ADVERTISEMENT

Too many time-outs

Hampton Roads 6

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Feb 22, 2003
I think the NFHS needs to tweak the TO rule again, and reduce the number of TOs a team is allowed. It should be reduced from 5 to 3. Same goes for NCAA.

Well, you might say so, but no coaches are going to vote for that. What is your reasoning behind wanting it changed?

Never going to happen. In fact, if the NFHS ever goes to halves instead of quarters, they'll add a fourth full timeout for each team.

As for NCAA, timeouts mean commercials means money.

No, not going to happen.

Current rule disrupts flow of game in last 2 or 3 minutes of the game. Between intentional fouls and TOs, some games become a farce. Granted the team trailing on scoreboard is trying to win, but some games take it too far.

As for the NCAA, commericals have ruined the sport. I read an article last week where a reporter did some research on the college game. Almost 1 hour of each game is spent on TOs.

My favorite is when coaches call a time out 2 seconds before a scheduled media time out.

Well, HR6, while I agree with you somewhat on college TO's and TV timeouts, your OP refers to the high school TO rule and I recall over the years you saying you've coached before. Now, as a coach, how would you feel if, in the waning seconds of a game with your team down by a point, your point guard is trapped or about to have a 5-count on him? You cannot call time out, having used up your (reduced allotment under your proposal) last TO back at start of second half when your team gave up three consecutive baskets by being in wrong defense, or whatever. There are numerous other reasons to use time outs strategically at end of games, if not, the last couple of minutes of some high school games would be fairly ugly to say the least.

Give credit to the defense.

I see what you are saying, but many high school games the first 3 1/2 quarters there is good basketball, but the last 3 or 4 minutes become a FT shooting contest, with teams walking up and down the court to the FT line. More often than not the team calling all the TOs still ends up losing.

I was scouting once, and there was a JV game in which there was 2:32 left when I entered the gym. 27 minutes later the game ended.

That's why good teams/coaches practice free throws
3dgrin.r191677.gif

I like for games to be decided before the 2 minute mark, thus eliminating the need for a FT contest.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT