Batts 1-1

Salem
Tucker 7-134
Fox 5-60
Quinn 4-31
Pinello 2-17
Wade 2-11

Side notes
I think Salem had one turnover deep in Dinwiddie territory when it could have scored either a touchdown or field goal and a missed or blocked field goal .There were very few penalties . I saw a well played game . After Dinwiddie easily moved the ball on Salem the first drive after Salem had them stopped , Salem got the kickoff and bulled their way down the field . My feel for the game was that Salem kept the ball away enough to pull this one out and were efficient on offense . The offensive line for Salem was very good . The keys to the game were 3rd down conversions for Salem and the clock killing last drive where they took up almost the rest of the clock in the fourth quarter . Neither team was better than the other but , in this game , Salem had one more bullet and used clock management very well. Dinwiddie started with the lead and Salem came roaring back and eventually went up 24-12 early in third . Dinwiddie then showed their grit by coming back with 15 straight points to take 27-24 lead . Then came the last drive for Salem where they ran the ball , mixed in with Beckley runs and short passes and ran every second they could off the clock and almost left too much for the Generals as they reminded me off a Salem -like team in the sense that they never gave up or folded . They always thought that they would win. What a game!

Reactions: mike salem
Just want to make my hats off to both teams for a very well played game. It only makes sense to me that kids playing in a game of this magnitude can be expected to have a case of 'nerves' for a bit, and maybe take a while to get into the flow of things. That makes it all the more remarkable to be that they played such sound football all around.

I was taught a long time ago that football was a very simple game where you had 11 guys morphing themselves into 1 entity...and if every single guy did their job the way they were supposed to, you would be successful. We were also taught that it doesn't matter how good you play defensively on 1st and 2nd down if you don't make the plays you need to make on 3rd down. It seems to me that is where this game was won/lost...the 3rd down conversions for Salem. Simply put, you need to get the other guys off the field, and the only way you do that(baring turnover) is by making plays on 3rd down. If you don't make plays on 3rd downs...they stay on the field, and you make it less and less likely to come out victorious. The Generals did some good things defensively on 1st and 2nd downs...but it didn't matter as they couldn't get off the field on 3rd. Those were the most critical plays of the game, and more often than not, Salem won those battles.

I know many here know the exact details of the game more than myself...so just a quick question. Did Salem ever punt in this game? I know they had one turnover, and I think I recall them missing a FG(they also made a FG), so I was just wondering if the Generals actually forced a punt this game. Can't expect to win games if you don't force at least a few punts in the game.

Just want to make my hats off to both teams for a very well played game. It only makes sense to me that kids playing in a game of this magnitude can be expected to have a case of 'nerves' for a bit, and maybe take a while to get into the flow of things. That makes it all the more remarkable to be that they played such sound football all around.

I was taught a long time ago that football was a very simple game where you had 11 guys morphing themselves into 1 entity...and if every single guy did their job the way they were supposed to, you would be successful. We were also taught that it doesn't matter how good you play defensively on 1st and 2nd down if you don't make the plays you need to make on 3rd down. It seems to me that is where this game was won/lost...the 3rd down conversions for Salem. Simply put, you need to get the other guys off the field, and the only way you do that(baring turnover) is by making plays on 3rd down. If you don't make plays on 3rd downs...they stay on the field, and you make it less and less likely to come out victorious. The Generals did some good things defensively on 1st and 2nd downs...but it didn't matter as they couldn't get off the field on 3rd. Those were the most critical plays of the game, and more often than not, Salem won those battles.

I know many here know the exact details of the game more than myself...so just a quick question. Did Salem ever punt in this game? I know they had one turnover, and I think I recall them missing a FG(they also made a FG), so I was just wondering if the Generals actually forced a punt this game. Can't expect to win games if you don't force at least a few punts in the game.
Salem never punted. I belive Dinwiddie punted twice.

You are correct they did not punt. I think Dinwiddie stopped them once on fourth down. The sad part for me is how close Dinwiddie was to winning. Not on their last drive, but Salems. The Salem side probably couldnt see it as well, but Beckley broke three tackles on fourth down to get the first. Stop him game over. Thst freaking close. Hats off to Beckley. He wanted that win.

I never would hAve though the SALEM passing game would have been the difference. Beckly could do no wrong out there. He orchestrated that offense like a composer of a symphany. He made the right play everytime and was incredibly accurate. Witt played awesome as well and was only 1 throw away from being the lead story.

What Beckly really did well was he houdini-ed his way to first downs on qb keepers where he should have been dead in the water but somehow escaped for a first down. Several times!

Salem was able to throw that 10yrd out too easily especially on 3rd and long. The video quality on the broadcast was poor, but I noticed when I have seen Dinwiddie in person this year their corners sag too far on coverage from the line of scrimmage. Was tht the case yesterday?

Salem beat a whale of a team yesterday.
I just thought Dinwiddie had too much fire-power. That's why they play the game

The Generals have now broken through as a program and will be a power for years to come. They sit out there being the only school in the county with no threat of redistricting. They will be back and hungry.

Both teams were absolute class! Great day for Virginia High School athletics.

Salem... congrats and heavy is the head that wears the crown. But that doesn't mean it aint worth wearing!

2016 Salem Spartans:
You Sir... Are the BEST OF THE BEST!

mbonape's comment brought up another question for those who watched and studied the game a bit closer. What kind of coverage did Dinwiddie actually play on Salem? Did they press them, or did they play off of them to try and keep everything in front of them.

Admittedly, I'm not a coach, and I know opinions vary, but I will say that I personally HATE soft coverage where you basically give the opponent easy completions. I played in a system where we never wanted to GIVE the opponent anything...if they were going to get something, they were going to have to earn it by making plays. I see it all too often on the college and pro levels every week, and it drives me nuts. Receivers can run 10 yards down the field...the corner constantly backing up, and the receiver simply turns around for an easy completion. I know the idea is to keep it front of you and then to simply make the tackle...in essence preventing the big play...but doing that too much simply allows teams to easily get positive plays, and allows the opposing offense to get into a rhythm and get more confidence. As someone who played once upon a time, I can tell you that for me, a team having a 12 play/8 minute drive down the field was much more brutal on us than a team making a big play and scoring quickly. Our philosophy was to never give them anything easily, make them work for every yard, and force players to make plays. If we pressed them, and a receiver got behind us...then force the QB to stand in the pocket and make a good throw, and force the receiver to make the catch. If they do, then they deserved it for making the play. But never just give them easy plays for positive yards. I watch the Skins(as well as numerous other teams) do this weekly and it drives me nuts.. Not surprisingly, the best defenses you see are the ones who play aggressively and don't give easy yards to opponents...and force players to make tougher plays to get positive yards. And again, I know opinions vary, and I know if a team plays tight, and give up big play after big play with no answer, then the argument goes back to playing softer to limit those big plays...but I've just never been a fan of that philosophy on defense.

Not saying this is what happened in this game...just curious for those who saw the game if Dinwiddie played soft or tight on the outside when looking at Salem's QB numbers. He played a heck of a game no matter what Dinwiddie did, but at a glance, those numbers tell me that Dinwiddie played a little too soft to my liking. If they played tight, I would expect maybe a lower completion %, but possibly even more yards than he had. So just curious as to game plan Dinwiddie may have had to try and slow down the Spartans. I remember Trace McSorely having games like this on a regular basis several years back, but when I think of Salem, I simply think of ramming it down your throat and imposing your will against the opponent...not a QB throwing it all over the field. But admittedly, I don't actually watch Salem games, so I may be totally wrong in their offensive philosophy these days.

Your hate is my hate raw meat. Dinwiddie played a soft man to man coverage scheme for the most part. Prior to losing Tyree (ss) and Hudson (lb) to fractured ankles the db's pressed. Unfortunately, these losses hurt us, so we had to soften up to provide run support without over the top help. I am not a coach, but as a fan I would prefer to get beat deep instead of giving up chain moving passes. To be honest, Tyree would have been able to keep Beckley's scrambles to minimum, but you have to play with what you have. Double moves hurt us, but the great screen pass for the td and several dumps to the backs killed us. Great play calling and poor recognition by the linebackers its simple as that.

Biggest factor in Salem's win. 3rd down conversions. This is what won the game for them. IMO.

I thought the same thing, mentioned that several times in summary of the game. Time of possession was huge too but that comes with being able to extend drives such as third down conversions.

I thought the same thing, mentioned that several times in summary of the game. Time of possession was huge too but that comes with being able to extend drives such as third down conversions.
I also thought that I will not dispute the committee selection but, to me, Noah Beckley was the game MVP. The plays he made all night long, especially on the last drive, won the game for Salem. He was simply outstanding. IMO.

Beckley's been that good, it simply was rarely asked of him. He was crucial to winning both Byrd games and LT last year.

Deceptively fast player (like damn fast) and the moves of a slotback. He put up 600 yards rushing on the season as almost an afterthought. If he was called on to be a true dual-threat he'd have probably 1200-1400 yards on the year.

Frankly, the loss of Ramsey caused a restructuring of the offensive gameplan and chief among them was getting Beckley to use his feet more. The naked bootleg was a devastating move of his that worked supremely well when they called it. His OL grew around him and the enormous Mundy returning late helped as well.

I will forever question what this season is like if Ramsey was still on the team because things changed so noticeably for Salem's offense. They reverted back to more of a grindy approach with Burnette, Owens, Robinson being called on early and then using Fox for short yardage (incredibly effective, virtually always good for positive yardage) and putting Beckley on designed runs that punished teams who simply had no film of Beckley on the run beyond scramble plays. A testament to the staff and players to lose a player of that importance and caliber and still be able to essentially move the ball at will against high quality defenses.

Reactions: one man
Beckley has the championship highlights uploaded now.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/2766957/noah-beckley

All the highlights are impressive but the play at the :45 mark (4th down run on last TD drive) was just unbelievable. The DE for Dinwiddie #5 actually made a heck of a play just blowing up the block from the running back and stringing the play out. If you pause the play at :48 it seems impossible to think that he would make it to the 30 yard line.

1:05 is just a perfect throw against good coverage on 3rd and long. He looked off the safety just enough at the start of the play to make sure Tucker has an opportunity one-on-one. The angle and touch on that ball is just top notch.

1:37 is another long third down conversion and it is a deep out route being thrown from the opposite hash mark. You need a lot of arm strength to make this throw and the timing and accuracy are also perfect.

Again, the entire thing is impressive but if I am a scout and see the ability to make these three plays, you know the guy has a world of talent and toughness. From a tools perspective he actually reminds me a lot of Penn State QB and former Briar Woods quarterback Trace McSorley. They are about the same size, quick releases, fast, etc. They played in much different offenses so some aspects of their game are harder to gauge. I would be shocked if he didn't get some late offers. In fact, I think it is very likely that he will end up at an FCS school and I will be willing to eat crow if he doesn't.

I hope whatever colleges he wants to look at him just watch that game's film and try not to offer. Kid's a gamer.

I hate to say this but... He may be a better QB prospect than what a certain in state FBS program currently has on their roster.

I hope whatever colleges he wants to look at him just watch that game's film and try not to offer. Kid's a gamer.
I cannot find where he has any offers yet and it is VERY late in the FBS recruiting process. Probably TOO late.

I would HATE to see him go walk-on. Schools have a huge investment in scholarship QB's. Usually, at least 5 or 6, most of which will never play. Coaches reps are on the line. A walk-on QB must be head and shoulders better than the schollies to have any chance and he gets very few reps and opportunities.

Looks like another Spartan headed to VMI.

I cannot find where he has any offers yet and it is VERY late in the FBS recruiting process. Probably TOO late.

I would HATE to see him go walk-on. Schools have a huge investment in scholarship QB's. Usually, at least 5 or 6, most of which will never play. Coaches reps are on the line. A walk-on QB must be head and shoulders better than the schollies to have any chance and he gets very few reps and opportunities.

Shanti you are going to cause another ruckus, but unlike before (Fox) Beckley may not be as fortunate. This kid is a proven winner, has the tools to make most throws, sound field vision; however, it is very late. Unless there is a late decommitment or a team has a scholarship left the chances are slim.

Dinwiddie's quarterback Witt is in the same spot. I consider him to be equally sound, but he has played in the spread his entire career and although he runs well, he is not a true dual threat quarterback. Beckley could be considered a dual threat qb, but has not played in the spread system.

No slight to either. They both have done wonderful things for their teams, but I believe its a matter of circumstances. This may sound crazy, but hypothetically if they switched teams (schemes) their recruitment may have been different.

Both could probably learn and adapt; however, D-1 college coaches just will not risk a scholarship on someone who has not played in a similar scheme.

I hope both of these young men get an opportunity to play at the next level. Their ability to lead and perform at the highest level has been proven time and time again.

FBS recruiting is mostly done but FCS teams almost always have some spots late that they fill, or have left open and players decide to go elsewhere. He might go play at VMI but I think there is a solid chance that some other FCS schools will jump in late... maybe some other schools in state.

Shanti you are going to cause another ruckus, but unlike before (Fox) Beckley may not be as fortunate. This kid is a proven winner, has the tools to make most throws, sound field vision; however, it is very late. Unless there is a late decommitment or a team has a scholarship left the chances are slim.

Dinwiddie's quarterback Witt is in the same spot. I consider him to be equally sound, but he has played in the spread his entire career and although he runs well, he is not a true dual threat quarterback. Beckley could be considered a dual threat qb, but has not played in the spread system.

No slight to either. They both have done wonderful things for their teams, but I believe its a matter of circumstances. This may sound crazy, but hypothetically if they switched teams (schemes) their recruitment may have been different.

Both could probably learn and adapt; however, D-1 college coaches just will not risk a scholarship on someone who has not played in a similar scheme.

I hope both of these young men get an opportunity to play at the next level. Their ability to lead and perform at the highest level has been proven time and time again.
Both are excellent players. Witt had a tremendous game but I have to say, I think he got over shadowed by Beckley's performance. At least on this occasion. I said before that I believe Beckley was the MVP.

The ruckus will almost certainly occur but only among those that don't understand the recruiting process as it exists today. But no issue. I go through this every year.

Tremendous season for the Generals. I still think they were the best team in 4A but on Saturday, Salem was perfect. it's why they play the games. Well done Spartan's.

FBS recruiting is mostly done but FCS teams almost always have some spots late that they fill, or have left open and players decide to go elsewhere. He might go play at VMI but I think there is a solid chance that some other FCS schools will jump in late... maybe some other schools in state.
Maybe. GL to him.

I thought we were talking about recruitment Shanti. I agree Beckley was the MVP and has willed his team to two straight. Nothing, but respect for him and the Spartans.

The only reason I brought Witt into the equation was to show Beckley was not alone in the evaluation process.

Unfortunately or deservedly so, Northern Virginia and the 757 kids continue to garner the majority of the D-1 attention.

This may sound crazy, but hypothetically if they switched teams (schemes) their recruitment may have been different.

I agree 100% with this. I think Beckley is actually better suited for a spread offense and Whitt's skillset translate better to a pro-style offense.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
I know that JMU and W&M are interested in Beckley and today UVA wise was at the school talking to him.

I thought we were talking about recruitment Shanti. I agree Beckley was the MVP and has willed his team to two straight. Nothing, but respect for him and the Spartans.

The only reason I brought Witt into the equation was to show Beckley was not alone in the evaluation process.

Unfortunately or deservedly so, Northern Virginia and the 757 kids continue to garner the majority of the D-1 attention.
I agree with the inclusion of Witt in the discussion and I also thought we were talking recruting.

But here's a little surprise for you. The 804 kids get the most D1 offers almost every year. I certainly understand that many big names come from 757 and NOVA areas and don't disagree with that but the numbers don't lie.

Didnt know that Shanti? 804, wow! I guess not a lot is made of it in the media here. Congrats to Beckley on the interest.

If these colleges can't find a spot for Beckley somewhere on the field then they are out of their minds..

@BleedingNavy I think Witts only play on a college team is QB. He's good enough. Somebody will offer him I'm sure. He has earned and opp to play at the next level

Shon Mitchell of Oscar Smith has verbally committed to W&M. From all the things I've read online, he seems pretty serious about honoring that commitment. I don't know exactly how that would affect the Tribe's recruiting of our man Beckley (if they are recruiting him), but it doesn't seem as if it would help. Unless they have interest in him as an athlete and not as a qb.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT