ADVERTISEMENT

Teams ranked by most likely to win State title

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
First . is Broad Run 4a or 5a? I thought they were 4a this year, but if you look up VHSL rankings they put them in 5a.

If Broad Run is 4a
1. Broad Run
2. Louisa
3. EC Glass
4. Lake Taylor
5. Tuscarora
6. Eastern View
7. Salem
8. Warhill

Notice I said most likely percentage wise to win title. This is not a ranking of best teams. You have to get to the regional final and win to have a chance.

Reactions: lyhsports
First . is Broad Run 4a or 5a? I thought they were 4a this year, but if you look up VHSL rankings they put them in 5a.

If Broad Run is 4a
1. Broad Run
2. Louisa
3. EC Glass
4. Lake Taylor
5. Tuscarora
6. Eastern View
7. Salem
8. Warhill

Notice I said most likely percentage wise to win title. This is not a ranking of best teams. You have to get to the regional final and win to have a chance.
Class 4. I assume this is from VHSL reference. They haven't updated the teams that just moved up or down In Class. This site is not associated with the VHSL.

Class 4. I assume this is from VHSL reference. They haven't updated the teams that just moved up or down In Class. This site is not associated with the VHSL.
VHSL reference is usually terribly wrong, especially some of their tweets. “Best teams in the 540” “Best Teams Ever”, etc.. I don’t know who comes up with some of that stuff.

If Broad Run is 4a
1. Broad Run
2. Louisa
3. EC Glass
4. Lake Taylor
5. Tuscarora
6. Eastern View
7. Salem
8. Warhill

Just asking, but what’s the source for this? Is this your opinion, or did it come from some other site? I have no problem with the list, just curious.

Just asking, but what’s the source for this? Is this your opinion, or did it come from some other site? I have no problem with the list, just curious.
Should have said my opinion
Of course any list like this would be opinion. Very little to go on except comparative scores, record and the eye test.
All opinions welcome

Reactions: SpartanOfYore
maxpreps still has them in Div 5 too. Losing credibility

maxpreps still has them in Div 5 too. Losing credibility
Max Preps says there are 120 teams in the nation better than ANY team in VA! Sorry,but there’s no way in hell there are 120 teams better than Highland Springs! They have ZERO credibility!!

Reactions: CavsGrad
Max Preps says there are 120 teams in the nation better than ANY team in VA! Sorry,but there’s no way in hell there are 120 teams better than Highland Springs! They have ZERO credibility!!
Agreed. Max Preps and USA today have lost credibility. Jeff Fisher [ https://highschoolfootballamerica.c...00-st-frances-academy-maryland-moves-to-no-2/ ] and Prepnation [ http://therealprepnation.blogspot.com/2019/10/week-10-prepnation-national-prep.html#more ] put more effort in and are better polls IMO and give some love to HS.

Agreed. Max Preps and USA today have lost credibility. Jeff Fisher [ https://highschoolfootballamerica.c...00-st-frances-academy-maryland-moves-to-no-2/ ] and Prepnation [ http://therealprepnation.blogspot.com/2019/10/week-10-prepnation-national-prep.html#more ] put more effort in and are better polls IMO and give some love to HS.
USA Today has HS #21. I don’t know if they’re THAT high,but I appreciate the “love”. Max preps bases it on a formula. Smh

USA Today has HS #21. I don’t know if they’re THAT high,but I appreciate the “love”. Max preps bases it on a formula. Smh
I think most if not all use algorithms...no single person can watch enough football to get it right. Plus its all speculation and no poll will be perfect. I'd probably put HS in a top 25 public poll just because they find ways to win. I think the streak is what is pushing them in high in USA Today.

Reactions: HooSprings
I think most if not all use algorithms...no single person can watch enough football to get it right. Plus its all speculation and no poll will be perfect. I'd probably put HS in a top 25 public poll just because they find ways to win. I think the streak is what is pushing them in high in USA Today.
Agree more on the basis that the streak is what is getting them the attention. Top 25? that is a tall order given the quality of teams in some areas of the country. Not saying they cannot compete, but the rankings are (supposedly) based on who is better than the next guy and SHOULD win if they faced off. But we all know that isn't how it works all the time. The notoriety only helps VA teams and pumps up the fans, so I am fine with it.

They are definitely talented but I really don’t know if they can compete with the big privates or the major Publics in bigger states

Reactions: falcettik
Agree more on the basis that the streak is what is getting them the attention. Top 25? that is a tall order given the quality of teams in some areas of the country. Not saying they cannot compete, but the rankings are (supposedly) based on who is better than the next guy and SHOULD win if they faced off. But we all know that isn't how it works all the time. The notoriety only helps VA teams and pumps up the fans, so I am fine with it.
Yes, I was trying to say the streak is likely behind their ranking in USA Today, rather than who they've beaten. Top 25 in my public poll is probably generous, but I can be biased (towards VA schools) like other polls.

There ranked high also because when the polls know that you have major d1 commits on the team they rank u on that also, also when ranked or in polls they check on how many returning players are coming back from last year team with 11 d1 players they do preseason poll, h/s have nice talent. They’ve won championships so they take that and factor that in , for example they do that for college football each year and basketball

Reactions: falcettik
There ranked high also because when the polls know that you have major d1 commits on the team they rank u on that also, also when ranked or in polls they check on how many returning players are coming back from last year team with 11 d1 players they do preseason poll, h/s have nice talent. They’ve won championships so they take that and factor that in , for example they do that for college football each year and basketball
That’s why I can’t figure out how MaxPreps has HSHS outside the top 120! They are loaded with D1 talent and winning.

That’s why I can’t figure out how MaxPreps has HSHS outside the top 120! They are loaded with D1 talent and winning.

They obviously know that there’s a lot of private and other Public school teams that they feel are better. This is the first year they’ve played a schedule that would place them in consideration for a ranking. ESPN definitely isn’t going to rank them this year, but again if y’all believe that they’re deserving of a top ranking believe what you want. I know they’re one of vas best teams but idk if they can play with the best of other states in their top classifications. It reminds me of the Amherst team that USA Today put in their rankings, back in 2006 or 2007 yes they were good/great but it’s not a lock they would’ve beat the best or deserves a high ranking but they were a damn good team. The same with the springers enjoy it while it’s here.

They obviously know that there’s a lot of private and other Public school teams that they feel are better. This is the first year they’ve played a schedule that would place them in consideration for a ranking. ESPN definitely isn’t going to rank them this year, but again if y’all believe that they’re deserving of a top ranking believe what you want. I know they’re one of vas best teams but idk if they can play with the best of other states in their top classifications. It reminds me of the Amherst team that USA Today put in their rankings, back in 2006 or 2007 yes they were good/great but it’s not a lock they would’ve beat the best or deserves a high ranking but they were a damn good team. The same with the springers enjoy it while it’s here.

There's always a bigger fish, VA just isn't at the top of the football food chain. It's up there for sure but that usually amounts to producing maybe 2 teams a year that are top 100 quality and other states just produce many more. I think HSHS is definitely in the top 50-75 range, though.

There's always a bigger fish, VA just isn't at the top of the football food chain. It's up there for sure but that usually amounts to producing maybe 2 teams a year that are top 100 quality and other states just produce many more. I think HSHS is definitely in the top 50-75 range, though.

We should look at HSHS against other regular public schools. I would think they may be one of the best 20 in the land. Even if you count private schools I think they are better than 50-75. Clearly all speculation though...who really knows.

you are right about us not being at the top of the food chain and I agree that we aren’t far behind though. VAHSFB is in the top 10 nationally I would say.

I would love to see HSHS against the best public HS team from Carolina or Maryland. The top schools from GA, FL, TX, and Cali have too many students. Some of those have 5000+ students to select from.

If you only looked at public HS’s with similar enrollment Highland springs has to be waaaaay up there nationally. Top 10 I would think.

I am sure they are focused on the last 2 games against CF and Varina. Tough road!

A lot of their Algo has to do with stars of the player I think. Springs has tons of ranked players with offers but they have some teams that have a few 4 and 5 star kids sprinkled in that skew the numbers. The only thing I would say is Springs is a small team compared to some of the national powers. They do compare well for skill positions but are probably a bit smaller size-wise in the interior lines. Doesn’t mean they would lose though.

120 is too low no matter who is in the sample

We should look at HSHS against other regular public schools. I would think they may be one of the best 20 in the land. Even if you count private schools I think they are better than 50-75. Clearly all speculation though...who really knows.

you are right about us not being at the top of the food chain and I agree that we aren’t far behind though. VAHSFB is in the top 10 nationally I would say.

I would love to see HSHS against the best public HS team from Carolina or Maryland. The top schools from GA, FL, TX, and Cali have too many students. Some of those have 5000+ students to select from.

If you only looked at public HS’s with similar enrollment Highland springs has to be waaaaay up there nationally. Top 10 I would think.

I am sure they are focused on the last 2 games against CF and Varina. Tough road!

Eh, there's some truth to that but there's quite a few schools in or around VA D5/D6 size with crazy success and quite a few schools significantly smaller than HSHS that are better. Southlake Carroll in TX has less than 1,400 kids and they've been top 25 nationally multiple times including time spent as #1. Miami NW in FL is another sub-1,500 kid school who has been a national power with umpteen D1 recruits on its roster.

HSHS definitely should look outward though if they seek a challenge, and use that streak to entice teams into playing. I see they went to NC and Maryland but neither of those teams are quite what you'd call worldbeaters either. Never know how things would play out but it can get real tough out there once you cross state lines.

Reactions: mbonape1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT