ADVERTISEMENT

This week in the Seminole #3

Aug 12, 2016
Seminole/Dogwood
As we reach the second half of the regular season, the race to the top of the Seminole is the log jam that many expected. Injuries may play a factor down the stretch as teams fight for playoff spots.

Jefferson Forest (3-2, 2-0) at Amherst (3-2, 2-0)

A big conference 4 game highlights the schedule this week. The Cavaliers ride into Amherst with a sensational offense lead by Brad O’Donnell at the quarterback position. This high octane offense can score quickly and efficiently. One coach stated, “They have the speed of the 5’s”. #15 Jacob Hackworth, #25 Marvin Blake, and #35 Keenan Cupit.

The Lancers have a, ”Ferocious front four” on defense. #64 M. Wimbush, #65 Tyler Goins, #69 David Braxton, and #76 Deshaun Harris proved to be too much for Brookville and Rustburg the last two weeks. These big guys can control the line of scrimmage very quickly. They are all big, strong, and physical and will be a tough wall to try to get through.

Heritage (4-1, 1-1) at Brookville (4-1, 1-1)

Pioneers- Jabari Blake #5 took over the QB position last week against Liberty. One coach has said, “A superb dual threat with serious speed”. Of course, any time you see Heritage all eyes are on #11 Elijah Davis. That coach also mentioned, “Don’t be surprised by #2 Carrington Anderson being used as a wildcard”. Heritage doesn’t have to travel far to take on this rival. Only 2.2 miles separate these two.

Bees- After struggling on the road two weeks ago, the offense was full of big plays in week #2. WR/CB #11 Micah Glaize, a coach told me, “He maybe the best two way player in the district.” Stinger Stadium will once again be the home for a heavyweight matchup between two of the best teams in the district.

Rustburg (2-3, 0-2) at EC Glass (4-1, 1-1)

Red Devils- Numbers have hurt the Devils this season, and now injuries are rearing their head. TE #82 Grayson Harvey is leading the team in receptions, and receiving touchdowns. The real highlight of this team is OG #72 Logan Reusser. One coach said, “He reminds me of Marshal Yanda of the Baltimore Ravens in that he is a little undersized. He has proven to be the best right guard in the district, but he is on a team that is really, really struggling”.

Hilltoppers- #56 Jadan Merriman has emerged as the, “highlight reel defensive end of the district”. He is very tough to contain of the edge with his tremendous speed. In addition, lingering somewhere in the middle is #2 TPatt, who is a tremendous MLB. #11 Matthew Macallum is developing every week into a fantastic passer.

Liberty (2-3, 0-2) at LCA (2-3, 1-1)

Minutemen- Much like Rustburg the numbers are not in their favor. Injuries have also hit this group and are making the uphill climb even steeper. The last 3 games Liberty has been outscored 145-33. #4 Taylor Carson will lead the way on the ground, and they hope to improve on special teams

Bulldogs- The road has not been kind to LCA, and after this week they have two heavyweight road games back-to-back with Heritage and Amherst. They look to right the ship in the friendly confines, and expect #16 Rylann Styamm and #6 Eddie Ogle to light up the night sky.

Last edited:
I enjoy these write ups. You should do one of these for the Dogwood teams
I will try to work that in. Schedule is pretty hectic right now. I'm glad you like this post and thank you
I will say this should be a great Dogwood game Friday when Gretna travels to William Campbell. I have several coaches notes on Rosser. That young man is very good. Two undefeated teams is a wonderful thing

VolNation heritage will not get beat by Brookville...I still currently think heritage is the best 3a team. Brookville can score but they will not stop the pioneer's... heritage 42 Brookville 21.

VolNation heritage will not get beat by Brookville...I still currently think heritage is the best 3a team. Brookville can score but they will not stop the pioneer's... heritage 42 Brookville 21.
Lol I knew you would say that but, that doesn't answer the question. Just by the snowball's chance in hell that Brookville does win, will you still consider Heritage the best team in Class 3?

And just for the record, I actually agree with you. I don't think Brookville will be able to stop Heritage either and Heritage will win relatively easy. But....anything is possible in high school football.

VolNation that is a good question. I would certainly be a little less confident. That being said, I still believe they are the best team in the west and will be completing for a state championship. Top to bottom they are the best team I've seen in 3a

Brookville is a great atmosphere and has a great coaching staff. Heritage also has a great coaching staff so this is sure to be a fantastic game. Looking at the numbers- Brookville is averaging 33pts per game while allowing 26. Heritage is averaging just under 41 pts per game and only allowing 8. That leads me to believe the Pioneer defense is pretty darn amazing. More often than not defense wins games like this. Good luck to both teams

Brookville is a great atmosphere and has a great coaching staff. Heritage also has a great coaching staff so this is sure to be a fantastic game. Looking at the numbers- Brookville is averaging 33pts per game while allowing 26. Heritage is averaging just under 41 pts per game and only allowing 8. That leads me to believe the Pioneer defense is pretty darn amazing. More often than not defense wins games like this. Good luck to both teams
Or maybe Brookville had a tougher schedule.Heritage has already played Liberty and Fleming to pad the stat line.

Oldsport it was rivalry game and heritage beat themselves. Heritage did get beat but sometimes you have to get a wake up call. I am not only going to call a win but this one will not be close.

At some point one of these top teams in the district has to follow up a good win with another good win. Both Heritage and EC Glass must feel like they were too satisfied with big wins over Appomattox and Heritage respectively, and had a let down in their next game.

Now it is Brookville's turn to avoid the letdown.

Come playoff time, if you win one you can't lose the hunger for the next one.

I would be willing to bet the combined scores of JF v Heritage and JF v Brookville will tally close to 200 pts. More shootouts on the horizon later this season

That's a really good defense. Brookville maybe the best offense they have played yet. Should be a good game

At some point one of these top teams in the district has to follow up a good win with another good win. Both Heritage and EC Glass must feel like they were too satisfied with big wins over Appomattox and Heritage respectively, and had a let down in their next game.

Now it is Brookville's turn to avoid the letdown.

Come playoff time, if you win one you can't lose the hunger for the next one.
I wouldn't consider Heritage losing to Glass a let down
I would be willing to bet the combined scores of JF v Heritage and JF v Brookville will tally close to 200 pts. More shootouts on the horizon later this season
We're all entitled to our opinions but, I can't help but disagree with this statement. The Heritage D is very, very good. They get overshadowed by Davis and the offense but, they're no slouch whatsoever. Brookville's passing game is good but a lot of they're yards against Glass came against blown assignments by the Glass secondary. The Brookville receivers didn't really "make" many plays on their own. Brookville's run game was non existent against Glass.

I wouldn't consider Brookville's passing game is good but a lot of they're yards against Glass came against blown assignments by the Glass secondary. The Brookville receivers didn't really "make" many plays on their own. Brookville's run game was non existent against Glass.

If Heritage does not have a consistent pass rush against Brookville, the QB will have all day to throw the ball. Give any quarterback long enough in the pocket and he will find an open receiver. Thats what happened against Glass. The secondary can't cover receivers forever.

With a playoff spot kind of hanging in the balance I am thinking the JF at Amherst game is the biggest game of the week. Heritage at Brookville will be really good, but both teams are locks to make the playoffs.

Reactions: DemRaiders
With a playoff spot kind of hanging in the balance I am thinking the JF at Amherst game is the biggest game of the week. Heritage at Brookville will be really good, but both teams are locks to make the playoffs.
I kinda agree. With both teams already having two loses, the loser would almost certainly have to win out to get in. And with both teams still having to play Heritage and Glass and JF still having to play Brookville too, that might be a tall order.

My cousin plays for Rustburg. It has gotten rough. The players are not coming together and it's a lot of me and not a lot of we. 3rd string qb, and one of the major running backs out. He said the left side of the o line doesn't block at all, the defense line is in need of replacement and overall things are bad. I like coach baker but they are some cancers on this team that he needs to address. Those cancers are growing bigger with every loss. His coaching staff is young and really need to connect better with the players. Respect to Liggon but the rest need to totally change what they are doing or it will get worse. Rustburg deserves better than this

Unfortunately, these things happen when teams are struggling. Rustburg graduated several key players and has a very young team this year. With youth comes inexperience and technique skills that need to be developed. In addition, injuries have played a key factor as they always do. Playing in a very competitive Seminole makes things even tougher. The Devils do have some impressive talent with Johnson, Harvey and Reusser. Team chemistry will be a huge factor over the next four games. Coach Baker is a great person and I am sure he will address the issues. This week they are on a short timetable as they host a really good Brookville team on Thursday.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, these things happen when teams are struggling. Rustburg graduated several key players and has a very young team this year. With youth comes inexperience and technique skills that need to be developed. In addition, injuries have played a key factor as they always do. Playing in a very competitive Seminole makes things even tougher. The Devils do have some impressive talent with Johnson, Harvey and Reusser. Team chemistry will be a huge factor over the next four games. Coach Baker is a great person and I am sure he will address the issues. This week they are on a short timetable as they host a really good Brookville team on Thursday.
Once again you were right. Two of the biggest problem players have been removed. Hopefully we will see a different type team on Thursday night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT