ADVERTISEMENT

State championship: set up this year

BoKnowsSports

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 19, 2021
Broad Run/Varina will be the money maker this year, as the 4A game normally is. Game will be played at 12 while the game you could probably watch in Brookville’s stadium and still won’t be 3/4 full will be the nightcap. Can’t imagine but a handful outside of LCA’s fan base will be there to watch LCA. I remember them filling up the old Liberty stadium before expansion but don’t see that kind of support happening any more. Just thinking out loud.

Reactions: mmqp 5.0
Broad Run/Varina will be the money maker this year, as the 4A game normally is. Game will be played at 12 while the game you could probably watch in Brookville’s stadium and still won’t be 3/4 full will be the nightcap. Can’t imagine but a handful outside of LCA’s fan base will be there to watch LCA. I remember them filling up the old Liberty stadium before expansion but don’t see that kind of support happening any more. Just thinking out loud.
Won't be many at that game

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Won't be many at that game
Phoebus doesn’t travel well and everybody in the Lynchburg area that isn’t associated with LCA is hoping they lose big. Really wish they would’ve left the bigger schools to play the last game.

Are you saying the LCA game will not be played at Williams Stadium?

The 757 will turn out big, big for both games @ ODU.. First, it's a very nice, new facility. ODU actually has some kids committed to play for them on these teams, so ODU fans will also attend.. It's possible this place will be packed..

Despite the long drive (I don't envy that trip) Northern VA HS teams do load up their Luxury, Coach Buses & their $$$$ with them.. The local economy will see a siginicant bump in restaurant & overnight travelers, too. The proximity to the Ghent foody experience is 100x better than what is available over in Hampton, too.

But, If things were flipped to get 757 up in the 703, it wouldn't go down the same way, I can assure you!!

Trying to think what location will have the best two games. Anyone reckon it will be Liberty? I'm thinking Salem will have a couple of good ones as well.
Liberty. I don’t expect much of an atmosphere for that second game. Phoebus may have a few hundred fans. That Graham/King William game is probably going to be the best game of all the games.

@oldfool2 it’ll be played at LU.

Phoebus doesn’t travel well and everybody in the Lynchburg area that isn’t associated with LCA is hoping they lose big. Really wish they would’ve left the bigger schools to play the last game.
I don’t know that any Hampton Roads team travels well , Phoebus, LT, Lafayette, etc. I don’t know why, just is.

Back in 2018 i attended the Phoebus vs Heritage game. LU stadium is pretty large so looking at crowds on both sides i think Phoebus represented better. Not sure but due to LCA at LU i think it will be hard for LCA fans to not outnumber Phoebus fans atleast 4 to 1. If LCA wins that will only make the discussions worse about if they should be in the vhsl and playing in class 3. However, if LCA does not win then that may cause some people to have to eat crow as their argument just got flat thrown out. The good news is i have a secret recipe for cooking crow and use it often!!

I can tell you that Phoebus will have plenty of fans there from the Lynchburg area and every single one of them hoping Phoebus runs LCA out of their own stadium lol. People have been talking about this matchup all season and I sure hope it lives up to the hype.

The 757 will turn out big, big for both games @ ODU.. First, it's a very nice, new facility. ODU actually has some kids committed to play for them on these teams, so ODU fans will also attend.. It's possible this place will be packed..

Despite the long drive (I don't envy that trip) Northern VA HS teams do load up their Luxury, Coach Buses & their $$$$ with them.. The local economy will see a siginicant bump in restaurant & overnight travelers, too. The proximity to the Ghent foody experience is 100x better than what is available over in Hampton, too.

But, If things were flipped to get 757 up in the 703, it wouldn't go down the same way, I can assure you!!
Broad Run road down in school busses the day before game.

Back in 2018 i attended the Phoebus vs Heritage game. LU stadium is pretty large so looking at crowds on both sides i think Phoebus represented better. Not sure but due to LCA at LU i think it will be hard for LCA fans to not outnumber Phoebus fans atleast 4 to 1. If LCA wins that will only make the discussions worse about if they should be in the vhsl and playing in class 3. However, if LCA does not win then that may cause some people to have to eat crow as their argument just got flat thrown out. The good news is i have a secret recipe for cooking crow and use it often!!
I have said all along that they should not be C3

VHSL only had to setup a competing, private/open division.. Then leave them in it as the stand alone team left to look for teams to join or find their own schedule to play!!! So LCA would be the Champions of their own league every year.. Who cares, go sit in the corner & be quiet type stuff!!

IF other schools wanted to join the league fine, if not, fine.. They made their bed so.....

VHSL only had to setup a competing, private/open division.. Then leave them in it as the stand alone team left to look for teams to join or find their own schedule to play!!! So LCA would be the Champions of their own league every year.. Who cares, go sit in the corner & be quiet type stuff!!

IF other schools wanted to join the league fine, if not, fine.. They made their bed so.....
I think the court may care...

Reactions: 757FridayNiteZ
FF3o_lWX0A4J-ut

Or try to work out a deal with VISAA to bring high school sports under one governing body. But that would actually require leadership and the VHSL doesn't do that sorta thing.

Or try to work out a deal with VISAA to bring high school sports under one governing body. But that would actually require leadership and the VHSL doesn't do that sorta thing.
when the ruling came down the other private schools made it clear that they were NOT interested in joining the VHSL. in all the years since the ruling none of them have joined.

I can tell you that Phoebus will have plenty of fans there from the Lynchburg area and every single one of them hoping Phoebus runs LCA out of their own stadium lol. People have been talking about this matchup all season and I sure hope it lives up to the hype.
Yep I I know Amherst and Brookville fans will not be cheering for LCA. The Seminole is not a fan of LCA.

Reactions: tommythecpa
Just weird to have the money making game the first game of the day. Varina/Broad Run will have thousands of people on each side and so will Graham/King William. The 757 will be packed regardless.

Just weird to have the money making game the first game of the day. Varina/Broad Run will have thousands of people on each side and so will Graham/King William. The 757 will be packed regardless.
Wonder if the home team will win this yr. The home team hasn't won in C4 since Dinwiddie did. I know LT was technically the home team in 14 but they were all n the visitors side

I have said all along that they should not be C3
They have to be C3 based on their student enrollment numbers from the last cycle. In fact, LCA is the smallest C3 school in VHSL as of now. In fact, as of march 2020, have less students than C2 King William, Poquoson, Richlands and Central-Woodstock.

Last edited:
Yep I I know Amherst and Brookville fans will not be cheering for LCA. The Seminole is not a fan of LCA.
Seminole in terms of fans are not. Especially Brookville and Amherst(most supportive fanbases in the Seminole). Bradley does not like them.

As an EC Glass supporter and a Lynchburg guy, I'll be rooting for LCA to win this one.

They have to be C3 based on their student enrollment numbers from the last cycle. In fact, LCA is the smallest C3 school in VHSL as of now. In fact, as of march 2020, have less students than C2 King William, Poquoson, Richlands and Central-Woodstock.
It's not about enrollment for me. You can have 200 students but if you get to pick your players from Glass and Heritage it doesn't matter.

It's not about enrollment for me. You can have 200 students but if you get to pick your players from Glass and Heritage it doesn't matter.
I understand your sentiment but they don't get many transfers from Glass or Heritage. There has only been 1 varsity starter transfer to LCA from Heritage or Glass since they have been in VHSL. They get more from JF than anywhere because families in JF district have the socioeconomic status to send their child to LCA more so than Heritage and Glass families. In fact, several of their starters live in Forest. But I get it, they shouldn't be allowed in VHSL at all.

Seminole in terms of fans are not. Especially Brookville and Amherst(most supportive fanbases in the Seminole). Bradley does not like them.

As an EC Glass supporter and a Lynchburg guy, I'll be rooting for LCA to win this one.
I know most coaches and fans are not fans of them.

I understand your sentiment but they don't get many transfers from Glass or Heritage. There has only been 1 varsity starter transfer to LCA from Heritage or Glass since they have been in VHSL. They get more from JF than anywhere because families in JF district have the socioeconomic status to send their child to LCA more so than Heritage and Glass families. But I get it, they shouldn't be allowed in VHSL at all.
Its just not fair at all, they are a private school and should stay a private school. I doubt they will have many rooting for them from this area. Will they win, probably.

Reactions: VolNation85
I’m sure this has been covered many times previously but I only became involved in Class 4 about 6 years ago. Is Liberty Christian given a designated geographic zone? Thought I had heard that but can’t recall.

They started with a school population multiplier, right? Do they still have to “punch up” like that?

I’m sure this has been covered many times previously but I only became involved in Class 4 about 6 years ago. Is Liberty Christian given a designated geographic zone? Thought I had heard that but can’t recall.

They started with a school population multiplier, right? Do they still have to “punch up” like that?
When they first joined(sued into) the VHSL, They claimed the Heritage and EC Glass school zones and had to add a 1.5 multiplier to their enrollment, which initally placed them into Class 3. They eventually dropped the EC Glass zone to remove the multiplier, and now they are Class 3.

I understand your sentiment but they don't get many transfers from Glass or Heritage. There has only been 1 varsity starter transfer to LCA from Heritage or Glass since they have been in VHSL. They get more from JF than anywhere because families in JF district have the socioeconomic status to send their child to LCA more so than Heritage and Glass families. In fact, several of their starters live in Forest. But I get it, they shouldn't be allowed in VHSL at all.
I have heard several students transferred from JF. I did not mention that because I didn't know how factual it was. I know that kids are able to go to LCA if they want if they live in the glass and Heritage zones. So in reality it's their zone too. It's basically saying you can go to either school with no transfer issues

I have heard several students transferred from JF. I did not mention that because I didn't know how factual it was. I know that kids are able to go to LCA if they want if they live in the glass and Heritage zones. So in reality it's their zone too. It's basically saying you can go to either school with n You can go to LCA
Students can live in Glass zone or any other zone and go to LCA but they are not eligible for sports. Only LCA students that "live" in the HHS/LCA split zone are eligible for sports. Students that live in Forest and go to LCA aren't supposed to be eligible for sports but apparently they are still playing. I am 100% certain on these topics.

Last edited:
Problem is they still live in Forest but rent empty apartments in the LCA/Glass zone to us as an address to be eligible to play sports.
There is talk of Brookville QB McDaniel and top receiver Robey who was out hurt most of the season transferring to LCA for their senior season next year. If that happens, LCA doesn't miss a beat next season.

Students can live in Glass zone or any other zone and go to LCA but they are not eligible for sports. Only LCA students that "live" in the HHS/LCA split zone are eligible for sports. Students that live in Forest and go to LCA aren't supposed to be eligible for sports but apparently they are still playing. I am 100% certain on these topics.
I've heard they are playing. They need to be called on it if that's case.

If they do, they should not be allowed to play if that was the rule set by VHSL

when the ruling came down the other private schools made it clear that they were NOT interested in joining the VHSL. in all the years since the ruling none of them have joined.
The private schools like to make their own rules and have no interest in joining the VHSL and theoretically having to follow the same rules as the pubic schools. Things like recruiting and reclassification are their lifeblood in many instances. Private high schools are just like ;private colleges in that they use athletics to pay the bills and raise their name recognition.

I've heard they are playing. They need to be called on it if that's case.
There's nothing that can be done about it. As long as they have an address with the required zone, they are eligible. It's a loop hole that every school benefits from. I would willing to bet that every school in VHSL has at least one player that doesn't physically reside within the attendance zone of the school they are playing for. Not saying it's ok but it's nothing that can really be done about it.

There is talk of Brookville QB McDaniel and top receiver Robey who was out hurt most of the season transferring to LCA for their senior season next year. If that happens, LCA doesn't miss a beat next season.
LCA will miss a beat next year because they lose Womack, Rice, Lane, Stowers, and Belford. McDaniel is a good ball player but he's not Davis Lane at QB.

Reactions: lyhsports
LCA will miss a beat next year because they lose Womack, Rice, Lane, Stowers, and Belford. McDaniel is a good ball player but he's not Davis Lane at QB.
I'm sorry but with Frank Rocco coaching him you won't see a huge difference. Only difference is Lane is much faster.

I thought the rule was you had to physically move and reside in that new resident not just pay rent for empty space

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT