ADVERTISEMENT

Salem/GW

Lewis918777

VaPreps Varsity
Feb 3, 2007
Charlotte
Can the Eagles get over the years of defeat by the hands of the Spartans or will the Spartans just take care of business as usual?

I believe as I posted earlier that you can throw out the Botetourt game as the Eagles have improved dramatically. They have the talent to stress the Spartans, no doubt. I think the game will come down to turnovers.

I don’t expect this thread to be anything other than what it’s been since 2014. GW looks pretty good. Last year GW kept it close until the 4th quarter. Salem scored 21 unanswered to make 49-21 final. A focused GW team can give Salem a game and possibly win. GW looks a lot more explosive on offense and defense than they were last year but time will tell. Maybe this week without social media should be apart of the game plan.

Reactions: Lewis918777
I have been very disappointed in what I have seen from Salem. Very talented but make too many mistakes. Look for them to squeak past GW and then get beat in next game. Hate to say this , but this team is very much unSalem like. Most Salem teams are greater than the sum of their parts. This team is less than the sum of their parts.

I have been very disappointed in what I have seen from Salem. Very talented but make too many mistakes. Look for them to squeak past GW and then get beat in next game. Hate to say this , but this team is very much unSalem like. Most Salem teams are greater than the sum of their parts. This team is less than the sum of their parts.
I like Salem by a few TDs. Hope I’m wrong but GW has to prove otherwise against a quality, likewise talented opponent. I think they have the speed to contain Salem on the outside but do they have dawgs to go toe to toe with them in the trenches? It’s 90% mental and I just don’t have that much faith in the Danville kids’ mentality. Nothing would be better is going into Salem and whipping their ass on their home field. The glaring difference in Salem and GW Danville? Salem plays with pride, for their community and the players are all in on their coaches’ philosophies. You can pull a kid up from Salem’s pee wee league and they would have an understanding of what’s going on the varsity level because Salem starts them young and everything is uniform across all levels. We don’t have that luxury in Danville. Until that happens, I believe GW will play second fiddle to the Spartans.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Every team is making mistakes at this point of the yr. You can't compare this yrs teams to teams in the past that had full off-seasons. From what I've seen statewide the top teams are even. Tuscarora, Broad Run, LT and Monacan make the same mistakes.

I'm not sure anybody can stop the Eagles. They are surging at the right time and are confident. They seem to be getting better each game and cohesiveness is the defining word for these high flying birds. They area talented, hard working group of Eagles that have that Eagle stare in their eyes. The Spartans will have to play their best.

I'm not sure anybody can stop the Eagles. They are surging at the right time and are confident. They seem to be getting better each game and cohesiveness is the defining word for these high flying birds. They area talented, hard working group of Eagles that have that Eagle stare in their eyes. The Spartans will have to play their best.
😂😂 3Putt is that you?

I have a feeling that Salem is going to play very well this week... much better than they have been lately. The last two games they have struggled with execution offensively... missing completely wide open receivers, fumbled exchanged (handoffs and snaps) when they are about to score, etc. but I wouldn't put money on them doing it three games in a row. That offense just hasn't been anywhere close to it's potential (and it has a LOT of potential) the last few weeks but I could see that changing if they just start doing better on the easier things.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
I have a feeling that Salem is going to play very well this week... much better than they have been lately. The last two games they have struggled with execution offensively... missing completely wide open receivers, fumbled exchanged (handoffs and snaps) when they are about to score, etc. but I wouldn't put money on them doing it three games in a row. That offense just hasn't been anywhere close to it's potential (and it has a LOT of potential) the last few weeks but I could see that changing if they just start doing better on the easier things.
The goal is to improve each week. This season has been one where most teams are still figuring things out due to no real preseason. In a normal yr we would only be in week 9 right now. I have watched all the teams that are left for most of the season. It's going to come down to specific matchups (style of play) and who can play great defense.

Not a blowout necessarily but “big” considering the matchup. 10-14 points
What are you seeing that I’m not? I think GW is good and you won’t find a bigger supporter than me but they have to actually do it for me to believe it. Talent is never an issue in Danville, the mentality is the issue. Throw a punch at GW, are they going to throw one back? Can they stay in the ring for a full 48? Last year they scored on Salem first and after Salem scored twice, you could see GW bow out.. 1 possession game in the 4th and GW just stopped fighting. These kids don’t have the winning or playoff experience as the seniors did last year. As I said earlier, I hope GW mops the floor with Salem and I will be pulling for them as always... But I’m not getting my hopes up.

Reactions: Lewis918777
What are you seeing that I’m not? I think GW is good and you won’t find a bigger supporter than me but they have to actually do it for me to believe it. Talent is never an issue in Danville, the mentality is the issue. Throw a punch at GW, are they going to throw one back? Can they stay in the ring for a full 48? Last year they scored on Salem first and after Salem scored twice, you could see GW bow out.. 1 possession game in the 4th and GW just stopped fighting. These kids don’t have the winning or playoff experience as the seniors did last year. As I said earlier, I hope GW mops the floor with Salem and I will be pulling for them as always... But I’m not getting my hopes up.
Against Pulaski when GW was down 14-0 early they could have given up, but they fought back. If they play like that Fri night we should have a good game.

I see my posts above are going around Facebook. Screenshot it, frame it, write it down. Prove me otherwise Danville. I just call it like I see it.

Edit: The players have proved my point. Instead of sharing my post and commenting, they ought to be focusing in on their assignments and watching film. All that “Haters gone hate” and “We gonna show them” noise don’t mean crap when Salem has beaten you by an avg of 28 points the past 3 times. SMH!

Last edited:
I see my posts above are going around Facebook. Screenshot it, frame it, write it down. Prove me otherwise Danville. I just call it like I see it.
Yes, you've stirred up a hornet's nest... I mean an Eagles' nest on Facebook. I thinking this is going to be like the GW/LCA game a few years back that went down to the final minute. Whoever wins will do so by a TD.

Man you are such a f-ing bitch. Shit talk the team all season, guys who really used to consider you to be a bro, and then right before the biggest game of their lives you continue to talk down on them and the Danville community. You don’t even live here anymore and are trying to put your foot in where it doesn’t belong because you frankly don’t know anything. I wasn’t going to say anything but for you to “edit” your post and CONTINUE to trash talk them just tells me all I need to know about you as a person. Worry about your own damn team and school if it’s that big of a deal.

Mike good luck to you and the other Salem fans tonight. Ban me if you want I know I broke the rules.

Go Eagles.
I’ll be there tonight.. Mr. Internet Thug. You know who am I.. I won’t be hard to find gangsta.

MY kids are monitored and don’t post inappropriate things on Facebook or Instagram or Twitter. They don’t share things on the bus ride and lose 70-6.. If they do there are consequences in place. Trashing is dropping names, I’d never do that.. Maybe it’ll take all of this for the staff to be on top of this and for the kids to be more focused. I’m a “bitch” because I called them on their wrong.. Was I a “bitch” when I was promoting them and had scouts going to check on them? Danville people like you (because Danville has a lot of excellent people who are not closed minded and are receptive to helpful information) are hilarious. Ask why Johnny Newman and others who made it don’t come back.. People want a handout but won’t take constructive criticism when wrong.

If my posts are that much of a distraction then that says a lot about where the team’s head is at.

Go Eagles!

Last edited:
Reactions: falcettik
I’ll be there tonight.. Mr. Internet Thug. You know who am I.. I won’t be hard to find gangsta.

MY kids are monitored and don’t post inappropriate things on Facebook or Instagram or Twitter. They don’t share things on the bus ride and lose 70-6.. If they do there are consequences in place. Trashing is dropping names, I’d never do that.. Maybe it’ll take all of this for the staff to be on top of this and for the kids to be more focused. I’m a “bitch” because I called them on their wrong.. Was I a “bitch” when I was promoting them and had scouts going to check on them? You Danville people are hilarious. Ask why Johnny Newman and others who made it don’t come back.. People want a handout but won’t take constructive criticism when wrong.

It my posts are that much of a distraction then that says a lot about where the team’s head is at.

Go Eagles!
iDidntGetBanned, you are 100% correct about the southside. I too tried to give back to the area/region and eventually had to get out in order to save my sanity and give myself and my family a better life. Once we "escaped" the area, we almost immediately felt better, less stressed and just in a better frame of mind.

You're also correct that people will not or cannot recognize someone for what they do to try and help an area and and the youth of that area, but as soon as that individual points out a fault or expresses their opinion all heck breaks loose and that person is now a hater. If people are saying it, it must have some truth to the matter and people must believe the opinion that was stated. People are to quick to get offended instead of taking that displeasure and turning it into motivation and pride to prove it wrong.

I think that one thing that really hurts GW and Halifax is playing against the opponents that they do. I'm sorry, but schools like Patrick County, Martinsville , Person County, Tunstall, Bassett,(no offense to these schools) and some of the other opponents they play are not going to prepare either school for playoffs (in any sport) at the class 4 level.

iDidntGetBanned, you are 100% correct about the southside. I too tried to give back to the area/region and eventually had to get out in order to save my sanity and give myself and my family a better life. Once we "escaped" the area, we almost immediately felt better, less stressed and just in a better frame of mind.

You're also correct that people will not or cannot recognize someone for what they do to try and help an area and and the youth of that area, but as soon as that individual points out a fault or expresses their opinion all heck breaks loose and that person is now a hater. If people are saying it, it must have some truth to the matter and people must believe the opinion that was stated. People are to quick to get offended instead of taking that displeasure and turning it into motivation and pride to prove it wrong.

I think that one thing that really hurts GW and Halifax is playing against the opponents that they do. I'm sorry, but schools like Patrick County, Martinsville , Person County, Tunstall, Bassett,(no offense to these schools) and some of the other opponents they play are not going to prepare either school for playoffs (in any sport) at the class 4 level.
Thank you for all you do brother. I think we’ve met before. All love to you and well said. I hate it for these kids cause it hasn’t always been like this. GW and Halifax always played top competition and had as many players in the NFL and other pro sports as any area in Virginia. GW used to be good at EVERYTHING, now those days are gone and when you speak about it, you’re trashing the kids. Our programs should be on the same level as Salem, Blacksburg, Westfield, etc.

I made the move to Richmond 7 years ago, got a job in Southside after grad school and saw everything we both speak of. I passed up numerous offers from other localities for 15k more to move back and give back. I was there 3 weeks and put my resignation in as I couldn’t with the closed mindedness and backwards thinking. Moved my family to the 804 and we haven’t looked back. I still do all I can for those back home but I can’t want it more than they want it themselves.

Last edited:
I make about 10x what I did when I left Danville. But the people in southside are good and determined people. They did not roll over and quit when the economy there changed. There is probably more unity and community sprit at GW than the 1970's when Danville was at 55000. GW has has not had a horrible season in FB or boys BB in over 50 years.
I have encountered way more A holes in Richmond, NOVA, DC, NJ, and NYC over the years than southside VA.
Nuff said.

Back to the game...
I’m out, Danville fans, if you see me tonight, talk to me. Making the long drive as I do every year to support. IF GW plays focused, hard nosed football, they will be successful. Take them cell phones coaches! Hope my mentality posts can be a “I was wrong” post tonight. Nothing would make me happier than to be proven wrong by the Danville boys. @mike salem these guys act like I didn’t get banned and shaved my head because of GW 😂 (just a little humor for today). Best wishes to both teams tonight!
He really posted about a VA Preps post in the write up of the game. I know for a fact that you have always been pulling for these young men. If anything it's called tough love and there's just isn't enough of it these days.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT