ADVERTISEMENT

Shenandoah Thus Far?????

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
It is probably too early for this degree of speculation, but I had some free time today, so why not let her rip? So here are my thoughts on how the Shenandoah might shape up this year. But of course you could argue does it really make any difference, since they will split into at least three conferences for playoffs anyway, instead of having a district tournament. But for the purposes of this discussion, humor me and let's pretend that it was the good old days when district standings meant something. So here is my take at this early stage....

1) East Rock.....You can take that to the bank and in fact if my bookie were to call, I would say put some money down on them going 14-0 in district play. Page "might" have a crack at them at home but I doubt it.

2) Page......I guess I kind of spoiled that, didn't I? Anyway, they sound good enough on paper (haven't seen them yet) to be the number two pick.

3) Stuarts Draft........Sounds as if they have revved up that offense again and will run everyone to death as usual.

4/5/6 Look at me cheating already and refusing to actually pick someone.......but there is just not enough separation yet to choose between Stonewall, Riverheads and Wilson for these three slots. Each one has a road win in district play already, so that is encouraging, and you "could" give an edge to Stonewall since theirs was at Wilson. Riverheads started off the season in fine form with three straight wins, including a non-district road win at Fort Defiance. But their only district wins so far came against Buffalo Gap and Luray, whom you are about to see are at the bottom of my list. So the Gladiators, being as young as they are, could either catch fire and finish higher in the standings, or they could struggle and drop down a slot or two. The Wilson loss at home to Stonewall was a surprise, but yet it sounds as if they gave Page a good game last night, so if we have a Jekyll and Hyde team this year, it could be the Hornets. As for Stonewall, if they do go on to have a good season and escape the basement they have been in for longer than any of us can remember, I think the whole district should stand up and applaud them.

7/8 Buffalo Gap and Luray.....Again until they play each other, we don't have a lot to go on. I have seen both and Luray has enough size to do some damage, whereas Buffalo Gap, at least that one night, seemed to have some injury issues, numbers problems, or something going on.

How close am I to what the rest of you are seeing?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT