ADVERTISEMENT

Sherando @ Kettle Run

Oct 6, 2017
Fauquier County
The roles for Sherando has switched this week.
Last week they were the team trying to match an opponent in Martinsburg to show that they can compete with arguably one of the best programs around. It was an offensive showcase with the Warriors coming up a little short.

Now This week they are the perennial 4C powerhouse who is playing a Kettle Run program that has grown over the past 3 years. KR has probably circled Millbrook and Sherando as a big targets on their schedule this year.

I feel the pressure is still on Sherando this week to make a statement that they can beat up the second best 4c team in the north and build a real case for a title run. They should win this game. They almost have too.

Kettle Run has the ability to be really competitive with any team in 4a if they could just figure out how to put a complete game together. As great of a season it’s been, I am disappointed that I haven’t seen these kids put it all together from start to finish. Maybe this game they can play 4 quarters against the Warriors since so much is on the line. At this time of year great programs figure out how to compete in big games.

I really hope to watch a good game tonight.

Reactions: Shruikan
Don't think it will be close, Sherando by a lot, Warriors don't have anything to prove except stopping Kettle Run on Defense, I'm sure that defense will come out pissed off tonight, all they needed was 3-4 stops last week against a very good Martinsburg team and they would've won, I know should've would've could've, and I hate Sherando, but I respect them, and this is their time. Hope they don't disappoint.

Reactions: Shruikan and OCBoy
I still think Woodgrove is the second best team in 4C but Kettle Run has a chance to change my mind tonight. Though I don't think Sherando will struggle to score on them, the defense has got to show that they can play with quality teams. I think they have the skill and the talent, just gotta get it done on the field.

I bet the Kettle Run faithful have had this game circled for a while now. Last year's contest could've been closer had it not been for a few key mistakes on their part during crucial situations.

Have a feeling it’s going to be a packed house tonight at Kettle Run.... don’t remember how their stands are... anyone have info?

Here's a photo I found on twitter of their away stands.

DpUtBpcUUAIkjDF.jpg:large

Have a feeling it’s going to be a packed house tonight at Kettle Run.... don’t remember how their stands are... anyone have info?
Visitor stands are relatively small but long. The home side is never full and the first section of the home side tends to be empty. Not sure anyone from Sherando wants to sit near the student section though...

Visitor stands are relatively small but long. The home side is never full and the first section of the home side tends to be empty. Not sure anyone from Sherando wants to sit near the student section though...
Where's your sense of adventure? Besides, you can hear the band better on the home side!

Reread the article from the Fauquier paper. 35-14 last year. 4 K.R turnovers - 2 inside the 10. Sherando scored on all 4 turnovers.

If Sherando shows up and takes K.R lightly could be interesting.

Martinsburg showed the formula - slow it down on offense-control clock. Force long drives.

K.R might have an O and D line as good as Martinsburg. It is experienced and big.
One thing Sherando has always had trouble with is a running QB.
Can K.R handle all that speed Sherando has ?
Will K.R not shoot themselves in the foot ?

Going with the upset - K.R 35-28

I have been pleasantly surprised that the Home Crowds have been better since the program is starting to be on the upswing.

K.R might have an O and D line as good as Martinsburg. It is experienced and big.
One thing Sherando has always had trouble with is a running QB.
Can K.R handle all that speed Sherando has ?
Will K.R not shoot themselves in the foot ?

Going with the upset - K.R 35-28

Best part of the Cougars is the big boys on the O line and the Defensive 6 ( 4 down line and 2 MLB). They all are very athletic big kids.

I couldn’t agree more with your questions!!

KR is limited with speed. Sherando is so fast.

And then penalties... My biggest concern. The only reason fauquier scored last week was because of 3 personal foul penalties in a row. Fauquier went from the 40 to the 3 yard line.

KR is weak on special teams.

If they pull out any upset over Sherando it will have to be a very very special gift from the football gods.

Warriors haven’t looked great tonight. Up 13-7 at half, but should be a bigger lead. Lots of mistakes and not a single penalty has been called on Kettle Run.

Reactions: OCBoy
Is it Mistakes or Kettle Run is playing well? The defensive scheme in the working pretty well for KRHS.

Let’s see what happens in the 2nd half.

Kettle Run played well, the mistakes I was referring to was Sherando going for the big plays rather than just playing tight defense on guys. One of Kettle Run's touchdowns passes flew right through the hands of a Sherando defender who was going for the interception instead of staying with the WR.

The Cougars are a solid ball club. I don't want to see them in the first or second round of the playoffs, that's for sure.

You guys feel there was mistakes because Sherando didn’t score at will and put up 50?? LOL

I really don’t think that Kettle Run is getting the credit they deserve as a team this season. The only team to score 3 offensive touchdowns in a game is Sherando. The Warriors running game was contained and If it wasn’t for Hunter Entsminger being a Magician at QB who knows what would have happened. I will say this Entsminger, is great.

Now that this game is done, Realistically I know that Kettle Run doesn’t have the offensive weapons to keep up with the elite in 4a playoffs. Sherando will be a really tough matchup for any team in Virginia if they can stay healthy. Playing back to back tough games can really grind down talent. Hopefully Sherando will be a great representation for 4C for a title run this year.

Reactions: OCBoy
You guys feel there was mistakes because Sherando didn’t score at will and put up 50?? LOL

I really don’t think that Kettle Run is getting the credit they deserve as a team this season. The only team to score 3 offensive touchdowns in a game is Sherando. The Warriors running game was contained and If it wasn’t for Hunter Entsminger being a Magician at QB who knows what would have happened. I will say this Entsminger, is great.

Now that this game is done, Realistically I know that Kettle Run doesn’t have the offensive weapons to keep up with the elite in 4a playoffs. Sherando will be a really tough matchup for any team in Virginia if they can stay healthy. Playing back to back tough games can really grind down talent. Hopefully Sherando will be a great representation for 4C for a title run this year.
I knew Kettle Run was going to be good when I seen the video of them playing Eastern View. Although EV didn’t play many of their first teamers it was evident Kettle Run was going to be good this year

I doubt Sherando would've scored 50 on Kettle Run even if they had played mistake free football. I'm saying that actively going for turnovers resulted in at least two huge plays for Kettle Run that might not have occurred if the defense had been playing tight rather than trying to cut off the ball en route to the receivers. That said, that same strategy also forced two turnovers, so it evens out roughly.

Kettle Run has a very solid team this year. They remind me a lot of the Woodgrove team that handled Sherando in the playoffs back in 2015. Not many huge playmakers but strong at most positions, big on the lines, and well-coached across the board. That can get you far in the playoffs. Had those two turnovers not gone in Sherando's favor (and there was a fumble on a punt return that the Warriors were fortunate to recover), it could've been a one score game.

Kettle Run shouldn't have any trouble handling Liberty and James Wood and still has a realistic chance of getting a 1 or 2 seed in the playoffs, especially if the Dulles teams keep beating each other up.

Kettle Run gets credit from me because they are better than last year and they did shine some in the game. But Sherando made many mistakes coaching wise and playing wise. Lots of potential turnovers, predictable play calling, and running Washington so much that he was making mistakes. The two touchdowns that Kettle Run scores were preventable, the first went right through the defender’s hands and the second was a blown coverage on a fourth down from a gassed Washington. I wasn’t undermining Kette Run’s play when I posted but rather criticizing Sherando’s. I’m sure Kettle Run will be a force come playoff time, but this was easily Sherando’s worst game.

Reactions: WarrentonCougar21
Great comments which I can realistically agree. Every underdog team needs a little luck to win against great teams. As you guys point out (and I agree), the cougars are just a good solid football team. To beat the best you have to play great and have some luck.

I did figure that after the Martinsburg game that Sherando must have been beat up with some injuries. From the Winchester paper post game article it appears that was true. After two weeks of tough teams, I hope the warriors can heal up before the playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT