ADVERTISEMENT

Sales m 7 on 7 Tuesday at 10am at Patrick Henry. I think six teams

I don't see why Beckley isn't a D1 QB, especially at the FCS level. Will he play right away? It's a possiblity, but like a lot of you have said, he's only been the QB for one year and in that one year he led his team to the ultimate goal. I hate to seem like I bring up GW in every post, but Hunter Byrnes (your 2014 4a West Player of the Year), couldn't throw the ball but about 35 yards in 2013, maybe even less. In 2014, he tore it up. He worked hard and won Player of the year. He owns every passing record at GW now, was an invited walk on at UVA and will more than likely be Davidson College's starting QB in 2017. My point, Beckley has something Byrnes had...TIME and work ethic! He's had this whole offseason to get better and I have no doubt that he'll be ok. He showed a lot of toughness against that LT defense which had what 6-7 D1 and D2 players on it? Let's not look at this kid's weakness and look more at his toughness, his leadership ability, and game management. He'll be fine. It will be no surprise to me when he signs with VMI, UR, Liberty, Bucknell, etc on signing day in February.
VMI is actually a possibility. They get some decent players but the fact is, they also get remnants. Where almost all DI's are done with recruiting by August/September, VMI gets the leftovers. They still have to get commitments in December and January where everyone else has been done for months. It kind of defines who they are and where they are competitively. It does happen but it's why so few Players get DI offers in their Senior year.

Invited walk-ons are a joke at most schools, especially when they have 6 other schollies at the same position. But it depends on the program. For example, VT and ODU really give these kids a chance. Most are just practice team fodder. Of every 6 scholly QB's, 4 will never see the field or have their schollies renewed. Yes, renewed. A scholly is not a 4 year deal. It has to be renewed every year. Only year one is guaranteed when the LOI is signed.

Work ethic is fine. It can make you a better player in any sport. Pete Rose is a great example. He had no athletic talent at all but he had more hits than anyone in history (although I'd like to acknowledge Ichiro because of my love of Japan). But this is Football. A great athlete can be a great QB in months. Vic Hall or Michael Vic are good examples. They were not trained. They were born.

I do wish the best for the 9th best QB at Camp, who also may very possibly get a second State Championship ring.

I don't see why Beckley isn't a D1 QB, especially at the FCS level. Will he play right away? It's a possiblity, but like a lot of you have said, he's only been the QB for one year and in that one year he led his team to the ultimate goal. I hate to seem like I bring up GW in every post, but Hunter Byrnes (your 2014 4a West Player of the Year), couldn't throw the ball but about 35 yards in 2013, maybe even less. In 2014, he tore it up. He worked hard and won Player of the year. He owns every passing record at GW now, was an invited walk on at UVA and will more than likely be Davidson College's starting QB in 2017. My point, Beckley has something Byrnes had...TIME and work ethic! He's had this whole offseason to get better and I have no doubt that he'll be ok. He showed a lot of toughness against that LT defense which had what 6-7 D1 and D2 players on it? Let's not look at this kid's weakness and look more at his toughness, his leadership ability, and game management. He'll be fine. It will be no surprise to me when he signs with VMI, UR, Liberty, Bucknell, etc on signing day in February.
The only reason I said D2 is because of his size- 6' 185 as a Jr. D1 & 1AA generally go with the measurables. Hill, the '12 QB, was listed at 6'5" 214 as a Sr. Coulling, the '14 QB, was listed at 6'3" 187 as a Jr. These guys were pocket passers, Beckley adds the element of mobility. I think he will compete at whatever level he's offered.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
The only reason I said D2 is because of his size- 6' 185 as a Jr. D1 & 1AA generally go with the measurables. Hill, the '12 QB, was listed at 6'5" 214 as a Sr. Coulling, the '14 QB, was listed at 6'3" 187 as a Jr. These guys were pocket passers, Beckley adds the element of mobility. I think he will compete at whatever level he's offered.
I agree with this. He will compete.

Reactions: mike salem
I dont know if anyone noticed this on the hudl highlights, but when Beckley leaves the pocket to run, the down field blocking is incredible. Everyone finds a man and Beckley weaves his way through traffic. 10-15 extra yards per play.

You guys know, I am surely not a hater of Salem, nor am I on the bandwagon, but you have to respect the technique.

I watched Northside today at the Averett 7 on 7. I don't base a lot off of 7 on 7s but I will say that I don't see them challenging Salem this year. Had a couple good looking athletes, but nothing like they've had in the past 8 years. I did see @AdvocateOfMany434's Appomattox Raiders and I would love to see them play a team like Salem or even Lake Taylor. Only had 11 players with them but I was highly impressed with their athleticism. Should be a treat to watch when they play the Lancers of Amherst!

I dont know if anyone noticed this on the hudl highlights, but when Beckley leaves the pocket to run, the down field blocking is incredible. Everyone finds a man and Beckley weaves his way through traffic. 10-15 extra yards per play.

You guys know, I am surely not a hater of Salem, nor am I on the bandwagon, but you have to respect the technique.

FUNDAMENTALS, FUNDAMENTALS, FUNDAMENTALS!!!!!!

Reactions: mike salem
I worry a little about Becton from Highland Springs. He is just so much bigger and stronger than all that are across the line from him, sound technique is usually not necessary for him to be successful. And his darn arms are about 9 ' long. I was not overwhelmed by his style in the highlight films I've seen. But obviously I don't know what I'm talking about, because a lot of big college recruiters love him. (This is why I run wires, and not a recruiting program!)

I watched Northside today at the Averett 7 on 7. I don't base a lot off of 7 on 7s but I will say that I don't see them challenging Salem this year. Had a couple good looking athletes, but nothing like they've had in the past 8 years. I did see @AdvocateOfMany434's Appomattox Raiders and I would love to see them play a team like Salem or even Lake Taylor. Only had 11 players with them but I was highly impressed with their athleticism. Should be a treat to watch when they play the Lancers of Amherst!
Who was QBing? A lean dark skin kid about 6'2"?

Only 11? WTHeck?

Who was QBing? A lean dark skin kid about 6'2"?

Only 11? WTHeck?
12 at the most.. He wore #1.. I was sitting on the hill so I really couldn't tell how tall he was. Athletically, them and High Point Christian definitely stood out. Gretna looked good too. Very small and young, but they methodically beat JR Tucker out of Richmond and North Surry out of NC. Those were the only 2 games I saw of the Hawks and Appo was taking it too that team (either Northern Guilford or PH Roanoke) when I left.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
12 at the most.. He wore #1.. I was sitting on the hill so I really couldn't tell how tall he was. Athletically, them and High Point Christian definitely stood out. Gretna looked good too. Very small and young, but they methodically beat JR Tucker out of Richmond and North Surry out of NC. Those were the only 2 games I saw of the Hawks and Appo was taking it too that team (either Northern Guilford or PH Roanoke) when I left.

yeah, that is him, #1. great kid with good attitude, humble kid and he is good kid. The PROBLEM, that dude is a P4P hitter!!! He comes up from safety and LAYS EM DOWN!!! Love watching him on D and Im going to miss it if is going to be the full time QB. He is very smart with the ball and great football IQ, he has a nose to find the ball anywhere. This is probably reasoning for Smith making him QB. He works hard in weight room, but he is one that is hard to gain weight, he may be 165-170 now.
Watch this film and you will see what im talking about (sophomore).

Like I said, "life is getting the best" of last year's JV qb and he probably wont even be playing this year. Shame, he led last years JV to 9-1, year before lost only 2 games. He is a rising Junior and would have been a solid 2nd stringer.

Surprised you said Gretna looked good? I didnt see much in their JV or Varsity last year. I think the JV qb has potential though. He was injury prone last year if I remember right.

Surprised you said Gretna looked good? I didnt see much in their JV or Varsity last year. I think the JV qb has potential though. He was injury prone last year if I remember right.
They've laid the wood down on GW and Magna Vista already this summer. They played up at Ferrum yesterday and lost to Amherst in the semi finals on the last play of the game. I know it's just 7 on 7 but that's pretty impressive for Gretna. They don't amaze you, but some how some way they score. I didn't see any players from Gretna that stood out at all, but they played very well as a unit. They won't beat Heritage or Appo or Dan River but I expect them to be a 14-16 seed in the playoffs. The Gretna coaches was bragging on how good Graham was. I know they have that RB, but they talked as if the G-Men will be a top team this year.

yeah, that is him, #1. great kid with good attitude, humble kid and he is good kid. The PROBLEM, that dude is a P4P hitter!!! He comes up from safety and LAYS EM DOWN!!! Love watching him on D and Im going to miss it if is going to be the full time QB. He is very smart with the ball and great football IQ, he has a nose to find the ball anywhere. This is probably reasoning for Smith making him QB. He works hard in weight room, but he is one that is hard to gain weight, he may be 165-170 now.

Like I said, "life is getting the best" of last year's JV qb and he probably wont even be playing this year. Shame, he led last years JV to 9-1, year before lost only 2 games. He is a rising Junior and would have been a solid 2nd stringer.
He can play.

Very good highlights.

Hello everyone I'm new to the board! I too was at the 7 on 7 at Averett yesterday and was pleased with the talent I saw. I don't know if the Northside team is ready for a Salem caliber team this year but over all from what I saw they should be fine. When they played Appomattox they surprised me by scoring fairly easily, knocking them out of the tournament. But it is just 7 on 7's..

Hello everyone I'm new to the board! I too was at the 7 on 7 at Averett yesterday and was pleased with the talent I saw. I don't know if the Northside team is ready for a Salem caliber team this year but over all from what I saw they should be fine. When they played Appomattox they surprised me by scoring fairly easily, knocking them out of the tournament. But it is just 7 on 7's..
northside or salem knocked Appo out?

Welcome to the board Maroon&Gold.

Yeah Tra Jackson looked real good but they looked like an average team after that.. Who knows though? Northside always finds 4-5 playmakers to step up year in and year out..Welcome to the board btw!

Glad to have you M&G29.

Welcome aboard and you're right. Just 7 v 7. Nice chance to see the skill players but the horses mean a whole lot come September.

You have to understand recruiting. DI recruiting is essentially done by Sept 1. There are a handful that get offers after. Sometimes there is something exceptional that emerges but it's rare. VMI works later but recruits leftovers. No one wants to go there. It explains why their record is what it is.

Just check the records. Teams like UVA and VT already have their maximum commits by Sept 1. They have to. It's just the current state of recruiting. Seniors are locked in before Sept 1. Of course, there are the primadonnas that like to be wined and dined till signing day but they have double digit DI offers.

Beckley still has time but no offer by Sept 1 from a DI school makes his odds very unlikely. I do see him as a capable DIII. Still a good accomplishment and more than enough to earn a 2nd ring. UVA-Wise has already offered so he's doing fine. GL to him and the Spartans.

You have to understand recruiting. DI recruiting is essentially done by Sept 1. There are a handful that get offers after. Sometimes there is something exceptional that emerges but it's rare. VMI works later but recruits leftovers. No one wants to go there. It explains why their record is what it is.

Just check the records. Teams like UVA and VT already have their maximum commits by Sept 1. They have to. It's just the current state of recruiting. Seniors are locked in before Sept 1. Of course, there are the primadonnas that like to be wined and dined till signing day but they have double digit DI offers.

Beckley still has time but no offer by Sept 1 from a DI school makes his odds very unlikely. I do see him as a capable DIII. Still a good accomplishment and more than enough to earn a 2nd ring. UVA-Wise has already offered so he's doing fine. GL to him and the Spartans.
Idk about this.. I know of quite of few kids that schools didn't recruit them until after their senior year but maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying.. If you have talent, you're going to get found. And I definitely don't agree with your take on VMI.. There definitely are kids wanting to go there.. If they offered me a free scholarship, I'd d*mn sure go! That's just like saying that the athletes that go there can't do any better and that's quite distasteful to say.. Theres a lot worst places than VMI.

Idk about this.. I know of quite of few kids that schools didn't recruit them until after their senior year but maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying.. If you have talent, you're going to get found. And I definitely don't agree with your take on VMI.. There definitely are kids wanting to go there.. If they offered me a free scholarship, I'd d*mn sure go! That's just like saying that the athletes that go there can't do any better and that's quite distasteful to say.. Theres a lot worst places than VMI.
We're talking DI here. Just look at the database. Most DIs are already in the double digits for commitments. Their limit is 25. Come back on Sept 1. The recruiting classes have already been rated and their commitments locked in. The competition for recruits is that fierce, the goal is to have everyone locked in by then.

Now, you're right about recruiting not being over. Plenty of DII and NAIA Colleges around that can offer schollies but if you notice, these don't appear in the Rivals database. Stories will appear on the board but it's really not considered recruiting. There's a major difference between DI and DII? Go to the games. See the facilities. Night and day. And this reminds me of something. The new JF weight room is better than any DII I've been to and I've been to a National Champion DII. Some good DIIIs out there but they don't offer schollies. Not allowed. Financial Aid....yes. And it always irks me when people post that player "A" has committed to DIII "B". An LOI is a commitment. To be more exact, it is a contract. DIII's cannot have LOI's, therefore there is no commitment. Anyone can play DIII. You just have to be a full time student.

Also, you don't "get found". Scouts are not randomly in the stands roaming around VA every week. This is a relationship business. It's a phone call to or from your HS Coach. That's where recruiting starts.

Absolutely nothing wrong with VMI. Fine school. Plenty of noteworthy alumni. But it takes a special person to go there and accept the Military structure. Just go to the database (again) and compare the # of commitments to a UVA or VT. Big difference even today. Come Sept 1, they'll still be sitting there at 3 or 4. UVA and VT will be at 25. No disrespect to anyone but these are the facts. Interprete them as you wish.

I can name a few DI players that received offers in their Senior year. It does happen. Can you name anyone with a Senior year schollie offer to a DI school?

There definitely are kids wanting to go there.. If they offered me a free scholarship, I'd d*mn sure go! That's just like saying that the athletes that go there can't do any better and that's quite distasteful to say.. Theres a lot worst places than VMI.

I agree completely.
You can agree. But look at the facts and compare the database of commitments. VMI just doesn't get to sit at the Thanksgiving table like everyone else. It is what it is.

They've laid the wood down on GW and Magna Vista already this summer. They played up at Ferrum yesterday and lost to Amherst in the semi finals on the last play of the game. I know it's just 7 on 7 but that's pretty impressive for Gretna. They don't amaze you, but some how some way they score. I didn't see any players from Gretna that stood out at all, but they played very well as a unit. They won't beat Heritage or Appo or Dan River but I expect them to be a 14-16 seed in the playoffs. The Gretna coaches was bragging on how good Graham was. I know they have that RB, but they talked as if the G-Men will be a top team this year.
Thanks for info

We're talking DI here. Just look at the database. Most DIs are already in the double digits for commitments. Their limit is 25. Come back on Sept 1. The recruiting classes have already been rated and their commitments locked in. The competition for recruits is that fierce, the goal is to have everyone locked in by then.

Now, you're right about recruiting not being over. Plenty of DII and NAIA Colleges around that can offer schollies but if you notice, these don't appear in the Rivals database. Stories will appear on the board but it's really not considered recruiting. There's a major difference between DI and DII? Go to the games. See the facilities. Night and day. And this reminds me of something. The new JF weight room is better than any DII I've been to and I've been to a National Champion DII. Some good DIIIs out there but they don't offer schollies. Not allowed. Financial Aid....yes. And it always irks me when people post that player "A" has committed to DIII "B". An LOI is a commitment. To be more exact, it is a contract. DIII's cannot have LOI's, therefore there is no commitment. Anyone can play DIII. You just have to be a full time student.

Also, you don't "get found". Scouts are not randomly in the stands roaming around VA every week. This is a relationship business. It's a phone call to or from your HS Coach. That's where recruiting starts.

Absolutely nothing wrong with VMI. Fine school. Plenty of noteworthy alumni. But it takes a special person to go there and accept the Military structure. Just go to the database (again) and compare the # of commitments to a UVA or VT. Big difference even today. Come Sept 1, they'll still be sitting there at 3 or 4. UVA and VT will be at 25. No disrespect to anyone but these are the facts. Interprete them as you wish.

I can name a few DI players that received offers in their Senior year. It does happen. Can you name anyone with a Senior year schollie offer to a DI school?
Yes I should've made myself clear, D1 guys that has absolutely no offers until after their season was over. This year Curtis Brooks from GW Danville got his first D1 offer right before the 6th game of the season and ultimately signed with Cincinatti which offered him in late January.. Travis Fields who led IC Norcom to 3 straight state championships in basketball didn't get offered until after this season and has signed to play for ODU ... There's more but you get my jist.. If you're good enough, you'll play on the big stage.

Yes I should've made myself clear, D1 guys that has absolutely no offers until after their season was over. This year Curtis Brooks from GW Danville got his first D1 offer right before the 6th game of the season and ultimately signed with Cincinatti which offered him in late January.. Travis Fields who led IC Norcom to 3 straight state championships in basketball didn't get offered until after this season and has signed to play for ODU ... There's more but you get my jist.. If you're good enough, you'll play on the big stage.
Basketball is not football. I agree. If you're good enough, you play on the big stage. But football recruiting is recruiting. After Sept 1, it's basically over. Yes, there are exceptions, but in VA you don't need more than a hand or two to count them after that time.

NP Wikki! I heard Amherst is looking real good! The Gretna coaches said that they were very athletic, which is no surprise. I've always been impressed with the athletes that comes out of Amherst County. Top notch program and I'm glad to see them get back to their winning ways!
Yes they are, having been hearing great things. Knew they did really well at the 7 on 7. I can't wait for the season to start. Thanks for the nice comments

Basketball is not football. I agree. If you're good enough, you play on the big stage. But football recruiting is recruiting. After Sept 1, it's basically over. Yes, there are exceptions, but in VA you don't need more than a hand or two to count them after that time.
I can think of two Salem players in the last few years that went D1 and didn't get offered until their senior year.

I can think of two Salem players in the last few years that went D1 and didn't get offered until their senior year.
Welcome to the two hand club. Coleman Fox got one offer. From Beamon and as a legacy. His only offer. You can count VMI as a DI. Technically, that's correct but I've already discussed this. VMI gets leftovers.

But I have to agree with Mike Salem. Coleman can make a decent slot receiver at VT. I can't see him as an RB with the others they have but he had some good Spring game time and he does the Salem thing. Works his ass off. Does make things possible. GL to hm.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT