ADVERTISEMENT

VHSL playoff system is flawed!

VerizonSportsFan

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 2, 2003
With 6 classifications which is way too many, why does VHSL see a need to send loser's of reg'l championship games to the state tournament?

With the old system of A, AA, AAA - - I kinda of got why they sent reg'l title game losers to the state tourney but with 6 classifications, there is no need to continue that.

Why is VHSL dragging this thing out to mid-June? I think MD finishes their state tournaments up before June 1st. VHSL needs to follow what the state of MD is doing.

I get what your saying, and I agree with you 100 percent. also, would really suck for Millbrook if they lost to Sherando in the state final after beating them so many times this year. I don't think the scenario will happen, but I agree shouldn't be a situation that could happen anyway.

I think all of post season should be one and done format. win and move on . lose and get ready for summer ball.

Agree but two 21-1 teams should not play each other and a 12-7 remain playing. VHSL needs to re-evaluate their entire playoff system, just my opinion

I can see having more than one team from a conference advancing to regional competition based on the imbalanced structure of the conferences. But, I don't see any point in having a regional runner-up advance to state competition. The two regional champions should play for the state championship.

I understand your point of view, but look at how softball for 3A worked out, some years the best two teams could be in the same region. Turner Ashby softball I believe was 25-2 with their only two losses coming to Brookville in the region championship and state championship game. Because of time constraints and/or travel, VHSL will never do a best of 3 series in a tournament or a double elimination tournament like the NCAA, so by allowing the two best teams from the conference and region to move on I think is actually a good move. I do think there can be some changes made as far as how teams are seeded in the region.

The VHSL should eliminate conference tournaments and use the same format they use in football for all sports.

money, money, money

Those money sucking leaches. Its all aboout the $$$$$>$. Forget the kid, parents, etc....,.SHOW US THE $$$$$$$$$$

Re: money, money, money

WOW Charlie, tell us how you really feel. Just kidding. I wish the VHSL would take an opportunity to explain or defend themselves. I can't disagree with your opinion, I just hate to believe that a money culture drives their decisions.

In some parts of Virginia, schools can align conferences and districts to overlap in some classifications. However, in most parts of Virginia, that won't be possible for all classifications. Some schools are closer to and have stronger rivalries/relationships with nearby schools from different classifications instead of conference schools farther away. Maybe the VHSL should bite the bullet and eliminate the districts, but it certainly won't be popular in all corners. Some schools will have to travel a lot more and play teams that won't draw crowds and ticket revenue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT