ADVERTISEMENT

What are the intriguing matchups in round 1

GROUP 3A WEST

No. 16 Hidden Valley (3-7) at No. 1 Western Albemarle (9-1)

No. 15 Alleghany (4-6) at No. 2 Northside (8-2), Friday, 7 p.m.

No. 14 Liberty-Bedford (4-6) at No. 3 Lord Botetourt (9-1)

No. 13 Heritage-Lynchburg (4-6) at No. 4 Magna Vista (8-2)

No. 12 Turner Ashby (6-4) at No. 5 Brookville (7-3)

No. 11 Waynesboro (6-4) at No. 6 Monticello (7-3)

No. 10 Rustburg (6-4) at No. 7 Abingdon (9-1)

No. 9 Blacksburg (6-4) at No. 8 Staunton River (6-4)

I think that entire group is pretty much wide open, with several teams capable of winning a few games.

And your Magna Vista team has as good a chance as any team advancing.

I b
Pizzzzza has put out a very nice unofficial playoff ranking, whom are the intriguing matchups. I'm curious to see how Waynesboro does this playoff season! They were awesome last year and they epitomized the adage that when the playoff starts a new season begins. They opened alot of eyes last season. Who is this year's Waynesboro, (besides obviously Waynesboro whom is back in the playoffs)? What lower ranked team can make a deep run?
i believe rust burg could beat Abingdon

Reactions: onereddevil4
Brookville could fall this week also. Given up a lot of points as of late and are pretty banged up from what I hear. Idk much about TA but anything could happen, wouldn't surprise me to see them lose.

Two sleeper teams would be Rustburg and SR for sure. But I would love to see a Seminole matchup as 4 teams did make it... Brookville Rustburg rematch would be great as I think we'd take em this time but I don't see it happening. If any of those top 4 go down this week it's gonna be wide open

Brookville could fall this week also. Given up a lot of points as of late and are pretty banged up from what I hear. Idk much about TA but anything could happen, wouldn't surprise me to see them lose.
Couldn,t agree more red devil I expected them to get blown out by JF but that loss at Liberty was inexcuseable. They probably won't be around long in these playoffs.

Coach Meeks is an average coach nothing special

I've seen you say this multiple times on here. What's your issue with his coaching? Demeanor? Scheme? Play-calling? Don't know him extremely well but being that I coach in his old district and he coaches in the district that I played in, we've got a lot of common friends. I've heard nothing but good things about him as a coach. Just curious where your disdain comes from.

Pizzzzza has put out a very nice unofficial playoff ranking, whom are the intriguing matchups. I'm curious to see how Waynesboro does this playoff season! They were awesome last year and they epitomized the adage that when the playoff starts a new season begins. They opened alot of eyes last season. Who is this year's Waynesboro, (besides obviously Waynesboro whom is back in the playoffs)? What lower ranked team can make a deep run?

Magna Vista & Western Albemarle are favorites IMO. Monticello is my sleeper pick. If Brookville finds the team that started 6-0, they'll be a handful. The road to the semi's also goes through #2 seed Northside. They aren't as strong as previous years but with Basham and Jackson, they've got a pair of next level talents leading the way. Torrance always does a great job schematically. I'd be surprised if the two west reps in the state semi's don't come from this group.

1. Western
2. Northside
4. Magna Vista
5. Brookville
6. Monticello

I've seen you say this multiple times on here. What's your issue with his coaching? Demeanor? Scheme? Play-calling? Don't know him extremely well but being that I coach in his old district and he coaches in the district that I played in, we've got a lot of common friends. I've heard nothing but good things about him as a coach. Just curious where your disdain comes from.
He ran Louisa in the ground IMO I didn't say he sucked I just said he is average

He ran Louisa in the ground IMO I didn't say he sucked I just said he is average

I can see where one may have that opinion. They were successful before he took over and fell to average by the time he left. Thanks for response, I was just curious. You heading up to Ashburn this week to watch the Hornets?

Reactions: OCBoy
I can see where one may have that opinion. They were successful before he took over and fell to average by the time he left. Thanks for response, I was just curious. You heading up to Ashburn this week to watch the Hornets?
I'm not an Orange fan I guess the screen name made you think that. I did live in orange for sometime. But yes that is my opinion on him nothing more nothing less to be honest. I have lived in Culpeper for about 7 years now. I travel all over the state and catch different games at times. Thankfully I'll have a great game in my back yard with eastern view/chancellor this week.

I'm not an Orange fan I guess the screen name made you think that. I did live in orange for sometime. But yes that is my opinion on him nothing more nothing less to be honest. I have lived in Culpeper for about 7 years now. I travel all over the state and catch different games at times. Thankfully I'll have a great game in my back yard with eastern view/chancellor this week.

Yes, the screen name got me. Let us know how the EV/Chancellor game goes. I'm going with EV getting revenge, if Chancellor can win without that QB, they'll have my attention.

Yes, the screen name got me. Let us know how the EV/Chancellor game goes. I'm going with EV getting revenge, if Chancellor can win without that QB, they'll have my attention.
I'll be doing live updates on the scoreboard

Hidden Valley was a #1 seed last year and got knocked out by #16 seed. Can they turn the tables this year and knock off the #1seed ?

I agree with that. Rustburg has played well this year. Abingdon does bring a 9-1 record into the playoffs but most of those are against 2A schools. They played 2 3A schools this year Christiansburg whom has a down season and Blacksburg. Richlands which is 2A beat them up pretty good! On the other hand Rustburg has played high caliber teams from 3A as well as 4A, and was in those games until after the half when depth got to them! Tough team to put out! If they had those couple players they could sub for a breather then I put them as a top 3A school contender! Good luck to all!

Richlands would beat the majority of 3A, remember they used to be in 3A and dominated for years....Also Rustburg lost to 2A Appomattox so its not like they are world beaters....i see a lot of people down on Abingdon because they don't know anything about them. Their offense is legit with the best QB in 3A hands down and one of the best WR as well. The question will be their defense which is undersized, but they will score points so Rustburg better be able to score with them.

Richlands would beat the majority of 3A, remember they used to be in 3A and dominated for years....Also Rustburg lost to 2A Appomattox so its not like they are world beaters....i see a lot of people down on Abingdon because they don't know about them. Their offense is legit with the best QB in 3A hands down and one of the best WR as well. The question will be their defense which is undersized, but they will score points so Rustburg better be able to score with them.
You don't much about football in this area if you think losing to a 2A Appomattox squad is a bad loss. Appomattox is really good. That loss was also very early in the season. Rustburg 4 loss have been all close games except for Amherst which they still came back and made that game very interesting. They had JF on the ropes until the last 3 minutes of the game. Abingdon is not getting a very easy opponent. I will admit I know nothing about Abingdon. I do however know about football in that part of the state and they typically have a hard time with teams from the Seminole. Rustburg is very fast and very physical on defense. There biggest flaw I think is lack of depth.

Richlands would beat the majority of 3A, remember they used to be in 3A and dominated for years....Also Rustburg lost to 2A Appomattox so its not like they are world beaters....i see a lot of people down on Abingdon because they don't know anything about them. Their offense is legit with the best QB in 3A hands down and one of the best WR as well. The question will be their defense which is undersized, but they will score points so Rustburg better be able to score with them.

If you mean Richlands would beat the majority of all 3A teams in the state as in 51%, maybe. However, if you mean Richlands would beat 70 or 80% of 3A teams including most of the 3A playoff teams (east and west), I doubt it. Richlands is solid in 2A and may very well make it to the state championship, but honestly even that is doubtful with a probable trip to Appomatox. Even if they pull the upset and get by there, a likely match-up against Glenvar, Giles, or Union (who beat them the first go-round) will be a difficult challenge. For sure, 2A West is loaded. As far as Abingdon goes, I'm not sure I've heard many people on this board be "down" on Abingdon. Some have mentioned Rustburg pulling an upset because overall they have done well against a pretty tough schedule. Abingdon does have a great QB and receiver combo and may very well win. However, IMO there's little chance they get by round two in a probable match-up with Northside.

Last edited:
IMO Hopewell will be the 1st 1# seed to go out. I seen them play about 3 times this year and they are a decent team. Ended up with a good record, had some plays go there way in big games but overall to me not one that would have me worried. They do have a good QB Hill can run and throw and a decent not great running back. The defense is not very big and the corners are small and have trouble covering. Hopewell relies on QB Hill and if you stop him you stop Hopewell. 3A East pod 26 & 28 is very weak so Hopewell will have cake walks in round 1 & 2 but will be put out in round 3. If I'm wrong I will admit it. Just my opinion.

You don't much about football in this area if you think losing to a 2A Appomattox squad is a bad loss. Appomattox is really good. That loss was also very early in the season. Rustburg 4 loss have been all close games except for Amherst which they still came back and made that game very interesting. They had JF on the ropes until the last 3 minutes of the game. Abingdon is not getting a very easy opponent. I will admit I know nothing about Abingdon. I do however know about football in that part of the state and they typically have a hard time with teams from the Seminole. Rustburg is very fast and very physical on defense. There biggest flaw I think is lack of depth.

I didn't say the appomattox loss was a bad one, but you can't say that is a quality loss without saying the same for Abingdon, I watch a lot of HS football and there might be more speed in central but physically I don't think so, especially in 2A and 3A. Richlands lost 2nd game in OT by 1 pt from a missed XP and missed FG with 5 turnovers, I've done research on Central teams, which is why I felt compelled to say something, but before you commeant on teams outside the area you should do the same other than looking in the win loss column. Abingdon may well lose, but just trying to say the argument of the quality of losses should be equal

If you mean Richlands would beat the majority of all 3A teams in the state as in 51%, maybe. However, if you mean Richlands would beat 70 or 80% of 3A teams including most of the 3A playoff teams (east and west), I doubt it. Richlands is solid in 2A and may very well make it to the state championship, but honestly even that is doubtful with a probable trip to Appomatox. Even if they pull the upset and get by there, a likely match-up against Glenvar, Giles, or Union (who beat them the first go-round) will be a difficult challenge. For sure, 2A West is loaded. As far as Abingdon goes, I'm not sure I've heard many people on this board be "down" on Abingdon. Some have mentioned Rustburg pulling an upset because overall they have done well against a pretty tough schedule. Abingdon does have a great QB and receiver combo and may very well win. However, IMO there's little chance they get by round two in a probable match-up with Northside.
Yes Richlands would compete with 80% of the playoff teams in 3A west

You originally said:
Richlands would beat the majority of 3A

There can be a difference between "competing" with a team and "beating" a team. Richlands probably would be competitive with a lot of schools, but would they end up in the win column against 80% of 3A playoff teams such as Phoebus, JM, Hopewell, NS, LB, MV, WA, Monticello, and Bville? IMO, I don't see that happening.

I didn't say the appomattox loss was a bad one, but you can't say that is a quality loss without saying the same for Abingdon, I watch a lot of HS football and there might be more speed in central but physically I don't think so, especially in 2A and 3A. Richlands lost 2nd game in OT by 1 pt from a missed XP and missed FG with 5 turnovers, I've done research on Central teams, which is why I felt compelled to say something, but before you commeant on teams outside the area you should do the same other than looking in the win loss column. Abingdon may well lose, but just trying to say the argument of the quality of losses should be equal
I never made a comment about Abingdon's 1 loss. You are the one that talked about Rustburg losing to Appomattox. Which beat 2 3A playoff teams and 1 4A playoff team. I only commented because you talked about rustburg losing to Appomattox. In my reply to your post I never once said anything about who Abingdon lose too or Richlands. But I will have to say I am not very impressed with Abingdon's schedule. There is a reason why a 9-1 team is only ranked #7. I am not predicting a Rustburg win but I can promise you haven't a team all year like Rustburg.

Richl
Richlands would not dominate this new 3A

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
You originally said:

There can be a difference between "competing" with a team and "beating" a team. Richlands probably would be competitive with a lot of schools, but would they end up in the win column against 80% of 3A playoff teams such as Phoebus, JM, Hopewell, NS, LB, MV, WA, Monticello, and Bville? IMO, I don't see that happening.
IMO they are very capable of beating those teams. With the exception of Phoebus. Heck they beat LB last year with just an above avg team. I would rank this Richlands team slightly above the 2010 3A state team. And we know how well they handled Brookville that year. So saying that they couldn't beat those teams is a little out there to me. But that is your opinion and this is mine. I just believe mine to be more accurate ;)

Reactions: RichlandsRyan
Lol
IMO they are very capable of beating those teams. With the exception of Phoebus. Heck they beat LB last year with just an above avg team. I would rank this Richlands team slightly above the 2010 3A state team. And we know how well they handled Brookville that year. So saying that they couldn't beat those teams is a little out there to me. But that is your opinion and this is mine. I just believe mine to be more accurate ;)
lol why Phoebus who's to say Phoebus is that good?

Lol

Yeh I was probably wrong in putting phoebus on a pedestal like that cuz I know nothing about them other than what people say on here. Haven't they dropped 2 classification in the last few cycles?

Yeh I was probably wrong in putting phoebus on a pedestal like that cuz I know nothing about them other than what people say on here. Haven't they dropped 2 classification in the last few cycles?
Yes they have. Rich lands may be good but if they can't run the table in 2A they definitely won't in 3A

The ONLY reason Rustburg lost to JF was because of a fumble inside the 10 with under 3 to go. They score there and the game would've been over... One of the most underrated defenses in 3A, they're fast and hit hard. Depth is a issue though, but it shouldn't be a problem going to Abingdon and coming back with a W. With the exception of Glass & Tunstall, every team Rustburg played this year is in the post season.

Lol

since 2001
180 wins
19 loss

7,333 pts scored
1921 points against

7 state titles
3 state runner up

197 games vs AAA(div. 5/6)......2 vs. AAA(DIv. 4) ......0 vs AA(div. 3a or lower)

thats why!

Let's just hope Phoebus wins the state title based on past history then. The fact they have been a dominant school in the past don't mean they a class above everyone this year. You must be a Dallas Cowboy fan(sorry fellow posters) because almost every time someone debates a Cowboy fan about the current season, they always reflect on "How many rings do your team got?" Lol that has nothing to do with the current year. I don't think Phoebus will win the State Championship. If they do, Congrats to them.

EVERYBODY LISTEN!!!!! Phoebus is a great team but they will NOT win a state championship this season. The 3a state champion will come from the west. More than likely the MIGHTY WARRIORS from Ridgeway will repeat as THE 3A STATE CHAMPS!!! Don't sleep on the Warriors. They are locked, loaded, and ready to roll!!! No disrespect to anyone or their respective teams. Good luck to everyone but remember where you heard it first!!!

you two must also play the lottery...well, we do need money for the schools. im not here to change your minds...only to tell you what your future looks like for the next 10 yrs....after the reclassification yalls comments will have some validity.....dont feel bad,,,the cubs still have die hard faithfuls too....the sport needs them for the capital wheel to turn.......

You guys from MV are killing me you played two good teams all year long and got beat by both of them (JF and GW).Have you ever seen one of those teams from the 757 play?I have many times over the years and the teams in our area don't even compare as much as I hate to say that.Wouldn't be too smart to call out Phoebus like that they are a different animal.I also wouldn't overlook Heritage they are playing as well as anyone right now.

Not once have I called out Phoebus, I definitely respect the Phoebus Phantoms program. I would be a fool not to respect what they've done. My argument is that I'm not about to just put them on a level above everyone else and the playoffs haven't even started and just hand the championship. Why would anyone do that? I'm saying past history won't win you a championship. They have to go out and play for it. That goes for any team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT