ADVERTISEMENT

The ratings system, as good as it gets?

Years ago we had 5 high schools in Henry Co and Martinsville high school. Farthest we went west was Patrick Co and east was Dan River. Not that way anymore. And if you dont believe that schools can have less money now than "back in the day", come to Martinsville. We couldnt get a bus for a regional baseball game last year, had to drive a van and two cars.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
It's not all about money. Things like actual time on the road, time getting back from games, time spent out of school etc. are also factors. Additionally, many rural schools don't have a choice. They are the only school in the county and must go elsewhere to play. Harder to sell long trips to administration when there are teams right next door. Another factor in the mid-sized schools is that while yes, they have gate and concessions, they have many other teams to support while your SW schools often have many fewer teams that are also traveling. Remember, it costs the same to haul a bus load of football players or 10 seats of volleyball players.
Finally, I'm not sure who you are saying is "crying". No one is saying "if only we could travel we'd be as good as (insert really good team here)." People are only saying that what they have been told by Ad's, principals, and school boards for years: "We play a district schedule to reduce travel."

Was not referring to you or anyone on this board, I was referring to the schools as being the cryers. Did not mean to come off disrespectful to you.

Was not referring to you or anyone on this board, I was referring to the schools as being the cryers. Did not mean to come off disrespectful to you.
Yes, that makes more sense. However, I think their concerns are legitimate. The folks that control the purse strings have everyone and everything to consider. Not just the football team. Like you said, if a team wants to travel and find better competition get out there, raise some funds, and hit the road.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
I would like us to go to the Texas High School Playoff Format. Get rid of Power Points. First three rounds would be regional and the next three rounds would be at the state level. End the season on the Saturday before Christmas. We would probably have to go down to a three or four class system but that's fine by me.

Out of district games could be used to prep your teams for district play.

District championships would mean something again as the winners of their districts would get at least a home game in the first round or two of the playoffs as the playoffs would start with a bi-district round.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT