ADVERTISEMENT

Should HUDL Sideline be legal?

Nov 26, 2018
I've been coaching a long time and we all know about the rule re: headsets. If one side doens't work, the other side must turn theirs off. This rule exists so one team doesn't have an advantage to talk to the guys upstairs about what they see.

How in the world can HUDL Sideline be legal? I just learned that Blacksburg gets to watch each play right after it happens on tablets and adjust their offense and defense accordingly. IMHO, this is a huge advantage over schools that don't have the resources to pay thousands of dollars for this computer system. I also heard they have a guy who does nothing but head up their computers and stuff. Yes, they are a good football team, but they also have a very unfair advantage against anyone they play. Even in the pros, they are only allowed pictures, not the actual play. They can also watch possessions at half time when the other team cannot.

Unless both schools can have access to this technology then neither should be able to have it.

Most teams have hudl accounts and ipads. This has been going on for 3-4 years. Have you not seen the telescopic cameras in the end zones. If you have been coaching a long time shouldn't you already know about this?????
Most have the end zone camera but do not have the sideline package which costs a couple grand more. That’s what he’s saying. Simply having hudl doesn’t give you access to the instant replay

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
Can't wait till a team decides to fly a drone over the field to get up close and personal with all plays. Its coming.
Lol, that could be true, but if it crashed and landed on someone there would be law suits galore. I wanted to do a video of our field with the stands full and due to the liability was not allowed.

Reactions: OCBoy
I've been coaching a long time and we all know about the rule re: headsets. If one side doens't work, the other side must turn theirs off. This rule exists so one team doesn't have an advantage to talk to the guys upstairs about what they see.

How in the world can HUDL Sideline be legal? I just learned that Blacksburg gets to watch each play right after it happens on tablets and adjust their offense and defense accordingly. IMHO, this is a huge advantage over schools that don't have the resources to pay thousands of dollars for this computer system. I also heard they have a guy who does nothing but head up their computers and stuff. Yes, they are a good football team, but they also have a very unfair advantage against anyone they play. Even in the pros, they are only allowed pictures, not the actual play. They can also watch possessions at half time when the other team cannot.

Unless both schools can have access to this technology then neither should be able to have it.
Well you are an uninformed coach. Bad look on the profession. Know better, do better.

Can't wait till a team decides to fly a drone over the field to get up close and personal with all plays. Its coming.
I

This is not anything new or uncommon. I know JF, Heritage, GW, Glass, Amherst, Appomattox, Salem, Pulaski, and others have this exact set up. It's a beautiful thing.

Against VHSL rules
Surprised that the vhsl is ahead of the curve. I was wondering if the vhsl has also banned the use of tethered cameras that follow the action. They are used in NFL and college games. Probably are too costly for High school teams, plus most stadiums wouldn't accommodate them.

Well you are an uninformed coach. Bad look on the profession. Know better, do better.
I doubt this person is a coach, no way they wouldn’t know about this technology that has been out for several years.

If you notice, the person that created this thread just joined yesterday and hasn't responded to any comments.

I'm going to guess that this person is a Woodgrove fan and Woodgrove must not have Hudl Sideline. LOL :D

I doubt this person is a coach, no way they wouldn’t know about this technology that has been out for several years.
Could be from a really small school in deep SW Virginia. He specifically brought up Blacksburg so I thought he could be from the Lynchburg (Glass) or Northern Va (Woodgrove) area but I'm pretty sure they would pretty much all have this already available to them.

The two likes on his comment came from Marshall-Dillon and OCBoy. If I remember correctly OCBoy is a northern VA person so this could be coming from Woodgrove's perspective. I would just be shocked with the money in the school systems up there if they didn't have this.

Reactions: catchtds
Could be from a really small school in deep SW Virginia. He specifically brought up Blacksburg so I thought he could be from the Lynchburg (Glass) or Northern Va (Woodgrove) area but I'm pretty sure they would pretty much all have this already available to them.

The two likes on his comment came from Marshall-Dillon and OCBoy. If I remember correctly OCBoy is a northern VA person so this could be coming from Woodgrove's perspective. I would just be shocked with the money in the school systems up there if they didn't have this.
Definitely not a Glass fan or at least not a real fan. If they were, they would know that Glass has had Hudl Sideline for several years now.

I'm going to guess that this person is a Woodgrove fan and Woodgrove must not have Hudl Sideline. LOL :D

Woodgrove has it. A few years ago when we lost to them in playoffs they used it. Their coach was talking it up like it was a game changer and any school that didn't have it would be negatively effected. We didn't have it at that point. You'd be a fool as a coach, not to do anything in your power to get it. Rashard Davis, CHS & JMU alum, Raiders practice squad member. He donated the funds for us to get it this summer. We just got it in October. It's a game changer for sure.

The pros don't use still photos any more. There is also no such rule in high school about head sets anymore - that was when they were hard wired now they are all wireless and you control whether or not your own equipment works.

Reactions: VolNation85
The pros don't use still photos any more. There is also no such rule in high school about head sets anymore - that was when they were hard wired now they are all wireless and you control whether or not your own equipment works.
Amazing because I’m the playoffs two weeks ago King’s Fork headsets went out and they wanted LT to turn theirs off. Game was delayed for like 10 minutes while they figured it out.

So what is the rule ? OR?! No rule? Where is VHSL helper
Referee said it was the rule still. It sounds like it’s like the other rules open to interpretation and if you get caught breaking it you can claim ignorance. There’s no running clock in the playoffs yet there are games and referees that run the clock. The new basketball mercy rule I’ve seen so far this basketball season enforced two different ways by officials. I think personally the officials are not enforcing rules uniformly.

HUDL Sideline isn't the only set up either... There's XOS, which a lot of colleges use, there's Edge, and Echo 1612 just to name a few of the more popular set ups. To think that this would be illegal is naive and perhaps behind the times, unless he's coaching JV or some level below. Also, the person who mentioned Woodgrove made me chuckle! I was thinking... "A Loudoun County school NOT having the funds to cover this?" Good one! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Referee said it was the rule still. It sounds like it’s like the other rules open to interpretation and if you get caught breaking it you can claim ignorance. There’s no running clock in the playoffs yet there are games and referees that run the clock. The new basketball mercy rule I’ve seen so far this basketball season enforced two different ways by officials. I think personally the officials are not enforcing rules uniformly.
Referees interpret the rules differently in all high school sports. It's comical at times. I quit going to any high school lacrosse games. There's no rhyme or reason to the rules and how the refs call the games. In football, the running clock comes in to play in many games. Rarely do you see any 2 teams of refs institute it in the same manner.

HUDL Sideline isn't the only set up either... There's XOS, which a lot of colleges use, there's Edge, and Echo 1612 just to name a few of the more popular set ups. To think that this would be illegal is naive and perhaps behind the times, unless he's coaching JV or some level below. Also, the person who mentioned Woodgrove made me chuckle! I was thinking... "A Loudoun County school NOT having the funds to cover this?" Good one! :rolleyes::rolleyes:
That was me that mentioned Woodgrove maybe not having it but it was definitely a poke at the orginial poster. I'm very familiar with Loudoun County and the access to money there.

I

This is not anything new or uncommon. I know JF, Heritage, GW, Glass, Amherst, Appomattox, Salem, Pulaski, and others have this exact set up. It's a beautiful thing.
Now Amherst is using YouTube live.

Against VHSL rules, did see Benedictine's middle school team use one in a game against KG middle a couple of years ago. Can't use it at the high school level though

I was referred to this thread from my usual perch on the Ask the Officials thread.

1. There is No rule about headsets requiring a team to turn theirs off if the other team's don't work. That's an NFL rule. It has no bearing in high school.

From the Case Book:
1.6.1 SITUATION B:

During the game, the coach of Team B reports to the referee that (a) his wireless access has been interrupted and that he cannot use the software package he normally uses to record in-game details, or (b) Team B's headphones are not working.

RULING: In (a) and (b), whether or not the headphones are working on either side does not come under the authority of the game officials, unless directed by the state association. (Virginia has no such state directions)

2. The rules allow coaches to use video on the sideline all they want. They cannot show it to players who are between the 9 yard marks on the field and they cannot show it to officials.

The only reason a coach would want to show it to officials would be to challenge a call or to point out a mistake. This used to be spelled out as unsportsmanlike conduct when use of electronics during the game was banned. Now that electronics are allowed, it's still unsportsmanlike conduct to show it to an official, it just falls into other categories.

3. Flying a drone over a stadium is not only against VHSL Rule, it's against FEDERAL LAW. The FAA allows drone use in this situation by licensed (FAA Part 107 license holders) over closed practices or such places where the public is not gathered and it is assumed that all participants understand and accept any risks. A public gathering like a game is a NO FLY ZONE. The fine is $10,000. Chances are small anyone would be prosecuted, but if a drone comes down and injures someone, federal prison will be waiting for the operator.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT