4 Sussex Central 2-0 Beat Charles City 46-

5 Altavista 3-0 Beat Greensville County 40-14

6 Patrick Henry 2-0 Bye week

7 Hurley 3-0 Beat Shelby Valley (KY) 56-35

8 Lunenburg 2-1 Beat Randolph-Henry 35-10

9 Franklin 1-0 Beat Colonial Beach 28-16

10 Luray 2-0 Bye week

Thoughts?

I have to say I am a little surprised that George Wythe is #1 after struggling with Marion and a little disappointed with Hurley at #7, but we will see later.

I wouldn't really say we struggled with them. I can however fully see how it would look like that. But it was really just GW making mistake after mistake and allowing Marion to hang around. In the 1st Q we dominated them. 2nd Q we had a 21-6 lead and the kids stopped playing and marion took advantage of it. 3rd Q was the same as the 2nd Q. And then finally the 4th Q came around and GW dominated again to finish the game off. And Hurley will keep climbing no doubt.

Until the defending state champs are beaten, they should be #1 but that's just my opinion. That being said I haven't been that impressed with their play so far this year but they are still undefeated. Regardless one of them will have a loss after Friday. Galax will have to play a lot better than they so far this year to come away with the win. I'm just hoping they show up and play like they're capable of, win or lose that's all i can ask out of them.

Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
I agree Galax should be #1 until they are beat. But as I've said before I'm not the one making the rankings I just post em. Either way Galax is 1 or 2 and GW is 1 or 2. This game has all the potential in the world to be a classic. But if GW or Galax either one comes out flat or uninspired it could get out of hand quickly. The team who is more prepared for the others weapons and style of play will win.

Blaster, I agree that Friday will decide who is number 1; GW or Galax. But
I am a " little guy " fan, so I my opinion Narrows should be considered for
At least a tie for 10th. Narrows is having their best start in many years at
3-0. They play unbeaten 2A Giles Friday. I do not expect Narrows to win, but
The Green Wave will be around come November
And I also agree with Honestjohn, Hurley should be higher than 7th. Hurley
Gave Galax a fit last year in the playoffs, and they have a better team this
Year. Hurley should be in the top 3-5

Last edited:
Where are these rankings you speak of and are they based on the power points? I would like to see someone post up the points as of now

Two by four, I also would like to see power points, but unless VHSL or HELPER,
Does them, folks like Blaster does an excellent job in providing us with a free lance
Picture of the best in A1. You can post your own top 10, but I bet the same teams
Will be there, just in a different order according to your preferences.

Vhsl doesnt normally post points until 5-6th game of the season. So I was curious if Blaster was keeping track or is his top ten a personal thing.

Where are these rankings you speak of and are they based on the power points? I would like to see someone post up the points as of now
On the home page of preps if you're not seeing on the full size site try the mobile site. And no power points don't affect them at least not until later in the season.

Last edited:
I know it doesn't mean much right now, but it can shed a little perspective on the quality of opponents and strength of schedule of teams we are not familiar with. So if anyone could take a stab at it, go ahead

Just my opinion:

1. Galax- They are the champs and have won 12 in a row.

2. George Wythe- Possibly the team to beat this year. Friday night should be a fun game

3. Sussex- They are often overlooked in my opinion. Big mistake. They are fast, physical and can beat anybody.

4. Riverheads- Traditional powerhouse and with Schaefer leading the way will be in the mix until the end.

5. Essex- Two tough losses to begin the season but offense ran for close to 400 yards last week and the defense is championship caliber.

6. Hurley- Could be a season for the ages for the Rebels. Justice is one of if not the best backs in the state and looks to have more help this year.

7. Altavista- Colonels seem to be back on track so far this year. A tough game Friday night coming up.

8. Franklin- Nice win for the Broncos last week over Colonial Beach. With a bevy of backs and a good qb and wr do not overlook these guys.

9. Patrick Henry- In Humphries they have one of the best backs in the state and he alone gives them a fighting chance.

10. Lunenburg- Have the offense but in recent years the defense hasn't been as strong. Come playoff time they'll need defense if they hope to beat the top teams.

Just my 2 cents. Take it for what you want. I'm sure no two people would have the exact top 10. All in fun for me but thought I'd give it a stab

Not that my opinion matters but here goes
1. Galax
2. Riverheads
3. GW
4. Essex
5. Sussex
6. Hurley
7. Altavista
8. PM
9. Patrick Henry
10. Franklin/Luray

Really too early to get a clear picture on anything but anyone listed here and even Central can get it done. I wouldnt start engraving the trophy with a G just yet gentlemen. There is a ton of football to play and way too may variables this early in the season.
Top four you could put in any order and not be wrong just yet. Not a believer in Sussex overall but they have the wins so we will see if they can put it all together when the games count he most. Someone said not to sleep on them but another one that everyone dropped off their radar is PM with the loss to Buffalo Gap. They are adjusting to the transfer from Auburn and getting all the kinks worked out but they have studs in the backfield. At this early stage, until Friday with Galax and GW its all just preference and familiarity. SWVA guys think that's the only place football is played and the 757 thinks they are the only teams that have athletes. Let the games be played and it all gets settle in Salem. I am just glad we have this to discuss again, I am a basket case for about 8 months out of the year, lol. Go ahead and shoot holes in it Blaster, buddy.

Red Pride, I like your savy....espically with Essex and your thinking about Parry Mc.
The first four are all very good teams, order at this point doesn't mean a thing. After
This weekend there just may another team jump in the mix that has not been on
Anyone's radar yet......

Very good post, My Friend

Reactions: honestjohn60
Chilwar25, I am just speculating and honestly right now we are probably a 7 or 8 win team with potential to go 10-0. We have lots of great teams to play and as they say, on any given Friday anyone can be beaten.

It wouldn't surprise me to see any of the top 10-12 finish with their arms raised. Like most of you, I really just love high school football. I look forward to enjoying a wonderful regular season and hope we are able to make another run to Salem. RedPrideNation

Reactions: honestjohn60
RedPride, I could not agree more with you. High school football fans all across the State
Are very much like each other, whether you are from Lee County in SWVA, or the Northern
Neck, Roanoke, or Virginia Beach. Most of us live from one season to the next, with football
On our mind and thinking about how our team will do in the up coming season.

This crazy game has us all consumed in the sport from August to December each year. We
Love our kids, and love to watch them on Friday nights perform with Pride and guts for
Their communities and for the love of the game.

We have seen 2 or 3 different types of football played across the state over the years.
SWVA for many years was known as power smash mouth ball. We seen other areas
Of the state as more of a finesse and quickness type ball, and probably more athletic
In our opinion, whether it really was or not.

Either type of ball played make us all love to see the match ups, espically during
Playoff time. When it gets down to the final four there are really no losers, in my opinion.
Irregardless of where we are from, the game is this same, the rules are the same, and
The fans are the same. We all love the game, and we all love those kids out there
On that field on Friday nights! May God Bless those young men!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT