ADVERTISEMENT

Valley Area Teams Represent Well in First Round-On to Semi-Finals!

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
For the purpose of this discussion, there were ten teams that made the playoffs Friday night if you count current Shenandoah District members, current Valley District members, and the teams that were in the Shenandoah prior to making the move to the Bull Run this season. Of those ten, five were victorious (Riverheads, Stuarts Draft, East Rockingham, Rockbridge County, and Spotswood) and three others (Page County, Harrisonburg, and Turner Ashby) fought to the bitter end in their games, each losing by less than a touchdown margin. Even the remaining two teams (Luray and Buffalo Gap) gave a decent account of themselves in their games.

All things considered, that was a very respectable first-round effort so let's do our usual thing and speculate on what will happen this weekend in the various regional semi-finals. I presume most of these, if not all, will still be played on Friday night.

Class 1 Region B Semi-final....Franklin at Riverheads.....These two have limited history, having played only once before (a 35-8 state semi-final win for RHS at Franklin in 2010) and of course they have no common opponents this season. Some of the Broncos supporters are saying they will play tough, despite their record, but of course Riverheads will as well. So rest assured that there will be no wholesale substitutions, no rested starters, and no first-down field goal attempts in this one. Therefore it should simply come down to who has the best team. Riverheads certainly looks better on paper and probably by a healthy margin, but then that is why they play the games.

Class 2, Region B Semi-final......Strasburg at Stuarts Draft.......This is an unexpected match-up, as most folks were assuming a return trip to Cougar Country for Luray would be in the cards. But the Rams had other ideas and as a result, we now have two teams that likely know very little about one another. If they have ever played, I personally cannot remember it. (How about it Gunz?) SD seems to have found its mojo again after the Riverheads shellacking and should be favored in this one, but then the Rams have an impressive post-season history of their own. Look for this one to be pretty tight for a 5 at 1 pairing.

Class 2, Region B Semi-final.........East Rockingham at Buckingham.........Every year at playoff time, there seems to be that one team with a lower seed that peaks at the right time, plays its absolute best, and pulls off one or more unexpected upsets. The Eagles did so on Friday night at Clarke and just might do it again this time. Buckingham on the other hand just barely escaped in overtime against Page, and if I remember ER beat Page by just a smidgen during the regular season. I actually predicted an Eagle win at Clarke so I may as well go with them a second time.......since an East Rock/Stuarts Draft match-up for the regional title would be of MAJOR interest to local fans.

Class 3, Region C Semi-final.........Rockbridge County at Spotswood........This is the only game in this group that will feature teams that are very well-acquainted with one another. It is also a case of good news/bad news. The good news is that we are therefore guaranteed that at least one local team will advance to a regional final. The bad news is that whoever wins this one draws Heritage next, and will certainly have its hands full that night. But first things first...I believe the Wood won big in Lexington this year, something like 35-10 if I recall, so with home field advantage, they would have to be the favorite. But the Wildcats have been known to pull off some shockers here and there, so I would not bet the rent on it if I were you.

@longtimerhsfan, great breakdown of the upcoming week in the area. I would like to add a point or two for these matchups.

Class 1- First I agree that Franklin appears overmatched on paper but they are a young team and have improved as the season progressed. I would give them a punchers chance in this one but do not doubt that they will play hard for the full 48 minutes. In my opinion this could be a good opportunity to forge next years team for them and show this young team what they want to work on. This is said with all due respect as they did what few others thought in going to Central Lunenburg and winning.

Class 2- In regards to the SD/Strasburg game it will likely come down to turnovers. I believe both can score but the defense for Draft has been solid all year whereas Strasburg has had an uh oh here or there. If they play the game as tight as they had with Luray the past two weeks, then its a ballgame. If not they will get rolled big. I don't see an in between game here of 10-20 points. IMO the margin is either an extremely tight game under a score or a blowout by Draft.

I have a rooting interest in having East Rock advance as it would change the narrative on what the Bull Run/Shenandoah is capable of in the playoffs. When it comes to Buckingham, I can only go off of what has been communicated on here. Sounds like they are a smash mouth team that has a win over a very capable Appomattox. I personally think that is the type of game that gives this years ER team some trouble. Case in point was the first game with Clarke Co where Rutherford ran at will on them and their inability to stop the power running of Riverheads. Now comes last week where Clarke is not as effective running the ball and the ER team looks like world beaters. Couple this with the Page/Buckingham game and I have to say that this one is much more of a toss up than I originally thought. There have been posts referring to an injury or two for the home team which may impact this game. That all said, if put on a spot I would have to take Buckingham in a close one but do not be too surprised if the team from Elkton comes out with a victory.

Class 3- This should be confirmation of how much better Spotswood is than the other Valley teams this year but anything can happen in a rematch. I do not think Rockbridge Co can stop the Trailblazers run game but that's why they play the game. In my selfish mean spirit, I want SHS to hang half a hundred on them but I still cant trust them in the playoffs. I do look for a win from the bunch from Penn Laird but it may be a much better game if RC can get on track.

The thing to remember about the games across all classifications, these are 15-18 year old young men. There are a lot of things going on in their head so its never quite as easy to predict HS games as college or professional. Good luck and safe travels to the road teams and fans.

As an interesting sidenote, the CalPreps site that does game predictions has ER winning at Buckingham 24-23. It is within the margin of error for their program but they do have about 80% success rate predicting games. Which is a far sight better than my avg, lol.

As an interesting sidenote, the CalPreps site that does game predictions has ER winning at Buckingham 24-23. It is within the margin of error for their program but they do have about 80% success rate predicting games. Which is a far sight better than my avg, lol.
Hope and pray they're wrong. Buckingham have never in the history of our school lost a playoff game at home.

I would say its gonna be a close game if the players mentioned in other threads are not able to play. If BC is at full strength then I would say its a 10 point or more win for Buckingham. ER is a quality team and just hadn't found their identity in the early season when they lost 3 games out of the first 4 to Spotswood (3A 2nd seed Region B), Riverheads (1A 1st seed Region B) and Clarke Co (2A 3rd seed Region B). In my opinion I think the QB was trying to do too much early and wasn't comfortable running their offense. They are much more of a balanced team now and have some decent skill guys to compliment his athleticism. Defensively their LB play was horrible early but they are almost back to the dominance that they showed flashes of last year. I truly believe this to be one of the toss up games in this round with all due respect to both teams.

Reactions: BCKnights
Can you post the calprep predictions? Keeps only showing games from last week for me.

2A PLAYOFFS
Glenvar (Salem, VA) at Appomattox County (Appomattox, VA), 7:00pm [projection: Appomattox County (Appomattox, VA) 28-22]
East Rockingham (Elkton, VA) at Buckingham (VA), 7:00pm [projection: East Rockingham (Elkton, VA) 24-23]
Graham (Bluefield, VA) vs. Union (Appalachia, VA) at Bullit Park (Big Stone Gap, VA), 7:00pm [projection: Graham (Bluefield, VA) 28-22]
Gretna (VA) at Radford (VA), 7:00pm [projection: Radford (VA) 24-22]
Jefferson (Richmond, VA) vs. Greensville County (Emporia, VA) at Huguenot (Richmond, VA), 7:00pm [projection: Jefferson [Thomas] (Richmond, VA) 42-21]
Poquoson (VA) at King William (VA) [projection: King William (VA) 35-31]
Central (Norton, VA) at Ridgeview (Clintwood, VA) [projection: Ridgeview (Clintwood, VA) 41-27]
Strasburg (VA) at Stuarts Draft (VA), 7:00pm [projection: Stuarts Draft (VA) 31-17]

For the purpose of this discussion, there were ten teams that made the playoffs Friday night if you count current Shenandoah District members, current Valley District members, and the teams that were in the Shenandoah prior to making the move to the Bull Run this season. Of those ten, five were victorious (Riverheads, Stuarts Draft, East Rockingham, Rockbridge County, and Spotswood) and three others (Page County, Harrisonburg, and Turner Ashby) fought to the bitter end in their games, each losing by less than a touchdown margin. Even the remaining two teams (Luray and Buffalo Gap) gave a decent account of themselves in their games.

All things considered, that was a very respectable first-round effort so let's do our usual thing and speculate on what will happen this weekend in the various regional semi-finals. I presume most of these, if not all, will still be played on Friday night.

Class 1 Region B Semi-final....Franklin at Riverheads.....These two have limited history, having played only once before (a 35-8 state semi-final win for RHS at Franklin in 2010) and of course they have no common opponents this season. Some of the Broncos supporters are saying they will play tough, despite their record, but of course Riverheads will as well. So rest assured that there will be no wholesale substitutions, no rested starters, and no first-down field goal attempts in this one. Therefore it should simply come down to who has the best team. Riverheads certainly looks better on paper and probably by a healthy margin, but then that is why they play the games.

Class 2, Region B Semi-final......Strasburg at Stuarts Draft.......This is an unexpected match-up, as most folks were assuming a return trip to Cougar Country for Luray would be in the cards. But the Rams had other ideas and as a result, we now have two teams that likely know very little about one another. If they have ever played, I personally cannot remember it. (How about it Gunz?) SD seems to have found its mojo again after the Riverheads shellacking and should be favored in this one, but then the Rams have an impressive post-season history of their own. Look for this one to be pretty tight for a 5 at 1 pairing.

Class 2, Region B Semi-final.........East Rockingham at Buckingham.........Every year at playoff time, there seems to be that one team with a lower seed that peaks at the right time, plays its absolute best, and pulls off one or more unexpected upsets. The Eagles did so on Friday night at Clarke and just might do it again this time. Buckingham on the other hand just barely escaped in overtime against Page, and if I remember ER beat Page by just a smidgen during the regular season. I actually predicted an Eagle win at Clarke so I may as well go with them a second time.......since an East Rock/Stuarts Draft match-up for the regional title would be of MAJOR interest to local fans.

Class 3, Region C Semi-final.........Rockbridge County at Spotswood........This is the only game in this group that will feature teams that are very well-acquainted with one another. It is also a case of good news/bad news. The good news is that we are therefore guaranteed that at least one local team will advance to a regional final. The bad news is that whoever wins this one draws Heritage next, and will certainly have its hands full that night. But first things first...I believe the Wood won big in Lexington this year, something like 35-10 if I recall, so with home field advantage, they would have to be the favorite. But the Wildcats have been known to pull off some shockers here and there, so I would not bet the rent on it if I were you.
both franklin and rhs played colonial beach, rhs w

rhs and franklin both played colonial beach, rhs won 55 to 15 and colonial beach beat franklin 32 to 24

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT