ADVERTISEMENT

The current state of Sherando Football

Even the stadium atmosphere isn't anything like it was a few years back. It feels weirdly corporate and bland, whereas before I legitimately felt like we had one of the best gameday atmospheres in the state, even during years when we weren't good. I get that visiting fans whined and moaned to no end about it, but that's the entire point.

Even the stadium atmosphere isn't anything like it was a few years back. It feels weirdly corporate and bland, whereas before I legitimately felt like we had one of the best gameday atmospheres in the state, even during years when we weren't good. I get that visiting fans whined and moaned to no end about it, but that's the entire point.
You are exactly correct.

I am probably the only guy on the boards here for KR so I get were @Scalvinscaliwag and @Shruikan are coming from. Sherando definitely was the team to beat! Sherando, Millbrook, and Liberty were always the games to circle on the schedule. I still do circle those games even today.

It’s confusing with what has happened to the legacy programs in the northwest. Specifically Sherando and Millbrook. Its seems clear to me from 2020 through today, it’s an entirely different dynamic for the Northwest. I do understand that regions can ebb and flow with talent and coaches but the legacy teams in the northwestern have really changed. Even a few years ago, we all knew if you were going to be playing the Winchester area teams, you were really in for a tough Friday night.

There was no other school in 4A that had the environment like a packed Arrowhead stadium on Friday night. As a visitor, I really enjoyed the atmosphere. I hope it comes back for all of us.

I am probably the only guy on the boards here for KR so I get were @Scalvinscaliwag and @Shruikan are coming from. Sherando definitely was the team to beat! Sherando, Millbrook, and Liberty were always the games to circle on the schedule. I still do circle those games even today.

It’s confusing with what has happened to the legacy programs in the northwest. Specifically Sherando and Millbrook. Its seems clear to me from 2020 through today, it’s an entirely different dynamic for the Northwest. I do understand that regions can ebb and flow with talent and coaches but the legacy teams in the northwestern have really changed. Even a few years ago, we all knew if you were going to be playing the Winchester area teams, you were really in for a tough Friday night.

There was no other school in 4A that had the environment like a packed Arrowhead stadium on Friday night. As a visitor, I really enjoyed the atmosphere. I hope it comes back for all of us.
I can think of 3 off the top of my head
LOUISA, DINWIDDIE. SALEM. All were or are currently 4a

Reactions: WarrentonCougar21
As an observer from across the state line, Sherando in 2019 to Sherando in 2021 felt like a totally different program. I had heard they were going to go through a dry spell talent wise, but the drop was just enormous.

I’m not sure exactly what has gone on with the coaching staff since Hall retired, especially now with the former HC taking the Handley job, but it seemed like a bigger change in mentality and play style than I imagined it would be. Not necessarily scheme, but Sherando under hall was always extremely physical. Kids played with a real edge. Not the case the last couple years from what I’ve seen.

If I remember right the Winchester schools didn't allow their schools to compete outside of the area during the COVID 2021 Spring season. I think this really negatively affected Sherando especially, and I don't think they have been up to par in football since.

I might be a dreamer, but I don't think they're as far away from being a power again as some might think. Kettle Run pounded them last week, but before that, they were 2 plays away from being undefeated coming in to that game. 100% Jake Smith hurt the program bad in his 2 years at the helm. Whether he chose to leave for Handley or was told to get out (Pretty sure that is what happened), they replaced him with a Sherando man in TJ Rohrbaugh. I've been told it was his job when Hall left and he chose not to and Smith got it by default. Their freshman and JV teams have killed people all year and they return most of their starters on both sides of the line for next season. Don't be surprised if Rohrbaugh has them in strong position. What he is doing certainly seems more like Sherando Football.

Another thing to consider is the change in demographics in Frederick County. James Wood which was once the door mat has by far the best kids overall in most sports in the county.

I watched the Sherando freshman play martinsburg a few weeks back. They had beaten martinsburg in the season opener, but in the rematch the bulldogs were on pace to roll them until they lost their QB. The Bulldogs held on for the win, but it was essentially dead even after the injury. Definitely a strong group for Sherando in that class. Martinsburgs freshmen are probably as talented as they’ve been in a couple years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT