ADVERTISEMENT

State Semi Final EC Glass vs. Kettle Run

Who wins and why?

• EC Glass - Region D

Votes: 35 77.8%
  • Kettle Run - Region C

Votes: 10 22.2%

• Total voters
In the last 4 years I've been on this forum, IMO it's true. In 2018, IMO, Loudoun County had hands down the best passing attack in 4C. I wish they could have played somebody good instead of Woodgrove (their only 2 losses).
Maybe KR can get the big win this weekend. Or maybe they are benefiting from the traditional powers finally having down yrs. That Loudoun Co passing game may have been the best in 4A but that doesn't mean your a good or great team. Probably would have lost to Blacksburg that yr too.
You need to get more posters on the forum from 4C. To help boaster the region. I am one of the few who actually keeps up with the region throughout the yr. From what I observed I predicted a Loudoun Co vs Tuscarora final in like week 4. I had half of it right. Then I had LC winning a close game. Would have gone to OT but I like the call the coach did. Looking for a good game Saturday. Maybe KR can bring some respect to 4C.

Broad Run was part of 4C, it doesn't matter if they came down from Class 5 or not. Is Varina not part of Region 4B because they came down? I watched the Salem/BR game. You can't use the 4th and 13 play to make it seem like Region D was better. Salem had their share of big plays. They definitely had nothing on Broad Run, very equal teams. Broad Run won so Region C beat Region D period! Broad Run did not run through Loudoun County, they won by 5 in the playoffs. On the other hand Salem beat everyone in Region D by at least 34 points in the playoffs, so again Region C was deeper. Yes in 2018 Woodgrove beat a very good Blacksburg team in OT, but on this forum 85% of the people picked Blacksburg to win and all by 2-3 TDs. The same thing happened in the finals with a great Lake Taylor team, we were super underdogs. These weren't upsets, we were underrated and they were over rated, Shurakin was the only poster who had an idea how good Woodgrove was on these forums. The last 4 years Region C has been better and deeper IMO. Before that Region D was better. Looking forward to Glass and Kettle Run, hopefully it will be a tight win for Region C.
Oh so we just going to ignore the fact that BR beat Loudoun Co 35-3 just 3 weeks prior? Then beat Sherando 41-13. Yes LC played BR close the second time but they still lost both games. BR then beat Tuscarora a second time 35-0. Salem was winning the game at the time. Dropped ball and BR loses. They made the play and won the game. Then Varina controlled them in the title game. BR made a late run but they weren't winning that game.
We can't pick one score and say the region was overall better. Especially when the same team whipped them by 32 the first time they played 😂

Maybe KR can get the big win this weekend. Or maybe they are benefiting from the traditional powers finally having down yrs. That Loudoun Co passing game may have been the best in 4A but that doesn't mean your a good or great team. Probably would have lost to Blacksburg that yr too.
You need to get more posters on the forum from 4C. To help boaster the region. I am one of the few who actually keeps up with the region throughout the yr. From what I observed I predicted a Loudoun Co vs Tuscarora final in like week 4. I had half of it right. Then I had LC winning a close game. Would have gone to OT but I like the call the coach did. Looking for a good game Saturday. Maybe KR can bring some respect to 4C.
Tuscarora's loss to Millbrook was a big surprise as was Sherando over Loudoun Valley. The Northwest was better than the Dulles district this year. I'm sure Glass is very good this year. What surprised me in the Kettle Run/Loudoun County game was Jackson Snyder of LC (Defensive Player of the Year in 4C). Seen him play several times over the last 2 years, absolute beast, if he gets his hands on you you're going down period! 3 times he had Kettle Runs QB Chumley totally in his grasp at the 3-4 yard line and couldn't keep him out of the end zone. Tapscott KRs WR is gifted, what moves. If Snyder didn't run back and tackle him while he was breaking ankles with his moves Tapscott might of had a few long TDs. Hopefully this game will be televised/streamed.

Reactions: SFUWO
Oh so we just going to ignore the fact that BR beat Loudoun Co 35-3 just 3 weeks prior? Then beat Sherando 41-13. Yes LC played BR close the second time but they still lost both games. BR then beat Tuscarora a second time 35-0. Salem was winning the game at the time. Dropped ball and BR loses. They made the play and won the game. Then Varina controlled them in the title game. BR made a late run but they weren't winning that game.
We can't pick one score and say the region was overall better. Especially when the same team whipped them by 32 the first time they played 😂
I agree you can't look at one game. Just saying Broad Run didn't walk through the playoffs like Salem did, you brought that up as if it meant something. Yes Region B Final last year and this year was probably the State Championship games. Over the last 4 years Region C has beaten Region D 3 times, just the facts. Before that Region D was obviously better.

Tuscarora's loss to Millbrook was a big surprise as was Sherando over Loudoun Valley. The Northwest was better than the Dulles district this year. I'm sure Glass is very good this year. What surprised me in the Kettle Run/Loudoun County game was Jackson Snyder of LC (Defensive Player of the Year in 4C). Seen him play several times over the last 2 years, absolute beast, if he gets his hands on you you're going down period! 3 times he had Kettle Runs QB Chumley totally in his grasp at the 3-4 yard line and couldn't keep him out of the end zone. Tapscott KRs WR is gifted, what moves. If Snyder didn't run back and tackle him while he was breaking ankles with his moves Tapscott might of had a few long TDs. Hopefully this game will be televised/streamed.
Glass can be their own enemy with fumbles and personal fouls. They can play power ball like they did last week because they have plenty of size. That's one thing Salem didn't have this yr. They can also spread the field out. The QB is more than capable slinging it around. They struggled with the pass vs Halifax. Halifax threw the ball the entire game. It will be interesting to. I believe it will be on NFHS this week

Tuscaroras loss is a good example that you can have a bad game on any given Friday. Do I think Millbrook iwas better? No. I would say Tuscarora would win if they played again

I will try to give my recent history of the Kettle Run program.

Kettle run has been building this specific team for the last 4 years. They have an excellent coaching staff lead by Charlie Portfield. Charlie is probably one of the best head coaches in NOVA but hasn’t had any big lights on him. He took over the KR program over in 2016 (?) When KR were the doormats of the NW division. My son actually refused to play his freshman year until Charlie came in to take over. Charlie also recruited Brud Bicknell a few years ago to be his assistant coach when Brud retired from Patriot High School as their Head Coach. Brud built a solid 6A program from zero to an annual playoff team in NOVA before retiring as HC.

2018 was a break through year for Coach Porterfield with his first graduating Senior class finally winning big against the historic teams of 4C (Liberty, Millbrook, Loudon Valley, etc.)

They had a rebuild year in 2019 after losing the seniors.

The team now is the 3 time Repeat Northwest Div champs. You can say the teams are weak but The foundation was set and now the culture is to win. Yes they have run into trouble in the playoffs since 2018, but my opinion is that I think that has made them a stronger senior class this year knowing how hard it is to win in the playoffs.

Just some of my own experiences with in the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: lyhsports
Here is another odd fact. The winning years of KR have come with the “Brothers Chumley” at QB.

First was Cason Chumley who broke all the KR career passing records in 2017 season. Got KR into the last spot of the playoffs for the first time in a long time.

Then it was Gabe Chumley who was tough 2 way player that carried the team to the Semi Finals of C in 2018. KR lost to Sherando on a cold and snowy field at Shenandoah University. Next Round Sherando lost to Eventual 4A champion Woodgrove.

2022, Now it’s the youngest brother Abrahm Chumley. He is actually tearing up yards this year. The kid has a mean streak in him to win. I think He is the toughest one yet.

Reactions: lyhsports
I agree you can't look at one game. Just saying Broad Run didn't walk through the playoffs like Salem did, you brought that up as if it meant something. Yes Region B Final last year and this year was probably the State Championship games. Over the last 4 years Region C has beaten Region D 3 times, just the facts. Before that Region D was obviously better.
I liked the old playoffs where everyone was ranked solely off power points and the regions were mixed up. That would be a better view of the teams because then they were all playing each other.

Reactions: wolverinedad2018
Here is another odd fact. The winning years of KR have come with the “Brothers Chumley” at QB.

First was Cason Chumley who broke all the KR career passing records in 2017 season. Got KR into the last spot of the playoffs for the first time in a long time.

Then it was Gabe Chumley who was tough 2 way player that carried the team to the Semi Finals of C in 2018. KR lost to Sherando on a cold and snowy field at Shenandoah University. Next Round Sherando lost to Eventual 4A champion Woodgrove.

2022, Now it’s the youngest brother Abrahm Chumley. He is actually tearing up yards this year. The kid has a mean streak in him to win. I think He is the toughest one yet.
Dont forget about Elijah Chumley. During the covid season he led Kettle Run to a district title. Then they had Beau Lang star for them last year. Been a really good run of great QB play under coach Porterfield.

Also, Coach Bicknell is most known for his incredible program at Monticello. Fantastic coach. The Kettle Run staff is loaded with really great coaches.

Region D is over rated and Region C under rated since the Salem dynasty ended. Region C is now 4-1 in the last 5 years. Are you a believer yet?
Nope. Because Salem's reign is not over, they just won title last yr in the spring and Region C still fails to win State Titles. Maybe they can win next week. If anyone has been underated all year that would be Kettle Run not Region C.

Broad Run was part of 4C, it doesn't matter if they came down from Class 5 or not. Is Varina not part of Region 4B because they came down? I watched the Salem/BR game. You can't use the 4th and 13 play to make it seem like Region D was better. Salem had their share of big plays. They definitely had nothing on Broad Run, very equal teams. Broad Run won so Region C beat Region D period! Broad Run did not run through Loudoun County, they won by 5 in the playoffs. On the other hand Salem beat everyone in Region D by at least 34 points in the playoffs, so again Region C was deeper. Yes in 2018 Woodgrove beat a very good Blacksburg team in OT, but on this forum 85% of the people picked Blacksburg to win and all by 2-3 TDs. The same thing happened in the finals with a great Lake Taylor team, we were super underdogs. These weren't upsets, we were underrated and they were over rated, Shurakin was the only poster who had an idea how good Woodgrove was on these forums. The last 4 years Region C has been better and deeper IMO. Before that Region D was better. Looking forward to Glass and Kettle Run, hopefully it will be a tight win for Region C.
I’m sorry, but you just don’t understand how much the defense dynamic changed that game for Salem, Not having Martindale and down a starting corner.. 1) Not having Martindale took away the (double) double team on Martindale and Williams, that alone changes a lot, now there’s no one to pick up the blitz, the end, etc, 2) 2 of Broadrun’s key TD’s were on the back up corner.. It is what it is, but Broad Run barely beat Salem, so your statement that Salem had nothing for them is a farce!! Salem wins that game, they beat Varuna in the stars that year, that defense matched up well against speed and spread teams!!

I’m sorry, but you just don’t understand how much the defense dynamic changed that game for Salem, Not having Martindale and down a starting corner.. 1) Not having Martindale took away the (double) double team on Martindale and Williams, that alone changes a lot, now there’s no one to pick up the blitz, the end, etc, 2) 2 of Broadrun’s key TD’s were on the back up corner.. It is what it is, but Broad Run barely beat Salem, so your statement that Salem had nothing for them is a farce!! Salem wins that game, they beat Varuna in the stars that year, that defense matched up well against speed and spread teams!!
I said Salem had nothing on Broad Run meaning they were equal teams, meaning either team could win on any given day. Spare me the injury excuses, very lame as it’s part of football. After Woodgrove beat Lake Taylor I heard all the if Javon Harvey didn’t get hurt talk. Javon Harvey was a beast but no one mentioned we were without our 1K yard rusher the year before due to a season ending injury and our best receiver played all year with a torn meniscus greatly limiting him. I’m sure Broad Run had their injuries but just didn’t make excuses. And the only farce is saying Salem would beat Varina.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
I said Salem had nothing on Broad Run meaning they were equal teams, meaning either team could win on any given day. Spare me the injury excuses, very lame as it’s part of football. After Woodgrove beat Lake Taylor I heard all the if Javon Harvey didn’t get hurt talk. Javon Harvey was a beast but no one mentioned we were without our 1K yard rusher the year before due to a season ending injury and our best receiver played all year with a torn meniscus greatly limiting him. I’m sure Broad Run had their injuries but just didn’t make excuses. And the only farce is saying Salem would beat Varina.
Injuries are a part of the game. Definitely wouldn't say Salem would have beaten Varina. Would have been another good game but Varina was the State Champion

I wasn’t making excuses, I was merely stating a fact in rebuttable to you saying Salem had nothing for Broad Run(as the way I took it). I get it, you just another Salem hater!! Good for Woodgrove beating Lake Taylor, even a blind squirrel finds a nut ever now and again…
I disagree, Salems defense was built to take on the speed backs that year.

Kettle Run Fans - Your coaches and team were great and handled themselves so well. Good luck this week!

Question...who was the 50 year old guy with a beard who went down to the endzone (scoreboard end) postgame to yell at 16 year-old students as they left the stadium?

Region D is over rated and Region C under rated since the Salem dynasty ended. Region C is now 4-1 in the last 5 years. Are you a believer yet?

I love when new fans join up just not knowing history. My dude, Salem's had a dynasty running for decades. You must think these cute little back-to-backs or 3peats some teams do because they get one gifted class of players is a dynasty? Salem's averaged ten wins a season for forty years. Region C teams in 2022 have 623 years of combined history, they have a total of 199 playoff wins and a 5-10 record in state title games (Salem is a bunch of those losses btw). Salem has 46 years of history, 81 playoff wins, and a 10-2 record in state title games. Salem hasn't had a sub-.500 season in forty years (take a guess how many programs that old can say the same). Salem didn't luck into one single coach that won them a bunch of games and the program went into the dumpster the second he left, they've won state with three different head whistles now. Since Salem was founded as a school (1977) no other program in the state has more wins or more titles. That's a dynasty.

Hells bells, they won state less than two years ago and you think because they didn't back-to-back the dynasty is over? Bless your heart.

Last edited:
I love when new fans join up just not knowing history. My dude, Salem's had a dynasty running for decades. You must think these cute little back-to-backs or 3peats some teams do because they get one gifted class of players is a dynasty? Salem's averaged ten wins a season for forty years. Region C teams in 2022 have 623 years of combined history, they have a total of 199 playoff wins and a 5-10 record in state title games (Salem is a bunch of those losses btw). Salem has 46 years of history, 81 playoff wins, and a 10-2 record in state title games. Salem hasn't had a sub-.500 season in forty years (take a guess how many programs that old can say the same). Salem didn't luck into one single coach that won them a bunch of games and the program went into the dumpster the second he left, they've won state with three different head whistles now. Since Salem was founded as a school (1977) no other program in the state has more wins or more titles. That's a dynasty.

Hells bells, they won state less than two years ago and you think because they didn't back-to-back the dynasty is over? Bless your heart.
A major reason why our win meant so much. To win the Region 4D title is one thing, to do it by beating Salem is another thing entirely. Respect!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT