ADVERTISEMENT

Weekly points in A- LT still leads

Lafayette

VaPreps All District
Aug 26, 2001
Lafayette 1.33 behind. Don’t know even if we go undefeated if we can catch. Other than Norcom, LT doesn’t have much left on the schedule to challenge them,

@Lafayette talk to me man you’ve been quiet lately.. how you guys looking this far?
I’ve been quiet mainly because our schedule has been in a shambles. We are thru game 4 only!. Warhill delayed until 10/23 and Bruton two weeks ago canceled. Our game this Friday may be impacted by weather again. It was nice though to blow out a 5-0 York team this past Friday.
But on Lafayette football, this year’s team is as good defensively as last year, maybe even better against the pass. Offensively, this year’s team is definitely better than last year. Why? Our RBs now have experience with a bruising FB and a lightening fast RB with two other top RBs in the mix. But for me the QB and the WR and TE make the difference. This offense has never passed so much and well in a long time. The passing is strong and accurate with WR Rodgers a big threat as the big 6 3” TE. No big injuries so far and I hope it stays that way. The experience of so many away games (4 of first 5) and two on grass gives this team a lot of confidence. The rest of the year should be interesting!!

Still a ways to go, but we're likely looking at a trip to Norfolk...what are your thoughts on that, Lafayette?

Still a ways to go, but we're likely looking at a trip to Norfolk...what are your thoughts on that, Lafayette?
I haven’t done the math and even though Lafayette’s remaining schedule is decent and LT’s ok, both schedules right now for remaining games for their opponents is identical 12-14. Thus I think they will outpoint us if we both go undefeated. And that’s throwing out the Bruton game (a forfeit only hurts to include). So to get to the semi final again, we will probably need to go to Norfolk. Lafayette and LT may finally meet! I and the players would be very pumped and not the least intimidated. But maybe someone out there can calculate it to the end. Maybe we squeak out the 1 seed.

Last edited:
I haven’t done the math and even though Lafayette’s remaining schedule is decent and LT’s ok, both schedules right now for remaining games for their opponents is identical 12-14. Thus I think they will outpoint us if we both go undefeated. And that’s throwing out the Bruton game (a forfeit only hurts to include). So to get to the semi final again, we will probably need to go to Norfolk. Lafayette and LT may finally meet! I and the players would be very pumped and not the least intimidated. But maybe someone out there can calculate it to the end. Maybe we squeak out the 1 seed.

From what Coach Andy Linn told me, the Bruton game will not be a forfeit and just a cancelled game, thus they'll divide by 9 (which will help Lafayette's power rating). Even with that being the case, it doesn't appear an undefeated Lafayette will be able to out-point an undefeated Lake Taylor from my calculations I've done. While LT is hurt by a Western Branch team that is struggling, could potentially even go winless, they are helped by beating a Freedom team that is projected to go possibly 8-2 or 9-1 as well as beating a Phoebus team that could also get to 8-2 or 9-1. Norcom is a common foe for both, and some of the bottom of the barrel Bay Rivers teams (Grafton, Jamestown, Bruton) don't help the Rams' case to get the top line.

Lafayette's best bet is to hope that Norcom can pick the Titans off on Saturday, which is not out of the realm of possibility given that the Greyhounds have won 4 in a row, gotten healthier since early in the season (having DE Antwaun Powell-Ryland back along with LB Taurus Jones closer to 100% makes a big difference for their defense) and they have tightened the screws a bit on the protection front.

Regardless of where the game would be - Norfolk or Williamsburg - I'd like to finally see us get a Lake Taylor / Lafayette matchup in the postseason. In past years we thought we might get it and didn't. Two stellar programs, top-notch coaching staffs.. it would be fun to see them square off for I believe the first time ever.

What's your take on playing LT, if it were to happen?
Well, LT would be seeing one of the better Lafayette teams and probably the best team they have seen overall. Phoebus is tops in defense but not a very high powered offense. Freedom that LT beat has only one loss but their opponents so far have been less than stellar. This weeks Freedoms opponent in Woodbridge and undefeated will tell a lot. But Lafayette would also be seeing their best opponent all year with the best RB we have seen and best overall defense. In the end this year’s team with its passing game, experienced rb’s, defense and playing a lot on the road and on grass may be the tipping point in their favor. I would expect a very close game down to the wire like the LT / Phoebus game. My only concern is as outstanding as Lafayette’s LB’s are and their key to the defense they are small, 5 9” and 180-5, can they take in the LT O line and RBs for 48 minutes?

Reactions: LHS Rams
Well, LT would be seeing one of the better Lafayette teams and probably the best team they have seen overall. Phoebus is tops in defense but not a very high powered offense. Freedom that LT beat has only one loss but their opponents so far have been less than stellar. This weeks Freedoms opponent in Woodbridge and undefeated will tell a lot. But Lafayette would also be seeing their best opponent all year with the best RB we have seen and best overall defense. In the end this year’s team with its passing game, experienced rb’s, defense and playing a lot on the road and on grass may be the tipping point in their favor. I would expect a very close game down to the wire like the LT / Phoebus game. My only concern is as outstanding as Lafayette’s LB’s are and their key to the defense they are small, 5 9” and 180-5, can they take in the LT O line and RBs for 48 minutes?

I haven't seen Lafayette play this year, but based on their results, the offense does seem to be better, and I believe I read where you thought their defense was better, as well. If this is the case, LT would have their hands full...talk about a physical game, huh? It would likely come down to execution and turnovers...barring any unexpected results, this game is on.

I haven't seen Lafayette play this year, but based on their results, the offense does seem to be better, and I believe I read where you thought their defense was better, as well. If this is the case, LT would have their hands full...talk about a physical game, huh? It would likely come down to execution and turnovers...barring any unexpected results, this game is on.
I’ve seen every game this year- no trouble this year driving down to Smithfield that happens all the time on a Friday. Offense is much better. Qb play is much improved as overall backfield experience. Defense is a little better though last year is a tough yardstick. Just as stingy on the run but better DB play on passes. An LT game would be very physical , the way Lafayette likes it. Yep, it would come down to turnovers which Lafayette has really reduced and penalties which Lafayette has not and needs a big improvement. Seems to always get untimely holds and over 100 yards in penalties a game. This would be a big Achilles heel in an LT game. But one game at a time. Warhill and Poquoson are still very dangerous as well as New Kent on their grass field.

Great analysis by Matt and Lafayette - thanks! Agree the Ram passing game is much improved this season. QB makes really solid decisions and the TE is a matchup problem who goes up and gets the ball. WR and Wings are dangerous receivers as well. It seems like Coach Linn has a bunch of different options in both the pass and run game. That is really tough to defend.

Defense just continues to dominate. I believe York had -30 yards rushing. That has been the theme, take away the run. Old school, I love it!

We need to focus on what’s in front of us and agree that despite their recent struggles Wathill and Poquoson are dangerous. We’ll be tough to beat at home though.

Pulling for Norcom this weekend!

Last edited:
From what Coach Andy Linn told me, the Bruton game will not be a forfeit and just a cancelled game, thus they'll divide by 9 (which will help Lafayette's power rating). Even with that being the case, it doesn't appear an undefeated Lafayette will be able to out-point an undefeated Lake Taylor from my calculations I've done. While LT is hurt by a Western Branch team that is struggling, could potentially even go winless, they are helped by beating a Freedom team that is projected to go possibly 8-2 or 9-1 as well as beating a Phoebus team that could also get to 8-2 or 9-1. Norcom is a common foe for both, and some of the bottom of the barrel Bay Rivers teams (Grafton, Jamestown, Bruton) don't help the Rams' case to get the top line.

Lafayette's best bet is to hope that Norcom can pick the Titans off on Saturday, which is not out of the realm of possibility given that the Greyhounds have won 4 in a row, gotten healthier since early in the season (having DE Antwaun Powell-Ryland back along with LB Taurus Jones closer to 100% makes a big difference for their defense) and they have tightened the screws a bit on the protection front.

Regardless of where the game would be - Norfolk or Williamsburg - I'd like to finally see us get a Lake Taylor / Lafayette matchup in the postseason. In past years we thought we might get it and didn't. Two stellar programs, top-notch coaching staffs.. it would be fun to see them square off for I believe the first time ever.
Thanks Matt- at least the Bruton game is a throw away. Poor Grafton is recent event as traditionally they are very good. Every league has their cellar and in football Jamestown is ours. I agree unless Norcom upsets the best we can do is number 2. But this year I can see the 3, 4 teams being a real handful - Deep Creek and Kings Fork. I don’t see the bottom 4 with a legit shot though Smithfield is getting better every week.

Thanks Matt- at least the Bruton game is a throw away. Poor Grafton is recent event as traditionally they are very good. Every league has their cellar and in football Jamestown is ours. I agree unless Norcom upsets the best we can do is number 2. But this year I can see the 3, 4 teams being a real handful - Deep Creek and Kings Fork. I don’t see the bottom 4 with a legit shot though Smithfield is getting better every week.
Would agree with you on all accounts there, though I think we'll find out more from the upcoming games for Deep Creek and King's Fork. Deep Creek has to take on Oscar Smith, while King's Fork faces Indian River. Don't expect either to win (though KF has a better shot vs. IR), but if they are going to challenge the Region 4A favorites Lake Taylor and Lafayette, both the Bulldogs and Hornets need to be competitive beyond half-time against I.River and O.Smith in my opinion.

Heritage is another team I'd outline as a possible sleeper to knock someone off in the first round, not sure beyond. Reason I say that is their quarterback Darius Price can get in a groove throwing the ball as he did in last weekend's close loss to Kecoughtan. And if a team comes into that one banged up defensively and struggle to defend the pass, he could allow the Hurricanes to put a real scare into someone. Their o-line protection and defense must show some improvement between now and season's end though.

Getting to a fun time of the year with the playoffs around the corner... looking forward to it quite a bit.

Great analysis by Matt and Lafayette - thanks! Agree the Ram passing game is much improved this season. QB makes really solid decisions and the TE is a matchup problem who goes up and gets the ball. WR and Wings are dangerous receivers as well. It seems like Coach Linn has a bunch of different options in both the pass and run game. That is really tough to defend.

Defense just continues to dominate. I believe York had -30 yards rushing. That has been the theme, take away the run. Old school, I love it!

We need to focus on what’s in front of us and agree that despite their recent struggles Wathill and Poquoson are dangerous. We’ll be tough to beat at home though.

Pulling for Norcom this weekend!
That TE is a real story, more worthy than most. Out last year recovering from cancer. Successful recovery from the cancer and came back to football this year. Not just on the team but a starter at TE and a real force at 6 3” with good hands. Number 81, Tyler Neville. Keep an eye out for him!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT