ADVERTISEMENT

Teams that have looked good early

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
I know all we have is a few scrimmages and one game but a few teams have got my attention, no particular order.
Lake Taylor. Great win over Phoebus
Dinwiddie. Good win over Danville
Salem. Destroyed Amherst at Amherst
Pulaski. Nice win 14 0 over North side

I'm sure you posters can add to this list.

Reactions: VolNation85
Broad Run and Tuscarora played a nail biter.
Louisa beat Courtland handily.
I agree @mike salem. Louisas destruction of Courtland is quite impressive. Broad Run will surely be a threat to win it all. Better not overlook GW. The Eagles offense is very explosive. If they can improve their run defense I look for them to be tough come playoff time.

After watching the ponax-charger tilt I’m going to pick the chargers to win in the lions den this week

If I’m wrong I’ll own it but here’s why:

1) Last week was confident they would have pass game open up due to ponax needing to slow the big charger back down. And also keep their smaller back(speedster) in front of the(they tried). Focusing on their big back opened up the field big time and their QB took advantage. It really opened up!!! Lots of very easy yards picked up in the air. Nothing dominant but very opportunistic. Take what they give, right

2) Louisa cannot afford to take resources out of their run defense because that big back for chancellor is their best athlete in the backfield. The speedster and their signal caller will earn all area honors because defenses cannot ignore him. They will literally accumulate big numbers off his back. Big boy will be taking a beating against better teams which leaves easier paths for his backfield mates. Watch as season goes on. But the bruiser will definitely get his yards. They will just be much harder earned. Kids a D-1 talent, it’s as plain as day

3) No team appears able to put the charger QB down. Heard he has taken his hits last two years but from what I saw last week nobody is doing anything to bother him when he is hit up high. Just bounces off and isn’t bothered a bit. Tackling him below his midpoint is the one thing that would wear him(any player) a bit in a game as he isn’t really fast or powerful, just moves well when you allow him to keep his feet like ponax did most of the night. This QB isn’t short but not tall either so maybe defenders think they can make him tap with higher tackles. Foolish mistake, he can take any high shots you give him, handles it well

***kids are tackling higher and higher and that’s why RB/QB legs stay fresher,,,,see it all over in HS games.

4) The charger line isn’t that deep but did a very good job of staying on a block even when QB went off schedule. This keeps QB cleaner and less heavy contact/hits so the pass game gets easier as game goes on and the defense wears down. The big LB from last years lions is gone and the ability for as many big hits is gone with him. No disrespect at all to Louisa but they simply cannot afford to let up on the big back which will leave huge holes elsewhere to be exploited

5) Home run abilities from charger speed back on edge or passing game. He will run through zones and loosen them so defensive pressure will be stretched out. That alone, even without ball in hands will be evident. Folks, he’s the defending 4a 55m champ/translation: your fast guys waste time and effort and he’s still faster. But that’s foolish pride and that rarely gets it done

6) Unless Louisa is willing to risk press cover and get hats flying consistently in the chancellor backfield (whether they give up big plays or not) I don’t see the chargers slowing during the game, but gaining more and more momentum. Letting charger playmakers run to their spots on schedule is a long night for any defense

7) I haven’t mentioned Louisa and their strengths but they beat Courtland. Ok, so how many hours did the cougars invest in a serious passing attack this summer. Don’t answer that because the point is this: Louisa is going to have an entire offense from chancellor to deal with. Unless the big back misses the bus, he will be the one who provides big opportunities all night long for the rest of his backfield

I know all we have is a few scrimmages and one game but a few teams have got my attention, no particular order.
Lake Taylor. Great win over Phoebus
Dinwiddie. Good win over Danville
Salem. Destroyed Amherst at Amherst
Pulaski. Nice win 14 0 over North side

I'm sure you posters can add to this list.
Yeah Amherst lost both lines to graduation. Three different coaches last year. A new coach and coaches this year. A new offense and very young team pretty much starting over. Destroy? Thanks for such a nice word for these young men

Yeah Amherst lost both lines to graduation. Three different coaches last year. A new coach and coaches this year. A new offense and very young team pretty much starting over. Destroy? Thanks for such a nice word for these young men
I may be wrong, bot didn't Salem have a new o-line and new coach this year also? Some people talked like Christmas was gonna be Amhearst savior this year. I know it takes time to get things turned around. But unless Christmas can figure out how to get his defense to play better, it will be no different than when he was at JF.

After watching the ponax-charger tilt I’m going to pick the chargers to win in the lions den this week

If I’m wrong I’ll own it but here’s why:

1) Last week was confident they would have pass game open up due to ponax needing to slow the big charger back down. And also keep their smaller back(speedster) in front of the(they tried). Focusing on their big back opened up the field big time and their QB took advantage. It really opened up!!! Lots of very easy yards picked up in the air. Nothing dominant but very opportunistic. Take what they give, right

2) Louisa cannot afford to take resources out of their run defense because that big back for chancellor is their best athlete in the backfield. The speedster and their signal caller will earn all area honors because defenses cannot ignore him. They will literally accumulate big numbers off his back. Big boy will be taking a beating against better teams which leaves easier paths for his backfield mates. Watch as season goes on. But the bruiser will definitely get his yards. They will just be much harder earned. Kids a D-1 talent, it’s as plain as day

3) No team appears able to put the charger QB down. Heard he has taken his hits last two years but from what I saw last week nobody is doing anything to bother him when he is hit up high. Just bounces off and isn’t bothered a bit. Tackling him below his midpoint is the one thing that would wear him(any player) a bit in a game as he isn’t really fast or powerful, just moves well when you allow him to keep his feet like ponax did most of the night. This QB isn’t short but not tall either so maybe defenders think they can make him tap with higher tackles. Foolish mistake, he can take any high shots you give him, handles it well

***kids are tackling higher and higher and that’s why RB/QB legs stay fresher,,,,see it all over in HS games.

4) The charger line isn’t that deep but did a very good job of staying on a block even when QB went off schedule. This keeps QB cleaner and less heavy contact/hits so the pass game gets easier as game goes on and the defense wears down. The big LB from last years lions is gone and the ability for as many big hits is gone with him. No disrespect at all to Louisa but they simply cannot afford to let up on the big back which will leave huge holes elsewhere to be exploited

5) Home run abilities from charger speed back on edge or passing game. He will run through zones and loosen them so defensive pressure will be stretched out. That alone, even without ball in hands will be evident. Folks, he’s the defending 4a 55m champ/translation: your fast guys waste time and effort and he’s still faster. But that’s foolish pride and that rarely gets it done

6) Unless Louisa is willing to risk press cover and get hats flying consistently in the chancellor backfield (whether they give up big plays or not) I don’t see the chargers slowing during the game, but gaining more and more momentum. Letting charger playmakers run to their spots on schedule is a long night for any defense

7) I haven’t mentioned Louisa and their strengths but they beat Courtland. Ok, so how many hours did the cougars invest in a serious passing attack this summer. Don’t answer that because the point is this: Louisa is going to have an entire offense from chancellor to deal with. Unless the big back misses the bus, he will be the one who provides big opportunities all night long for the rest of his backfield
so I guess the point you were trying to get across is the rest of chancellor doesn't need to send any one but the back and the quarterback to beat louisa. I wasn't going to go to the game as I have to drive 250 miles to see it but now I feel challenged so ill be at that beating louisa is going take.

Before this degenerates into another Salem-Amherst mudslinging contest - and I have absolutely NO desire to take part in that - perhaps a larger issue needs to be addressed.

I just went back and reviewed the Rivals message board rules, and found nary a single reference to “using potentially hurtful verbs in describing the outcome of games.” I know we’re all proud of our teams win or lose, but come on. Just...come on. If we’ve reached the point where every post has to be gone over with a fine-tooth comb to make sure no one who might ever read it is offended by any one word, then maybe it’s time to call it a day and shut this whole thing down.

Just something to consider. Thanks.

Before this degenerates into another Salem-Amherst mudslinging contest - and I have absolutely NO desire to take part in that - perhaps a larger issue needs to be addressed.

I just went back and reviewed the Rivals message board rules, and found nary a single reference to “using potentially hurtful verbs in describing the outcome of games.” I know we’re all proud of our teams win or lose, but come on. Just...come on. If we’ve reached the point where every post has to be gone over with a fine-tooth comb to make sure no one who might ever read it is offended by any one word, then maybe it’s time to call it a day and shut this whole thing down.

Hey just thinking of those kids that have been through so much is all.

Reactions: SpartanOfYore
That’s not point at all. But their back is a catalyst and anyone who doesn’t see it either has never seen the team the last two years or it’s just denial.

Yes he makes everybody around him better and no, they aren’t as potent without him. You also know I said I was picking chancellor and would own it if wrong. I can definitely be wrong, just stating why I think they will win

And never mentioned a whipping,,,,not even a sentence. Louisa should run all over the charger defense. I just see a way that chancellor wins because they can take advantage of easy pass lanes from a defense trying to close the middle off to a 250lb athlete. My understanding is his breakout game when they realized he was their horse was actually the Louisa game last year

If he carries 25 times and gains nothing, I believe it will come at the cost of giving up yards and scores
Elsewhere

It’s my opinion why I think chancellor will win. Not one other person in the pick ems this week has picked chancellor and I didn’t take offense

You should not either.

And I am not a charger or ponax guy, just a football fan

Hey just thinking of those kids that have been through so much is all.

I understand. I also submit that those kids might be tougher than you’re giving them credit for. As you say, they’ve already weathered many challenges. If indeed any of them read these message boards, I would say something pretty mild along the lines of someone saying “they got destroyed” probably rolls right off their backs. Or spurs them on to work harder.

I may be wrong, bot didn't Salem have a new o-line and new coach this year also? Some people talked like Christmas was gonna be Amhearst savior this year. I know it takes time to get things turned around. But unless Christmas can figure out how to get his defense to play better, it will be no different than when he was at JF.
I think we all knew it would take time. Nothing wrong with being positive

I understand. I also submit that those kids might be tougher than you’re giving them credit for. As you say, they’ve already weathered many challenges. If indeed any of them read these message boards, I would say something pretty mild along the lines of someone saying “they got destroyed” probably rolls right off their backs. Or spurs them on to work harder.
It probably does but these kids are pumped his year and have the toughest first three games than anyone.

Big difference when you have a coach that was under one of the best and is using the same offense as the players are used to. Amherst went through a really rough year last year. Everything is new to them this year. BIG DIFFERENCE

That’s not point at all. But their back is a catalyst and anyone who doesn’t see it either has never seen the team the last two years or it’s just denial.

Yes he makes everybody around him better and no, they aren’t as potent without him. You also know I said I was picking chancellor and would own it if wrong. I can definitely be wrong, just stating why I think they will win

And never mentioned a whipping,,,,not even a sentence. Louisa should run all over the charger defense. I just see a way that chancellor wins because they can take advantage of easy pass lanes from a defense trying to close the middle off to a 250lb athlete. My understanding is his breakout game when they realized he was their horse was actually the Louisa game last year

If he carries 25 times and gains nothing, I believe it will come at the cost of giving up yards and scores
Elsewhere

It’s my opinion why I think chancellor will win. Not one other person in the pick ems this week has picked chancellor and I didn’t take offense

You should not either.

if your not a charger fan then you wouldn't take offense. I just have to see this beat down in person that's all. oh and the way you described these two players running havoc over louisa that is a whipping where I come from. no hard feelings

Elsewhere

You should not either.

Ramblin, I hear you and appreciate your post. I just don’t see it happening. I won’t discredit what you have said especially since I have no idea about Chancellor. But even if Louisa has trouble like you suggested with the Chancellor TB etc...I don’t think they can stop Louisa with consistency. You are certainly going out on a limb with that prediction and I do respect that. Kudos to you... if it happens, we heard it hear first from you. I would be very surprised if this came to fruition.

Reactions: Ramblin'
racindan4u,

Where you come from? Please, we all come from somewhere but where I come from, we have the right to an opinion and back it with the information we have available. And then we get to see it play out

Again(AGAIN!),,,,need I say, again, I’ve laid out the reasons why I believe your opponent could win against your lions, not a guarantee, etc.

If it’s such a lock that the lions always beat the chargers, why bother, just have VHSL schedule Eastern View week 2,,,,EACH YEAR,,,,why not schedule Massaponax as well (the chargers do). Risk those patsy 10-0 starts????,,,,nope, not in the cards or DNA to do that I guess or you would use all means necessary (media pressure, constant offers to AD’s, etc). Too risky to play top flight teams in regular season?

Chancellor is a far better team, roster, etc, than the one Louisa faced last year. Even if they lose, I stand by that. They lost nobody of significance from last years squad. Not one person that I’m aware of.

Again, again and again, while I agree that Louisa will score a ton,,,maybe, just maybe chancellor does too. Maybe lions defenders allow chargers backfield to keep getting off the mat, therefore they keep pushing and stay in the game.

I’ll tell you what, if Louisa wipes the floor with the chancellor squad, you should relentlessly use every avenue to implore your Louisa team to remove all the easy, supremely hollow victories from your schedule that you have accumulated over and over and get real teams to play

Demand ponax, View, Dinwiddie, etc to work it out so they are the first half of your regular season schedule. Deal???? Nah, that might resemble a challenge that starts week 1,,,,I mean that’s really tough!

And no, I’m not upset but you are incensed by the idea that a school can beat yours. If that’s the case, demand your team step up its game and play more top teams. The ticket sales/gates would be huge so there’s nothing to lose,,,,except football games,,,,,BTW LIGHTEN UP and go watch what I believe can be a real football game this week

Yes will be tough but Louisa can be beat, any team can

Reactions: OCBoy
Ramblin, I hear you and appreciate your post. I just don’t see it happening. I won’t discredit what you have said especially since I have no idea about Chancellor. But even if Louisa has trouble like you suggested with the Chancellor TB etc...I don’t think they can stop Louisa with consistency. You are certainly going out on a limb with that prediction and I do respect that. Kudos to you... if it happens, we heard it hear first from you. I would be very surprised if this came to fruition.

Thanks and it’s not about discrediting or me going out on a limb. I’m really ok with naysayers but what fun would it be if another person just checked the lions box this week? As you were able to understand, I’m just providing the lone perspective where the chargers can show they can play with a team like Louisa. That’s all. Chancellor can hide their defensive flaws with an offense that can score in lots of ways. And while they are talented, they aren’t too deep. If either the QB or big back miss any time this year it really hurts them. No viable backup for the signal caller(they did not rep anyone last year so all eggs in one basket). And the RB(Scott) is just a big, D1 talent. Just don’t have another like him laying around for spare parts.

My guess is that the Louisa defenders won’t contain the chancellor QB, because they will allow him to stay upright, won’t disrupt timing so he will keep bouncing around and chucking the ball when the defense breaks down and that’s why this game will be close. All predicated off the needed focus to stop Scott and keep the speed back in front of them

Of course just an opinion and if it’s wrong I’ll go back to the drawing board.

Reactions: mbonape1
if your not a charger fan then you wouldn't take offense. I just have to see this beat down in person that's all. oh and the way you described these two players running havoc over louisa that is a whipping where I come from. no hard feelings
It was 37-7 before the last second TD at half last week before Massaponax pulled their starters. Chancellor scored twice at the very end of the game which made that score look closer.

Reactions: tw2126 and 7time

So first, it's not apples to apples comparing Salem getting a new head coach and staff and Amherst getting one. At Salem, the head coach and most of the assistants have been on staff for years- and not just any years, State Championship years. Amherst on the other hand, got a new coach and whole new staff completely, that are coming in after a disastrous season and a program that has been slowly sliding into bad habits for years. So yeah, it's not the same. Christmas taking over Amherst is way more akin to when Woody took over Glass. Glass was in rough shape and it took Woody(whom I think we can all agree is one of the best coaches in the entire state) a full season to get things in order and go 6-4, after going 1-9 the first year- now look where Glass is. All that combined with the fact that Amherst only has about 2-3 kids on offense and defense that saw ANY playing time last year, means it's going to be a long season for them. And any verdict issued on the status of Amherst football, on offense or defense, this year is just silly in my opinion. The worse the status of a program the longer it's going to take to get things in order, so any "if Christmas doesn't bla bla bla" after the first game of the first season against a perennial powerhouse is silly and not helpful to a community that is excited to finally have the ball rolling in the right direction.

It was 37-7 before the last second TD at half last week before Massaponax pulled their starters. Chancellor scored twice at the very end of the game which made that score look closer.

Yes but Massaponax doesn’t just hand out scores to the other teams they play. They are a top big school program. One chancellor chooses to play each year. But if chancellor gets drug around field this week, I’ll stand by everything I said :

They(chargers) are still much better this year regardless

And Louisa needs to demand a real schedule from week one in future seasons. Earn wins, don’t wait until week 12-13 to play your first real contest

Yes but Massaponax doesn’t just hand out scores to the other teams they play. They are a top big school program. One chancellor chooses to play each year. But if chancellor gets drug around field this week, I’ll stand by everything I said :

They(chargers) are still much better this year regardless

And Louisa needs to demand a real schedule from week one in future seasons. Earn wins, don’t wait until week 12-13 to play your first real contest
Louisa has Massaponax on their schedule and Courtland. They played for the state championship two years ago and lost on a hail Mary last year or might have went back. I think they have it figured out over there.

Reactions: one man and 7time
Louisa has Massaponax on their schedule and Courtland. They played for the state championship two years ago and lost on a hail Mary last year or might have went back. I think they have it figured out over there.

Yes, Fair enough, Massaponax is a new entry, though . Why not Eastern View, Dinwiddie, etc?

The rest of their schedule might very well be running clock, am I wrong? Fluvanna, C-vile? Huh?

And I was just responding to other post suggesting that chancellor has no chance. So I agree with ya, adding ponax is another nice step but the last 6-7 games don’t appear to be, games

so I guess the point you were trying to get across is the rest of chancellor doesn't need to send any one but the back and the quarterback to beat louisa. I wasn't going to go to the game as I have to drive 250 miles to see it but now I feel challenged so ill be at that beating louisa is going take.
Louisa by 21+

Reactions: 7time and Ramblin'
Yes, Fair enough, Massaponax is a new entry, though . Why not Eastern View, Dinwiddie, etc?

The rest of their schedule might very well be running clock, am I wrong? Fluvanna, C-vile? Huh?

And I was just responding to other post suggesting that chancellor has no chance. So I agree with ya, adding ponax is another nice step but the last 6-7 games don’t appear to be, games
You can’t pick conference games. Also assuming all of those teams are lining up to put Louisa on their schedule. I promise they aren’t.

I'm not saying Chancellor doesn't have a chance. Turnovers can change everything. I just don't think the Chancellor defense will stop Louisa at all....unless turnovers occur. Chancellor will probably have some success offensively, just not enough.

You can’t pick conference games. Also assuming all of those teams are lining up to put Louisa on their schedule. I promise they aren’t.
That's correct. Also, I think I'm starting to switch over from this "you gotta play the tough teams during the regular season" point of view. That's definitely not always the case. EV hasn't had a tough regular season in a couple years and they've had their most post-season success during those years. If it were me I wouldn't be scheduling a murderer's row of opponents...not worth the risk IMO.

I went to the first half of Chancellor/Ponax and second half of Courtland/Louisa.

Chancellor has an uphill climb. Its been known for years that Ponax has a weak secondary. Not the players but the scheme. Just ask North last year. Chancellor will have to keep the big back on the field more. They relied on the passing attack of Chancellor to do anything. That won't be the case at Louisa. Louisa has a way better scheme and players in the secondary. I'm calling this a lopsided win by Louisa.

Reactions: 7time and Ramblin'
What do you mean no team has been able to bring the charger QB down? Ponax sacked him four or five times in the first half. I quit counting after that. If that’s nit bringing someone down, I don’t know what is...

What do you mean no team has been able to bring the charger QB down? Ponax sacked him four or five times in the first half. I quit counting after that. If that’s nit bringing someone down, I don’t know what is...

Not talking sacks, talking about the ability to not let it diminish his ability as game goes on. He gets back up, physically unfazed or impacted. Not the most talented kid but despite the carnage on the field, he doesn’t have a huge physical drop off when sledding gets tough. Which is a trait more talented kids at any position lack at times. Last second plays before half and end of game are examples regardless of defenders on depth chart

I REMEMBER PEOPLE BEING PRETTY HARSH ON SALEM LAST YEAR

@Ramblin' I have no dog in this, but some of your comments make zero sense or contradict themselves.

How does Louisa need to step up their non district schedule to teams they won't just roll over, yet they are playing a team this week that will beat them?

And describing this QB, not being able to bring him down. Aren't you simply saying the kid is tough both physical and mental? That is certainly something to be admired, but acting like this is something that just he possesses is doing a disservice to other players around the state.

And lastly, you said you weren't a fan of Chancellor or Massaponax. Well it appears, you are either just saying that or a Louisa hater. I lean towards being a Charger fan as you are defending their game last week instead of just down talking Louisa.

As for your analysis and prediction, you could be right or wrong, it doesn't matter, you are certainly within your right to feel any way and post it on here

@Ramblin' I have no dog in this, but some of your comments make zero sense or contradict themselves.

How does Louisa need to step up their non district schedule to teams they won't just roll over, yet they are playing a team this week that will beat them?

And describing this QB, not being able to bring him down. Aren't you simply saying the kid is tough both physical and mental? That is certainly something to be admired, but acting like this is something that just he possesses is doing a disservice to other players around the state.

And lastly, you said you weren't a fan of Chancellor or Massaponax. Well it appears, you are either just saying that or a Louisa hater. I lean towards being a Charger fan as you are defending their game last week instead of just down talking Louisa.

As for your analysis and prediction, you could be right or wrong, it doesn't matter, you are certainly within your right to feel any way and post it on here

No hatin’, promise that and no affiliations. Just the only one picking different and detailed it with observation of some things. I do believe they have a chance and I don’t have a lean for any program. I simply saw 0-fer on every pick em’ board for a team I’ve seen in Fredericksburg/Stafford area and decided to present a new viewpoint. If it is a respectable game then my observation isn’t that far off. Nobody disrespecting other athletes. Not at all. Just easy to see the kids who are not only durable but steady, regardless of their sport/level and abilities

My last post until final is in. One guy picks under dog, presents some reason behind it and repeatedly willing to eat crow if my pick is outclassed from first play, mercy ruled, etc. And people don’t want to hear it. Just like politics nowadays: nobody willing to consider a different position

It’s just a position with only a W or L attached. Not life altering on the outcome.

Reactions: rainman17
No hatin’, promise that and no affiliations. Just the only one picking different and detailed it with observation of some things. I do believe they have a chance and I don’t have a lean for any program. I simply saw 0-fer on every pick em’ board for a team I’ve seen in Fredericksburg/Stafford area and decided to present a new viewpoint. If it is a respectable game then my observation isn’t that far off. Nobody disrespecting other athletes. Not at all. Just easy to see the kids who are not only durable but steady, regardless of their sport/level and abilities

My last post until final is in. One guy picks under dog, presents some reason behind it and repeatedly willing to eat crow if my pick is outclassed from first play, mercy ruled, etc. And people don’t want to hear it. Just like politics nowadays: nobody willing to consider a different position

It’s just a position with only a W or L attached. Not life altering on the outcome.

Well one, I never said you were wrong with your pick.

And I didn't say that was your intent, I said that is how it comes off.

I don't care who wins. And your reasoning for why you feel they can win was actually very well thought out and explained. Nobody should have an issue with it. Just when you get into the other things is when it appears you have some kind of stake in the winner

I think Louisa and Chancellor will be a good game. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised is Louisa ends up winning handily. It does seem like Chancellor got some free points against Ponax last week. I do think Chancellor is very underrated. Still, winning at Louisa is a tall task. I'll take Louisa by 14. Chancellor could very well make some noise this season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT