ADVERTISEMENT

Take the transfers away

Caught going against VHSL guidelines with full 11 on 11 padded practices during the start of the pandemic when everyone else had to work out in small groups without as much as sharing a ball between two players. Before this past year, they were allowed 5th-year seniors (4 years into joining the VHSL). But much like LB a couple years ago that was accused of recruiting by every school in the area, they struggled in the big game at the first sign of adversity. Congratulations to Phoebus for being the more physically and mentally tough team, in an impressive performance.

Last edited:
At one point in time I despised private schools, after a rogue "middle man" recruited an athlete from Gretna to a private school. But after being around LCA some, I am amazed at how much more mature and behaved LCA students are, compared to public school students.
I’m not sure what world you live in but you clearly see LCA very differently than I, and a lot of others here, do. I can agree that some of the LCA players seemed to play clean and without the trash. However some of their “stars” (especially the “all American tackle”) displayed the most immature behaviors I observed this year. I had the pleasure of talking with many of the players who went up against him this year and they said he was by far the dirtiest. One kid said he would grab anything on your body to hold you down once he got on top of you. That was echoed by others. With his size and ability that was not something he needed to do. Not to mention that it’s a personal foul in the rule book. If that’s your idea of mature and well behaved then you keep living in that imaginary world you’re in. But I guess you wouldn’t notice any of that since you said you only watch the skill players.

Reactions: Senex
I'm not a fan of whole deal but I hate that the whole school gets tainted by this.
I love what the school was founded on and probably what 95+% of it still stands for.
I don't think that if a family decides to send their kids there that a kid would have to sit out a year in order to be able to play. If a parent wants a Christian education for their kid there shouldn't be a penalty for that if they are paying tuition.
The problems come when a bunch of these same kids are clearly good enough to start on a higher level team. Thats when the waters get murky.
I know for a fact they push the idea of "repeat your 8th grade year" and you have a better chance at a scholarship down the road. I've had these kids in my class in elementary school and know when they should have been seniors. I attended a game years ago and saw a family with a certain kids number on pins on their clothing and asked if he was related to them to get that answer "he lives with us" (in all fairness though, this was when they were playing in the private league).

Let the kids transfer, let them play right away. But they should be playing private and not in the VHSL and beating teams with kids that would be playing for those others schools.

I'm not a fan of whole deal but I hate that the whole school gets tainted by this.
I love what the school was founded on and probably what 95+% of it still stands for.
I don't think that if a family decides to send their kids there that a kid would have to sit out a year in order to be able to play. If a parent wants a Christian education for their kid there shouldn't be a penalty for that if they are paying tuition.
The problems come when a bunch of these same kids are clearly good enough to start on a higher level team. Thats when the waters get murky.
I know for a fact they push the idea of "repeat your 8th grade year" and you have a better chance at a scholarship down the road. I've had these kids in my class in elementary school and know when they should have been seniors. I attended a game years ago and saw a family with a certain kids number on pins on their clothing and asked if he was related to them to get that answer "he lives with us" (in all fairness though, this was when they were playing in the private league).

Let the kids transfer, let them play right away. But they should be playing private and not in the VHSL and beating teams with kids that would be playing for those others schools.
Didn't Jerry start LCA during the 60's as a school for the white kids to go to instead of segregation?

Started in 67 but I doubt it was to avoid segregation although I can't say for sure. What I can say for sure was, Dr. Falwell was as down to earth with his students from any race as you could be.
I never knew him until the early 90's as a LU student but he was extremely interactive with us and loved to have fun.

History. During the 1950s and 1960s, Falwell spoke and campaigned against civil rights movement leader Martin Luther King Jr. and the desegregation of public school systems by the U.S. federal government. In 1966, he led the effort to create "a private school for white students," the Lynchburg News reported.
Founder: Jerry Falwell Sr.
Religious affiliation(s): Thomas Road Baptist C...

Simple Google search but hey who am I to judge on why you like why it was founded.

• Haha
Reactions: catchtds and Bo Bob
History. During the 1950s and 1960s, Falwell spoke and campaigned against civil rights movement leader Martin Luther King Jr. and the desegregation of public school systems by the U.S. federal government. In 1966, he led the effort to create "a private school for white students," the Lynchburg News reported.

Simple Google search but hey who am I to judge on why you like why it was founded.
I went to LCA in 68 and 69. I do remember a few black kids and another nationallity as students there.

That was when almost all of the private schools(except the Catholic schools that have been around forever) popped up around Virginia. Darn near all of them came about between 1965 and 1973

At one point in time I despised private schools, after a rogue "middle man" recruited an athlete from Gretna to a private school. But after being around LCA some, I am amazed at how much more mature and behaved LCA students are, compared to public school students.
thats all fine and dandy if its all about having your child raised and taught education in a environment that you want for your children, when it comes to athletics and competition and the unfair advantage against other kids in the state its BS

For me LCA is just another “take the kid out the hood and let him ball for us” situations. I’d love to see the percentage of minority students enrolled there that don’t play sports. Think this isn’t prevalent, look at the young man who just signed with Jackson State over literally every Power 5 in America and look at the number of people mad.

J. Cole said if it best. “Kenny Lofton, you feeling my pace.. They only care about a brother when he’s stealing a base.”

Half of their fans I saw on Saturday could care less about people who look like me if they wasn’t playing ball for them.

For me LCA is just another “take the kid out the hood and let him ball for us” situations. I’d love to see the percentage of minority students enrolled there that don’t play sports. Think this isn’t prevalent, look at the young man who just signed with Jackson State over literally every Power 5 in America and look at the number of people mad.

J. Cole said if it best. “Kenny Lofton, you feeling my pace.. They only care about a brother when he’s stealing a base.”

Half of their fans I saw on Saturday could care less about people who look like me if they wasn’t playing ball for them.
Your first sentence just isn't true. None of the 3 current players that transferred in to LCA from Glass or Heritage were from "the hood." They all are from middle class families from middle class neighborhoods. The 1 other Black player that transferred in was from Forest where the median household income is 76k. That's far from "the hood" in the CVA area of the state.

Reactions: rainman17
Your first sentence just isn't true. None of the 3 current players that transferred in to LCA from Glass or Heritage were from "the hood." They all are from middle class families from middle class neighborhoods. The 1 other Black player that transferred in was from Forest where the median household income is 76k. That's far from "the hood" in the CVA area of the state.
I said what I said. Never said the kids who are on the team presently is from the hood, I don’t know where they’re from. My post still stands.

I've spent time around both, kids are kids.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports

He's a racist if that's true. Unfortunately this stuff is still going on today:

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
He's a racist if that's true. Unfortunately this stuff is still going on today:
I’m a black man who went to a private school and played ball, you’re a token at schools like LCA. The elitist parents hate your guts. I was told by a daughter of a doctor that it was unfair that I got to go there just to play football and basketball and her dad had to pay. Little did she know, my dad scrapped up $5k to send me there. He was on fixed income. The older alumni look at you as a charity case. The Head of School knows how much you pay to go there. You’re simply there for their entertainment. LCA is one of many of these types of schools.

Reactions: fourthand50
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT