ADVERTISEMENT

West Potomac over South County

I watched it at SoCo. West Po was winning at the line of scrimmage on defense, and either stopping the run or hurrying the QB. Late in the second quarter soco started running more quick passes, check downs, and screens, but by that point west po had their momentum and the secondary limited YAC. The entire game was buoyed by an excellent performance by west potomac on offense. In the second quarter, down seven but with a couple of good defensive stops and 2 field goals goals missed by SoCo (one was shanked wide left, the other was blocked), Annor (#21, RB) finally was able to get past the linebackers for a solid gain, and after that, the line was a lot more physical. For most of the game, SoCo’s secondary was smothering our receivers, but Ampem (#1, WR) was able to make some fantastic catches to keep the wolverines moving forward. West po went to a 27-13 lead (each team had an XP blocked) and never lost the momentum after that. The second half featured a couple of solid defensive performances by West Po, including a couple of interceptions and a safety after a botched snap put the Stallions at the 8. Overall it was a strong showing by the Wolverines in a game that exactly 0% of people though would end in a commanding victory for them. Oh, and by the way, it was South County’s homecoming. Here’s a fun statistic. Since 2019, West Potomac has never lost a homecoming game, no matter who’s it was (W @ Lewis 62-0, W vs Annandale 28-20, W vs Lewis 48-0, W @ AC 22-21, W @ South County 36-21).

Reactions: Catch50 and otnorot
I watched it at SoCo. West Po was winning at the line of scrimmage on defense, and either stopping the run or hurrying the QB. Late in the second quarter soco started running more quick passes, check downs, and screens, but by that point west po had their momentum and the secondary limited YAC. The entire game was buoyed by an excellent performance by west potomac on offense. In the second quarter, down seven but with a couple of good defensive stops and 2 field goals goals missed by SoCo (one was shanked wide left, the other was blocked), Annor (#21, RB) finally was able to get past the linebackers for a solid gain, and after that, the line was a lot more physical. For most of the game, SoCo’s secondary was smothering our receivers, but Ampem (#1, WR) was able to make some fantastic catches to keep the wolverines moving forward. West po went to a 27-13 lead (each team had an XP blocked) and never lost the momentum after that. The second half featured a couple of solid defensive performances by West Po, including a couple of interceptions and a safety after a botched snap put the Stallions at the 8. Overall it was a strong showing by the Wolverines in a game that exactly 0% of people though would end in a commanding victory for them. Oh, and by the way, it was South County’s homecoming. Here’s a fun statistic. Since 2019, West Potomac has never lost a homecoming game, no matter who’s it was (W @ Lewis 62-0, W vs Annandale 28-20, W vs Lewis 48-0, W @ AC 22-21, W @ South County 36-21).
The game should be on NFHS, as long as you’ve paid for the subscription.

Yep, watching it....

The South County jerseys aren't NFHS compliant to the thier regulations..

Anyway, South County's defense had maybeplay 1 play in the backfield of WP.. The wolverines could reliably get 3-4 yards per run & those long gashes up the middle were defense killers..

South County ran the ball pretty well but had too many issues where their quarterback wasn't protected well.

This should make the L. Braddock vs S. County game real interesting & as I may have stated earlier, Robinson should probably be favored in Reg C.

Reactions: Catch50
Yep, watching it....

The South County jerseys aren't NFHS compliant to the thier regulations..

Anyway, South County's defense had maybeplay 1 play in the backfield of WP.. The wolverines could reliably get 3-4 yards per run & those long gashes up the middle were defense killers..

South County ran the ball pretty well but had too many issues where their quarterback wasn't protected well.

This should make the L. Braddock vs S. County game real interesting & as I may have stated earlier, Robinson should probably be favored in Reg C.
Nobody mentioned the WP QB, #2 ... George Stamos. SOCO could not contain him getting around the edge.

Nobody mentioned the WP QB, #2 ... George Stamos. SOCO could not contain him getting around the edge.
That’s cause Stamos isn’t really a QB. He played WR for the first 2 games of the season and #7 Owen Joachim was our QB. He (OJ) wasn’t in pads on Friday, which leads me to believe that he’s been sitting out not because he was benched after throwing 5 interceptions in the Wakefield game (A game in which the wolverines would still allow just 7 points), but due to injury. Later in the SoCo game, the Stallions put a QB spy on him full time, but the Wolverines responded with quick passes and the sheer power of a 330+ rushing performance almost entirely from Annor. Frankly, I think Stamos’s ability to get to the outside is one of the key factors to winning for the Wolverines, as it creates a third level of play calling for the defense to deal with. This will be especially important when we have to play teams with strong rushing defenses, as Annor was able to get 3-5 yards consistently every play. Frankly, after the Fairfax game, I was expecting WP to lose out, but it’s been a pleasant surprise so far, and I think they are the wild card for the next two games (West Springfield and Robinson), both potentially winnable games, as well as the Regional tournament.

Reactions: Catch50
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT