ADVERTISEMENT

Surprise & Disappointment In 2018?

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
Who is the team in Class 3 that no one is talking about maybe we should be?

Who is the team in Class 3 that might disappoint in 2018?

Well, around our area Danny, nobody talks about Lord Botetourt, but they have a potential state champion team.

Locally, Hopewell might disappoint. When you are the reigning state champion, I guess anything less could be called a disappoint. Two competing factors are in play here. Hopewell graduated some tremendous talent, led by Cuffey. A lot of big shoes to replace. This is offset by truly one of the best coaches in C3, Coach Irby.

Well, around our area Danny, nobody talks about Lord Botetourt, but they have a potential state champion team.

Locally, Hopewell might disappoint. When you are the reigning state champion, I guess anything less could be called a disappoint. Two competing factors are in play here. Hopewell graduated some tremendous talent, led by Cuffey. A lot of big shoes to replace. This is offset by truly one of the best coaches in C3, Coach Irby.

Loss of Cuffey will be huge but don't count them out with Briggs running the rock. He is in store for big season.

I believe Northside will surprise a lot of folks. I believe that Fisher is a staple in that community and he genuinely loves those kids. They’ll play hard for him. Disappointment will be the Magna Vista Warriors. Kids gotta change their attitude in Ridgeway. Arrogance is catching up to them.

I believe Northside will surprise a lot of folks. I believe that Fisher is a staple in that community and he genuinely loves those kids. They’ll play hard for him. Disappointment will be the Magna Vista Warriors. Kids gotta change their attitude in Ridgeway. Arrogance is catching up to them.
I agree fully about MV. Coach Favero certainly knows how to coach. But he has his hands full with that bunch. And it seems to get worse every year.

We tried to get a game with them. Coach is interested, but he is trying to keep his games closer to home. I would love for it to work out. I've been wanting to go to a game in the "Hole" for years.

DSH, I'm not sure who travels first next year between us and GW. I think you travel to Dinwiddie first. And I think our N Stafford game will be at Dinwiddie too. When we fill the third game, I believe it will be away, if possible. That would give us an equal 5 home, 5 away. But nothing is for certain that far out. Heck, who knows, Dinwiddie may be Class 2 by then. (Other teams keep stealing our players)!

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Hopewell has a lot of young talent... I think they are solid for a 3a team. That new TB might even end up being better than Cuffey in a year or two. Plus they have another stud that was freshman last year but I forgot his name.

last year this guy from heritage talked a lot of trash about heritage winning the championship and all they had to do was show up and Hopewell won the game, I would be to sure don't count your chickens before they hatch.

If you make me pick only one team that I think can win the state, it has to be LB. But, two months before the season starts, making a pick like this is about like playing the lottery.

You always have to wonder about Phoebus. Always a top team, but their track record in the playoffs in recent years leaves me wondering if they can pull everything together enough to go all the way. And, they lost a ton to graduation.

Hopewell..., is Hopewell. I'm not sure they have the same level of talent in the stable to replace what they lost. But, to disregard Coach Irby is a foolish thing.

Heritage? I'm not drinking the kool-aid yet. I don't see James Monroe back in top form. Norcom, I'm afraid they need to rebuild.

Truthfully, I see very few surprises. The usual cast of characters make up the majority of the playoff teams, and only the tried and true teams left after round two of the playoffs.

last year this guy from heritage talked a lot of trash about heritage winning the championship and all they had to do was show up and Hopewell won the game, I would be to sure don't count your chickens before they hatch.
He was a Heritage fan..I’m not talking trash, I just find them being that good if Akers does indeed go there. LB, Northside and Heritage will have a say out west. Hopewell, Phoebus and maybe even a team like Tee Jay or Armstrong may surprise some people in the east.

He was a Heritage fan..I’m not talking trash, I just find them being that good if Akers does indeed go there. LB, Northside and Heritage will have a say out west. Hopewell, Phoebus and maybe even a team like Tee Jay or Armstrong may surprise some people in the east.
I would love to throw my hat in the ring with you, old friend, but Armstrong? As much as you and I wish for positive things for those kids, it would knock the earth off its axis if they were to win a playoff game.

If you make me pick only one team that I think can win the state, it has to be LB. But, two months before the season starts, making a pick like this is about like playing the lottery.

You always have to wonder about Phoebus. Always a top team, but their track record in the playoffs in recent years leaves me wondering if they can pull everything together enough to go all the way. And, they lost a ton to graduation.

Hopewell..., is Hopewell. I'm not sure they have the same level of talent in the stable to replace what they lost. But, to disregard Coach Irby is a foolish thing.

Heritage? I'm not drinking the kool-aid yet. I don't see James Monroe back in top form. Norcom, I'm afraid they need to rebuild.

Truthfully, I see very few surprises. The usual cast of characters make up the majority of the playoff teams, and only the tried and true teams left after round two of the playoffs.
I may have to take a sip of that Koolaid, DSH. I just saw the Virginia Preps "All Under-Class" picks. Heritage might be for real.

this is my top 5 in 3a [1] Brookville this is for the guy who thinks they can win it all.[ 2] lord Botetourt just because they are good[ 3] heritage also still good[ 4] phoebus just because their talented[ 5] Hopewell because no one thinks they can win it anyway, my sleeper is [ Petersburg.] and [ northside ]

Brookville is always know for having really good QB's. Someone please fill me in on that situation for the upcoming season. Thanks.

Brookville will be at Charlottesville's 7 on 7 today (weather permitting). It will be a little interesting to see who is their QB and how he does. I'm not sure if I'll get any names today, though, unless I talk to Coach Meeks or something.

I saw them a couple of weeks agom and it looked like Zack Mann(#12) was taking most of the reps. He looked good.

I heard Albemarle is having a 7 on 7 Thursday. Does anyone know any info about that one?

I would love to throw my hat in the ring with you, old friend, but Armstrong? As much as you and I wish for positive things for those kids, it would knock the earth off its axis if they were to win a playoff game.
I’m hearing big things. They play in the hardest district in the state so they’ll be ready come playoff time. Add that in to they are in the weakest region in the 3a..It’s not saying a lot for Armstrong to be a state semi team especially if JM is still down. It will def come down to Phoebus and Hopewell in the east.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I’m hearing big things. They play in the hardest district in the state so they’ll be ready come playoff time. Add that in to they are in the weakest region in the 3a..It’s not saying a lot for Armstrong to be a state semi team especially if JM is still down. It will def come down to Phoebus and Hopewell in the east.

I'm with you DSH... I don't know that Armstrong will reach the state semifinals mind you but they are going to be an improved team in year two under Coach Painter. I could see them as 4-6 team and with the points they get from playing district foes, they could end up with a high seed in the playoffs.

the problem with the Richmond schools are numbers most of them could be 2a schools but that would be a travel problem tj , Armstrong, jm and gw.I thank all of them are around 700 students or just over.

the problem with the Richmond schools are numbers most of them could be 2a schools but that would be a travel problem tj , Armstrong, jm and gw.I thank all of them are around 700 students or just over.

It will never happen but imagine if you were to merge Huguenot & George Wythe for the Southside and John Marshall/Armstrong/TJ for the Northside. Two city schools for each side of the river. Would make for stronger programs athletically.

They did something similar from 1979 to 1985 but I'm referring to build two new schools entirely to replace five.

It will never happen but imagine if you were to merge Huguenot & George Wythe for the Southside and John Marshall/Armstrong/TJ for the Northside. Two city schools for each side of the river. Would make for stronger programs athletically.

They did something similar from 1979 to 1985 but I'm referring to build two new schools entirely to replace five.
Would be super nice. Sadly, there’s many gangs.

Would be super nice. Sadly, there’s many gangs.

Agreed. That would be a huge problem but I think it would only be an issue in the beginning. I believe there were some issues when Armstrong and JFK merged too. That said, we know it will never happen because it would make too much sense from a dollar and cents standpoint for the City of Richmond.

I remember the earlier merger. I was long out of schools, but I still remember it being a screwed up deal.

And I agree, Richmond would never entertain a sound fiscally responsible idea when there was an easier way to waste money.

unfortunately the 3a schools in the Richmond area are still playing 5a , 6a ,4a and maybe 1 or 2 3a schools schools like Hopewell , jm ,Armstrong,and Petersburg they are playing Thomas dale, hermitage, highland springs and get beat bad record may be 2-8, 4-6, 1-9 or 6-4 but for teams like Hopewell the tough games helped them in the long run because they have more players than the Richmond schools

unfortunately the 3a schools in the Richmond area are still playing 5a , 6a ,4a and maybe 1 or 2 3a schools schools like Hopewell , jm ,Armstrong,and Petersburg they are playing Thomas dale, hermitage, highland springs and get beat bad record may be 2-8, 4-6, 1-9 or 6-4 but for teams like Hopewell the tough games helped them in the long run because they have more players than the Richmond schools

TJ is the exception... Hermitage dropped them from their schedule and TJ began scheduling more Class 3 teams seeing the benefit of it. I think over the next few years the other city schools will do the same.... If they are smart that is.

i agree Hopewell will continue to play 4 , 5 , 6 schools like dale and din because its a big money draw and rivlas

my Richmond area top 10. 1/ highland springs 2/ Manchester 3/ Thomas dale 4/ Dinwiddie 5/ bird 6/ Hopewell / 7 hermitage/ 8 Henrico/ 9 varina /10 ?

my Richmond area top 10. 1/ highland springs 2/ Manchester 3/ Thomas dale 4/ Dinwiddie 5/ bird 6/ Hopewell / 7 hermitage/ 8 Henrico/ 9 varina /10 ?

Not a bad list... Here is my thought with less than two months to go before the season begins.

1) Highland Springs is a no-brainer.
2) Manchester, if not this year, when?
3) Thomas Dale, Manchester is all that stands in their way of state semifinals.
4) Dinwiddie, Mills and his stable of athletes are always a threat.
5) Henrico, talent returning, talent coming in from transfers... no reason they can't threaten in 5B.
6) LC Bird, Coach Taylor is re-inspiring the program... look for them to bounce back in 2018.
7) Varina, Some questions concerning losses to graduation but program will continue momentum built last year.
8) Hopewell, defending Class 3 champs lost QB and others to graduation but still return talent to threaten.
9) Hermitage, a bit low compared to the last decade but new coach, players transferring out presents a bit of unease going into 2018.
10) Deep Run, look for the Wildcats to win the games that got away last year with new QB and Wheeler making the move to WR.

I HATE doing a top 10 across multiple classes. Just absolutely hate it! That's why I despise the TD top 10.

I agree most of the school are 6a , 5a , 4a, Hopewell the only 3a school in the poll . I think there are only 3 6a school in the Richmond area t, dale j, river and Manchester the rest are 5a 4a 3a that's why they probably do it that way.

The TD does it's polls to cater to their readership area. They include all schools, including privates. It's their newspaper, they can do as they please. But, as a valuable tool to decide which teams are the best in the Richmond area, it's useless.

There is always bias in their choices for their polls, as well as how much coverage they give to high school athletics outside of their "favorite" areas. But again, it's their paper, they can do as they damn well please. That freedom means that I can do as I desire, too. After 45 years of subscribing to the TD, I cancelled my subscription.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT