ADVERTISEMENT

Salem Getting Bullied

I've been saying all year that Salem was not an elite team. They have serious weaknesses. Elite teams like Martinsburg will handle them. Good teams will give them fits. Martinsburg is very good. Big and fast. Reminded me of Lake Taylor 2014/2015. Salem needed Zavione Woods and their right tackle but this wouldn't have changed the outcome, just the final score by a few points. One thing I do want to ask Salems defensive coordinator: Can we stop the jet sweep just once this year? I mean just one stop of a jet sweep would make me feel a lot better about our defense.

Martinsburg is very good. I don’t think I would put them on the same level as either of those Lake Taylor teams, especially not 2014, but they are similarly put together. That’s not an indictment, as those LT teams were phenomenal. I think the main factor with the score margin tonight is that this Salem team isn’t close to being as good as the teams of ‘14 and ‘15 were. This year’s Salem team reminds me of 2012 or 2013 - probably more like ‘12. A good, mostly-solid team that had several close wins over other above average/good teams. If Salem can get healthy and keep improving, getting to the regional final would be a realistic goal. Anything beyond that doesn’t seem very likely, at this point, especially with how good Glass looks.

Last edited:
Looks like Salem’s getting that ass whooped tonight.
There were about eight Pulaski fans sitting on the away side (right near me, there might have been more) talking trash the entire time about Salem to the visiting Martinsburg fans and openly rooting against them. Hopefully you were not one of them because that was honestly pathetic.

Could not for the life of me understand why fans would choose not to watch their own team play in a big game and instead go root against a rival and make things up about them to random fans.

You are being a bit over dramatic then. This Martinsburg team isn’t the best one they have had either. If this is the worst team Salem has had in 10 years they have no chance against Glass.
All of the Martinsburg fans that I interacted with felt like this was their best team by far.

Reactions: homeNabroad
No way this is Martinsburg best team ever , not close.
I've been watching Martinsburg for a good 10 yrs. Thanks to NFHS I have watched all of their championship teams. Now I can't sit here and try to determine which team is better than another. Each yr is different. Sometimes your opponents just aren't good as the previous yr. That's what happens in highschool football. I will out this Martinsburg team up against any if those teams that I watched. The biggest difference that I see is the QB was more mobel on some of those teams.

Martinsburg is very good. I don’t think I would put them on the same level as either of those Lake Taylor teams, especially not 2014, but they are similarly put together. That’s not an indictment, as those LT teams were phenomenal. I think the main factor with the score margin tonight is that this Salem team isn’t close to being as good as the teams of ‘14 and ‘15 were. This year’s Salem team reminds me of 2012 or 2013 - probably more like ‘12. A good, mostly-solid team that had several close wins over other above average/good teams. If Salem can get healthy and keep improving, getting to the regional final would be a realistic goal. Anything beyond that doesn’t seem very likely, at this point, especially with how good Glass looks.

Really need to get healthy. Not having Zavione and right tackle really hurt. Wouldn't have changed out come but score might have been a little closer

No way this is Martinsburg best team ever , not close.
Some Salem fans say the same thing about the teams that won the titles 15,16,17. Usually the majority will say 98 was the best team. Definitely had the most depth. It's all opinionated and no way to prove it.

Pulaski fans have been mad for years, they used to be top Dog in football in this area many years ago, then big bad Salem steals there SUNSHINE, many Pulaski fans are nice but let's be honest every team has bad ones.

You are truly a idiot (Rob). I give Salem credit because they are not intimidated to schedule a team of that caliber. Unlike PC that scheduled Bassett and Byrd (real powerhouses). There is not a team West of Charlottesville that could beat Martinsburg from what I seen IMO. Maybe you should talk to your buddy and hero Coach James and see if he can get Martinsburg on schedule next cycle. I think you should stick to girls softball. CLOWN...
Hahahaha. Rob who?

Footballarmy I guess when,U haven't beat salem in 11 years ( about to be 12 u don't join them ( u just go for any school that can beat them.

U guys haven't been good since Joel Hicks lolol ( Martinsburg would whip Pulaski as well. but let's face it U guys would never scedule them

At least Martinsburg is Ranked in the country they have won 7 state championships in the last 10 years. Something that Pulaski knows nothing about. I think the only State football title Pulaski has was in 1992.

most people knew before the game that Martinsburg was the better team they have proven themself for many years. ( just like Salem has in this area of the State for over 15 to 20 years.) Yes we got beat but Martinsburg is Very talented and can play with any team in the state including 5A teams and 6A teams.

Reactions: BulldogSoccer
At least Martinsburg is Ranked in the country they have won 7 state championships in the last 10 years. Something that Pulaski knows nothing about. I think the only State football title Pulaski has was in 1992.
Wasn’t their only loss that year to Salem...all the flavors in the world and some people just choose to be salty. I guess if you can’t beat them, cheer for someone who can.

I think we played them twice that year. We tied the first game and beat them 34-6. The last game

It must be Hard to deal with ( the best team pulaski ever had still got beat by mighty OL Salem.

Salem state championships $$$$$, in 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2004, 2005, 2015, 2016, and 2017. ( yea baby)

I wouldn’t give anyone from Pulaski County the time of day Salem folks. It’s the butthole of the NRV always has and will be.

Reactions: FootballArmy
I’m watching the game now and wow this Martinsburg team is the real deal. Respect to Salem for scheduling them. No one else around here would I bet.

There were about eight Pulaski fans sitting on the away side (right near me, there might have been more) talking trash the entire time about Salem to the visiting Martinsburg fans and openly rooting against them. Hopefully you were not one of them because that was honestly pathetic.

Could not for the life of me understand why fans would choose not to watch their own team play in a big game and instead go root against a rival and make things up about them to random fans.
I don't think they are true PC FANS going to another game when the Cougars were playing such a big game at blacksburg. I've been watching the Cougars since the 70s and i wouldn't think of that.

I don't think they are true PC FANS going to another game when the Cougars were playing such a big game at blacksburg. I've been watching the Cougars since the 70s and i wouldn't think of that.
I wouldn't have thought so either. They were all in their 50s and older and have been going to PC games for 20+ years.

FootballArmy on here is saying some of the same things that one of them was saying the entire first half... I'm pretty positive it is the same guy. Even mentioned that he follows this board when he told Martinsburg fans that "every single Salem fan was predicting a blowout in Salem's favor on the message boards" and then just piled on lie after lie without taking a breath. I listened him and the rest of his group non-stop for an entire half and through most of halftime and it got to the point where the poor Martinsburg fans were being annoyed and I decided to finally confront the main guy. I did it in a calm and rational manner and he did not originally want to partake in a reasonable discussion but we at least a little bit of a back-and-forth where he found out where I was coming from. He finally started to calm down but then when I walked away he wanted to act tough and vowed to "do the same thing the rest of the game." After that I walked back over and gave him a stern warning... needless to say him and the rest of the group ended up barely saying a word in the second half. They did get very excited when they checked the scores and realized that PC beat Blacksburg. I told them that probably would have been a great game to go to...

I wouldn't have thought so either. They were all in their 50s and older and have been going to PC games for 20+ years.

FootballArmy on here is saying some of the same things that one of them was saying the entire first half... I'm pretty positive it is the same guy. Even mentioned that he follows this board when he told Martinsburg fans that "every single Salem fan was predicting a blowout in Salem's favor on the message boards" and then just piled on lie after lie without taking a breath. I listened him and the rest of his group non-stop for an entire half and through most of halftime and it got to the point where the poor Martinsburg fans were being annoyed and I decided to finally confront the main guy. I did it in a calm and rational manner and he did not originally want to partake in a reasonable discussion but we at least a little bit of a back-and-forth where he found out where I was coming from. He finally started to calm down but then when I walked away he wanted to act tough and vowed to "do the same thing the rest of the game." After that I walked back over and gave him a stern warning... needless to say him and the rest of the group ended up barely saying a word in the second half. They did get very excited when they checked the scores and realized that PC beat Blacksburg. I told them that probably would have been a great game to go to...
I'm just saying, a true fan of a team is gonna be cheering them on and not driving 40 miles to watch someone else.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT