediate receiver, tight end or back. It will keep the defense on their heels. On another note you have to think twice about loading the box against Salem. Lewis only needs a small crack and he is gone. If I am scheming a defense I play a 3-4 and force Salem to run between the tackles. Tuscarora's defense looks solid, so they may be a challenge for the Spartans if they can put more than 14 points in the board.

Workman like game by the Spartans. Salem is still trying to recover from losing their qb. . Chris Martin doing a nice job and should be commended for his efforts, but he's just not a thrower. Looks like Salem has tried to adjust by using a few new formations, but the lack of a passing game is problematic especially going into playoffs.
Eli should be back ready for the playoffs.

Pretty sloppy game, actually. Good time for a bye week, get the kids re-focused. The direct snap package is really nice, though, and having to account for Jones, Persinger (who is going to be oh so good next year and it's a crying shame we only get one season of it), and Lewis is a lot for a D to do.

And yes, as Mike said Eli will be back for the POs. I suspect even sooner than that. Blacksburg is an excellent chance to get him acclimated and back into the swing of things.

Reactions: RKE Fan
Pretty sloppy game, actually. Good time for a bye week, get the kids re-focused. The direct snap package is really nice, though, and having to account for Jones, Persinger (who is going to be oh so good next year and it's a crying shame we only get one season of it), and Lewis is a lot for a D to do.

And yes, as Mike said Eli will be back for the POs. I suspect even sooner than that. Blacksburg is an excellent chance to get him acclimated and back into the swing of things.
Looks like Tuscarora will go undefeated as they do not have a team with a winning record left on their schedule. If so Salem , if they are fortunate enough to win in the region, would have to go to Tuscarora

Looks like Tuscarora will go undefeated as they do not have a team with a winning record left on their schedule. If so Salem , if they are fortunate enough to win in the region, would have to go to Tuscarora

Really don't know why people are talking about Tuscy instead of Champe. 9-0 over a terrible Heritage, 7-0 over LoCo (a far different one from last year's team), 3 OTs to get by a mid Lightridge squad, and only 14-0 over LV. JC similar struggles with Lightridge and LoCo but crushed Heritage and LV by ~30 points. A state semis contender shouldn't be struggling as much as Tuscy is struggling (that Heritage game in particular is really bad, think Salem beating Northside 9-0).

FWIW CalPreps has Salem with 84% confidence pick against both. Gotta beat Glass/JF/Millbrook first, though.

Reactions: pizzzzza

I honestly think the direct snap package is a game changer aside from getting Eli back. I’ve said since the beginning of the season that Persinger is maybe a step behind Lewis and has great vision as a back. Agree that it’s a shame we only get one year with him at RB. I really hope this is not a temporary fix with Taylor out. You’d be hard pressed to find another team in the state that can put three backs of that caliber on the field at the same time like that. It gives Peyton more options to find a lane and so far he has executed extremely well. I also think he’s enough of an athlete to roll out and throw from that formation, so it’s not necessarily a given run 100% of the time. Really hope we see more of this come the playoffs. With that option and Eli back, Salem will be a much more dangerous team than they have been, even at the start of the season.

Reactions: 1MoreHokie
I honestly think the direct snap package is a game changer aside from getting Eli back. I’ve said since the beginning of the season that Persinger is maybe a step behind Lewis and has great vision as a back. Agree that it’s a shame we only get one year with him at RB. I really hope this is not a temporary fix with Taylor out. You’d be hard pressed to find another team in the state that can put three backs of that caliber on the field at the same time like that. It gives Peyton more options to find a lane and so far he has executed extremely well. I also think he’s enough of an athlete to roll out and throw from that formation, so it’s not necessarily a given run 100% of the time. Really hope we see more of this come the playoffs. With that option and Eli back, Salem will be a much more dangerous team than they have been, even at the start of the season.

Agree on all fronts. It's a lot for a D to account for and unlike many Wildcats, Persinger and Jones are far from bluffs, if you don't watch the ball as a defender you're probably giving up 10+ yards. Persinger, for my money, has the best vision on the team. Totally different runner from Peyton but nearly as good.

I'm hopeful they keep working with this the rest of the season. It's shown so much success you'd have to be really dumb to toss it once Eli returns.

How was it sloppy? Just curious!! I was scolded when I said Salem played a sloppy game vs PH, offense only scoring 10 points on offense.

How was it sloppy? Just curious!! I was scolded when I said Salem played a sloppy game vs PH, offense only scoring 10 points on offense.

Nine penalties, for starters. Drive extending penalties which led to PC scores. Multiple false starts, multiple block in the back on returns. D sort of sloppy in general. Offense was fine, PC only legitimately stopped them once. Coaching staff wasn't on their best either. PC bleeding clock entire drive before half, 4th and goal at 1 with 1:30 left. PC bleeds clock to 0:55 then calls their own TO. Holter had one to use (ignoring the part where Salem needed 2 first quarter TOs) and chose not to do so meaning if Salem gets stop they've got 55 seconds to go 99 yards without a real passing offense. PC scores anyway, Salem gets fortunate with the return and only needs to go 60 yards. Boneheaded playcalls abound and Salem goes into half still holding that one TO, that shouldn't happen and there was absolutely a point to use it. Salem coaches have a storied history of thinking TOs carry over to the second half, it's a bit odd.

Wasn't a terrible game by any stretch but you could just tell they weren't focused early. Like I said, the bye week will be perfect to get zeroed in on what is to come.

Play calling!! I agree, that’s been the deciding factor in which Salem team shows up. Play calling was better last night than it was in the PH game. Play calling as a whole has been so inconsistent in the last couple of years, it’s baffling. Salem has had stupid penalty problems all year.

Would you say we have played any playoff caliper teams up to this point?
Define playoff caliber!! With 8 teams per region usually the 7th and 8th seeds don’t even have winning records. So there’s some really bad teams in the playoffs. Teams that have a chance to win their region?? PH and LCA would be it. LCA we lost and PH we won. PH was missing their starting running back and their starting qb went down in their first series. 2nd string qb was also their running back that game. So they ended up with their 3rd string qb so they could run something besides wildcat. Would have been a tighter game otherwise.

Why you getting all bent out of shape over a simple question? Isn't this a opinion forum? Asking for everyone's opinion "GUY"

@SFUWO, as a team (LCA) I tend to agree with you, but I think Millbrook could (notice I said could) give the Spartans a game. Their only loss was a close one to Kettle Run. I am not sure Millbrook's defense can contain Salem's running game. Glass is an odd match up for Salem; however, they are not a better team than LCA. Stay safe my brother.

Reactions: SFUWO
@SFUWO, as a team (LCA) I tend to agree with you, but I think Millbrook could (notice I said could) give the Spartans a game. Their only loss was a close one to Kettle Run. I am not sure Millbrook's defense can contain Salem's running game. Glass is an odd match up for Salem; however, they are not a better team than LCA. Stay safe my brother.
Last year in the Glass game(regional championship) our OC shat himself. The inconsistency in the play calling.the last couple of years really shined in that game. The play calling is going to make or break Salem through the region. I’m confident Salem will play in the regional final. Just like with PH last year. The Oc had a game plan and it didn’t work and his inability to adjust from said game plan was non existent!! All the skilled talent in the world on this Salem team. It’s gonna be interesting to say the least!!

@Kilroy25, I respect what you are saying and I acknowledge I don't know the inner workings of Salem, but I have seen them play. Even without a credible passing game they have a distinct advantage over most teams, because of their defense.

The Spartans have lost one game and gave up 21 points to an agreed upon by many, a very good LCA team. At this moment I am not sold on anyone in D having the offensive firepower to crack the Salem defense. Glass and Millbrook are possibilities. Glass has turned it up a notch in the past three games, but their opponents are questionable. Offensively, Salem will score at least 21 on everyone in D. The offensive coordinator can't screw up the defense, so I am taking the Spartans against the field in D.

Reactions: FoxesPride
Well, if they're running trap (the way it's supposed to be), it shouldn't be that difficult. None of your blocks coming off the line are vertical. They're all angled. OL shouldn't be some huge issue in that scheme. Unless you're just getting blown up, giving up a lot of run throughs, etc.

Last edited:
Jury is still out on Glass. These last 4 games will tell us more about them. They’re getting better every week. Big matchup this week with an undefeated JF.

@Kilroy25, I respect what you are saying and I acknowledge I don't know the inner workings of Salem, but I have seen them play. Even without a credible passing game they have a distinct advantage over most teams, because of their defense.

The Spartans have lost one game and gave up 21 points to an agreed upon by many, a very good LCA team. At this moment I am not sold on anyone in D having the offensive firepower to crack the Salem defense. Glass and Millbrook are possibilities. Glass has turned it up a notch in the past three games, but their opponents are questionable. Offensively, Salem will score at least 21 on everyone in D. The offensive coordinator can't screw up the defense, so I am taking the Spartans against the field in D.

Would tend to agree and would frankly extend this to anyone in C as well. The defense is incredibly stout and will carry the team deep, if they go deep. Offenses in A/B are another matter but just on paper I would take Salem's D against anyone's O in C/D and, barring total failure on offense, that should be enough to see Salem to a 15 game season.

But the games aren't played on paper either so we'll see. Nothing is easy past week 12 anyway.

Well said @1MoreHokie. Salem can and will be a tough out. Even if they don't get their QB back I think they are capable of winning it all. Several weeks ago I compared Salem to the 2017 Louisa Lions who played the Spartans for the "Ship" and they are currently employing a similar punishing style running game. With the weapons at Salem's disposal they will be tough to defend.

If they reach the final and depending on who they have to face the Spartan defense will be challenged. I know the Salem defense is special, but so are several teams defenses in A and B. My concern for this version of Salem is their ability to handle being spread out. I don't want to talk about the past, because only Dinwiddie consistently spread the Spartans out in the finals. LT ran the veer and Louisa the muddle huddle. Every team Salem will likely play will force them to defend at least four receivers. I know the Spartans have speedy db's, but they will likely have to use Coles in coverage and that will open up some running lanes. A sound running QB could create some issues as well.

Not criticizing, just talking X's and O's. Do any of you Salem faithful have any of the same concerns.

Last year in the Glass game(regional championship) our OC shat himself. The inconsistency in the play calling.the last couple of years really shined in that game. The play calling is going to make or break Salem through the region. I’m confident Salem will play in the regional final. Just like with PH last year. The Oc had a game plan and it didn’t work and his inability to adjust from said game plan was non existent!! All the skilled talent in the world on this Salem team. It’s gonna be interesting to say the least!!
I watched the Glass game last year and play calling is not why they lost. They lost because they got absolutely mauled at the LOS both sides of the ball by the massive line of Glass. Massive lines beat Salem last year and very well could be their downfall this season.

Reactions: rainman17
Well said @1MoreHokie. Salem can and will be a tough out. Even if they don't get their QB back I think they are capable of winning it all. Several weeks ago I compared Salem to the 2017 Louisa Lions who played the Spartans for the "Ship" and they are currently employing a similar punishing style running game. With the weapons at Salem's disposal they will be tough to defend.

If they reach the final and depending on who they have to face the Spartan defense will be challenged. I know the Salem defense is special, but so are several teams defenses in A and B. My concern for this version of Salem is their ability to handle being spread out. I don't want to talk about the past, because only Dinwiddie consistently spread the Spartans out in the finals. LT ran the veer and Louisa the muddle huddle. Every team Salem will likely play will force them to defend at least four receivers. I know the Spartans have speedy db's, but they will likely have to use Coles in coverage and that will open up some running lanes. A sound running QB could create some issues as well.

Not criticizing, just talking X's and O's. Do any of you Salem faithful have any of the same concerns.
Yep, I definitely think a mobile QB could be a huge issue for Salem. They haven’t really faced a true dual threat QB this year, especially anyone even close to Dalton’s talent. I don’t know much about the A/B upper tier teams and correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Dinwiddie the only team with such a player behind center? I mean, I’ve kind of thought for the last few weeks that Dinwiddie poses the greatest challenges to Salem of all the teams in A/B for three big reasons. #1- Dalton for his mobility and elite play, #2- Team speed that can neutralize Salem’s playmakers, #3- Familiarity, they’ve played Salem three times. The other teams might bring team speed, but only Dinwiddie has the incredible talent of Dalton and a fantastic coach that has dealt with the Salem on the field before. Would love to see a round 2 state championship game against the Generals in December, but know it’s premature to be discussing too much of that at this point. Still a lot of football to be played.

That's some very valid points @RKE Fan. I hope all is well. I will be in Salem tomorrow visiting my mom at Richfield.

No one in Class 4 has a QB like Dalton, but I think there are several teams that have capable running qb's. My sole concern is how Salem will defend when they lose that extra linebacker and have to play with a front six. I have no clue which backer will drop or if they would play a nickel. Cole seems like a logical choice, but he is such a nasty tackler it could present problems. Aside from that I am not overly impressed with Salem's defensive line. They are serviceable, but Salem's back seven is their strength. I could be totally wrong on all of this. I am not wishing ill will on Salem. I would love for Dinwiddie to get another shot at them in the finals. Now that will be one heck of a task.

Last edited:
I watched the Glass game last year and play calling is not why they lost. They lost because they got absolutely mauled at the LOS both sides of the ball by the massive line of Glass. Massive lines beat Salem last year and very well could be their downfall this season.
My point being was not adjusting, they kept running trap and off tackle and it got stiffed over and over. No adjustments.

X’s and O’s, will depend on Salem being able to put points on the board against a physical defense, while improved, the Oline is still undersized. I like the direct snap package that Salem has implemented with Lewis taking the snap and having Perrsinger and Jones on his sides. Hand it off or wait and take off. If they implement some screens could equalize the field some and keep the box from being stacked. With some running lanes, that’s one hell of a dangerous backfield!!

That's some very valid points @RKE Fan. I hope all is well. I will be in Salem tomorrow visiting my mom at Richfield.

No one in Class 4 has a QB like Dalton, but I think there are several teams that have capable running qb's. My sole concern is how Salem will defend when they lose that extra linebacker and have to play with a front six. I have no clue which backer will drop or if they would play a nickel. Cole seems like a logical choice, but he is such a nasty tackler it could present problems. Aside from that I am not overly impressed with Salem's defensive line. They are serviceable, but Salem's back seven is their strength. I could be totally wrong on all of this. I am not wishing ill will on Salem. I would love for Dinwiddie to get another shot at them in the finals. Now that will be one heck of a task.
All is well my way. Your concerns are my concerns. Agree that Salem's back 7 are their strength. I'm guessing they will bring in Lewis on defense in a variety of ways when they reach that point in the playoffs. He has played DE and LB at different points and can disrupt plays with his speed and aggressive play. The key will be how healthy he is at that point. Last year, he had a few injuries and that kept him relegated to RB only at the end of the season. That was huge against Glass because Allen was out as well and probably was a key factor in that loss. Although, I agree with what others have said about Salem's O and D lines getting owned that game. Both seem a notch or two better this year. However, I do think Salem will have to play nearly flawless to have a chance to make it to the championship, let alone win it. Hope we will have an opportunity to meet up and talk for a few minutes at the finals like we did a couple of times in the past. Have a safe trip to Salem!

Last edited:
Would you say we have played any playoff caliper teams up to this point?
LCA is a real threat to win C3.

PH is in C5 Region C, which has the Top 6 seeds with only 1 loss. It's one of the most competitive regions in the state. Very unpredictable

William Fleming is in the same Reg. They're 3-3 with LB & FC still on the schedule. Unlikely to make the playoffs, but could sneak into a low seed.

Franklin County is in the same region. They're 3-3 with games against Byrd, WF, and LB looming. Very, very, unlikely to make the playoffs.

Pulaski plays in 3D, which is a pretty weak Reg overall. They may sneak in with a low seed because of the weak Reg.

I am actually have the most confidence in Salem's defense against spread teams. The back 7 is just ridiculously good. The defensive line is not bad but it's definitely the weakest point of the defense.

Teams with big, talented offensive lines that can successfully run right at Salem (like LCA) is where they are most susceptible.

@Shabutie I totally agree with you about the Spartans back seven and I respect your confidence. With only one week to prepare do you think Salem will stick to their base defense or play nickel? I know LCA had some success, but I still believe a teams like King George with its plethora of receivers and sound running game will present a a more difficult challenge. Speed isn't my concern, scheme is. Can you offer your opinion why you think the Spartans defense is primed for the spread.

Last edited:
Yea and how did that work out? Eli froze and the moment was way too big for him in the playoffs and the Lca game
What are you talking about. It worked out just fine. LCA was the first game in a new program vs a state Championship team. Eli did just fine in the playoffs. Then Phoebus had probably the best defense in the entire state. Just ask the KG QB that had crazy stats. In my opinion he managed the game and didn't crack under pressure. Ex Salems last drive.

What are you talking about. It worked out just fine. LCA was the first game in a new program vs a state Championship team. Eli did just fine in the playoffs. Then Phoebus had probably the best defense in the entire state. Just ask the KG QB that had crazy stats. In my opinion he managed the game and didn't crack under pressure. Ex Salems last drive.
I love Eli, know him well. Played with my son at Glenvar. I know all too well how good phoebus defense is. That's why you gotta take advantage of opportunities when there. His first drop back to pass receiver was open. He saw it but wouldn't let it go. Happened a few other times too. Gotta give your athletes a chance to make plays. Just saying

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT