ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts?

DanvilleSportsHead

VaPreps All District
Sep 24, 2014
North Danville, VA
Last night at the Appomattox/Dan River game, Dan River had 3 players kneel during the National Anthem. Within 30 minutes after the game the pictures of the young men kneeling reached the internet. How would your program handle this situation?

Kids have no idea of the unintended consequences of what they do. They are playing a sport already under attack in lots of directions. Stuff like this just gives school boards more reasons to eventually eliminate football from their budgets. I foresee high school football gone in 20 years.
I agree Gilliam. This phenomenon seems to be a growing problem around the nation.

Keep the players in lockerroom during anthem. Then it is a non issue.
SBU, I notice that some teams don't come out until after the National Anthem, even before all of this started. I stand out of respect for the service men and freedom that we have in this great country, but if you're going to disrespect and not stand during the Anthem, then I agree, keep them in the locker room or out of sight. Stuff like this isn't a good look for the kids or the program.

Ive seen pictures of peewee football players doing it.. im sure most of them have no idea of what or why they doing it. If you're going to protest i just think there is other ways of doing it. Like danville i stand for the freedom and service men that have fought for this country. Everyone in this country has faced adversity at some point in their life. How you handle that is up to you. This country has major issues right now, but we are in better shape than most. When im at a football game thats what im there to see, not someones political statement.

Thank you guys for the positive/mature responses. I agree with you Culpepper. Stop giving them the attention and it will nip it in the bud.
I know I will ruffle some feathers with my beliefs but I am a huge 49er fan and I support Kap. It's simple for me, both my parents are vets and I'm a history teacher however what people like to do is avoid situations that make them uncomfortable. Kap stance is about a real issue that I the son of a cop have had to deal with numerous times in my life which is racial injustice in our country. People would rather he protest off to the side to himself so they can basically ignore him and the issue. The fact that he's doing it during the anthem is making people have a conversation that quite frankly a lot of people don't want to have. Hes the best QB on our roster but won't get a chance to run a system that's built around his skill set because he's taking a stance for what he believes in. Until things change in our country (which I doubt) he will continue to protest and ride the bench.

Now for all the kids protesting I hope they fully understand why they are protesting and not just doing it to be cool. Like the ice bucket challenge or some other challenge they saw on social media. The Awareness needs to be there.

Protest is one of our rights as a citizen but to not stand for the anthem is simply disrespect for this country, not a productive form of protest. Into 6 games in the BRD I have seen zero kneels for any player on any team. Kudos to their sensibility. I hope it continues.

I know I will ruffle some feathers with my beliefs but I am a huge 49er fan and I support Kap. It's simple for me, both my parents are vets and I'm a history teacher however what people like to do is avoid situations that make them uncomfortable. Kap stance is about a real issue that I the son of a cop have had to deal with numerous times in my life which is racial injustice in our country. People would rather he protest off to the side to himself so they can basically ignore him and the issue. The fact that he's doing it during the anthem is making people have a conversation that quite frankly a lot of people don't want to have. Hes the best QB on our roster but won't get a chance to run a system that's built around his skill set because he's taking a stance for what he believes in. Until things change in our country (which I doubt) he will continue to protest and ride the bench.

Now for all the kids protesting I hope they fully understand why they are protesting and not just doing it to be cool. Like the ice bucket challenge or some other challenge they saw on social media. The Awareness needs to be there.
No feathers ruffled here. I respect you for your opinion. My dad is a vet too and though we don't agree with a lot of things going on in America, there has been a lot of people who have died and served and protected for this country. My Dad's body is all beat up for sacrificing for this country, he has a honorable discharge. That's why I stand and why EVERYOND should stand. Cam Newton said it best in that press conference the other week on the issue.

Reactions: gwb16
Ive seen pictures of peewee football players doing it.. im sure most of them have no idea of what or why they doing it. If you're going to protest i just think there is other ways of doing it. Like danville i stand for the freedom and service men that have fought for this country. Everyone in this country has faced adversity at some point in their life. How you handle that is up to you. This country has major issues right now, but we are in better shape than most. When im at a football game thats what im there to see, not someones political statement.
Thanks Ridge! I agree wholeheartedly bro. Thanks for your feedback.

Reactions: ridge98
I understand they have the right to protest/disrespect the country. I would say this though....I don't think disrespecting the flag/country is gonna accomplish one thing. The only conversation it's bringing up is that they have the right to do it.

Devils, I understand/respect your point and you know I appreciate your Pops, but racial injustice has nothing to do with high school football players disrespecting the "National Anthem".

Its all about a show. I grew up in the beginning of bussing in Roanoke, I know the issues. I lived it, but my father, just like yours raised us to be better men. We need continue to lead by example.

I would expect you, danville and hoos to express your feelings honestly and promote your concerns without being berated, but i struggle believe you condone this form of protest. You guys have taken Freedom, opportunity and the American Dream to be successful. Was it easy? Hell no, but you guys had aspirations, worked hard and guess what? . You were not denied and have my respect.

I am real. Never fail to speak my mind on anything. Raised by a great father who gave "all" an opportunity, worked his butt off, so another underprivileged kid could play sports, while his own family struggled to make ends meet.

Said this before and will say it again. My dad has colon cancer as a result of fighting for his country. He has encouraged 100's of african americans and whites to be the best they could be. Some listened and are much more professionally successful than I.
When I see kids both white and black disrespecting our country I take it personal.

Like it or not thats how I feel. I have followed in my fathers footsteps and the guys who provide us safety and freedom (armed service and law enforcement) deserve everyones respect. The nonsense needs to stop.

Sorry about the rant. Celebrate those who stand, not those who kneel.

Thank you Bleeding Navy. It's always good to get your feedback. I appreciate everyone being civil and respectful. Really good points have been made. We talked about this when it first started happening in the pros, but now this is the new norm. I think Virginia Tech's basketball coach Buzz Williams did it best. Last year he invited vets from WWII, Vietnam, Persian Gulf, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc to teach his guys the importance of standing for the Anthem. This was before this kneeling stuff even started. Many people have lost their lives to fight for what we have today. I tell the young guys that I mentor that freedom wasn't and isn't free. BN, yes, stop giving the ones who kneel air time. When I played sports I would always stand and honor the flag, but I would also use this time to pray. Pray for my safety, my teammates safety, and to thank the Lord for the opportunity to play. These kids don't understand that they're blessed to live in a nation where they can go to school, PLAY SPORTS for crying out loud, and have the opportunity to go to the next level and if they don't go pro, get a quality education. It's a lot of ungrateful'ness. No one person or race has a lock on opportunity or success, to piggy back on BN's post. I could really go on for days about this issue because it hits home and though I'm a black man, I disagree with a lot of this protest that our brothers and sisters are doing. Don't worry, I've been called a tom, "NOT WOKE", and a lot of stuff because I think a lot of these inequalities speaks more about our people's progress then it does America's. I'm well respected by my kids. This summer I taught them what to do when an officer approaches them. I taught them the importance of respecting authority and taking accountability. We need more of us teaching our kids these things. That's the biggest problem.

This is a very difficult subject. My Father is a WWII vet and I have 2 sons in the Military. I will always stand for the flag and the Anthem but they fight and have fought for the right of an American to express their opinion. And this goes back to even before the Revolution.

I am old enough to have protested during the Vietnam era. I was young and misguided by media and peer pressure. The reality didn't hit home till many years later but that happens with youth. You learn.

It is good that these kids are utilizing their civic rights and making statements in a civilized manner. MLK would be proud. They may be young. They may have things to learn. We all do. But I refuse to disrespect the men and women who fought and died for their right to do so and happy the kids are using those things that have meant so much sacrifice from so many.

The reason we stand for the flag and anthem is for those who have fallen defending it. My grandfather (dad's dad) fought in WW1, lived to 1992 (96 years old)...I stand for him! My grandfather (mom's dad) came home from work after the Japanese had bombed Pearl Harbor, told my grandmother he had to do something...went and enlisted the next morning. Became a gunner on an airplane got shot at and bombed every mission.Came home after the war to a then 8 year old daughter lived a few years before being hit head on by a drunk tractor trailer driver and killed when my mother was 13 years old...I stand for him! My dad served in the Marine Corp early 1950's although stateside as a MP, died 2010 congestive heart failure...I stand for him! One of my Uncles served during Vietnam, had a grenade explode near him sending shrapnel through his lower extremities, fought off the infection to live until 1998, died of Cancer...I stand for him! A good friend of mine served in Vietnam as a sniper and tunnel rat, was captured by the Viet Kong, tortured nearly everyday with being beaten and breaking his bones. He has calcium deposits on his face and shoulders (huge knots for those who are not familiar with this) to show for his service to this country, was released back to the USA...I stand for him! One of my brothers has been a member of the Army National Guard for 33 years now, went over to Afghanistan to help with the infrastructure organization of that country just a few years ago...I stand for him! Another brother of mine retired from the United States Navy where during the 911 attacks on US soil, he was one of many people responsible for dispatching fighter jets to secure our air space and strategic targets of interest that terrorist may attack...I stand for him! I have a nephew (another brother of mine whom passed away in 2002) whom joined the Marine Corp and served 2 tour in Afghanistan and 1 in Iraq straight out of high school (Patrick County). A fun loving young man that laughed all the time and always had a smile on his face, after his service he now sits alone sometimes staring off into space at a wall. He will pause in the middle of conversations we are having sometimes and fade away until I bring him back...I stand for that young man! I have another nephew currently serving in the Air Force whom is straight out of high school (Franklin County) just starting his family...I stand for him! I have a cousin who "was" a police officer in Roanoke County, performing a routine questioning of a suspect on the street. The suspect pulled a protractor from his pocket and stabbed him in the chest for routine questioning...I stand for him! I have another cousin whom is a police officer in Henry County. He was supposed to be coming by on duty to my son's birthday party to show the children at the party a patrol car and what it looks like.He texted me apologizing saying he would be late because he received a drunk in public call at 9 am and when he arrived, he asked the gentleman if he had been drinking and the guy punched him in the face immediately and tried to run, he had to subdue the perpetrator and go to the hospital...I stand for him!
I have alot to stand for and anyone who can't stand for themselves, I stand for them! This kneeling is ridiculous from my perspective and very disrespectful to my family, friends, neighbors, and my community! Like DinwiddieProud and BleedingNavy have said, celebrate the ones standing, they get it!

The National Anthem has always had an effect on me and what it means to me. I look forward to hearing it and feel blessed. This blessing I don't just know, I feel in my body. Im sure the majority of those standing also have those feelings. I agree with what DSH had to say about Buzz Williams bringing the point that not providing your attention is disrespectful to our troops and veterans. So, seeing kneeling definitely bothers me based on my own feelings of this being a sacred expression of thankfulness. It makes me sad more than mad. Im wondering if the shock factor to gain attention to a cause, will shift to kneeling and facing away, turning backs to our flag. I sure hope not. I know that our country needs to work on unity not division. I just dont think this is the way to get focus on issues in our country. I appreciate those players who stand, I hope they are feeling blessed and really feeling it, not going through the motion because it is expected. I know it is a school's decision not to bring the team out until after the National Anthem, but I think this deprives the team the right to show their thankfulness for their freedom and blessings. You can personally appoach a serviceman, a veteran, law enforcement officer and fireman one on one and offer your gratitude. The community provides a unified thank you by standing, being attentive and respecting the National Anthem.

I dont always get my words to match what Im trying to say. But the point I meant is you're respecting and providing thanks to these brave men and women especially the ones who paid the ultimate sacrifice of their lives. Also the families who have sacrificed by losing their loved ones. Your not respecting the song, you are respecting and thanking them for your freedom and blessings. When Im saying National Anthem that is this expression of all this thanks to them who deserve more, but at least my respect and thankfulness. I hope that was understood.

How do you all feel about folks who proudly display and fly the Confederate flag and say it's because of "heritage"?

Last edited:
The flag represents a long gone entity that promoted the enforcement of slavery of human beings- that is not the heritage I would be proud of or display.

Honestly don't care. Like at all. Your attention during the anthem is on the flag so what people do with their bodies doesn't matter to me because it's not my focus. I even gave up on hoping people take their hats off(adults are as bad as kids with this, 99% sure because the men are embarrassed to be bald or balding). The only thing I care that other people do during the anthem is keep quiet and that's because when you talk, unlike when you sit or kneel quietly, you noticeably affect those around you. It's no different than going to someone's house for a meal and talking while they say grace. You don't have to bow your head or close your eyes if you don't share their beliefs but you keep quiet nonetheless. Some kid kneeling out of my line of sight doesn't affect me but if he's yapping and I hear it then yea, that's disrespectful to me.

Basically as long as you don't talk during it go wild because I'm probably not even going to notice you and I won't care anyway.

The flag represents a long gone entity that promoted the enforcement of slavery of human beings- that is not the heritage I would be proud of or display.
You are entitled to your opinion which is one great thing about this country. If that is what you believe the flag represents then, in my opinion, Kaepernick's protest measure is not a problem. However, I disagree strongly with your opinion/belief of what the flag/anthem represents. The ongoing debate over the anthem issue is useful, again in my opinion, because I believe it has actually forced people to stop and consider a variety of fundamentally important questions. I believe people must ask themselves an initial question before they can even get to the debate of the appropriateness of Kaepernick's protest gesture(and the copycats) and it is directly tied to your original statement. The question is what exactly do the flag and anthem represent? An answer along the lines of your post(which prompted my reply) does not really create an issue with the protest. If they represent the country and the freedoms afforded its citizens, the issue of the protest is not a clear cut decision either way, in my opinion. If the flag and anthem represent not only the country and the freedoms afforded its citizens but, an acknowledgement of the sacrifices made by those(both black and white) in defense of our country and those freedoms then the issue of the protest and the form it should take begs the need for much further debate. I hope that people choosing to protest at least take the time to consider the fundamental questions and form their own opinions as opposed to choosing to copycat the actions without any real thought and consideration. I will not criticize Kaepernick because I am not privy to the thought process involved in his decision. I would have chosen differently as one who feels fortunate to enjoy the freedoms this country offers and who has not had to risk life and limb so far defending those ideals because those who came before me had already paid that price.

Correct- my comments were to the comment on the Confederate flag, not the USA flag!!!
My apologies. I missed that part. Have to learn to read the thread more carefully. I believe the rest is relevant as I think there are a lot of people out there who need to ask themselves some questions before they choose to follow. Again, my apologies.

Reactions: Lafayette
@cutnjump I believe @Lafayette was responding to my question about the Confederate flag.
Thanks for reeling me in Hoosfan. Quickly scrolling and missed the post changing direction with your question. I agree with Lafayette after being corrected. I will say I am in the camp of learning from history so as not to repeat mistakes and not putting things in a closet just because they do not fit the current politically correct definition.

The U.S. Flag flew over slave states for almost a hundred years. Do you have a problem with it as well?
The abolition movement started in the North in the 1820's and these and states in the West were designated "free" states and unfortunately the Missouri compromise in 1830's legitimized slavery in the South to maintain the Union. Such an abolition movement in the South never occured, putting agriculture economics over human suffering. This compromise was wrong and should have been rejected. England outlawed slavery at that time. It took another 30 years for many Americans and Lincoln to realize this was wrong and end it at any cost. The cost was high for all but neccesary for the survival of the US.

The abolition movement started in the North in the 1820's and these and states in the West were designated "free" states and unfortunately the Missouri compromise in 1830's legitimized slavery in the South to maintain the Union. Such an abolition movement in the South never occured, putting agriculture economics over human suffering. This compromise was wrong and should have been rejected. England outlawed slavery at that time. It took another 30 years for many Americans and Lincoln to realize this was wrong and end it at any cost. The cost was high for all but neccesary for the survival of the US.
You didn't answer the question.

Reactions: gwb16
My family has its share of former and current military folks. I obviously respect today's USA and what it took to get here or I wouldn't have this avatar. I feel that folks displaying the Confederate flag are also disrespecting our country, in a worse way than kneeling during the Anthem, but no publicity is made about that. Why not? Heck, Lee-Davis High School's nickname is still the Confederates, and there are still a ton of schools named after Confederate generals. Louisa used to be the Rebels, but they changed it. I have driven behind the same truck a few times that is plastered with the Confederate flag and has bumper stickers saying things like "I miss RE Lee". IMO, the American flag represents a rich history of good and bad, but the Confederate flag is based on nothing good. Many people displaying the Confederate flag like to say it's because of their heritage, but some are the same people saying African Americans need to get over slavery. Newsflash, they need to get over a war they lost that was rooted in evil and secession. I'm not saying to forget our past as a whole at all, there are many ways to keep the discussions alive, but flying that other flag represents arrogance and bitterness to me.

This country was built on "freedom", greed, decimation of Native Americans and enslavement/torture of African Americans and other races. Don't get me wrong, there were plenty of very good people back then, too. Now it's hundreds of years later, and things are still in the early stages of changing for the better. Imagine if there were as many Native Americans here today as there are African Americans. What would they be saying? How would they view the American flag? But regardless of the things going on today, life is still better than it was 50 years ago. Things like Vietnam should have never happened. I understand and appreciate everyone's, like BN, Devils, DSH, and mvwarrior's, views on the subject, which are based on personal and family experience, as is everyone else's. I feel that this board isn't the place for this kind of discussion, so I'll no longer post in this thread.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT