ADVERTISEMENT

State Semi-Final Heritage vs. Christiansburg

Who wins and why?

• Heritage

Votes: 28 93.3%
  • Christiansburg

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
I don’t know much about Christiansburg, other than they are a wrestler’s mecca. I do know that the Coach and the program at Heritage are top notch and classy. And the son of one of the nicest gentlemen at the VHSL that you will ever meet, Ty Gifford, is on the Heritage team. So I’m pulling for the Pioneers.

I only saw Christiansburg when they scrimmaged LCA a few months ago. They’re a great football team. I just think that Heritage’s defense is special this year, and Hov Bateman, Heritage QB is playing lights out. Plus Lynchburg is riding high, and City Stadium will be turned up for a doubleheader next week!

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Cburg is big up front and want to pound you into the dirt. Former rb moved to qb earlier this year and he is a tough gritty runner. I got HHS winning it though.

Would say Heritage favored in this one. I know you can't always compare teams they have played but Radford beat Christiansburg and Appomattox beat Radford. Heritage beat Appomattox pretty good earlier this year and I think has played stiffer competition.

Heritage beat Appo pretty good on the score board but I think we handed them the ball like 6 times in that game. Appo just kept putting the ball on the ground and Heritage was obliged to take it and score. Lol

Heritage seems to be playing well and I was glad to see them beat LCA but that’s about where my pulling for them ends.

Brad Bradley. Nuff said. Love what Wilkes has done at Christiansburg but the Pioneers will have too much speed and firepower.

Reactions: lyhsports
Put it to you as simple as this: if Heritage thinks this will be a snooze, they will lose this game. If they come to play, focused, they will win. Cburg is bigger than Heritage but not as fast. Tanner probably has better intangibles than anyone on that field either side. If they can turn Tanner into a non-factor then Heritage will cruise defensively and they'll only need potentially a FG to win it but if they walk into that game and scoff at Cburg, they're going to roll Heritage just like they did to LB.

There is nothing about this Heritage team or a Bradley team that overlooks an opponent. I don't see them looking past Cburg. Cburg is big upfront but if HHS can make Tanner throw it and shutdown the run, I think the game is theirs.

Christiansburg has struggled with teams with good team speed and I think that trend will continue. I look for it to be somewhere in the 35-14 range. If Christiansburg can play keep away and grind out clock I could see a lower scoring 17-10 ball game both in favor of the Pioneers.

Reactions: catchtds
Christiansburg has struggled with teams with good team speed and I think that trend will continue. I look for it to be somewhere in the 35-14 range. If Christiansburg can play keep away and grind out clock I could see a lower scoring 17-10 ball game both in favor of the Pioneers.

I would be fairly surprised if Heritage scored 35, they do not have an elite offense and Cburg has a good defense. Your second score is much more realistic imo. This is going to be low scoring but the margin can be wide for Heritage if they can get a lid on Evans and keep it there.

This is why both teams are in serious trouble if they see Phoebus anyway. They're both too accustomed to getting by on just a little offense and getting points from Phoebus is like getting blood from a stone.

There is nothing about this Heritage team or a Bradley team that overlooks an opponent. I don't see them looking past Cburg. Cburg is big upfront but if HHS can make Tanner throw it and shutdown the run, I think the game is theirs.

I mean, that's a platitude at this point. Never seen a fan in my life say ahead of time a team is known for overlooking opponents and yet we all know it still happens. Players and coaches have egos, it's only natural. Whether that happens in this case is yet to be seen but show of hands who had Cburg by 4 scores last week? Now show of hands who would say Harless and LB overlooks opponents? Bingo.

I would be fairly surprised if Heritage scored 35, they do not have an elite offense and Cburg has a good defense. Your second score is much more realistic imo. This is going to be low scoring but the margin can be wide for Heritage if they can get a lid on Evans and keep it there.

This is why both teams are in serious trouble if they see Phoebus anyway. They're both too accustomed to getting by on just a little offense and getting points from Phoebus is like getting blood from a stone.

I mean, that's a platitude at this point. Never seen a fan in my life say ahead of time a team is known for overlooking opponents and yet we all know it still happens. Players and coaches have egos, it's only natural. Whether that happens in this case is yet to be seen but show of hands who had Cburg by 4 scores last week? Now show of hands who would say Harless and LB overlooks opponents? Bingo.
Right, a consistent thing with Harless and LB. Nothing I know, but my opinion he has always appeared arrogant in interviews and also has done less with more..imo. Probably because of what you stated.

I fully expect Cburg to be a handful for the Pioneers after seeing what they did to LB last week. In the end though I'm thinking the Pioneers team speed and athleticism will be a bit too much for Cburg. Should be a great game so I'll say Heritage 24-21.

I don’t know much about Christiansburg, other than they are a wrestler’s mecca. I do know that the Coach and the program at Heritage are top notch and classy. And the son of one of the nicest gentlemen at the VHSL that you will ever meet, Ty Gifford, is on the Heritage team. So I’m pulling for the Pioneers.
Heritage head coach and I have been friends since high school. Definitely pulling for Heritage. I think they get it done this week but will have their work cut out for them vs (more than likely) Phoebus

I’ve never met Coach Bradley, but his reputation as a person and a coach are top notch. I wish we were still playing them in the next cycle so I could get to know him.

When 70 wants to be, he’s the most dominate high school football player I’ve seen in a long time. I don’t understand how he’s not a power 5 prospect.

Heritage head coach and I have been friends since high school. Definitely pulling for Heritage. I think they get it done this week but will have their work cut out for them vs (more than likely) Phoebus
I have known Brad and knew his dad Larry for many years. Whether Heritage wins or loses it will not be due to taking any opponent lightly. It is just not in his make up, which as a friend I believe you can confirm. He is also familiar with Phoebus and has great respect for the athletes from that area having coached a number of them over the years in the VHSL all star game. Wilkens has done a great job at Christiansburg as well. These next two weeks is where it gets real for the remaining teams in all classes. While some winners may just have significantly more talent than their opponents all the gimmes and deadwood resulting from the current playoff format have now been cleared. Let the games begin.

I have known Brad and knew his dad Larry for many years. Whether Heritage wins or loses it will not be due to taking any opponent lightly. It is just not in his make up, which as a friend I believe you can confirm. He is also familiar with Phoebus and has great respect for the athletes from that area having coached a number of them over the years in the VHSL all star game. Wilkens has done a great job at Christiansburg as well. These next two weeks is where it gets real for the remaining teams in all classes. While some winners may just have significantly more talent than their opponents all the gimmes and deadwood resulting from the current playoff format have now been cleared. Let the games begin.
Larry was my coach back in the 80's. Wrestling and football

CBURG has gotten healthyish and changed some things that seem to free up the play makers on both sides of the ball. Buddy of mine has a kid on the team and their confidence has spiked the last few weeks. With that said... I would still go Heritage 28 CBURG 17.

Heritage certainly came to play. They'll need this energy and then some next week, Phoebus will be by far their toughest opponent since they played Dinwiddie.

Last edited:
Doesn't take Heritage much to be up for big games. They'll give Phoebus a game next week.
I doubt it lol it’ll be a game for the first quarter at the most maybe don’t read too much into this game. Heritage looks awesome but Christianburg looks like they don’t even belong in playoffs let alone state semis.

I doubt it lol Phoebus by 5 TDs atleast don’t read too much into this game. Heritage looks awesome but Christianburg looks like they don’t even belong in playoffs let alone state semis.
I agree that Chrisiansburg does not belong, but Heritage will have the game much closer. We got guys over here too.

I really hate it for the people who paid $10 and is braving the rain to watch this ass whipping. Teams that are still around this time of year are supposed to be good. Christiansburg is horrible.

Reactions: lyhsports
Heritage was very prepared, Christansburg couldn't do anything with em. I expect something somewhat closer, but Heritage passing game was way too much. Bradley probably leaving to go watch Phoebus film now. Heritage will be prepared.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT