ADVERTISEMENT

The East End Bowl! 2018

springer76

VaPreps All District
Nov 21, 2008
Highland Springs, VA
The rivalry renewed!
The Challenger: Varina sits at 8-1 thirsty for Validation, trying to knock off their arch rival for the first time in 5 years, Highland Springs! Can they do it?
The Champ!: 3 time Back to back to back State Champions! Loaded and ready for more, sits at 9-0!
Favored to win an unprecedented 4th straight title and hungry for the first completely undefeated season at 15-0.
This is like a playoff game, the players all know each other, grew up together and ready to rumble!
Who've you got! I am sticking with my Springers, ranked #1
42-7.

The rivalry renewed!
The Challenger: Varina sits at 8-1 thirsty for Validation, trying to knock off their arch rival for the first time in 5 years, Highland Springs! Can they do it?
The Champ!: 3 time Back to back to back State Champions! Loaded and ready for more, sits at 9-0!
Favored to win an unprecedented 4th straight title and hungry for the first completely undefeated season at 15-0.
This is like a playoff game, the players all know each other, grew up together and ready to rumble!
42-7.
54-14

The rivalry renewed!
42-7.

As much as I would like to see this game be close I just don’t know that it will be based on the common opponents and the Henrico game. I think HSHS is more talented and more disciplined which spells trouble for Varina. Usually you’d need at least one of those things to not be true to get a W. My gut tells me Springs by 28... I will call Springs 42-21 bc it is a rivalry game.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
The rivalry renewed!
42-7.

Springers won the first meeting in 1940 and won every meeting from 1940 to 1951, that is 11 straight games as they did not meet in 1947.

Then in 1966 the rivalry renewed for a 2-year stint and with a tie the first year and in 1967 the Springers won again.

In 1984 the two met for the first time in 17 years and have met every year since. From 1984 to 1987 the Springers were victorious but then in 1988 the Blue Devils finally broke through.

The Blue Devils would win 3 of 4 from 1988 to 1990 and that includes a meeting in the 1989 playoffs.

The Springers won the next three before Varina asserted their dominance. From 1994 to 2004 the Blue Devils would win 10 of 11 including 9 straight!

In 2005 the Springers got the best of Varina in a 15-14 game decided in the final seconds.

Varina got their revenge in 2006 claiming the regular season and playoff meeting.

From 2007 to 2012 the two split the six meetings before Highland Springs began their current winning streak in 2013. The closest the Blue Devils have been to the Springers during this streak is a 21-point loss last year.

Dag Dan! You must be a Blue Devil or somethin'!;):eek:o_O

Oh you're funny... It is no secret that I graduated from Varina many moons ago. I had to check my fan card at the door before becoming a staff writer for VirginiaPreps however and have become a fan of all these schools to be honest. I just love the history between schools... I think sometimes we forget about the history because we are so invested in the here and now with recruiting and such.

In this one there has obviously has been waves of domination within the series, Highland Springs dominating in the early years, Varina's rise to prominence in the 90's to 2000's and now the run that the Springers are on...

There are few rivalries such as this in the region... obviously Bird-Dale comes to mind, Patrick Henry/Lee-Davis, Hanover-Atlee. Does anyone see any rivalries in the area that measure up to these? Henrico-Highland Springs is a good one but not on the same level as Varina-Highland Springs.

Last edited:
Another Varina alum here. I wish I could pick the Blue Devils for the upset, but they are just not on Springs' level. Varina has some good athletes, but that Springer D is stingy. I will say 48-7 unless the 2nd string D gives up some big plays. But hey, that funny shaped ball does take some crazy bounces.

Another Varina alum here. I wish I could pick the Blue Devils for the upset, but they are just not on Springs' level. Varina has some good athletes, but that Springer D is stingy. I will say 48-7 unless the 2nd string D gives up some big plays. But hey, that funny shaped ball does take some crazy bounces.

I've said it before, I'll say it again... Having seen the Springers defense twice this season, best defense I've seen in all my years of going to football games.

Reactions: DRWildcatDad2018
Oh you're funny... It is no secret that I graduated from Varina many moons ago. I had to check my fan card at the door before becoming a staff writer for VirginiaPreps however and have become a fan of all these schools to be honest. I just love the history between schools... I think sometimes we forget about the history because we are so invested in the here and now with recruiting and such.

In this one there has obviously has been waves of domination within the series, Highland Springs dominating in the early years, Varina's rise to prominence in the 90's to 2000's and now the run that the Springers are on...

There are few rivalries such as this in the region... obviously Bird-Dale comes to mind, Patrick Henry/Lee-Davis, Hanover-Atlee. Does anyone see any rivalries in the area that measure up to these? Henrico-Highland Springs is a good one but not on the same level as Varina-Highland Springs.
Back in the 70's (as this was my time at HSHS) there was a fierce rivalry with Lee Davis/ HS and Freeman/HS!

On another note, back to Varina & HS!
Thursday night you've got a matchup in the season finale with JV!
Undefeated Varina at Undefeated HSHS, in a showdown for dominance! Who could ask for more! HS has been scored on only once. Against Henrico. They score 12 pts. On HS. All other games are shutouts!

Last edited:
Reactions: CRF4Dan
Back in the 70's (as this was my time at HSHS) there was a fierce rivalry with Lee Davis/ HS and Freeman/HS!

On another note, back to Varina & HS!
Thursday night you've got a matchup in the season finale with JV!
Undefeated Varina at Undefeated HSHS, in a showdown for dominance! Who could ask for more! HS has been scored on only once. Against Henrico. They score 12 pts. On HS. All other games are shutouts!
I have a sneaky feeling that the varsity game will be played on Saturday!

I have a sneaky feeling that the varsity game will be played on Saturday!

Rain will never hurt anyone but with storms in the forecast... it ought to be moved up to Thursday or back to Saturday. Chances are you are going to get to the game and find yourself in a prolonged delay or headed home.

I miss the rivalries from my youth. I'm a very old Petersburg alum, so I remember a lot about the long gone rivalries. Petersburg vs Hopewell, Thomas Dale, and believe it or not, Colonial Heights. The Petersburg/CH game was traditionally the final game of the year, and played on Thanksgiving Day Friday.

I've always been envious of a lot of the schools in SWVA. Many of those schools have been going at it for generations.

Hey Danny, is there a comprehensive list somewhere that tells exactly how many teams each region takes to the playoffs? I know most take 8, but some Regions only have 7, 8, or 9 schools.

Yep, Varina, Hermitage and one other got their fields. Three more next fall and three more the following.

Freeman got the 3rd new field. 3 more new terf fields this year coming. HS, Henrico and Tucker.
The following year is Godwin, Deep Run and Glen Allen
I thought they were building new Tucker and HS; will they be using the same fields?

I miss the rivalries from my youth. I'm a very old Petersburg alum, so I remember a lot about the long gone rivalries. Petersburg vs Hopewell, Thomas Dale, and believe it or not, Colonial Heights. The Petersburg/CH game was traditionally the final game of the year, and played on Thanksgiving Day Friday.

I've always been envious of a lot of the schools in SWVA. Many of those schools have been going at it for generations.

Hey Danny, is there a comprehensive list somewhere that tells exactly how many teams each region takes to the playoffs? I know most take 8, but some Regions only have 7, 8, or 9 schools.

I'll see if I can locate it, I believe it is on the VHSL site.

Varina grad here...back in my day on Messer Road we were still dodging Velociraptors on campus and our main rival was James Monroe HS. :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT