ADVERTISEMENT

Salem/Lions.

This time of year it's all about match ups. Salem matches up with Louisa better than Glass did. It should be a good, old fashion smash mouth type of game. Both teams have physical offensive/defensive lines and both play sound defense. I wouldn't expect much passing from either team unless it's in obvious second or third and long situations. No surprise here regardless of the winner.

Did they play each other a few years ago in the State Semis or Championship?

Smash mouth game. Louisa’s QB had 260 something yards Thursday. They did an excellent job of containing Glass’s passing attack. Louisa matches up best with Salem than any remaining team in Region D.

Reactions: VolNation85
I'm really looking forward to it. Both teams match up well defensively with the opposing offenses.

As many have mentioned on here, Salem's front 7 is VERY good. Their DT combo is easily the best that I have seen in the state and all of the LBs are extremely aggressive, fast and physical. The DEs are solid but are definitely the weaker part of the DL (which is why the Peyton Lewis injury was so important) so I am sure they will be attacked.

Reactions: VolNation85
I wish I could see this one in person but I'm obligated to be at Heritage vs. Brookville instead.

Reactions: SFUWO
I doubt the OL of Spartans can do anything with 52 and 97. I saw there highlights on Hudl.

I'm really looking forward to it. Both teams match up well defensively with the opposing offenses.

As many have mentioned on here, Salem's front 7 is VERY good. Their DT combo is easily the best that I have seen in the state and all of the LBs are extremely aggressive, fast and physical. The DEs are solid but are definitely the weaker part of the DL (which is why the Peyton Lewis injury was so important) so I am sure they will be attacked.
Not sure I agree with the ends being weak. They do what’s expected of them. Salem defense is assignment. It’s not flashy, it’s not heroics. It just gets the job done!! Anyone know how many rushing yards the front 7 have given up this year?

Martinsburg - 27 carries for 165 yards
William Fleming - 21 carries for 39 yards
Northside - 28 carries for 70 yards
Christiansburg - 26 carries for 47 yards
Pulaski County - 21 carries for 108 yards
Franklin County - 28 carries for 42 yards
Cave Spring - 16 carries for 5 yards
Hidden Valley - 11 carries for 17 yards
Patrick Henry - 15 carries for 11 yards
Amherst County - 26 carries for 96 yards

Totals:

219 carries
600 yards
2.73 ypc

Reactions: gwb16
i dont know how they will stack up against salem but king george kept them from doing to much damage. they play so much on both sides of the line i dont know how they hold up at all at the pace they play but they sure do get get after it.

Salem fans, can y'all pack your side like this?

1451384_749b371e41a341169b50028d6a9278ac.JPG

Last edited:
It's possible. Especially since it's Louisa Co. A very good team that we haven't played every yr. Definitely see this matchup being a staple in the playoffs for many yrs.
Well Salem is playing at home. Winning records also help.

Well Salem is playing at home. Winning records also help.
Fans in recent yrs have not turned out for playoff games. 2019 vs Glass and Danville crowds were very small

It's possible. Especially since it's Louisa Co. A very good team that we haven't played every yr. Definitely see this matchup being a staple in the playoffs for many yrs.
Appomattox does.

Fans in recent yrs have not turned out for playoff games. 2019 vs Glass and Danville crowds were very small
I know I go to them all because we host and none have been very large. The largest crowd I've ever seen since at LU was Amherst vs. Louisa in 2006

@racindan4u that was directed at Salem fans.
Obviously yes we can. Now will we. Depends on weather. Have A safe trip, eat at Mac and Bob's on Main Street. If weather permits there will be some tailgating. Enjoy your trip. You are about to play in the best high school stadium in Virginia.
Good Salem team but not as good as when we played the Lions last, and not as good as last year. However, I've seen some good Salem teams, not great, win State Championships.

yeah i got that but showing the salem stadium confused me. is that supposed to be a full stadium i mean ours when full is FULL and on the road we have more fans than the home team usually.,

yeah i got that but showing the salem stadium confused me. is that supposed to be a full stadium i mean ours when full is FULL and on the road we have more fans than the home team usually.,

lol it's a 7100 person stadium, it's difficult to fill that up. if Salem had some run-of-the-mill 1500 person stadium like most schools it'd be packed to the gills even when they played winless teams they were going to beat by 50. I feel pretty confident in saying in the nearly 40 years that stadium has been standing no opposing crowd has EVER outnumbered the Salem faithful.

@VAHSFootballFan no, I just expect a smaller crowd since it's still not normal times, but I'd love if everyone comes out. Louisa has had smaller crowds but no restrictions.

Last edited:
@VAHSFootballFan no, I just expect a smaller crowd since it's still not normal times, but I'd love if everyone comes out. Louisa has had smaller crowds but no restrictions.
I'll be honest with you LionsNation, some Salem fans have been spoiled by success and just take it for granted that they'll make it deep in the playoffs. The fan support has been disappointing the last few years, especially considering the recent success. The picture is from 2015 Pulaski when both teams were 9-0. I'd love to see that level of fan support again. The team deserves that much.

That may be true about being spoiled but I also think high school sports has priced themselves out of a market. $7/$8 per game or more is tough on a family especially in these times. I've always been of the opinion that $5 is the most anyone should have to pay for a high school athletic event. Children under a certain age shouldn't have to pay that. I don't know how many coaches and AD's read these posts but I know some would agree. Coaches and players especially would rather see 2000 people at a game paying $5 each than half that many paying $2 or $3 dollars more.

That may be true about being spoiled but I also think high school sports has priced themselves out of a market. $7/$8 per game or more is tough on a family especially in these times. I've always been of the opinion that $5 is the most anyone should have to pay for a high school athletic event. Children under a certain age shouldn't have to pay that. I don't know how many coaches and AD's read these posts but I know some would agree. Coaches and players especially would rather see 2000 people at a game paying $5 each than half that many paying $2 or $3 dollars more.
I can't remember how much tickets cost when I became an adult, but I'm pretty sure it was $5. That $5 from 1992 would be the equivalent of about $9-$10 today. So $7 for a regular season game is reasonable compared to COLA.

Reactions: gwb16
I'll be honest with you LionsNation, some Salem fans have been spoiled by success and just take it for granted that they'll make it deep in the playoffs. The fan support has been disappointing the last few years, especially considering the recent success. The picture is from 2015 Pulaski when both teams were 9-0. I'd love to see that level of fan support again. The team deserves that much.
I've been to all the state games at LU and there have been team fans that have outnumbered Salem. Dinwiddie, Christiansburg, Amherst, Sherando, Richlands and Louisa that I recall. Brookville had a decent crowd. The other schools wouldn't compare because of distance traveled.

I've been to all the state games at LU and there have been team fans that have outnumbered Salem. Dinwiddie, Christiansburg, Amherst, Sherando, Richlands and Louisa that I recall. Brookville had a decent crowd. The other schools wouldn't compare because of distance traveled.
1MoreHokie- [I feel pretty confident in saying in the nearly 40 years that stadium has been standing no opposing crowd has EVER outnumbered the Salem faithful.]

He was referring to Salem Stadium not LU.

I wouldn't be surprised if Salem's #73 plays on the O line.
I doubt he plays offense unless it's absolutely necessary. Salem wants the D-line to stay fresh. So they don't get worn down by the second half. Basically what you see us what you get.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT