ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATED Dec 12th west girls Basketball Rankings by Champ Rankings all divisions

Nov 20, 2018
hello everyone
Let me start with some basic info about me
why?
Because for some reason chat boards all try to figure out who you are and why you are here
I Graduated 5 daughters. Yes 5 daughters
I have strong ties to Deep South VA where 2 of my 5 Daughters graduated. I've spent most of the last 20 years in Western PA where some of my daughters now teach and coach. I've been back in VA for almost 3 years now and spend a lot of time watching basketball. I have multiple granddaughters and 1 Grandson none of which are highschool age yet but I can't wait until they are.

I use to referee years ago for a few years and now have several friends that continue to referee. Yes they are older like me and need to retire

So I've spent a lot of time watching some teams over the past few years and thought it would be fun to rank the teams and see where the debate takes us. I started some rankings on a Deep South board but most in that area wish to only talk about south west teams. I understand that so I thought I would bring the debate to this board.

I still travel some for work and I usually take in several games in different areas however I usually don't travel much to the East. So these rankings will be based on Divisions 1-5 on the west side .

No I haven't seen everyone and I'm not entirely sure what everyone has coming back so feel free to pick my list apart and tell me why I'm wrong.
As the season goes on we all will see how close we can get the list or rather how accurate.

last year my final rankings where really close and most all the teams made Deep runs into the playoffs. So please feel free to debate the rankings

Also East side feel free to place your top teams in the mix. Unfortunately I won't be able to keep up with your teams much but we can still debate them.

Rankings to come in just a bit. I can't wait to hear how stupid I am

1. Lord Botetourt ( defending 3A champion )
2. William Fleming ( 5A finalist round of 8 )
3. Central Wise ( 2 time Defending 2 A champ)
4. PM ( 2 time defending 1 A Champ )
5. Carroll County ( 4 A final 8 )
6. Abingdon ( final 4 in 3 A division )
7. Patrick Henry Patriots ( 5A )
8. Christiansburg ( 3A)
9. Virginia High ( 2A Final four )
10. Ridgeview ( 2A)

On the Bubble
> Galax ( 1 A )
> Union ( 2 A )
> Floyd county ( 2 A )
> Gretna ( 2 A )

Gretna beat Union and Central Wise in holiday tournament.

It wasn't a tournament per se... it was a jamboree. Games didn't count any in the overall records for the teams, but that is still pretty dang impressive.

I'll definitely be keeping tabs on the Hawks as the season progresses and we get closer to playoff time.

That's certainly eye opening. I've only watched Gretna 1 time and that was last year. Things may shake up rather fast this year. What was the Central Wise Score? That's really eye opening

44-43 I believe...

edit: That was the score of Gretna-Union. Gretna and Central was 37-36.

44-43 I believe...

edit: That was the score of Gretna-Union. Gretna and Central was 37-36.

Two quality wins for sure I think both Union and Wise are very strong programs. Gretna could make some noise this year. I'm sure they will be happy to know that Champrankings have them on our radar

PREVIOUS RANK

1. Lord Botetourt ( defending 3A champion )
2. William Fleming ( 5A finalist round of 8 )
3. Central Wise ( 2 time Defending 2 A champ)
4. PM ( 2 time defending 1 A Champ )
5. Carroll County ( 4 A final 8 )
6. Abingdon ( final 4 in 3 A division )
7. Patrick Henry Patriots ( 5A )
8. Christiansburg ( 3A)
9. Virginia High ( 2A Final four )
10. Ridgeview ( 2A)

On the Bubble
> Galax ( 1 A )
> Union ( 2 A )
> Floyd county ( 2 A )
> Gretna ( 2 A )

NEW RANKINGS

1. LB
2 william Fleming
3 PM
4 patrick Henry Patroits
5 Central Wise
6 carrol county
7 abingdon
8 Christianburgh
9 Gretna
10 VA HIGH

Bubble

Ridgeview
Galax
Union

Previous rank

1. LB
2 william Fleming
3 PM
4 patrick Henry Patroits
5 Central Wise
6 carrol county
7 abingdon
8 Christianburgh
9 Gretna
10 VA HIGH

Bubble

Ridgeview
Galax
Union

NEW RANKINGS DEC 6th

1. LB
2 William Fleming
3 PM
4 patrick Henry Patroits
5 christiansburh
6 Central Wise
7 Gretna
8 Carrol County
9 abingdon
10 Va High

Bubble

Ridgeview
Galax
Union

All I will say is that you should look at William Monroe high school. Their star player is a Notre Dame commit and is the number one ranked player in her class. And now there are two transfers that will make this team incredibly tough. They are 3A Located in Greene County

All I will say is that you should look at William Monroe high school. Their star player is a Notre Dame commit and is the number one ranked player in her class. And now there are two transfers that will make this team incredibly tough. They are 3A Located in Greene County

Yes I've heard about her and the Monroe team
I rarley travel that far and most of my knowledge is South to SouthWest VA.
The rankings I'm using are only based on the West division teams. It certainly sounds like either Christianburgh or LB ( if they make it ) could be seeing Monroe in Richmond this year.

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
NewNEW RANKINGS DEC 6th

1. LB
2 William Fleming
3 PM
4 patrick Henry Patroits
5 christiansburg
6 Central Wise
7 Gretna
8 Abingdon
9 VA High
10 Ridgeview

Bubble

Galax
Union
Carrol county

Last edited:
Reactions: pizzzzza
Ridgeview beat the number 1 ranked 1A team in Kentucky (Pikeville) by 10 the other night and it would have been much worse if they hadn't missed 17 free throws.

Ridgeview is definitely ranked too low.

Also, Christiansburg is spelled Christiansburg............:)

Ridgeview beat the number 1 ranked 1A team in Kentucky (Pikeville) by 10 the other night and it would have been much worse if they hadn't missed 17 free throws.

I saw that score and moved them into the top 10
I know how good ridgeview can be. Last year was a down year for their standards. I do believe they will move up quickly. I know many have them ahead of Central this year but I wanted to give Central the respect they deserve early in the season

I would think that both Martinsville and Magna Vista would have to be on the bubble (or better). Magna Vista beat Carroll last night by 19.

1. Some strong matchups tonight on the top 10

12/7/18

GALAX VS Carrol County
    VA HIGH vs Abingdon
    PM VS Spotswood

Honaker vs Lebanon Maybe not a strong matchup yet but a good one for Honaker. Lebanon is playing some solid basketball

Ridgeview is definitely ranked too low.

Also, Christiansburg is spelled Christiansburg............:)

The M7 is still stacked my friend...

Gate City is looking good in the early going, Union is looking great, however depth will hurt them as they only have seven players dressing out. Abingdon will be tough again but won't matter of course to our grand scheme of things after the district tournament. Central just reloads.

Then you have Virginia High in the Southwest. Winning the M7 regular season is so important because you've got to do all you can to avoid that semifinal regional matchup with Virginia High. The regional is on the Bearcats home floor this year as well.

NewNEW RANKINGS DEC 6th

1. LB
2 William Fleming
3 PM
4 patrick Henry Patroits
5 christiansburg
6 Central Wise
7 Gretna
8 Abingdon
9 VA High
10 Ridgeview

Bubble

Galax
Union
Carrol county

Patrick Henry scored 62 points in the first half last night against GW-Danville....

That January matchup with William Fleming should be a doozy!

1. Some strong matchups tonight on the top 10

12/7/18

GALAX VS Carrol County
    VA HIGH vs Abingdon
    PM VS Spotswood
Honaker vs Lebanon Maybe not a strong matchup yet but a good one for Honaker. Lebanon is playing some solid basketball

Spotswood vs PM should be a very good barometer for both teams tonight.

Shelby Valley beat Central.

Ridgeview throttled Shelby Valley at their place in a scrimmage.... Union throttled Shelby Valley last night. If Union don't get exhausted from lack of depth they may be the team to beat in the M7 this year.

Shelby Valley beat Central.

Ridgeview throttled Shelby Valley at their place in a scrimmage.... Union throttled Shelby Valley last night. If Union don't get exhausted from lack of depth they may be the team to beat in the M7 this year.

I'm surprised that of all 3 teams that played Shelby Valley, that Central would be the one to lose.

I stand corrected... Union plays Shelby Valley tomorrow night. They played Rural Retreat last night. Lebanon was the one that beat Shelby Valley last night by two. Thanks to coach Frazier for correcting me... Lol

Serena Lytton scored 30 points, including five 3-pointers, to carry Patrick Henry to a 101-80 win over host Salem in a nondistrict girls basketball game on Friday night.

Old rankings

1. LB
2 William Fleming
3 PM
4 patrick Henry Patroits
5 christiansburg
6 Central Wise
7 Gretna
8 Abingdon
9 VA High
10 Ridgeview

Bubble

Galax
Union
Carrol county

NEW RANKINGS DEC 12th

1. LB ( good start )
2. William Fleming ( good start )
3. Patrick Henry Patroits ( good start )
4 manga Vista
5 PM ( Scratching my head over the last game )
6 central wise( lost but rebounded the next game )
7 VA high
8 Christianburg
9 ridgeview
10 union

Bubble

Abingdon
Carrol county
GALAX
GATE CITY

Last edited:
Your not a fan ?
I think it takes a while to work these things out. What would you change ? I wished the Union VS Ridgeview game would have played the other night but we will have to wait

For one thing, Ridgeview beat Pikeville (number 1 1A team in the state in Kentucky) who beat Shelby Valley (defending 2A runner up in Kentucky) who beat Wise Central, yet Wise Central is still 4 spots ahead of Ridgeview?

To be honest, Gate City may be the team to beat in the M7 with this 6'2 transfer they have. If there's one thing Ridgeview struggles with, it's size. We've struggled against Cvetnich of Wise Central until she gets in foul trouble. Union has no depth... their starting 5 are very good, but with only 2 bench players, it'll be a challenge to not fatigue in the grueling M7.

For one thing, Ridgeview beat Pikeville (number 1 1A team in the state in Kentucky) who beat Shelby Valley (defending 2A runner up in Kentucky) who beat Wise Central, yet Wise Central is still 4 spots ahead of Ridgeview?

To be honest, Gate City may be the team to beat in the M7 with this 6'2 transfer they have. If there's one thing Ridgeview struggles with, it's size. We've struggled against Cvetnich of Wise Central until she gets in foul trouble. Union has no depth... their starting 5 are very good, but with only 2 bench players, it'll be a challenge to not fatigue in the grueling M7.

I can't disagree but I'm trying to let these teams that have proven themselves last year lose a couple games first and the teams that are rebuilt or back such as ridgeview show themselves first.

Ridgeview looks to be back in full force. I agree with that but I think the others deserve respect at the begining. That's just my spin on thigs.

Just like adingdon we all knew they would be down a bit but I wanted to let them play themselves out of the rankings first

I appreciate your input though I can tell your very informed in the M7. I always value your opinion.

I know it's hard to try and rank the entire west all divisions but I wanted to give it a try and will continue to try. I find it challenging and fun

I would love to see your early list of a full ranking of the west using all the teams. My main problem is getting enough feed back and eyes on some of the locations. But I still enjoy it

We moved about 45 min south of Roanoke this past summer so even the M7 is getting harder for me to follow as good as I did last year.

NewI'm sorry everyone but I've spent a little time in the hospital outside of western PA. I had a little set back with some treatments and I haven't been able to follow the teams or rankings that well lately. I hope to research and catch up soon.

More importantly I hope to make a few games soon. What big games are coming up? I know of a few but I'm wondering if the weather changed any dates.

5-on-5, Union could compete with any team in 2A. But as havoc noted, the Bears have zero depth and the gauntlet that is the M7 is brutal without depth.

But I would consider dropping VHS. They haven't been nearly as good this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT