ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on 2A, Radford, Appo, SD, BC, GC, Graham, Glenvar

Fairlawncat

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 24, 2018
Radford- so, first for Radford having watched live. We're better on offense. It's clear the OL is legit, our QB is definitely matured, and we're fine. Defensively, we have to tighten up on preventing big plays. I think we are 10 points better right now then we were last year. Did I say our OL was legit? Guys, I'm telling ya, this offensive line is scary good for a 2A team. The key for us will be developing the mid range passing game. We can run it and we can screen it, but we have to have the short-mid range passing game as a threat to have the success we all want at Radford this year.

Appo and Buck. County- didn't watch or listen. I picked BC back in July to win Region B, and go on to represent the East to play in the state title. The talent has always been there. They didn't have the coaching. The new coache turned it around last year in his first season. He now has still fairly young, but crazy talent with experience and he can coach. BC winning isn't a surprise, the margin was. Appo will still be good and a contender to win Region C with Radford and Glenvar and Gretna and guess what, the coach at Appo is pretty good to, lol. Smith will have Appo and his youthful talent a threat to win the region and even possibly play for the big one by seasons end. Nobody is paying attention to Gretna and they are kind of like Buckingham in that they are talented. I think Radford is the favorite by a small margin in Region C, but in the playoffs, Gretna, Glenvar, and Appo will be very close and capable.

Glenvar- I think a 7-3 team that may play in the state semi's. They will start out 0-2 possibly with Riverheads next week. Galax Will play in the 1A state title game representing the West. Galax has one of their better teams since the state title and have athletes everywhere. That's the perfect matchup vs Glenvar and Galax beat em close. Riverheads is run oriented and that is the perfect matchup for Glenvar. I think Riverheads wins likely, but don't be surprised if Glenvar wins. Glenvar will still be good enough to have a chance at winning the region come playoff time.

Region A- I know nothing about. I don't think Amelia played and I saw Poqouson beat Southampton pretty good. TJ will be a threat dropping down for sure.

Region B- Stuart's Draft and Buckingham are the two I got playing in that title game. I saw where Draft layed the leather last night. Draft has had to solid of a program to be down for too long. It's a matter of time with them. Can't count out Clarke Co. East Rockingham just lost to much to contend for a region title. I suspect Draft, Buck Co., and Clarke and maybe even Luray are 4 teams ahead of ER this year.

Region D and West-
Gate City and Richlands. I listened to this one on my phone. Gate City rushed for nearly 300 yds. It's apparent that if they aren't back from their 3 or 4 year drought, they are on the right track to getting out of one with their new Head Coach. To win at Richlands is impressive. Richlands plays the tough schedule and may finish 5-5 and still play for the region title.

Ridgeview won big as Adkins, the D1 kid put on a show. Union was Union by looking at their score and it seems they aren't ever down. Well know more how much separation is between Richlands and Union next week and about Ridgeview in short time. Tazewell back to the 80s and old Tazewell? We will know more as they play Graham next, and Gate City, wow.

Graham and Bluefield, I just finished watching a recorded broadcast stream of this an hour ago. Bluefield looks as good or better than last year and aside from the 14 point win, it's a Graham maybe should have won. They had over 130 yds of penalties and two long TDs called back and might have outgained Bluefield. I don't see any drop off with them from last year and I will stick with them as my pick to win the whole thing. Their QB is actually better than last year, that's right, he's better than Cam Allen and ran for about 270 yds on Bluefield and I just don't see an AA team in VA beating them. Region D early on is likely the best region this year as it appears Graham, Union, Richlands, Gate City, Tazewell, and Ridgeview are solid 6 teams.

Last edited:
Radford definitely has to be the favorite in Region C. Glenvar's chances in the end will depend on whether the O line, the QB, and passing game develops so that teams can't load the box on them. What I saw last night was very encouraging. The young QB did a very good job overall and passed the eye test. Glenvar is loaded with at least 3 great RBacks.

Radford- so, first for Radford having watched live. We're better on offense. It's clear the OL is legit, our QB is definitely matured, and we're fine. Defensively, we have to tighten up on preventing big plays. I think we are 10 points better right now then we were last year. Did I say our OL was legit? Guys, I'm telling ya, this offensive line is scary good for a 2A team. The key for us will be developing the mid range passing game. We can run it and we can screen it, but we have to have the short-mid range passing game as a threat to have the success we all want at Radford this year.

Appo and Buck. County- didn't watch or listen. I picked BC back in July to win Region B, and go on to represent the East to play in the state title. The talent has always been there. They didn't have the coaching. The new coache turned it around last year in his first season. He now has still fairly young, but crazy talent with experience and he can coach. BC winning isn't a surprise, the margin was. Appo will still be good and a contender to win Region C with Radford and Glenvar and Gretna and guess what, the coach at Appo is pretty good to, lol. Smith will have Appo and his youthful talent a threat to win the region and even possibly play for the big one by seasons end. Nobody is paying attention to Gretna and they are kind of like Buckingham in that they are talented. I think Radford is the favorite by a small margin in Region C, but in the playoffs, Gretna, Glenvar, and Appo will be very close and capable.

Glenvar- I think a 7-3 team that may play in the state semi's. They will start out 0-2 possibly with Riverheads next week. Galax Will play in the 1A state title game representing the West. Galax has one of their better teams since the state title and have athletes everywhere. That's the perfect matchup vs Glenvar and Galax beat em close. Riverheads is run oriented and that is the perfect matchup for Glenvar. I think Riverheads wins likely, but don't be surprised if Glenvar wins. Glenvar will still be good enough to have a chance at winning the region come playoff time.

Region A- I know nothing about. I don't think Amelia played and I saw Poqouson beat Southampton pretty good. TJ will be a threat dropping down for sure.

Region B- Stuart's Draft and Buckingham are the two I got playing in that title game. I saw where Draft layed the leather last night. Draft has had to solid of a program to be down for too long. It's a matter of time with them. Can't count out Clarke Co. East Rockingham just lost to much to contend for a region title. I suspect Draft, Buck Co., and Clarke and maybe even Luray are 4 teams ahead of ER this year.

Region D and West-
Gate City and Richlands. I listened to this one on my phone. Gate City rushed for nearly 300 yds. It's apparent that if they aren't back from their 3 or 4 year drought, they are on the right track to getting out of one with their new Head Coach. To win at Richlands is impressive. Richlands plays the tough schedule and may finish 5-5 and still play for the region title.

Ridgeview won big as Adkins, the D1 kid put on a show. Union was Union by looking at their score and it seems they aren't ever down. Well know more how much separation is between Richlands and Union next week and about Ridgeview in short time. Tazewell back to the 80s and old Tazewell? We will know more as they play Graham next, and Gate City, wow.

Graham and Bluefield, I just finished watching a recorded broadcast stream of this an hour ago. Bluefield looks as good or better than last year and aside from the 14 point win, it's a Graham maybe should have won. They had over 130 yds of penalties and two long TDs called back and might have outgained Bluefield. I don't see any drop off with them from last year and I will stick with them as my pick to win the whole thing. Their QB is actually better than last year, that's right, he's better than Cam Allen and ran for about 270 yds on Bluefield and I just don't see an AA team in VA beating them. Region D early on is likely the best region this year as it appears Graham, Union, Richlands, Gate City, Tazewell, and Ridgeview are solid 6 teams.

The officiating in the Graham game was hugely disappointing. The officials became too big of a part of the game. The contest didn't end until about 11:00 p.m. because of all of the penalties, conferences.....etc... In addition to the 2-touchdown penalties (One- a "decleating" call on what to me appeared to just be a very good block and the other on a holding penalty on a bubble screen". Didn't see it, will have to watch the replay. There was another incident of a Bluefield returner getting stripped of the ball on a kick return. The Graham kid clearly stripped the ball in-bounds. The refs had a 5 minute conference and awarded the ball back to Bluefield? That one blew my mind. Anyway, I thought the 2 teams were evenly matched. Bluefield's J.J. Davis looked like the D-1 recruit that he is. Lester did a great job at QB. There was a lot of sloppy play, bad snaps and way too many penalties, but I guess that is expected this early on. Bright spots for Graham were Xayvion Turner and Marcus Ray. Turner scored 2 long touchdowns and showed great speed on both, unfortunately, they were both called back, but still very impressive plays. Marcus Ray made some good catches and showed a lot of athleticism as well. Tre Booker at runningback looks solid, it was tough to do anything against that big interior D-Line of Bluefield, but he did have a few good gainers. Linebackers for Graham played great.

Appomattox got a big wakeup call friday night. Alot of work needed and now the boys may listen up. Coach Smith has the ability to turn them around, its really up to the players to make it happen now.

Reactions: Fairlawncat

Region D and West-

How did George Wyhte look?

Region D and West-

Can't comment on the others, and can't tell you how last night should be received for SD. Is JR good, which means it was impressive or not and means much of nothing. JR lone score was late in game with backups in. The SD guys just need to get more experience, as a bunch of them are just Sophmores and juniors, 5 seniors on the team

And I am afraid that the next couple weeks won't give more of a clear picture with Waynesboro and then Covington. The real test will come Sept 20 at Clarke County.

How did George Wyhte look?

Whtheville looked good I thought. They have some speed and athletisicm and I'm not sure G. Wythe would be behind Narrows, Grayson, P. Henry, or Chilhowie. I haven't seen those other 1A schools, but I'm betting they are equally as good or maybe slightly better.

Reactions: Optimal62

Region D and West-

If you don’t mind me asking, do you have a link for the Bluefield vs Graham stream that you watched?

The officiating in the Graham game was hugely disappointing. The officials became too big of a part of the game. The contest didn't end until about 11:00 p.m. because of all of the penalties, conferences.....etc... In addition to the 2-touchdown penalties (One- a "decleating" call on what to me appeared to just be a very good block and the other on a holding penalty on a bubble screen". Didn't see it, will have to watch the replay. There was another incident of a Bluefield returner getting stripped of the ball on a kick return. The Graham kid clearly stripped the ball in-bounds. The refs had a 5 minute conference and awarded the ball back to Bluefield? That one blew my mind. Anyway, I thought the 2 teams were evenly matched. Bluefield's J.J. Davis looked like the D-1 recruit that he is. Lester did a great job at QB. There was a lot of sloppy play, bad snaps and way too many penalties, but I guess that is expected this early on. Bright spots for Graham were Xayvion Turner and Marcus Ray. Turner scored 2 long touchdowns and showed great speed on both, unfortunately, they were both called back, but still very impressive plays. Marcus Ray made some good catches and showed a lot of athleticism as well. Tre Booker at runningback looks solid, it was tough to do anything against that big interior D-Line of Bluefield, but he did have a few good gainers. Linebackers for Graham played great.

Horrible officiating, Graham was sloppy & undisciplined at times but so was Bluefield. Graham could have won on any other given night. Congrats to Bluefield. I see Graham cleaning things up and only getting better. This team on game 1 is better than last year's team on game 1 in my opinion.

Horrible officiating, Graham was sloppy & undisciplined at times but so was Bluefield. Graham could have won on any other given night. Congrats to Bluefield. I see Graham cleaning things up and only getting better. This team on game 1 is better than last year's team on game 1 in my opinion.
I agree, much better than last year at game 1 Going forward, they will need to get Turner, Ray, and Booker more involved in the offense. Lester cant run the ball 39 plays every game and expect to stay healthy all season. Clean up the sloppy play and they will be hard to deal with. Also, the O-line held up better than expected also, so that is a good sign. I thought that Graham had the better team. Bluefield got a couole of big runs by Davis and that big fumble return. Every time Graham would make a big play to make the game tight, the flags would fly. Very controversial call to give the ball back to Bluefield after that strip on the kickoff. And the de-cleating penalty was bogus. That was just a good block. That penalty took away a Graham td, gave Graham a first and forever situation and Bluefield scored on the short field . That whole scenario was a big swing in the game. Another thing that bugged me was Graham squib kicking and gicing Bluefield ggood field position. They lost to Richlands in 2016 by doing that stuff. We have the speed to match Bluefield, may as well kick it deep. Anyway, nobody in the regular season will be abke to match Grahams athleticism in the regular season. Next week against Tazewell may be their toughest test other than Union. Ill go out on a limb and say they wont be tested until the playoffs. Strong words after a loss, but I expect Bluefield to make another trio to Wheeling

Last edited:
Radford is the real deal that line is huge probably 2 d1 lineman and a junior kicker that can name his college not alot of depth but If they stay healthy could be a run to state

Radford is the real deal that line is huge probably 2 d1 lineman and a junior kicker that can name his college not alot of depth but If they stay healthy could be a run to state

They don't have 2 D1 lineman....don't let the size fool you....they have 1 D1 lineman who is going to Vanderbilt

Radford looks like the favorite in the west to me. Cobbs and Prileou are a lot for any 2a team to handle. And im sure they have more weapons as ive heard their lineman are very good and also the QB. Gonna be a tough team to beat.

They have 2 lineman that if you grade them both are equally good so one has signed the other will

I say Richlands has best kicker in 2A if not the state. It should be interesting duel.of the kickers when they play if Radford's is top notch too.

And its sad that he probably wont get any big school looks cuz hes from SWVA. But u get a kicker in the 757 that kicks a 59, 53 and 25 yarder and boots every kickoff outta the endzone he could name his school. We will see i guess.

And its sad that he probably wont get any big school looks cuz hes from SWVA. But u get a kicker in the 757 that kicks a 59, 53 and 25 yarder and boots every kickoff outta the endzone he could name his school. We will see i guess.

Disagree. If he gets himself involved with the right people they will get him in front of college coaches.
The Radford kid works with HKA and Adam has no doubt talk to coaches at the D1 level about him and will have him several visits set up so he can show what he can do.
Plus the Radford boy has gone to specialist camps and won them.

If you want your name out there market yourself some.

If he is interested in HKA I can promise if he's good he will get chances to show it.
My son got to snap for Marshall coaches, Liberty coaches, and private visits to snap with East Carolina and Clemson. Would be glad to pass a name and number along if they are interested.

Last edited:
Kickers, punters and long snappers are probably the only positions that don't get penalized for being in a more rural area. They don't care about level of competition for these positions because it doesn't make a difference, assuming they are getting the kicks off quickly.

Kickers, punters and long snappers are probably the only positions that don't get penalized for being in a more rural area. They don't care about level of competition for these positions because it doesn't make a difference, assuming they are getting the kicks off quickly.
The kicker for Clarke this year, Kellan Dalton, does a nice job of getting hangtime on kickoffs when he's not kicking it into the endzone. His PAT's also are strong. Too bad he's a senior though!

Reactions: moto138
Very few kickers, punters, and long snappers are offered scholarships, most get an invited walk on and if you win the job you get the scholly. This kid is good I have seen him twice in the last 2 years. I'm sure the invited walk-ons are out there .

Levi from Richlands is also rated the #6 Punter in the nation by Kohls....so hes attending camps/specialist events. Should have no issue with going to just about any college he wants. And if the kid from Radford is anywhere close to that level he will be in the same boat. I've not seen him but ive watched Levi twice ......65-68 yard FGs in warmups all day long. And hes 6'5 with a frame to easily add 20-30 more lbs. Kids leg strength is insane and will only get better in a college program.

Where has he camped and what combines and events has he been to? You have to travel and visit places and get your name out there by soph year. If your a senior now and haven't camped any where and been to the right combine and events then it is a major uphill battle. But you have to get out there and shop yourself and market yourself. If you dont put out feelers and just set back and hope they come knocking then it's going to be along wait. Have to register with the clearinghouse first and for most. You also have to to have an eligibility passing score on the SAT or ACT that goes with the sliding scale based on your GPA to even be able to take official visits.

Where has he camped and what combines and events has he been to? You have to travel and visit places and get your name out there by soph year. If your a senior now and haven't camped any where and been to the right combine and events then it is a major uphill battle. But you have to get out there and shop yourself and market yourself. If you dont put out feelers and just set back and hope they come knocking then it's going to be along wait. Have to register with the clearinghouse first and for most. You also have to to have an eligibility passing score on the SAT or ACT that goes with the sliding scale based on your GPA to even be able to take official visits.
This might tell you a little...

https://www.heraldcourier.com/sport...cle_75d0d230-cec5-11e9-a1fa-939e0a23c458.html

Very few kickers, punters, and long snappers are offered scholarships, most get an invited walk on and if you win the job you get the scholly. This kid is good I have seen him twice in the last 2 years. I'm sure the invited walk-ons are out there .
Never knew this with 85 full rides you would think you would use a couple on the best punter and kicker out there as both are game changers

Reactions: CallMeCoach19
Never knew this with 85 full rides you would think you would use a couple on the best punter and kicker out there as both are game changers

I once heard a coach say that long snapping is a skill that can get you from nowhere to anywhere if you master the skill well enough. It makes sense. Everyone needs a good one at higher levels, and very few kids really devote the time and effort to be great at it. No glamour there.

To be clear, I'm not saying force your kids to be a long snapper. I just thought it was a cool perspective.

I once heard a coach say that long snapping is a skill that can get you from nowhere to anywhere if you master the skill well enough. It makes sense. Everyone needs a good one at higher levels, and very few kids really devote the time and effort to be great at it. No glamour there.

To be clear, I'm not saying force your kids to be a long snapper. I just thought it was a cool perspective.

Don't matter how good your kicking game is if you have no one to snap them the ball!!!

This is definitely true. I knew a guy in HS that was a very good QB/Defensive end and had some solid D1-AA offers to play football. Instead, he made the decision to go to a bigger school and just focus on long snapping because he figured "every NFL team needs one and I don't know a lot of guys that spend a lot of time practicing it." He became a very good snapper and had a pretty solid NFL career that included a Super Bowl ring.

Lotta talk about Radford and others, but the defending champs are gonna have a LOT to say about who hoists the trophy this year as well.
Graham should definitely be in the discussion. I'm not automatically saying they repeat at state champs but I see them as viable as any other team right now to make to state playoffs and possibly win. The big "if" for all the top teams is staying healthy and injury free which I hope is the case for all of them.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT