ADVERTISEMENT

Warm-ups during playoffs

DMSpartan

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Feb 22, 2002
Is the rule still that teams may not begin warm-ups before 20 minutes before game time? And what is the reason that there seem to be coaches who want to "bend" the warm-up rule to the maximum? Is this a result of players playing AAU basketball?

At the Seigel Center for the state semis and finals the teams are only allowed 20 minutes of warm up and the officials come out at the 20 minute mark also. I guess they don't want any dunking in pregame so no one will get hurt or tear dowwn the backboard.

I think that would depend on whether the teams do some stretching in the locker room before coming to the floor. And the longer time gives both the scorekeepers a chance to finish the book and the officials to count the players and talk with the captains.

But the 20-minute rule does extend into the regional play-offs as well, doesn't it? And there are a great many coaches who have their teams come to the gyms early for "shoot-arounds" so as not to get caught by either the officials or the other team. I believe that there should be an annual test - something like the SOL's for coaches - to keep them current on the rule book.
This post was edited on 2/22 2:17 PM by DMSpartan

Passing the rules test is one thing, and then abiding by it, could be another. Like the Sugar Bowl ref who screwed VT on the replay. he probably had passed a test somewhere along the way, but calling play by rules was absent. and I am sure all umpires could quote strike zone IAW rule book, but how many call games IAW rule book when behind plate.
This post was edited on 2/22 2:33 PM by Hampton Roads 6

If coaches do not attend the state meeting or watch on line, then they have to take the same test as the officials.

Thought you got away with that HR6

It wasn't a catch in the Sugar Bowl- good call by the crew on replay. they got it right.

Re: Thought you got away with that HR6

You.............and the crooked replay ref must have watched a different play on the replay than i did

You do make me laught, HR6

A good way to start the day.

It wasn't a catch- get over it. Want to win next time? Score more points.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT