ADVERTISEMENT

Warning shot for rest of 2A Poquoson goes down

Have any of you seen Poq play?
I have a hudl account I haven't seen them play live. They are a solid team that will make a deep run but when they meet speed and size like Appomattox or Union they will struggle. They remind me of last year Stuart's Draft team. I actually think the style they play could probably beat Union who has struggled against power run teams like Clarke but Appomattox speed will be the difference on both sides of the ball. Again I think they are solid but lacks speed where needed. Final four very possible.

Reactions: obguthr
5 of the 7 games, and will be at 1 of the last 3 in the regular season. I've seen Goochland as well. I think it's an absolute toss-up with them and Poqouson. That's my honest opinion. Why would I pick Poqouson? I'm a fan. Poqouson is coached at a crazy good level, and again, from tackle to tackle, I'm hopeful that matters in quarter 4.
Poquoson would probably beat Goochland from what I saw against Buckingham. We had serveral chances in that game.

Poquoson would probably beat Goochland from what I saw against Buckingham. We had serveral chances in that game.

Watched it. I know you don't want critique of BC, but your team is one coach away from being a contender year in and year out. I saw athletism all over the field, but for the love of God, those athletes were placed in the worst position possible to use their talent and speed in open space. Some may think this is hyperbole (and I don't give a dam#), but if Appo's coach or Poqousons or Richlands coach is inserted at BC at the beginning of the season for this year, they are a final 8 team. And....after being at that program for more than 1 year, they would be a regular late-deep contender in the playoffs. Just my opinions

You right its complete turmoil. We only lose 5 seniors and get a handful of players back that wouldn't play for this dude. Our players dont like what he did at Cumberland Friday night either because they are friends with those players. While we're at itapologize for kiddie stuff man especially the mama comment truly apologize I think we both are grown men and should act like it.

I know this thread was created to get back at lucustookis, but Poquoson did lose to a good 4A team w/a qb that just committed to JMU. I think the weather contributed to the outcome, but no excuses...nice win for Smithfield.

You right its complete turmoil. We only lose 5 seniors and get a handful of players back that wouldn't play for this dude. Our players dont like what he did at Cumberland Friday night either because they are friends with those players. While we're at itapologize for kiddie stuff man especially the mama comment truly apologize I think we both are grown men and should act like it.

No need to apologize dude. You were defending your team and I don't blame you. Same here, apology given. Overall, I think dialogue and discussion are a great thing and it's far more productive in my opinion, with the exchanges we have had compared to simply "little or no discussion" at all. That's only my take and the "mama" comment was not taken personal. As for your original premise regarding Appo and Poquoson, you are right. I still actually agree with you. Appo I don't think is quite as good as last year, but they were at least 4 touchdowns better than everybody else last year, this year, it might be down to 14-17 points better for the next closest team and they are like Riverheads in Class A. Until somebody at the Class AA level beats em, don't pick against them.

Reactions: gwb16 and BCKnights
I have a hudl account I haven't seen them play live. They are a solid team that will make a deep run but when they meet speed and size like Appomattox or Union they will struggle. They remind me of last year Stuart's Draft team. I actually think the style they play could probably beat Union who has struggled against power run teams like Clarke but Appomattox speed will be the difference on both sides of the ball. Again I think they are solid but lacks speed where needed. Final four very possible.

A power run team isn't going to beat this year's Union team. The front seven on defense is the best since consolidation, no school has ran for close to a hundred yards on the Bears. A team that spreads it out and uses entire field with playmakers will give Union trouble but the Bears are excellent against a power run attack, I really dont sée that style being able to beat this year's Union team.

Reactions: BCKnights
I know this thread was created to get back at lucustookis, but Poquoson did lose to a good 4A team w/a qb that just committed to JMU. I think the weather contributed to the outcome, but no excuses...nice win for Smithfield.

I watched Smithfield and credit them and their QB, but Poqouson could not move the ball. They limited us to 135ydsish of offense. Their defense was crazy good. We turned over also, and to's against a team like Smithfield added to their defensive prowess gets a loss.

I watched Smithfield and credit them and their QB, but Poqouson could not move the ball. They limited us to 135ydsish of offense. Their defense was crazy good. We turned over also, and to's against a team like Smithfield added to their defensive prowess gets a loss.

Yep, turning the ball over 4 times against a good defense is hard to overcome...would like to see Poquoson step up their offense.

Yep, turning the ball over 4 times against a good defense is hard to overcome...would like to see Poquoson step up their offense.
4 turnovers = 1 loss
I think that's called the George Allen rule. (after the coach, not the politician)

Puh-KOH-sun
"Bull Island" is just as useful if in the area, especially if traveling North-Northwest of Poquoson on 17 into Gloucester County in an area known as "Guinea." Much of these folks still regularly refer to it as Bull Island, as do some of the folks that live in the far Eastern part of the town of Poquoson near the Plum Tree Wildlife Refuge. Poqouson is unique with still many tough and rough folks that make their living on the water, and those of which are NASA scientists or Air Force members. I guess you get the toughness and the brains, and that kind of describes the Bull Islanders athletic teams. I know you asked only how to pronounce the name and didn't ask for a "Town history," so my apologies for that.

Last edited:
....the far Eastern part of the town of Poquoson near the Plum Tree Wildlife Refuge
Otherwise known as Messick. Some of the "saltiest" folks I ever knew live there. I called it home for 15 years.

Reactions: gwb16
A power run team isn't going to beat this year's Union team. The front seven on defense is the best since consolidation, no school has ran for close to a hundred yards on the Bears. A team that spreads it out and uses entire field with playmakers will give Union trouble but the Bears are excellent against a power run attack, I really dont sée that style being able to beat this year's Union team.
I thought Graham was the "team" from Region D this year?

I thought Graham was the "team" from Region D this year?

Union is undefeated and should finish #1 in the region. Graham, who should finish 2nd in the region, lost by inches, 17-14 to Bluefield (#1 team in WV) in which Graham fumbled at the 1 yard line while trying to score the game winning td in the first game of the year.

Most would agree that these two teams are by far the best two in region D (even though Marion is sitting at 8-0). Union is more of a power team and is better on the LOS. Graham is more of a finesse team with athletes at every position and speed all over the field. Both have good defenses. Union's is probably better, and get the statistical edge by keeping multiple teams under 100 yards this year, but Graham's has been good as well, only allowing 10 ppg.

Both teams have a Division 1 player that can take over the game at any time. Union has James Mitchell (#6 prospect in VA by rivals) who has offers from Clemson, VT, UGA, Miami, & WVU, among plenty of other ACC & SEC schools. Graham has Taymon Cooke who has been offered by Michigan State, WVU, UVA, Rutgers, ECU & a few others.

Both are great teams, but very different teams. If Union hadn't lost their QB to an ACL injury they'd be the clear favorites in my opinion but the way it stands now it could be a toss up. It'll be fun if they get to play each other.

Reactions: BigWinners
What he said. Graham looks to be rolling right now, but Union still sits at 8-0 with two winnable games left (at Abingdon, John Battle at home to end season) and will be a very tough out for any team this year.

Just Diesel's highlights. That may be all I need to see. He's a bruising runner. The OL plays well and the defense is well coached. Best team in the state? Maybe, maybe not. Top 10? Absolutely.
I couldnt get onto hudl but searching youtube i found this. Is this the same one? Thank you in advance.

I couldnt get onto hudl but searching youtube i found this. Is this the same one? Thank you in advance.

That be the one. He's a bad dude. Look around on the net at the videos of him playing defense at linebacker. I think there's one from his sophomore year. He absolutely pulverizes running backs. He's vicious and also he's a nasty dude on the wrestling mat. Henesey is about 210ish in football and bench presses 440 pounds, and he's not the strongest kid on the team. In that video, take a look at the lineplay. Very physical.

That be the one. He's a bad dude. Look around on the net at the videos of him playing defense at linebacker. I think there's one from his sophomore year. He absolutely pulverizes running backs. He's vicious and also he's a nasty dude on the wrestling mat. Henesey is about 210ish in football and bench presses 440 pounds, and he's not the strongest kid on the team. In that video, take a look at the lineplay. Very physical.

Is the OL a little down this year, lucus? I'm not sure what the Diesel's rushing stats look like at this point, but I don't think he's been ripping off a lot of runs like he did in the video....

Is the OL a little down this year, lucus? I'm not sure what the Diesel's rushing stats look like at this point, but I don't think he's been ripping off a lot of runs like he did in the video....

The carries are not as many this year. Poquoson has 2 other RB's that get carries. Poqouson's defense is very good this year, and I would say they are better on the defensive side (with their front 7) than the O Line from tackle to tackle.

The carries are not as many this year. Poquoson has 2 other RB's that get carries. Poqouson's defense is very good this year, and I would say they are better on the defensive side (with their front 7) than the O Line from tackle to tackle.

You mean Hicks and Green? I'd like to see the qb throw more short passes, as well as run...looks like he's got some wheels.

"Bull Island" is just as useful if in the area, especially if traveling North-Northwest of Poquoson on 17 into Gloucester County in an area known as "Guinea." Much of these folks still regularly refer to it as Bull Island, as do some of the folks that live in the far Eastern part of the town of Poquoson near the Plum Tree Wildlife Refuge. Poqouson is unique with still many tough and rough folks that make their living on the water, and those of which are NASA scientists or Air Force members. I guess you get the toughness and the brains, and that kind of describes the Bull Islanders athletic teams. I know you asked only how to pronounce the name and didn't ask for a "Town history," so my apologies for that.

True and honest assessment. I coached a Poquoson mitey mite team for 2 years (30 years ago), some of the toughest, most hard nosed 7,8 & 9 year old kids that I have ever ran across in my life. They don't have a "quit" DNA marker in their blood. The stories I could tell about some of those kids....classic Bull Islander tales.
I do love their spirit. They absolutely hate to lose and will run through walls to get the W. The thing that has always impressed me about them is they may not always have the most athletic talent on paper, but they are so disciplined and well coached that they make teams either look bad or cause them to alter their "normal" game plan. For that reason, I never discount a Bull Islander football team. they may not always win, but you will very rarely destroy that bunch. The year they went 0-10 (Coach Duty's first year I believe), they didn't lose a game by more than probably 10 points. Long, proud and salty history in that town. They love their HS sports teams, with a passion second to none.

You mean Hicks and Green? I'd like to see the qb throw more short passes, as well as run...looks like he's got some wheels.

Yep, both are pretty good. Bailey is going to be special in my opinion, especially as he adds more weight. He's just a sophomore. Parker can throw the ball, he's short for a QB at only about 5-9ish, but I would absolutely love more short-screen type passes to offset defenses that load the box on us, and most do load the box. He's just a junior. I think one thing that has hurt us some is size. This may be the smallest Poquoson team I've ever seen, at least in recent memory. I don't think we have a kid on our roster over 235 lbs, but man, they are strong. The size showed against Smithfield, but I still think that one is closer if we don't turn over as much as we did. Southampton was the biggest team we've played to date. They were huge across the line and we handled them pretty easily. I'm glad that was game one because Southampton has greatly improved from game one against us to now. They've won 4 in a row and 5 of the last 6 since losing to us. They may sneak up on a team like Phoebus or Norcom at the 3A level in the playoffs. Not saying they win, but they actually have some talent and their defense is getting better and better.

I agree 100% with this statement. I had the opportunity to watch Poquoson play New Kent and I love their defense! Very well coached and they flat out play good physical ball. Offense will be much improved over what I saw against New Kent as the playoffs start. You can see the talent and the scheme and it works well for them. Being a Goochlander I see a lot of similarities with the two programs. A game between the two would be a good matchup. Goochland's defense was very good last year and it is the same caliber this year. Not sure if your familiar with Goochland's coaching staff but it is top notch. Coach Fowler's record speaks for itself. I think both teams will be ready come playoff time.....

Reactions: BCKnights
Yep, both are pretty good. Bailey is going to be special in my opinion, especially as he adds more weight. He's just a sophomore. Parker can throw the ball, he's short for a QB at only about 5-9ish, but I would absolutely love more short-screen type passes to offset defenses that load the box on us, and most do load the box. He's just a junior. I think one thing that has hurt us some is size. This may be the smallest Poquoson team I've ever seen, at least in recent memory. I don't think we have a kid on our roster over 235 lbs, but man, they are strong. The size showed against Smithfield, but I still think that one is closer if we don't turn over as much as we did. Southampton was the biggest team we've played to date. They were huge across the line and we handled them pretty easily. I'm glad that was game one because Southampton has greatly improved from game one against us to now. They've won 4 in a row and 5 of the last 6 since losing to us. They may sneak up on a team like Phoebus or Norcom at the 3A level in the playoffs. Not saying they win, but they actually have some talent and their defense is getting better and better.

Based on what I've seen, Hicks is a good athlete and Green is fast in the open field...would like to see Hicks as more of a receiver so he can turn up field and do some damage after the catch.

32 looks like a very good runner, good strength and absolutely incredible balance and feet. He's able to maintain balance and stay on his feet in an impressive way. Good vision too, is able to find the right holes.

On a side note, that video had some really poor tackling lol. No leverage, kids not squaring up and wrapping up, etc..

Looks to me like there is a lot of D players that don't know how to tackle ! jmo

I saw a lot of poor tackling as well but it doesn't take away from 32s strength and skill. His balance is as good as I've seen in a while from a HS kid.

I saw a lot of poor tackling as well but it doesn't take away from 32s strength and skill. His balance is as good as I've seen in a while from a HS kid.

As lucus mentioned previously, he's also a wrestler...State Champ, I believe.

As lucus mentioned previously, he's also a wrestler...State Champ, I believe.

That explains his base strength and ability to stay on his feet. Wrestling is a great sport for a HS kid trying to stay in shape, it adds so much functional strength while also being in exceptional shape.

Some of that is pure natural talent but wrestling for sure helps with balance and core strength.

I agree 100% with this statement. I had the opportunity to watch Poquoson play New Kent and I love their defense! Very well coached and they flat out play good physical ball. Offense will be much improved over what I saw against New Kent as the playoffs start. You can see the talent and the scheme and it works well for them. Being a Goochlander I see a lot of similarities with the two programs. A game between the two would be a good matchup. Goochland's defense was very good last year and it is the same caliber this year. Not sure if your familiar with Goochland's coaching staff but it is top notch. Coach Fowler's record speaks for itself. I think both teams will be ready come playoff time.....

I've seen Goochland about 4-5 times in the last 7 years. Incredibly, incredibly well coached and much like Poquoson in my opinion. I think Goochland and Poquson is would be one heck of a football game, IF we get that far as much football to be played. Being in the same region, we would meet in round 3. As a fan, I can honestly say that the Bull Islanders are often in games they maybe shouldn't be over the years when the other team seems or appears to be better because of our lineplay and run oriented scheme. The concern is, we are also often in games against a team that we seem or appear to be better than because of our scheme. Tabb this year is an example. We were 4 TD's better than Tabb, yet it was close. When we won the state title years ago, Richlands would likely or appear to have beaten us 7-8 out of 10 times if we played, but our line was the difference, and I have to admit, some questionable holding calls that went against the Blue Tornado that killed some of their drives didn't hurt either.

Reactions: G-DOG2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT