ADVERTISEMENT

Way too early top 8...

Anybody care to make a "way too early" Region finalists in 2023 for Class 4?

Here are my guesses...

Region A
- Phoebus
- Warhill

Region B
- Dinwiddie
- King George

Region C
- Tuscarora
- Loudoun Co.

Region D
- Salem
- Glass
Really looking forward to seeing how Salem’s line comes together. If it’s good, I think they’ll be really good.

I know a thing from experience it's hard to win back to back championships even harder to get back to another. things change from year to year so good luck to all these teams .
Like I said elsewhere on here, the ten years since the first one teaches you humility.

Nobody has mentioned Louisa? You just think they will be down that much?

Really looking forward to seeing how Salem’s line comes together. If it’s good, I think they’ll be really good.
I think they will be better than average with another year of experience and in the weight room. One thing we can all agree on, they will be prepared come playoff time.

Here are my guesses...

Region A
- Phoebus
- Warhill

Region B
- Dinwiddie
- King George

Region C
- Tuscarora
- Loudoun Co.

Region D
- Salem
- Glass
I don't know if I would put King George over Varina this upcoming year, they were young this year but they have some real dogs coming up from jv next year. Kid they call D-1 is the truth. His older brother Dreshaun Taylor played at highland springs when they won their 3rd straight championship over Tuscarora but he transferred to LCA after that. D-1 is going to be a real problem for teams next year. Also, Varina is getting an upgrade at qb next year, I believe the kid coming up from jv is better than Derricott.

I don't know if I would put King George over Varina this upcoming year, they were young this year but they have some real dogs coming up from jv next year. Kid they call D-1 is the truth. His older brother Dreshaun Taylor played at highland springs when they won their 3rd straight championship over Tuscarora but he transferred to LCA after that. D-1 is going to be a real problem for teams next year. Also, Varina is getting an upgrade at qb next year, I believe the kid coming up from jv is better than Derricott.
Thanks for the info. I was debating between Varina and KG but went with KG just because Varina plays a tougher schedule so they might end up with more losses than KG. Doesn't necessarily mean KG would be the better team. I think Region B and Region C are the biggest question marks for next season. I think most people would agree that Phoebus will be top team Region A and Salem or Glass will be top team in D.

Reactions: Thomasddev

Here are my guesses...

Region A
- Phoebus
- Warhill

Region B
- Dinwiddie
- King George

Region C
- Tuscarora
- Loudoun Co.

Region D
- Salem
- Glass
I can almost garrentee next yrs State Champ will be in this group 😁

The big issue with Salem besides needing to get better up front is their QB situation. As others have mentioned, had Dawyot stayed and not went to Glenvar (was a star freshman for them this year) they would be in great shape but that is not the case. Dawyot has a heck of an offensive coach over at Glenvar in former Salem WR Tony Spradlin. The Spartans really don't have any natural QBs returning and if it was right now, it would probably be Chris Martin (very good safety and potential D1 player) unless someone new joins the team.

The good news: They are going to be insanely talented at the other skill positions and back 7 defensively... they also have rising sophomore Coen Logan (Chauncey Logan's brother) joining the mix. Also, the 8th grade group coming up from Andrew Lewis is the most dominant middle school team from this area in a very long time.

Should be a fun team to watch throughout the season.

Last edited:
The big issue with Salem besides needing to get better up front is their QB situation. As others have mentioned, had Dawyot stayed and not went to Glenvar (was a star freshman for them this year) they would be in great shape but that is not the case. They really don't have any natural QBs returning and if it was right now, it would probably be Chris Martin (very good safety and potential D1 player) unless someone new joins the team.

The good news: They are going to be insanely talented at the other skill positions and back 7 defensively... they also have rising sophomore Coen Logan (Chauncey Logan's brother) joining the mix. Also, the 8th grade group coming up from Andrew Lewis is the most dominant middle school team from this area in a very long time.

Should be a fun team to watch throughout the season.
Dawyot is a great kid and is extremely coachable. He also has height (pushing 6'4), a cannon of an arm, good field vision, and athleticism (was dunking as an 8th grader and is currently the leading scorer on Glenvar's basketball team). I personally know he's super focused on improving from what was already a great freshman year. I honestly think he has the potential to be one of the most highly regarded pro-style QB's this area has seen in a long time. Salem would be scary with him next year and feel like his former teammates will be pushing for him to return. However, Glenvar loves the kid and I think that's not likely to happen. If Salem can improve upfront on both sides of the ball, they will be a contender even without a dynamic QB. I haven't seen Martin throw at all. Did he play QB when he was on the JV squad?

Don't sleep on GW in 4D. Eagles return a host of starters on both sides and lots of talent coming up. Only blemish on JV record was season opening tie with Salem. This group should be right back in championship discussions.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Don't sleep on GW in 4D. Eagles return a host of starters on both sides and lots of talent coming up. Only blemish on JV record was season opening tie with Salem. This group should be right back in championship discussions.
Totally agree with a possible GW Danville return to prominence. Their youngens faced some adversity last season and almost clawed their way into the playoffs. They face Dinwiddie at home this year, so that will help. Have a fond spot in my heart for the Eagles and their fans. Can't wait to make the trip.

@wolverinedad2018, you pestered the mess out of us last week about Region C not getting any respect, so its time to crow. Tell us about the Woodgrove team returning to Class 4. Will they be a contender or pretender?

Last edited:
Dawyot is a great kid and is extremely coachable. He also has height (pushing 6'4), a cannon of an arm, good field vision, and athleticism (was dunking as an 8th grader and is currently the leading scorer on Glenvar's basketball team). I personally know he's super focused on improving from what was already a great freshman year. I honestly think he has the potential to be one of the most highly regarded pro-style QB's this area has seen in a long time. Salem would be scary with him next year and feel like his former teammates will be pushing for him to return. However, Glenvar loves the kid and I think that's not likely to happen. If Salem can improve upfront on both sides of the ball, they will be a contender even without a dynamic QB. I haven't seen Martin throw at all. Did he play QB when he was on the JV squad?
What up @RKE Fan was hoping our old Northside buddy would have made the trip to Lynchburg last weekend. Hope all is well. I know you did not imply a move would happen, but it sure made me think about things. Dawyot may be a good kid and Salem may desire for him to come back, but how in the heck could anyone (his parents) during these days of high cost housing and inflation even consider moving twice in a year? I don't know the kid or his parents, so I don't want to make any unfair assumptions. I am just curious. Glenvar is a Roanoke County School and Salem is in Salem, so in order to play for the Spartans there would have to be a move correct?

Reactions: rainman17
I highly doubt Dawyot would come back to Salem. Glenvar did very well with him, and the scheme they run showcases his talent.

Martin is a very good football player, but he's more of a runner than a passer. His talent would be kind of wasted just playing QB. (Like Chauncey Logan) He is a very good WR. In JV he was used primarily at WR or RB.

Brock Miles would have been a good QB, but he transferred to North Cross last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: SFUWO and RKE Fan
What up @RKE Fan was hoping our old Northside buddy would have made the trip to Lynchburg last weekend. Hope all is well. I know you did not imply a move would happen, but it sure made me think about things. Dawyot may be a good kid and Salem may desire for him to come back, but how in the heck could anyone (his parents) during these days of high cost housing and inflation even consider moving twice in a year? I don't know the kid or his parents, so I don't want to make any unfair assumptions. I am just curious. Glenvar is a Roanoke County School and Salem is in Salem, so in order to play for the Spartans there would have to be a move correct?
The could pay tuition. I'm not sure what the cost is now several years ago it was something like $250 or so a semester. Whereas if you paid to go to Roanoke County it was $3K per year

..O O........................O X O............................... O O
....................................Q.....................Z
....................................B
....................................A

Look for the Spartans to use this formation due to lack of lineman.

• Haha
Reactions: shtndark
You do not have to move. You can pay tuition to go to Salem schools if you don't live in Salem. Usually used in this situation where a former student moves out of the city but still wants to go to school with their friends. You have to apply and they don't except everyone. I don't expect him to come back to Salem. He has a brother that is in the same grade. No way they split the two or pay 2 tuitions. Glenvar has a good program and he's already been handed the keys.

Last edited:
Wish I could have made the trip to Lynchburg last weekend, but had too much going on within the family. Life gets crazy when your kids get to the teenage years! Congrats to your Generals!! I watched the game online and knew after the first few series they had the championship recipe of being incredibly talented, disciplined, and well-coached! Sounds like they may be just as good again next year as well. Thanks for accurately stating I was not implying a move. I am extremely confident he will stay at Glenvar. However, I have close ties to both the Salem and Glenvar communities (my kids are enrolled at Salem High and Andrew Lewis) and there definitely has been some "what if" chatter. Salem charges tuition that is several hundred dollars for out of district students, expensive for sure, but probably wouldn't prevent many from attending. Roanoke County schools are much more strict and expensive (I think) for students to attend who live outside county lines. I went to several Glenvar games this year and was super impressed with Dawyot, not just for his talents, but leadership on the field at such as young age. He's also just a super nice kid. I really do think he's going to be a bigtime recruit not just for this part of the state, but for all of VA. I really hope the Hokies give him a shot!

Any relation to the Dawyot kid that played basketball at Cave Spring last year and is playing for VT now?

You do not have to move. You pay tuition to go to Salem schools if you don't live in Salem and we know theirs plenty of family that lives in Salem if he wanted to change. I don't expect him to come back to Salem. He has a brother that is in the same grade. No way they split the two or pay 2 tuitions. Glenvar has a good program and he's already been handed the keys.
Please apologize for my lack of understanding, but I am getting old. AM I to understand that this quarterback could live in the Glenvar District, pay tuition, and play for Salem? This makes no sense. If this is indeed legal I am going to encourage Dinwiddie to charge a $25.00 tuition fee (I will pay it) and recruit the hell out of Hopewell, Petersburg, and Chesterfield. What kid wouldn't want to play for a team with all of the best players in the Tri-City area. If Salem is allowing kids to pay tuition to play football then I don't ever want to hear another negative word about LCA.

Reactions: rainman17 and OCBoy
Bo, is there anybody you don’t know? LOL
DP, I’m a big fan of the older brother. Saw him beat your Petersburg Wave (I know you’re all Dinwiddie but I know you attended PHS) last March. One of the best better basketball players I saw the past few years. He scored his first basket the other night for Tech.

Last edited:
Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Any relation to the Dawyot kid that played basketball at Cave Spring last year and is playing for VT now?
Yeah Owen is his brother and he played basketball at Salem until his senior year when he went to Cave. Their oldest brother played OL for Salem all four years.

Reactions: VolNation85
Please apologize for my lack of understanding, but I am getting old. AM I to understand that this quarterback could live in the Glenvar District, pay tuition, and play for Salem? This makes no sense. If this is indeed legal I am going to encourage Dinwiddie to charge a $25.00 tuition fee (I will pay it) and recruit the hell out of Hopewell, Petersburg, and Chesterfield. What kid wouldn't want to play for a team with all of the best players in the Tri-City area. If Salem is allowing kids to pay tuition to play football then I don't ever want to hear another negative word about LCA.
It's not tuition to play football. It's to go to the school. I don't think you can play right away either. You have to sit out (365). Most of the students that pay tuition were former students that moved out of Salem.

Last edited:
In northern Virginia. It's my understanding that you can choose to go to any school in the County as long as you provide your own transportation

Reactions: rainman17 and OCBoy
And yes you misunderstood my post entirely. No they are not letting kids who play football pay tuition to play. It's no different than if a Salem resident wanted to go to Patrick Henry. Salem has kids from neighboring locals from K-12 that pay a fee to come to the school system. Majority of these students don't play sports or were former students that moved out of Salem and want to stay with their friends. So no it's not like LCA that recruits players for sports 😂.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT