ADVERTISEMENT

Stone Bridge @ Martinsburg

Apr 15, 2020
I’d imagine this is the biggest game in 5A this week. Martinsburg beat SB Freshies 34-12 and JV 13-8. Who will be winning the varsity matchup between these two?

I would think Martinsburg at home would be the favorite. Stone Bridge’s health right now is a concern this early in the season. Lost a top receiver for the year with a knee injury in their first scrimmage, along with a few other injuries in some key spots. I think we are in for a great game from 2 excellent programs.

Martinsburg enters with a record of 1-0 after defeating the #1 ranked HS team in Canada Clarkson North 35-7 last weekend in Ironton, OH. Stone Bridge enters with a record of 0-1 after losing at home (rare) in a close battle to 2022 State runner up 6A power James Madison 28-24. It will be the Martinsburg Spread offense vs The Stone Bridge Wing-T Offense. This will be the 2nd meeting between the 2 programs. The 1st meeting was in 2000 with Martinsburg winning 54-27. Looking forward to a very good game.

Last edited:
I’d imagine this is the biggest game in 5A this week. Martinsburg beat SB Freshies 34-12 and JV 13-8. Who will be winning the varsity matchup between these two?
Martinsburg must eliminate the penalties if they do that they will win a close game . if they continue to have too many penalties it will be a long night. Stone Bridge is too good not to capitalize on the penalties.

Wing-T plays right into Martinsburg’s best strength (DL). Football North’s entire OL has a D1 offer and they don’t play both ways. They couldn’t get their run game going until the second half

Here is some tape from Martinsburg’s game against Clarkson Football North. Don’t let the 7-35 final score fool you, this game was very competitive up until a big man pick six killed Clarkson’s momentum at the nine minute mark in the 4th quarter. Both squads committed a lot of penalties and I believe this game would’ve been closer had it been Week 5 and not Week 1.

I'm still disappointed Martinsburg canceled the game with Highland Springs this year I was looking forward to playing them this year. I enjoyed the road trip to Martinsburg last year. I hope they bring it back next year.

Martinsburg’s offense and defense lines completely dominated Stone Bridge. Also Martinsburg has athletes on both sides of the ball. Too fast, Too Physical. Shocking to seeStone Bridge manhandled like that.

It was 7-0 middle of the second quarter, Stone Bridge had the ball in Martinsburg territory, Martinsburg DB makes a nice play to break up what would have been a touchdown pass, Stone Bridge turned the ball over with a fumble on the next play and just folded after that.

SB looking at a 1-4 start and the QO and GC games could be ugly as well.

Martinsburg QB #2 throwing the ball a lot better than last year.

Reactions: Agibbs757
It was 7-0 middle of the second quarter, Stone Bridge had the ball in Martinsburg territory, Martinsburg DB makes a nice play to break up what would have been a touchdown pass, Stone Bridge turned the ball over with a fumble on the next play and just folded after that.

SB looking at a 1-4 start and the QO and GC games could be ugly as well.

Martinsburg QB #2 throwing the ball a lot better than last year.
Yeah looking like a rough start looking like they can't wait to get out of September

Martinsburg must eliminate the penalties if they do that they will win a close game . if they continue to have too many penalties it will be a long night. Stone Bridge is too good not to capitalize on the penalties.
Your line play was too good for them to just line up and run at you. Martinsburg will win most of their regular season games before halftime

I already was disappointed but it’s especially disappointing to know Martinsburg dropped Highland Springs after seeing their first two results this year. That was a weak move and while the Springers would probably still be too much, being scared to take one on the chin will probably cost Martinsburg home field in the playoffs.

Was a great atmosphere last night. In all my time as a martinsburg fan I can say the best and most fun games I’ve watched have been against VA teams. Really a shame we’re at a point now where this is the only one against a VHSL opponent. Instead we’ll host some parochial school from baltimore that I’ve never heard and won’t help us in our points system next week, then take on a DC public league team. And still only have 9. It’d be so much better for the game locally imo if we could fill those dates with a Tuscarora or Sherando or Brentsville. But you lose your right to complain about teams not wanting to play you when you turn around and drop a team like the springers because they might do to you what you do to others.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
From a Stone Bridge fan here, Martinsburg thoroughly dominated that game last night in all 3 phases. The line play on both sides was particularly overwhelming. Congrats on what appears to be a start to a possible title run. The place was packed and it was a great high school football atmosphere. I too would love to see this game continue for some time. For the record, that was the largest margin of defeat for Stone Bridge. Phoebus held the previous record in a 38-8 win in a state semi-final game in ‘08. That Phoebus team gave up 53 points in 15 games combined.

Reactions: CavsGrad
From a Stone Bridge fan here, Martinsburg thoroughly dominated that game last night in all 3 phases. The line play on both sides was particularly overwhelming. Congrats on what appears to be a start to a possible title run. The place was packed and it was a great high school football atmosphere. I too would love to see this game continue for some time. For the record, that was the largest margin of defeat for Stone Bridge. Phoebus held the previous record in a 38-8 win in a state semi-final game in ‘08. That Phoebus team gave up 53 points in 15 games combined.
Martinsburg returned everyone on the line from last year

I already was disappointed but it’s especially disappointing to know Martinsburg dropped Highland Springs after seeing their first two results this year. That was a weak move and while the Springers would probably still be too much, being scared to take one on the chin will probably cost Martinsburg home field in the playoffs.

Was a great atmosphere last night. In all my time as a martinsburg fan I can say the best and most fun games I’ve watched have been against VA teams. Really a shame we’re at a point now where this is the only one against a VHSL opponent. Instead we’ll host some parochial school from baltimore that I’ve never heard and won’t help us in our points system next week, then take on a DC public league team. And still only have 9. It’d be so much better for the game locally imo if we could fill those dates with a Tuscarora or Sherando or Brentsville. But you lose your right to complain about teams not wanting to play you when you turn around and drop a team like the springers because they might do to you what you do to others.
I don't think they were on the schedule for this season.

I don't think they were on the schedule for this season.
Originally they were. The M’burg coach contacted the HSHS coach and told him there was a scheduling conflict,so they had to drop the springs

Reactions: SFUWO
Let’s all hope that this series can be played every season. The only true rivalry game Martinsburg had was Sherando and it really wasn’t a rivalry. This would really be a true border rivalry game and it would benefit both programs as it would prepare them for their respective playoffs as both are perennial state title contenders. And they are close in proximity… Keep it on the schedule!!!

I know Martinsburg will come to Stone Bridge next season. Let’s hope the series continues for the foreseeable future after that contract concludes. That would be fantastic!!!

Agree BulldogSoccer, hopefully Stone Bridge can become Martinsburg’s next Sherando.

It’s only going to get harder for Martinsburg to schedule games, especially if you beat teams like Clarkson and Stone Bridge by 28 and 34 points, respectively. Coach Walker is going to have to take some of his own advice and “get comfortable being uncomfortable” because the only teams that can test Martinsburg at this point are teams that recruit a massive footprint and public schools with 2000+ students.

Reactions: BulldogSoccer
First time seeing Martinsburg in person. Really good team and defense. Their d-line was as good as advertised on here and they showed off their explosiveness in the 3rd quarter. Stone Bridge is a tough, well coached perennial power so it says a lot about Martinsburg being able to defeat them by 34 points. Kind of reminded me of how the Freedom/SB game went last year but even more dominant of a performance by Martinsburg this season.

Agree BulldogSoccer, hopefully Stone Bridge can become Martinsburg’s next Sherando.

It’s only going to get harder for Martinsburg to schedule games, especially if you beat teams like Clarkson and Stone Bridge by 28 and 34 points, respectively. Coach Walker is going to have to take some of his own advice and “get comfortable being uncomfortable” because the only teams that can test Martinsburg at this point are teams that recruit a massive footprint and public schools with 2000+ students.
100% Spot on!!! Playing the local teams does absolutely nothing for Martinsburg as they have not lost to an Eastern Panhandle school since 2007. Need some competition!!!

If you ever want to get humbled, give Cali a call. They'll set you straight, guaranteed.

I agree… Should have continued the series with HSHS. Had the opportunity defeat the #1 teams in Virginia Class 5A and 6A which would speak volumes!!!
Stonebridge was not the number 1 team in Class 5, Maury is. Plus Class 5 is weak this year. Class 4 is probably as competitive as Class 6. Varina went toe to toe with Freedom. Dinwiddie is really good as well as King George and Phoebus. All of those 4 teams in class 4 are much more athletic and explosive than Stonebridge. Maybe Martinsburg schedules Maury or some of those class 4 teams.

Stonebridge was not the number 1 team in Class 5, Maury is. Plus Class 5 is weak this year. Class 4 is probably as competitive as Class 6. Varina went toe to toe with Freedom. Dinwiddie is really good as well as King George and Phoebus. All of those 4 teams in class 4 are much more athletic and explosive than Stonebridge. Maybe Martinsburg schedules Maury or some of those class 4 teams.

Did the class 4 thing with big boy Salem and didn’t work out well for Salem. Would like to see more Class 5A/6A schools on the schedule. Martinsburg can complete with them all…I’m not saying they win them all but it would definitely be competitive!!! There really isn’t any in state competition for Martinsburg just stating a fact!!!

Did the class 4 thing with big boy Salem and didn’t work out well for Salem. Would like to see more Class 5A/6A schools on the schedule. Martinsburg can complete with them all…I’m not saying they win them all but it would definitely be competitive!!! There really isn’t any in state competition for Martinsburg just stating a fact!!!
I definitely would agree that Martinsburg would compete with plenty of the Class 5 and Class 6 in VA. I don't know too much about Salem but the 4 other Class 4 teams I mentioned are at the top of Class 4 and I believe it is the 2nd best class in VA, right behind Class 6. I know Martinsburg is near Maryland, you guys should look into scheduling some MD teams too like Quince Orchard or WISE, I think they would be able to get yall some comp and you wouldn't have to travel very far. I know Maury just wrecked Wise this past Friday. I hope yall put HSHS back on the schedule next year, it was some good comp and we didn't get a chance to break the tie breaker. Lol.

I definitely would agree that Martinsburg would compete with plenty of the Class 5 and Class 6 in VA. I don't know too much about Salem but the 4 other Class 4 teams I mentioned are at the top of Class 4 and I believe it is the 2nd best class in VA, right behind Class 6. I know Martinsburg is near Maryland, you guys should look into scheduling some MD teams too like Quince Orchard or WISE, I think they would be able to get yall some comp and you wouldn't have to travel very far. I know Maury just wrecked Wise this past Friday. I hope yall put HSHS back on the schedule next year, it was some good comp and we didn't get a chance to break the tie breaker. Lol.
For some unknown reason the The Maryland part of the DMV is reluctant to schedule Martinsburg. Would like to see it happen. Although Martinsburg is playing Boys Latin from the Baltimore area. Not considered a football power. Unfortunately you can only play those who agree to play.

Reactions: Thomasddev
None of those yrs that Salem played Martinsburg were they the top school in C4. Hell they never made it past the semifinals. How quickly you forget about that Highland Springs game from last yr.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT