ADVERTISEMENT

Scores

GW 42 Halifax 24
Salem 49 Amherst 28
Pulaski 14 Blacksburg 10
I like your predictions. I could see the Halifax/GW game being a little closer since Halifax plays better at home than away. I could also see Blacksburg pulling the upset, maybe getting a late field goal. I think both Blacksburg and PC will be playing with major bounce back mode mentalities after PC losing a close one to Salem and Blacksburg losing a tough game to a Christiansburg team that they haven’t lost to in a long time. Losing to a cross town rival is never fun. I am sure that Amherst has improved since their week 1 shellacking from Salem. Coach Bob Christmas knocked off Salem last year in the first round of the playoffs when he was the head coach at JF. So I would not be surprised if this game was closer than some people expect. Christmas is a good coach.

From what I have read about Halifax this week, I just don't see a way for them to beat GW. For one, their first game was a decisive defeat. Secondly, practice was canceled on Tuesday because of the cold temperatures. Also, school was closed on Monday for Veterans Day, and some people chose not to go to practice. (Some have chosen to participate in basketball practice and forego football practice)

I don't have first-hand knowledge of this just what I've heard. If this is true it sounds like a culture change is needed to have success in football. It's almost as if some have written off this playoff game against an opponent they've already lost badly to, and decided to prepare for basketball season where they are much more competitive.

Unless GW completely implodes, I don't see Halifax making this one closer then the first go-around imo.

From what I have read about Halifax this week, I just don't see a way for them to beat GW. For one, their first game was a decisive defeat. Secondly, practice was canceled on Tuesday because of the cold temperatures. Also, school was closed on Monday for Veterans Day, and some people chose not to go to practice. (Some have chosen to participate in basketball practice and forego football practice)

I don't have first-hand knowledge of this just what I've heard. If this is true it sounds like a culture change is needed to have success in football. It's almost as if some have written off this playoff game against an opponent they've already lost badly to, and decided to prepare for basketball season where they are much more competitive.

Unless GW completely implodes, I don't see Halifax making this one closer then the first go-around imo.
Mike, have you watched any video on Halifax or GW? What are both of these two offenses like? Do they throw the ball or run the ball more? And what are their defenses like?

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Mike, have you watched any video on Halifax or GW? What are both of these two offenses like? Do they throw the ball or run the ball more? And what are their defenses like?
I watched the YouTube video of Amherst/GW, and listened to the Dinwiddie/GW game online. I know this is not the same as watching Hudl film. I know Halifax is a run focused team. GW is more balanced, but they are run heavy as well. GW has been a big play team on offense and special teams. As good as GW's offense is, their defense and special teams have been porous against good teams.

Since I haven't really seen either team, I would let @Go_Cometss and @Chuck Vipperman (GW) or @iDidntGetBanned answer to what each team runs and their defensive and special teams schemes and performance.

I watched the YouTube video of Amherst/GW, and listened to the Dinwiddie/GW game online. I know this is not the same as watching Hudl film. I know Halifax is a run focused team. GW is more balanced, but they are run heavy as well. GW has been a big play team on offense and special teams. As good as GW's offense is, their defense and special teams have been porous against good teams.

Since I haven't really seen either team, I would let @Go_Cometss and @Chuck Vipperman (GW) or @iDidntGetBanned answer to what each team runs and their defensive and special teams schemes and performance.
Thanks for the info, Mike.

GW was a solid team when we played them. It's hard to take much away from the first game of the year, but I was impressed. One of the big things I saw, (which was contrary to what some were saying), they never quit. In fact, if the game had lasted another 10 minutes I'm not sure they wouldn't have taken the win.

It was a lot of football games ago, but I think I remember them having a lot of success with off tackle run plays, and taking it around the end. Again, it was a lot of games ago, but I think I remember them being successful running the sweep, but cutting it back inside.

I remember a lot of good size players, and a lot of athletic ability. Well coached and desiplined.

If Mike's information is correct about Halifax, it sounds like it's over before it gets started. It sounds like certain players just want to get on with the basketball season. Not good for team chemistry.

Maybe I'm missing something here but why would the basketball coach or the AD allow this to happen? Sure the coach would be happy to get his players but what kind of working relationship is that? And how can the AD allow that? Does it go higher? Any way you look at it, if this is true, that's a very toxic environment IMO.

@MrSalem1000 @mike salem IMO special teams and second & third level tackling has been an area of concern. Our coaches make due with what we have. Tell you the truth, if we had a kicking game last year, we would’ve beat Pulaski. If it’s a close game and we’re in the red zone and we’re down by 2, we HAVE to put the ball in the end zone for 6. It’s not our kickers fault, he’s the only kid in the whole school who came out to kick. Our special teams coverage is bad but could be a lot worse. It’s harder to cover opponents when they know that the kick isn’t going any further than the 20 yard line, they’re already set and prepared with a running start.

Our secondary was atrocious in 2017 (the year Salem came to GW). Poor tackling, bad coverage, not talented.. Last year we were stout but EJ Horton EXPOSED us!! It’s hard to replace a Carl Poole (Liberty University) , especially when you’re replacing him, Quenton Elam (Virginia State), and Marquise Carter (Ferrum) with 3 sophomores at Linebacker this year. Our secondary this year is the best we’ve had since 2015. The corners are small but they will hit you. I think right now it’s a learning curve of being in position. You see Shawn Watlington & Kendrell McClary shouldering the coverage load a lot.
Our D-Line is definitely one of our biggest strengths.

As @DinwiddieProud eluded to, we aren’t bad at all, however we’ve caught the “Courtland Bug”.. We start slow against very very good teams like Dinwiddie and Glass and it has costed us this year. Dinwiddie was as talented as they come, I can’t imagine any team in the West being any more physical as they were on that D-Line. Glass is very very physical , I know Salem is as well, but we played well against Dinwiddie! Other than the slow start& containing Barlow (but nobody has been able to contain him), we were in that game against a quality opponent. Glass was up 21-0 at one point, there’s no coming back from that against an elite team. They didn’t quit but we have to work on starting fast and playing all 48!!!

Last edited:
Our defensive line is usually boom or bust. The secondary is a weak spot and we need to get a hold of the 50/50 balls more. The past few years we’ve been 90+% run, but now it’s more 65% run this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT