ADVERTISEMENT

Trial date set for LCA's suit against VHSL

Based on what I know now is, LCA's best evidence is the 46 or 47 states that already allow it.

That's a precedent and a potential real life example that a particular remedy could be granted but, without a lot more details and discussion of the the structures of the individual state associations it is difficult to comment on its relevance to the case in Virginia or its quality as evidence or support for the argument. Should be very interesting to follow the discussions going forward and to see the actual discovery and information made public.

To keep things stirred up, don't forget that a majority, (I think I'm correct)), of state haved passed a Tebow bill. Logic would assume that there is a large amount of supporting evidence for this also.

With respect to the LCA case, if LCA prevails, I expect just as much requirement for the VHSL to accomadate the unique differences of private schools, as will be required in reverse. I think the courts will treat both organizations with equal trust to enforce the rules.

This will be a very big adjustment for the private schools. I think for the most part the associations that the private schools are members of are essentially powerless to enforce their association rules. Especially with respect to recruiting. And specifically with respect to basketball.

But, I do not think very many private schools will avail themselves to the conditional opportunity to compete against public schools.

There are a lot of private schools who are nothing more than basketball schools. At least LCA is a school first, and athletics are somewhere down the line.

Most schools try to find 10 games for the year and LCA struggles to find 9. Last year they only had 8. The problem is there are only 13 private schools that are Division I and of those only about half have enrollment numbers that are 70% of LCA'S.

When I went to school there they had about 1/4 of the enrollment that they have now. The schedule used to consist of teams like the 3 military schools, North Cross, and VES. I don't think they play any of them anymore because they have double to quadruple the enrollment of those schools now.

Over the years they have played a few public schools but with the different rules that has become increasingly difficult. LCA definitely has scheduling problems, but is the VHSL to blame in any way?

What would that reason be? There are some states that allow the public and private to mix. I'm not saying I am in favor of that at all. I don't know what their system is, but common sense should tell everyone that if you allow private schools in and allow them to continue to get players from across school division lines, then you would have to allow public schools to do the same, and I think we all know where that would lead, and it's not a good place. I understand why parents send their kids to private schools today, more than ever, and I do not blame them at all. In some cases, private provides the religious based education families want that the public school no longer has any interest in doing, in fact, even campaigning against Christianity it seems at times. But there are also academic reasons. They don't herd them through like public schools. Academic expectations are usually higher. I have also read where teachers at private schools are far more serious, and are judged differently, not as part of a public union where you keep your job even though you do a lousy one. And then the athletic reasons for going to private school are becoming more attractive all the time. I understand all these things. Our world, our society, and the attitude of public education is the reason for this, and again, I don't blame any parent for sending their children to private school, however, it still puzzles me how they would co-exist in athletics.

Originally posted by blue bomber:
What would that reason be? There are some states that allow the public and private to mix. I'm not saying I am in favor of that at all. I don't know what their system is, but common sense should tell everyone that if you allow private schools in and allow them to continue to get players from across school division lines, then you would have to allow public schools to do the same
That is not at all the way that it works in Ohio, a state that mixes publics and privates

I had no use for private schools at one time, but after spending some time around LCA and getting to know several teachers, my opinion of private schools changed. The discipline of LCA students as compared to those in public schools is off the charts. There is a difference in teachers also as stated by above post.

So what are some details of the experience in Ohio? For that matter, any state that is in the same situation?

Originally posted by DinwiddieProud:
So what are some details of the experience in Ohio? For that matter, any state that is in the same situation?
Privates recruit, publics cannot.

Privates play in higher classes by multiplying their enrollment by a factor which moves them up.

For example, a private school with 500 students is multiplied by 1.8 (I think) which pushes them into a class with public that has 900 students.

If LCA's current enrollment was used and they were allowed in the VHSL using other state's enrollment adjustment (between 1.5 & 1.8) they would be at the cutoff for 4a/5a. Last figures I have show 415 boys. For simplification I assumed the same number of girls to come up with 830 students. If you multiply by a factor of 1.5, you get 1245. If you use 1.8, you get 1494. I think LCA would be competitive at either level, but I don't think they would dominate like some have suggested.

This was from a couple of years ago. Nice to see Virginia's going backwards. Almost without exception the states that mix the schools are dominated by the private schools and many states are trying to separate them. Virginia we haven't dealt with that, because the private schools didn't ever even want to play the public schools after integration.

Thank goodness we're toying with switching to a system that doesn't seem to be working other places. This article's a couple of years old, but you can find stuff like this all over the internet. Pretty much ever state where they mix them up.

Article

You have not met them all, they have trouble just like public schools

Then why are they suing to get in the VHSL because of the athletic games?

I agree 100% especially with your last statement. I have always said that

Rod, is that the way it was intentionally laid out so it would level the playing field?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT